Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#26 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 5:38 PM
No, I intended on contacting them again because I feel like there may have been a misunderstanding the last time. If I understood them correctly, I cannot retrieve accidentally deleted files, only change ones I currently have to past conditions. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a back-up in the first place, though.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#27 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 6:11 PM
Yes. It sounds like your backup program is lacking in some basic functionality.

You should consider starting to make backups using that FAQ I linked before. I tend to backup when something important happened while I was playing, and to keep several backups just in case.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#28 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 6:20 PM Last edited by mdsnln : 9th Jun 2012 at 5:04 AM.
Yep, I'm looking into that right now. Thank you for all your help.
Instructor
#29 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 4:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Anyone else who tests this, please provide the following:
- Operating system?
- EPs and SPs installed. Are you using any Collection packs?
- Are your games on DVD or downloaded?
- Have you installed all of the patches?
- Are you using the AGS?
- Results of the test: were your shipped neighborhoods reset?

For me, the neighborhoods did not reset.
Windows 7, 64 bit
All EPs on cd (AL on dvd), no SPs or collection packs
I believe all patches are installed
I do have AGS installed.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#30 Old 3rd Jul 2012 at 11:12 AM
Thanks for the information, Mordant17!

To anyone reading: I'd still like to find out why this is happening so please post with your results of this test.

The reason I'm finding this so intriguing is that it makes no sense- if refreshing the config folder causes hood corruption then it means that it is pointless to backup your neighbourhoods without also making a copy of the config folder. And as for moving hoods from one computer to another...
Site Helper
#31 Old 3rd Jul 2012 at 4:46 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 3rd Jul 2012 at 7:11 PM.
I wonder whether you could run the game to generate the new config, then restore your neighborhoods from backup without any problem? It may just require the extra step.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#32 Old 25th Jul 2012 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I wonder whether you could run the game to generate the new config, then restore your neighborhoods from backup without any problem? It may just require the extra step.

Maybe someone ould test this? I can't reproduce it in my game at all.
Site Helper
#33 Old 26th Jul 2012 at 2:07 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 26th Jul 2012 at 4:18 AM.
I'll try to find some time to test this tonight.

[Update:]

I decided to try two tests: restoring neighborhoods which had been visited since they had been reset, and ones which hadn't. I wanted to make sure that restoring a neighborhood without visiting it would still work. Yes, the technique works for both. Once the new Config folder has been generated, you can restore your neighborhoods freely.

Other observations:
- The game seems to have added all of the shipped lots to the lot catalog again. I now have a ton of quadruplicate lots (from the multiple tests that I've performed).
- For some reason, the base-game neighborhoods seem to be immune. Pleasantview, Strangetown, and Veronaville were not reset with the other neighborhoods.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#34 Old 9th Aug 2012 at 2:12 AM
Thank you, Mootilda! I've added a note in our backup article, so that people will be aware of this issue.

Game Help:Back Upswiki

Thanks to all who assisted in this thread.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 12:50 AM
I have a problem too. Today I downloaded multiple files and I accidentally moved them to the Config folder instead of Downloads, now I am scared of ruining my game because I don't know which files don't belong to the Config folder or if it would make a change on the game. I think the files of the Config folder start with "CTN" so I think I should remove the .package files that don't start with "CTN" but I'm still not sure how will I know which files belong to this folder. I What should I do? HELP!

:)
Page 2 of 2