Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2014 at 9:27 PM
Default No Sims 4 for Mac
They are currently only "focusing" on Sims 4 for PC, no information on Mac at this point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimGuruRusskii/status/476086081662627840

Seriously??? They hype the game for a whole year and wait until NOW to tell us?
What happened to "THE SIMS 4 IN DEVELOPMENT FOR PC AND MAC" which is taken from EA's own homepage a year ago??

http://www.ea.com/news/the-sims-4-i...-for-pc-and-mac

Are you kidding me? I've played The Sims ever since the first game and now you're telling me that I need to get a new computer to play the latest game?
Fuck this. I'm out. Officially.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 10th Jun 2014 at 9:31 PM
I'm concerned about this too. I'm also confused because EA released that article in May saying it would be for Mac as well???

I suppose if this is true, I can just play the PC game on my Mac through bootcamp, but I still wish they would just release it in backwards compatibility like they did with all of the Sims 3 games.
Inventor
#3 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 4:48 AM
Honestly, I think this is a good thing, and here's why. Sims 3 on Mac used Cider. That's why it crashes so much on Mac. In fact, having used both Windows Vista and the Mac version of Sims 3, I can say that the Mac version of Sims 3 crashed at least twice more in the short time I was willing to deal with it (a few days at most) than Windows Vista did in the entire time I used it (from about six months after it launched until Windows 7 launched)! City of Heroes' Mac version, which also used Cider, gave me the same crashing-more-than-Vista experience.

EA is doing the right thing by canning Cider. Besides, it's not like they have a choice. Cider was discontinued in 2011, so EA couldn't use it to make a quick-but-terrible Mac version of Sims 4 even if they wanted to. Instead, they have to (gasp!) do it properly!

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Test Subject
#4 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 4:59 AM
This just makes me sad. I guess I'll uninstall The Sims from not only my computer but from my life. Not because I want to like I really want to love this game. But I can't anymore. TS1 was my favorite game between me and my grandmother back when I was 9 years old. TS2 brought new gameplay features that were cute, funny, sad, overall emotional not only to the sims but to me. TS3 was a buggy mess that had repetitive and robotic gameplay, really nice graphics but lacked the love I felt for the game. and now TS4 isn't even going to be released for the platform I want to play it on. I really don't want to play TS2 for the rest of my gaming life. Basically, this whole franchise is a big sad sigh in my eyes atm

I want to love TS4/EA but idk

"It's not you EA, it's ........ actually it is you to be quite honest."
Scholar
#6 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 6:02 AM
See PSDuckie's post. I love Apple products but OSX is just not a great games platform yet and cider sucks. This isn't something to quit the franchise over--the game being low quality might be one--just install boot camp. (No really, it's easy. The ability to install windows is built right into OSX, it has an easy wizard.)

Tl dr: this ranks very low on the list of EA injustices, and I say that as someone on their fourth MacBook.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 6:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
See PSDuckie's post. I love Apple products but OSX is just not a great games platform yet and cider sucks. This isn't something to quit the franchise over--the game being low quality might be one--just install boot camp. (No really, it's easy. The ability to install windows is built right into OSX, it has an easy wizard.)

Tl dr: this ranks very low on the list of EA injustices, and I say that as someone on their fourth MacBook.

What is Bootcamp like on Macs, I have yet to use it.

And yeah, I'd like to hope they'll try to develop a playable Mac version, but it's hard to ask too much of The Sims Studio anymore :/
Scholar
#8 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 6:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iShiila
What is Bootcamp like on Macs, I have yet to use it.

And yeah, I'd like to hope they'll try to develop a playable Mac version, but it's hard to ask too much of The Sims Studio anymore :/

You run Boot Camp Assistant in OSX. It takes you through a wizard that sets aside however much of your free drive space you want to dedicate to windows, then helps you create install media, you'll need a windows install disc, or an image you can download from MS and put on a thumb drive. (It walks you all of this.) after that you can boot into OSX or windows by holding down the Option key when you boot up. Gameplay quality will depend on your mac's specs but otherwise...it's basically just windows. It'll talk to your mac's hardware (such as wifi etc), no problem.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#9 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 9:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PSDuckie
(...) Cider was discontinued in 2011, (...)
That's the first time that I hear this. Do you have a source for this?
Forum Resident
#10 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 1:00 PM
Ugh what?! I have Bootcamp installed but rarely use it, was considering deleting the partition the other day (it's probably not big enough anyway). And now they do this? Seriously, seriously disappointed.

I play Sims 3 on a late 2013 retina MacBook Pro and I can't see any difference between how it runs on OS X and how it runs in Bootcamp - therefore I keep it on OS X just for ease of access. My MBP is the top specc'd one though, not sure how it'd play on less powerful ones.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne

Boot Camp is at best an impractical way to go about the issue - the problem is that ever since TS4 was first announced over a year ago the official word has been that it was in development for PC and MAC.

They didn't even mention it in the E3 official reveal. As far as I've seen the only place where there is any mention of it is on SimGuruRusskii's twitter - in Spanish.
Test Subject
#12 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 1:00 AM
I find this personally frustrating because I've bought a new MBP just for 4, but, objectively, this does make them look rather unprofessional - to have stated it would be for both, and then to mention it in such an off-hand way WITHOUT explaining WHY. Of course things go wrong in the development and creation of ANY project, but they ought to at least explain the reason, and then it would be a lot easier for people to understand the cause and not get stroppy about it.
For instance, I believe the statement at E3 came out as 'The Sims 4 will be available Septemer 2nd on pc'.
Naturally, this is not something that will come up in a major media presentation to the crowd at E3, but all it would take is an explanation in interview, for example in the one I've just seen with SimsVIP - Just a one-line statement, like 'Yes, although we originally claimed it would be for both pc and mac, because of the decline of cider, we have to arrange a conversion using an appropriate source so that mac players will get the same functionality as pc players, and we expect this will take some time/x months'. At the moment, it just sounds like they have NO plans to convert it, although they'd be silly not to.