Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 20th May 2017 at 12:00 AM
I always place them by family. That's how I realized this isn't nearly enough. I had one main family per row, I could fit about three pairs per with decent spacing. I was then going to put flowers on some of the graves, and the more recent ones, dirt terrain paint. I got the idea of going up from this cemetery.

The graves are only recoverable because I have that no-unlink-on-delete mod. It's one of the mods I keep in the Permanent Downloads folder. That doesn't get taken out of my game for ANY reason.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 21st May 2017 at 11:44 AM
I always enjoy seeing what people have done with Pleasantview, very nice.
Instructor
#28 Old 21st May 2017 at 4:51 PM
That makes sense, I would also place them by family too! The other cemetery is really cool, and I'm glad you drew inspiration from it. I think I prefer yours a little bit better though . I have an essential mods folder as well, so I'm glad I'm not the only one

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 21st May 2017 at 5:40 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 21st May 2017 at 9:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Emperor Crat
That makes sense, I would also place them by family too! The other cemetery is really cool, and I'm glad you drew inspiration from it. I think I prefer yours a little bit better though . I have an essential mods folder as well, so I'm glad I'm not the only one

Well you kinda hafta, with all those mods out that that will break the game if they aren't there anymore. Or things like notownieregen that would cause havoc on your real hoods if missing. I also include modding tools in there so I never have to restart when I realize I'm missing the Blender or the Batbox or the Teleporter. From the other cemetery I got the idea to 'go up' and that was it, but it was enough!

Now I'm working on adding the Tricou extended family to my Strangetown. I already have a downtown (Belladonna Cove) so just adding another downtown won't get me the family. I could simply add it as a subhood, but then I get all the extra townies, and I just want the family, the teens, and the teen's new families (I took about half the townies and made them the teen's families). It was just too weird for me to have 6 teens all with the same dead dad and no moms. So I summoned all the townies, and sorted them by appearance and made five new little families (two of the teens became full brothers). So my two options are edit the template, to only include the sims I want, or do an Ark lot, and try to put all the sims and the dead onto the same lot. That didn't work last night (cuz I didn't follow my own damn instructions properly), so I'm trying again this morning.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 22nd May 2017 at 8:04 PM
I got my Tricous properly transplanted, and that's when I realized my Strangetown suffers from a horrible bloat of redundant sims. So, I went through every single dratted one of them, and deleted each nobody - a sim that knows no one, using the batbox Prep for Delete method. I removed ~120 sims! Geez! I still have an entire army of Professors though, not sure how I want to deal with them. I could do the same method, but it is much more involved and much less safe when used on sims that other sims know. End up with a lot of squiggly lines and bad gossip and bad memories. Yes, there are ways of dealing with that too, but is it worth it? I'm thinking no.

Previously, I had taken all my townies and plopped them down on a lot and sorted them all into families, then Sim Blender'd them into real families. I didn't really want to send them all back to the townie pool, that feels so homeless, but now I have like 20 townie families in my bin. I'm going to move most of them into apartments in Strangetown's downtown Belladonna Cove, but it's hard to find that many apartments with multiple kid rooms. I don't think I'll actually play any of these townie families, so I could, in theory, shove them all into an apartment that is actually too small for them, but that seems mean. I also plan on putting playables into at least one of each of those apartment complexes, so it would make sense if everyone living there was a similar family size.
Instructor
#31 Old 23rd May 2017 at 12:00 AM
Woah, 120 sims! Wasn't that rather tedious? Maybe I'm not nearly as patient as you are Are you playing a 'cleaned/fixed' Strangetown, or the one shipped with the game? Unlike you, I have a certain disdain for townies, with their aberrant clothing combinations, and their aesthetically repulsive facial structures, but to each their own. I'm sure they wouldn't mind sharing an apartment-that happened to catch on fire . Just kidding (Or maybe not quite )

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 23rd May 2017 at 3:30 AM
It was tedious, but not that awful. The cat teleporter made short work of it. I summoned everyone from each family, made them all selectable, then move_object deleted them if they knew anyone. Then I was left with a group and Prep Deleted them. Wrote down their name and their number and moved on to the next. When I was sure I had checked everyone, I had 2/3 of a page full, triple columned. Then you open up Simpe, find them by their number, write down their character file number, and delete them. Repeat that for all of them, then save and close and open the character folder and find all the numbers again and delete. Done and gone.

This is actually my original Strangetown, the one that shipped with the game when I first got it on a Mac so long ago. I stupidly loaded the neighborhood without any mods each time a new EP came out, so I quickly got swamped with extra sims. I have clean/fixed templates in place now, but this was before all that. Luckily, because my playing style is more creating than playing, many of those sims never saw the light of day, making it easy for me to delete them again.

I also can't stand how ugly they all are. That was a big part of the reason I made them all into little family units, so I could fix their hair and makeup and clothes (and their dumbass names) and turn them into sims I could mildly care about. Killing them off doesn't delete them, so that doesn't solve my problem. I'd rather fix them up than start over, it's actually less work. And I get more interesting family units that way, instead of the typical Mom and Dad and 2.3 children.

Tonight I need to take pictures and upload my Round 3 Foundation challenge apartment lot. Modern for the Mr. Evans's of the world!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 5:44 PM
I've uploaded my terraced Hillside Cemetery! http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=595697
I probably would not have if it hadn't been for your interest and the fact that I had to rebuild it so many times.

retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 12th Jul 2017 at 12:53 AM
Back to work on getting this hood ready for upload. T minus 8 days!!

Yesterday and today I was working on creating a custom horizon and custom sky for this hood. I always hate it when I see amazing pictures of neighborhoods or lots, and then I go to download it and it looks nothing like the pictures. That's why I wanted to include the sky and horizon deco, so when you download this, it will look just as pretty!

Now I am left with tracking down all the credit links for all my CC, then finishing up my photos, and uploading EVERYTHING.
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 12th Jul 2017 at 7:41 AM
Your Pleasantly Thriving Hood, is looking very nice.

Ahh do you keep track of the links when you download CC?

I do most of the time, except for a few that i get from tumblr, I lose track of them very easily.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 12th Jul 2017 at 8:32 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 14th Jul 2017 at 4:39 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
Ahh do you keep track of the links when you download CC? I do most of the time, except for a few that i get from tumblr, I lose track of them very easily.
No, I mostly only download from MTS, so when it's time to upload something, I just do a search for the creator's name here, or if that's missing, then the name of the item, or a description. If that doesn't turn up the item, and I have no other clues and can't remember where it came from, I'll go back and replace it in the lot with something else.

I'm actually culling my hood's CC right now. This hood started with 300 pieces of CC this morning, but I've gone through and discovered that a good portion of them are only used in a single lot, so I'm going through and removing/replacing those items. I'm down to 250 now and while I'd love to get it under 100, I don't think that's likely at all. I have 50 pieces that are used over and again in a number of my lots, so that leaves 200 to finish picking through tomorrow. 150 could be doable, maybe? 175? I'll get it under 200 for sure. That sounds like a lot, but this hood has over 50 lots in it, and doors, windows, and curtains are unfair in that they have 2 pieces per (straight and diag) each. It's an undertaking. I wish I had remembered to do this part first, before I wrote down each lot's price tag, because now they are all wrong - and probably so are whatever pictures I had already taken (had maybe half done?). Bleh. Still. It will all be worth it in the end. :lovestruc

Edit: Under 130! I'm not quite done yet, but I'm pretty close to being done with the CC monster.
Instructor
#37 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 6:54 AM
And my cc is still accumulating... But I'm so attached to them
Pleasantly thriving is well... pleasantly thriving! Looks breathtaking

Check it out ;)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emperor Crat
And my cc is still accumulating... But I'm so attached to them
And that's why I was trying to pare mine all down. You already have plenty of CC you love, you don't need anything that isn't vitally essential to this hood from me! Also, it was easier for me to delete these items because I'm working on a copy of this hood in an AnyGame, so I'm not losing MY copy of my favorite items, I'm just not sharing my toys. Down to 109 items, and holding there. Now I'm tracking down credit for all of them.

With some help from the Help forum, I tracked down my last problem. Turns out I was missing the shadow master for the Holy Simoly Add Ons set. Without it, a bunch of my curtains had flashy blue shadows. Now the only reason I'll need to tweak my hood is if I can't find credit for a bit of CC.

I tried raring everything up to see how far I needed to go yet, hoping I could put both the hood and the downloads into the same rar, and the first couple of tries it was just over the 50MB limit. I compressorized everything and still, just barely over. Then I looked at where all my file size was, and it was mostly my lots, not the CC, so I opened up my lots in SimPE and tried deleting out the jpgs that the game makes on saves so that it has images when you want to upload them to the Exchange. That saved a TON of space, and the game regens them every time you save a lot, so no problems there either. I wonder if there is a way to mod the game so those images don't get generated anymore. With the Exchange dead, they serve no purpose. I'm sure it would speed up saving, and maybe other parts of the game too. Definitely would lower the space the game takes up on all our computers. My rar went from 53MB to 33MB just nuking those images.
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 1:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
And that's why I was trying to pare mine all down. You already have plenty of CC you love, you don't need anything that isn't vitally essential to this hood from me! Also, it was easier for me to delete these items because I'm working on a copy of this hood in an AnyGame, so I'm not losing MY copy of my favorite items, I'm just not sharing my toys. Down to 109 items, and holding there. Now I'm tracking down credit for all of them.

With some help from the Help forum, I tracked down my last problem. Turns out I was missing the shadow master for the Holy Simoly Add Ons set. Without it, a bunch of my curtains had flashy blue shadows. Now the only reason I'll need to tweak my hood is if I can't find credit for a bit of CC.

I tried raring everything up to see how far I needed to go yet, hoping I could put both the hood and the downloads into the same rar, and the first couple of tries it was just over the 50MB limit. I compressorized everything and still, just barely over. Then I looked at where all my file size was, and it was mostly my lots, not the CC, so I opened up my lots in SimPE and tried deleting out the jpgs that the game makes on saves so that it has images when you want to upload them to the Exchange. That saved a TON of space, and the game regens them every time you save a lot, so no problems there either. I wonder if there is a way to mod the game so those images don't get generated anymore. With the Exchange dead, they serve no purpose. I'm sure it would speed up saving, and maybe other parts of the game too. Definitely would lower the space the game takes up on all our computers. My rar went from 53MB to 33MB just nuking those images.

Sounds good.

I decided to fill out your School survey, I thought it was interesting. I might even set up a school or so in my game, not sure however I do have the Inge Jones' school stuff to do it if I want to heh. I most likely won't do a school, but still I had a good time filling out the survey. I hope that you find my answers interesting. I am the one with the Pantheist St Aspyr btw. lol

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
retired moderator
Original Poster
#40 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 3:53 AM
St Aspyr got included once I realized it's full name should be "St Aspyr's School for the Developmentally Challenged", since Aspyr never finished porting all the EPs over to Mac. Thank you for filling out my survey! Once I've gotten this hood project off my plate, I'll be going back to my school project. It is almost done as well, I'm working out the last few kinks with the buses/uniforms, but then it's ready for release too!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 21st Jul 2017 at 4:49 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 23rd Jul 2017 at 4:54 AM.
Good news guys! Uploaded, submitted and I'm in the queue! Got through my first round of revisions with link issues. Was a bit shaky, but with this much CC, it could have been worse. I'm thinking it will go live sometime tomorrow or Saturday provided nothing dire happens.

Edit: EEEeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk!!!!! I Can't Even!
Fully Renovated Pleasantview Now Available!
Scholar
#42 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 2:54 PM
Amazing work!!! Once you have taken a breather, will you consider uploading the University subhood you mentioned? It is almost impossible to find Uni subhoods that look realistic.

PS! I also love West Weasels! It would be perfect as a shopping hood with all those businesses already there.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
retired moderator
Original Poster
#43 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 5:23 PM
West Weasels has been a shopping hood for me almost since I uploaded it. Currently it's being sub to Riverblossom, but I'm considering turning it desert and moving it to Strangetown - it looks strangely pretty that way, and that's where all my Supers are anyways. I'm thinking I want to use Riverblossom as my sub for Pleasantview, but I'm not sure about it all yet, so I haven't. I *hate* Desdirata Valley and Blue Water, so I'm not even really considering them, though I have considered yanking out their playables to become townies.

Funny you should mention the University. I was just added it into my own Pleasantivew last night, as I have like 7 teens ready to go to college. It's still only half done, but my little sister who plays uni all the time, assured me that you only actually need a dorm/(or house) to get through it, so I'm going to add to it while I play it. This is about what it still looks like right now.

My sister also was adamantly against adding a downtown to her hood. She plays Riverblossom as her main, and I've gotten her to add my new Pleasantview as a shopping, because she's never played Pleasantview and I've convinced her she is missing a big piece of Sim Lore/History without it, but she doesn't want a downtown. The only ones available are too 'city' for her hood, and they never include all the places sims go to work so she'd have to build a police station and a hospital and a post office. Maybe my next project is a smalltown USA downtown for her. The one perk to that is it would be small!

Some in my upload thread said I should do Strangetown next. I'm not sure I'd like to take on that project just yet or ever. My current Strangetown is pretty developed already, so maybe it's not as awful as I thought. Idk, I'm not even close to being happy with it yet, so it would be a while. I also have a really nice map started for a contest, but that is a REALLY old dusty project that I'm not going to pick back up for a while yet. I have too many hood projects going on! >.< Hi, I'm Phaenoh, and this is how I sim.

Instructor
#44 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 6:21 PM
Strangetown looks rather aesthetically cohesive! Is the university you're making prestigious, or merely pedestrian? Your hood projects always look so stunning!

Check it out ;)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#45 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 6:58 PM
My university is the University of Simsimati, a state school based on my own experience at the U of Cinci and growing up just off Purdue Univ's campus. My uni is a good state school. Not prestigious, but the degrees are respected.

Right now I'm working on getting family portraits of all my current Pleasantview families, so soon y'all be able to see my simmies as well as where they live!
Scholar
#46 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 7:17 PM
I prefer adding new sims by way of the University, so they have some skills and relationships before moving to town. And I am with your sister, I never add a (regular) Downtown to my hood. I prefer a second suburb/shopping district instead. I am a smalltown girl at heart!

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
retired moderator
Original Poster
#47 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 11:39 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 25th Jul 2017 at 5:01 PM.
So here are 4 of my 7 family clans. I've decided I'm going to take pictures of the whole family right before the first kid goes off to college, then Mom and Dad have a nice photo of the last time their whole family was living under one roof. The three that are missing are not yet at the send kids to college phase (Goth-Dreamer) and the other two Pleasant-Dreamer and Pleasant I just don't want to tackle yet. These families have gotten BIG. 18 sims are scheduled for the Pleasant photo! Dunno what I want to do about that one though. In my game, Daniel is still furious with Dustin and Angie, and Lili is still mad at Daniel, so maybe I need to wait till he dies in a few days before taking that photo. I can't think of any good reason the whole family would agree to this photo in their current relationship statuses.

Here's my Newbury-Brookes-LeCroix family. They've always been my favorites, and I've played them the most. Brandi got remarried after the death of Skip, and her husband Mark, helped her raise her three boys, Dustin, Beau, and Skip Jr. and then they had four more kids, Michael, Jake, Tessa, and Mindy. Dustin married his highschool sweetheart Angela Pleasant, and they had triplet girls, Charity, Beauty, and Joy. Beau found love in college and married Blaze Vicard, and Skip Jr. also met and married a girl from college, Emma.

Next up is the Pleasant-Burk family. Jennifer is Daniel Pleasant's sister, so this group is cousins to the Pleasant twins. Lucy has graduated college and married a nice boy named Jacob Tennison. Susan, Michelle, and Bradley are still at home.

This next family is one I've made entirely in CAS. Twin brothers Timothy and Thomas Tradger. Tom married Emily and they had James and then Janine, and then twins Seth and Sara. James is currently going steady with Tasha Gott, and they are going to go to college together.

My Caliente sisters have been raising their family together since Michael died the second time. Dina and Michael Bachel had a daughter Josie. Dina sadly won't live to see her daughter to college in a few days, but at least she'll get the orphan scholarship for it. Nina and Don never married, and while they each sleep around, they only had kids with each other, they had a daughter, Dawn, and a son Nico. Nico is romance and looks to be following in his father's footsteps. Nina will get both girls off to college, but Nina won't last to see Nico to college. He'll go live with his father for a few years before he goes to college, so his dad is going to influence him pretty heavily here soon.

Screenshots
Instructor
#48 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 3:49 PM
The families look so interesting and vibrant!! I love how they are posed Brandi sure had a lot of children
Thanks for the update :D

Check it out ;)
Top Secret Researcher
#49 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 11:45 AM
All of your Families look really good. I love how they are posed too. Lovely Strangetown.

Page 2 of 2