Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 2:07 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Defaults loading order
I've seen creators write that their things clash with something else, but if you made sure one of them gets loaded first, it wouldn't be a problem. But I'm not sure how exactly that works and what it applies to. Is it just that the game will generally read what it loads first and ignore any version of the same resource that comes after that?

The actual question is if it would work with a default. If a creator defaulted an object and their package contains the textures, is a simple texture default still gonna override it as long as it gets loaded first?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 2:33 PM
It is actually the opposite. What ever loads last gets chosen. This is why Default replacements works...they overwrite the original.
But @gummilutt is better at explaining mods & load order.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 3:47 PM
Good to know, I'll try that out then.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 5:26 PM
@sam&skye , I'll try for a concrete example. Slig and I both made replacements for the Nightlife cars, but I split the replacements for each model into chunks (cars w/flames, cars w/stripes, etc.) while he made one big package for each model. So, one of my packages for a model can be used with his package for that model, but my replacement textures won't appear unless my package loads last. However, all the cars for that model will have his version of the glass parts because he replaced the TXMTs for those parts, and I didn't. Also, some of the cars that use my replacement textures may use his TXMT values for the body, because it appears that he replaced the TXMTs for all the cars' bodies, while I only replaced a TXMT if the replacement's TXMT and the Maxis one used different values.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 7:34 PM Last edited by HarVee : 30th Jan 2018 at 7:52 PM.
It should be noted that CC-to-CC overrides in the example above will only work if the CC doesn't include any unmodified resource from the original package in their CC. If CC-A includes mesh alterations, and original package textures and CC-B loads after CC-A but includes texture overrides and the default package mesh, then the mesh replacement of CC-A will not load as CC-B took priority. You typically don't have to worry about this much, if at all really. Most CC creators don't include resources from the original package except the resources they modified. But it's still something worth noting.

The game loads files alphabetically. Starting with root folder first, then subfolders. _ and - are read first, then numbers, then letters. The game will read file names with other special characters, but these characters are not recognized by the game's internal file system and therefor has trouble reading them causing the game to take longer to load them.

Best way to ensure a piece of content overrides correctly is to put Z_ in front of the file name. The more Zs you add, the more priority is given to it. As Z is the last character recognized internally and thus files that begin with it load last.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 8:37 PM
Okay @HarVee I'm not sure if I followed correctly... the piece of CC I'm talking about is HL's recolourable Zecutine mod stairs, which seems to contain a whole clone of the stairs, including untouched textures. My piece of CC is a texture override of those same stairs, only including the texture resource (no TXMT or anything). That still means they work together as long as my package gets loaded last, right?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 9:03 PM
Clones take an existing item and give it a new GUID, so the cloned object becomes recognized as a new object independent from the object it was cloned from. But yes, make sure your override loads after those stairs and it'll work fine.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#8 Old 30th Jan 2018 at 10:19 PM
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 11:49 AM
@HugeLunatic
Okay, problem solved. Have you updated it in your downloads, too? I would've PM'd you about that but I kind of just assumed that the wise HugeLunatic who regularly comes to my rescue and makes all the CEP's before me knew what they were doing.