Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 6:12 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default downloaded CC has weird shadows in bodyshop?
So i recently decided to check out some Touhou sims content, and after downloading some, went to check them out in bodyshop, only to find them all having weird shadows. The thumbnails look fine and I checked the textures and they seemed normal, so I'm not sure what's going on... someone mind helping me out? I found them over here: http://modthesims.info/t/531823
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 3:13 PM
If the outfit shows fine in the creator's pictures this problem is usually caused by a broken Normals/bump map. Delete (or fix) it (and belonging TXMT resources), and the outfit may work fine again.

If it's not, the outfit also has broken normals (the sharp lines on the sleeves). If those problems show on all the outfits with that mesh, the mesh itself may be broken.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 5:34 PM
Oh okay, I'm not too savvy with the inner workings of CC, so could someone tell me which files im looking for in SimPE and how to fix or delete them? Or if there's a guide for it somewhere? Thank you.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 5:45 PM
Usually it's enough to remove the bump map (the grey-toned picture with "NormalMap" in the name) when clicking on the TXTR resource. You can do this by right-clicking the resource and choosing "delete". It will show with a line through the text until you save the file. This is usually enough.

If you want to be thorough and delete the bump map entirely, go to the material defination (TXMT), and delete these lines:
*stdMatNormalMapTextureAddressingU: tile
*stdMatNormalMapTextureAddressingV: tile
*stdMatNormalMapTextureEnabled: true
*stdMatNormalMapTextureName: ----------stdMatNormalMap----
(click one of them, choose "delete" to the right. When you've deleted all, click "commit" and save the file).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 11:24 PM
Welp, I deleted it all and it didnt seem to fix anything, so I guess the meshes are broken. Thank you for helping!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd Mar 2018 at 11:34 PM
That mesh (seems) to have been *smooth all-ed* and this is not good, never for a body mesh. You cannot un-smooth all a mesh...
To me this is broken beyond repair.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Mar 2018 at 1:33 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Mar 2018 at 2:06 AM.
After fixing a mesh or recolor, remember to delete the cache files. They save a "ghost" version of the old file (for faster loading), so when you go ingame or in Bodyshop, the problem may persist until the cache files are deleted.

The mesh was probably autosmoothed, causing the harsh lines in seams - but the weird lighting problem most often comes from a borked bump map. Quite likely it's a combination of both.

Do you know which of the downloads it is? Or are all the outfits in that WCIF topic like this?

Edit: I checked out a few random outfits from the "touhou sims2 skins" download, and it's a combo of both. Most of the outfits with bump maps have too black and white textures (bump/normal maps should be grey-toned to look good), and a lot of the meshes have borked normals and seams. Some look alright, though. The issues may not be very noticeable in a game where bump maps (shaders) are turned off, so that's probably why the creator left the outfits like that. If those files are old (says 2009, may be older?), the creator may not have had a computer that could handle shaders (my first laptop couldn't, so back when I got a new computer that could handle bump maps, imagine my shock when half of the outfits I loved suddenly turned into a mightmare of bumps in all the wrong places )

To see if a mesh is borked, open up the mesh file and click the GMDC resource, then the "preview" button (wait for it to load). If the mesh has easy to see seams between front/back parts, or in areas such as the arms, legs or neck, it's got the autosmooth issue. If there are parts that suddenly go from dark to ightl or opposite when turning the mesh, or choppy "squares" of light or dark in certain areas, there's an additional normals issue.