Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 5:54 PM
Default WCIF Mod to Increase and Decrease Learning Speed
I'm looking for a mod or even an object that will make earning a skill point both harder and easier. Essentially, I'd love to see something that cuts the base learning speed either in half or by a quarter. On the other side, I'd love to see something that increases the speed by 2, 3 or even 4x for my robots, aliens and certain "gifted Sims". I could have sworn I saw one online, but I lost all my bookmarks (new PC).

I definitely already use the Thinking Cap (certain circumstances) and Smart Milk (certain homes), just in case someone may think that I forgot about them.

Thank you for any help!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 3:03 PM
Does this really not exist? I would love a mod which makes it possible to set skilling speed individually for each sim. I use a mod which makes skilling slower for all aims. On top of that I already use the BatBox to give the Smart Milk effect to my high intelligence toddlers, so that they can learn their skills quickly, but it would be really great to have a mod which, say, halves the skilling speed for a sim, for my low intelligence sims.

I know that there are mods which increase or decrease the skilling speed overall, for gaining skill points, at least, but I would love something that works like the "Make Me Smart" option on the BatBox but which decreases the skilling speed, for example to half the usual rate (50%). I would love to be able to choose from a range of skilling speeds for my sims, ranging from 10% to 300%......

Does anyone know of a mod/set of mods which would make this possible? Is it even theoretically possible to make such a mod, if one doesn't already exist?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 5:46 PM Last edited by FranH : 22nd Apr 2017 at 6:06 PM.
Chaavik made one:
Study Skills Faster
It only makes the process faster, not harder.

Cyjon made a hack to make career progress harder if one didn't learn all the skills necessary:
Edukashun Iz Gud

lientebollemeis also made something:
New skillspan: 28 hours instead of 1 hour
A set of 3 different speeds:
"Normally (default) it takes 1 hour to gain a skillpoint. With these mods it takes 2 or 6 or 28 hours to gain a skillpoint."

You're welcome.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 6:53 PM
I appreciate the effort Fran, but it's not what I'm looking for. I have seen all of those. The skillspan affects ALL Sims and not for individual Sims. I just want to make select ones in one Neighborhood "dumb".
I already use the Job Stopinator for controlling job levels, and I don't want to speed up skilling for ALL Sims, just a select few.

I was seeking a solution that would more so make Sims "dumbed down" or "genius" on an individual level.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 4:20 AM
Well, from what I know in my game, my pixels are sometimes very stupid and refuse to learn anything. They don't skill unless pushed to do it, and then they'll be grumbling all day about missing time from playing games.

It was worth a mention, is all.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 10:39 AM
I'd say that's because the skilling time is set for the whole game/neighbourhood of sims and not individually - what you probably need is a hack that gives a sim a token (much like the smart milk token) that modifies the time they take to learn stuff. Actually, I'd like that myself.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 10:58 AM
I have a hack from Christianlov that manipulates the speed of pets learning the pet skills. Maybe someone could work out from that how to apply it to sims.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 11:02 AM
Pet files were constructed differently though since they were designed rather further into the game cycle than sim files were - there are some significant differences where the developers either wanted to do different things or they had learnt from past mistakes. Still doesn't mean it can't be done.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#9 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 11:56 AM
Not sure, but think it's Twojeffs at simbology that modded the thinking cap to change learning speed slower and faster. I don't know the link. (:

Duh, got up at 4am in pain and my brain is not focusing, lol.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I'd say that's because the skilling time is set for the whole game/neighbourhood of sims and not individually - what you probably need is a hack that gives a sim a token (much like the smart milk token) that modifies the time they take to learn stuff. Actually, I'd like that myself.

Yes, I think that that would be the best (only?) way to do it. I have seen a potions mod which includes a potion that increases skilling speed for the sim who drinks the potion which works using tokens. It changes it to the same speed that Smart Milk changes to, though, so it's basically the same as using the Bat Box to set sims to "smart". I imagine that perhaps it would be possible to make a mod where there is an object that can be clicked on in Live Mode to set the skilling speed for an individual sim, using tokens like the Smart Milk does. But with a range of different skilling speeds, both faster and slower. I would especially like it to work for toddlers, but for all ages would be absolutely amazing! Unfortunately I have no idea how to go about making such a mod, or indeed if it's even possible.....

**ETA** Christianlov made a modified Thinking Cap.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 5:21 PM
@Duine If you ever find that link, let us know. There are ways to speed things up, like the thinking cap lauratje86 mentioned, but seemingly none to slow Sims down on an individual level.
That token idea is a good one, @Maxon and @lauratje86 That would be an amazing mod to have, if possible.
Theorist
#12 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 8:29 PM
This is the one I was thinking of. I thought it was a faster and slower speed. Now I'm not sure if I have seen mods for slower or not. You can set faster drain on motives with which causes sims to stop skilling to take care of needs if you don't find something, or maybe someone could look at the helmet and see if slower speeds can be added to the helmet. I'm not sure what the other helmet does, both are free in buy mode. This is not the aspiration one, it's just used to mod these items. (:
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=289793

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Test Subject
#13 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 1:52 PM
For anyone looking for this in the future, there are some hacks here to slow down skill gain speed: http://www.omniloth.net/sims/ts2_hacks.htm.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Skywatcher2006
For anyone looking for this in the future, there are some hacks here to slow down skill gain speed: http://www.omniloth.net/sims/ts2_hacks.htm.

But the last update of these was in 2009.
I don't know if they're updated after UNI came out.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Mad Poster
#15 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 5:54 PM
They're not quite what we were looking for anyway, are they? They look like the work for all sims in a 'hood - we were looking for mod that would allow us to increase or decrease the skilling speed for individual sims.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 9:48 PM
What I do is low/regular sims I leave at game speed and smart sims I click the Bat Box -make me smart. You can't use more than one global skilling speed mod, a slow and a fast one would clash. There is no such mod that is set sim by sim, but it is a good idea.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#17 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 3:46 AM
I use a harder skilling mod combined with setting some sims as smart - this gives me two levels of skill speed and the faster one is still slower than in an unmodded game. I add a third skill speed by only allowing the thinking caps to be used by certain sims; other skill boosting items are allowed only on certain lots or in rare cases.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 5:01 AM
There is this game table that you can choose a speed to increase the skill learning, 300x, 500x, 1000x, 10000x. http://affinitysims.com/files/file/...or-al-versions/ Maybe get a hack to make skilling harder, then use the table for your smarter sims? Or you could just leave your "dumb" ones at the default learning.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 9:56 AM
I also use a slower skilling mod which affects all sims. I mainly want to be able to set an extra slow skilling speed for my lower-intelligence toddlers. I use the BatBox to give high-intelligence toddlers faster skilling.

At the moment I have rules about which toddlers may learn to walk, talk and be potty trained, based on toddler intelligence levels and the intelligence level of the relative who will be teaching them.

Currently:

Low intelligence toddlers may not learn any "life skills" unless the sim teaching them has high intelligence, in which case they may be potty trained provided both they and the teaching sim have relevant wants.

Average intelligence toddlers may be potty trained if they have the want, but not if the sim teaching them has low intelligence. They may be taught to walk and/or talk if they have the relevant wants and the sim teaching them has high intelligence and the relevant wants.

High intelligence toddlers have an increased skill speed. If they have the relevant wants they may be potty trained by a low intelligence sim who has the want to do so, potty trained by an average sim, taught to walk and talk by an average sim who has the want to do so and potty trained and taught to walk and talk by a high intelligence sim regardless of wants.

I would like to be able to play that any toddler can learn all the skills, but that the learning speed would vary depending on their and the teaching sim's intelligence level.

In order to do this I would need to have a mod which allowed me to individually set both faster and slower skilling speeds, with a range of different speeds available. This mod, as far as I know, doesn't exist (yet!?).
Test Subject
#20 Old 6th Dec 2017 at 12:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
But the last update of these was in 2009.
I don't know if they're updated after UNI came out.

I'm using them with all EPs & SPs and they're working fine.

Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
They're not quite what we were looking for anyway, are they? They look like the work for all sims in a 'hood - we were looking for mod that would allow us to increase or decrease the skilling speed for individual sims.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise. If I come across anything I'll be sure to post it.