Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2008 at 10:47 PM
Default Everything Is Illuminated

This is by far my favorite book and I was just curious to see if anyone else had read it or seen the movie adaptation. For me, it was one of the few novels that I want to read all over again after the story ends. It's basically about a man who travels to a European country not unlike Romania to search for the woman who saved his grandfather's life during WWII. It's downright amazing and is one of the few books that made me cry. Has anyone else read it or seen the movie?

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 10th May 2008 at 11:55 PM
I remember really enjoying the book. haven't seen the film, is it any good?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th May 2008 at 12:29 AM
I think the film isn't as good as the book- they left out Johnathan's entire book within a book about the history of Trachimbrod, which for me, was the most enjoyable part of the novel. However, Elijah Wood gives Johnathan the really quirkiness I imagined him with and whoever plays Grandfather is very touching. The guy who played Alex is hilarious, as well. I think the director left too much out and that was the problem, but it was okay.

Alchemist
#4 Old 11th May 2008 at 1:20 AM
I heard such good things about it. I bought the audio book for my dad and was planning on listening to it after he was done with it. He never listened to it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th May 2008 at 1:22 AM
You should definitely give it a try. I wouldn't say that the book changed my life as in made me do something drastic, but it certainly gave me a different perspective and some inspiration for my own writing.