Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 20th Jul 2013 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jkl7581
So I have a question

Is it only your first sim that can go to the locations in WA once or does this apply to all future generations?(Not including partners from foreign lands)

It goes for all future generations or how would the children of your first sim get married.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 25th Jul 2013 at 12:46 AM
This island is adorable
Test Subject
#78 Old 28th Jul 2013 at 5:09 AM
This looks like so much fun! Can't wait to try!
Forum Resident
#79 Old 2nd Aug 2013 at 2:39 AM
Just completed this challenge!

Ethan Forlorn was a fisherman. That's all he really knew, and he'd worked hard for it. It never came naturally to him, but he stuck at it because - let's face it - living on an island doesn't give you much else to do! He struck up a deal with the markets on the mainland, and started making a decent profit for all the fish he'd catch. While he enjoyed his days looking out to sea, he knew something was missing in his life, and it wasn't hard to work out what! He saved up as much money as he could, then hopped on a plane to Egypt, to see the pyramids and meet some locals. This is where he met Layla, who was fresh out of high school and still living with her overweight sister and overworked mother. It was love at first sight, and before the end of Ethan's visit, they were married.

Married or not, however, it was no easy task convincing Layla to leave all she knows to come and live with him on a tiny island, with nobody else for hundreds of kilometres. "We'll have babies, as many as you want!" Ethan promised. "And they'll grow to be whoever you wish them to, without outside influences! They'll wake up to the smell of sea salt every morning, and watch the moon hang over the ocean every night! I'll teach them to fish, and I'll give them all the toys and books they could want!"
Still smitten from the quickie marriage and still naive, Layla agreed, and before she could even catch her breath, they were on Ethan's island.

The house wasn't much...in fact, it wasn't even a house at all. "You didn't tell me you slept in a TENT! You didn't tell me we have to eat yogurt and canned soap out of a bar fridge!"
"I'm sorry, I spent all my savings on my plane ticket. Don't worry, we'll work something out. We'll have a house before you know it!"
Ethan kept fishing, all day and well into each night, and Layla started painting. She became very good at it, with galleries around the globe buying her paintings, some even calling them 'masterpieces'. Finally, they had enough to sell the tent and build a house. It wasn't much, but after living rough for so long, anything with a roof on it was pure luxury. Things were finally looking up for the young couple, especially after Layla announced she was pregnant. Ethan was ecstatic, as he knew how lonely his wife had been feeling, but he was also concerned as there was no way to get any medical help for her. Without a hospital or doctor's surgery, they couldn't have any ultrasounds or tests, and if something were to go wrong, it was up to Ethan to fix it. Luckily, as the months progressed, everything went very well. They saved up enough money to add a nursery, and buy toys and wallpaper. The labor came quickly, and before they knew it, their son Einer had been born. Something wasn't right though, the labor kept going. Suddenly, a second baby arrived - a little girl named Isola. Twins! Layla couldn't have been happier. Ethan was concerned about how they could possibly afford two babies, but didn't share this with his wife. He'd promised her the world for her sacrifice, and he wasn't going to let her down.
The family fell into a routine. Ethan would fish at night while Layla slept, tending to the babies when they needed to be fed or changed, and would sell his collections off each morning. Layla would get up, tend to the twins, then paint all day while Ethan slept. It worked well, and the money kept rolling in. "We're so blessed to have twins so they can keep each other company," Layla said. "We work too hard, if we only had one child they'd be so lonely."

The months turned to years, and the twins grew into healthy young adults. Einer learnt how to fish when was barely out of diapers, while Isola seemed naturally talented with a paintbrush - even more so than her mother. Suddenly, money problems were a thing of the past, and their little house turned into a four-storey-and-a-basement mini-mansion.

On the twins 21st birthdays, Einer announced he was going on a trip to France, to meet people and fish on different seas. His parents couldn't have been more thrilled, and encouraged his sister to go too. "No, this is Einer's journey. He needs time to himself." Isola insisted. "Besides, I'm okay here. I enjoy the solitude."
Within two weeks, Einer was in France. Everything so was different from what he'd grown up knowing that was very overwhelming. He got lost very easily (after all, he'd never needed to know how to read a map before!), and was looking for someone who might be able to tell him where he needed to go. This is how he met Charlotte, a free spirit who had been travelling the world but had recently come back home to work. Much like his father did with his mother, he proposed and married her before returning home.

He didn't need to convince her to come with him though, she loved the idea of a little island and couldn't wait to live there. Charlotte was a very good writer, and started straight away. They also started trying for a baby straight away, and within the year, they welcomed their first son Noah into the world...followed not long after by their second son, Coby. The house was near bursting point, but Einer longed for a daughter. "We can't have any more, Einer." Charlotte insisted, "we live on an island with your parents and sister. The place can't handle any more!"
"Please, Char. Just one more. Three is the magic number. Please?" He begged. This arguement dragged on for a long time, as both their sons slowly grew to children. Then came the day nobody wanted to face...the day Ethan passed on. Everyone was distraught. It was hard to imagine a house without him in it. Everyone got lost in their own little worlds, until Charlotte pulled Einer aside. "I have to tell you something. I've been putting it off for awhile now, since...you know. But I have to tell you. I'm pregnant."
Einer, despite still being very upset about his father's passing, was thrilled. He couldn't wait to meet his daughter, and would dream of her face every night. Then the day came when Charlotte went into labor, and the welcomed into the world little Trey, their third son. Einer tried to hide his disappointment, but struggled. It wasn't until Trey was a couple of years old that Einer noticed his son's striking resemblance to his late father. The same while bone hair and boyish good looks. This made Einer realize that he was lucky, he had three wonderful kids and he doesn't need a daughter for them to be complete.

The boys grew quickly, and before anyone knew it, they were young men. Noah was a fisherman like his father and grandfather; Coby spent every night with his telescrope pointed skyward, and discovered many stars, planets and galaxies; and Trey was heavily into fitness, and would spent hours each day running on the treadmill or lifting weights. It was this that took him to China on his 25th birthday, where he could begin to learn martial arts. He never quite learnt the skill though, as he met a lady named Lu who he instantly knew would be the love of his life. The only problem was, she was already married. Luckily for Trey, she felt the connection too, and quickly divorced her husband, whom she had met and married when she was only 15.

It was a relief for the both of them to leave China and the divorce behind, and they settled down quickly back on the island. Lu fell pregnant almost instantly, and the family soon welcomed their next generation, a son named Taro. Taro could write almost before he could talk, and his grandmother Charlotte was happy to guide him.

Soon, even though he was barely ten, he was making money off his books. Trey and Lu were so proud of their son, and on the release of his biggest hit, they bought him a plane ticket to Egypt - "Where your great-grandfather met your great-grandmother and allowed this all to be possible!" Trey explained.
"Don't you want to come with me, dad? It can be a father-son adventure!" he asked. They'd always been close, in both looks and relationship, so the offer was very tempting for Trey.
"No, I can't. This is your time to shine. Go out and see the world. You don't want your dorky old dad cramping your style."
Taro set off, unsure of what to expect. He'd never really been inclined to leave the island, after all, he had everything in the world right there. His dad had asked him to go though, and he'd never said no to his dad before. It took him a week to get the courage up to even leave the base camp. He headed to an old tomb to see what all his campmates had been talking about. That's where he met Shadia, a quiet-spoken girl who worked at the tombs. She sensed his unease and they started talking. Before long, they'd arranged a date for that night, and within three months, Shadia was pregnant. "Marry me, then?" Taro asked, on one knee. "I'll get you out of the horrible job, and you can live with my family. We had a big house and it's right on the beach!"

Shadia accepted, and said farewell to her homeland. The baby was born in the early hours of the morning, a son named Quintero (meaning 'five'). Just like all his forefather's, he was born was a head of white-blonde hair, despite his mix of Egyptian, Chinese and French. His little sister Cailynn followed soon after.

The house was full of love and noise again, just the way Taro thought it should be. "Dad had two siblings, I had none. I think dad had it better than me. Always someone to talk to. Let's try for one more." Taro asked. Their son arrived ten months later.
"What should we name him?" Shadia asked.
"Ethan. After my great-great grandfather."
The children slowly grew, and all enjoyed fishing and playing video games. Before too long, Quintero was blowing out the candles on his birthday cake. "Happy 21st birthday son! Which part of the earth are you going to head off to?"

-----

I had fun with this challenge, though towards the end it got a little drawn out. They were ridiculously rich by the 3rd generation, and didn't have the room to buy stuff with the money. There wasn't any need to do things for an income (other than to pass the time). The one thing I do suggest to anyone starting off - when you start building, leave enough room for graves, or enough space for urns! I made my house as wide as the island allowed, which left very little space for graves...so in the end, the house had urns sitting everywhere. You could put them into someones inventory but I find that a little unrealistic...who carries someone's remains with them 24/7? I also tried to tie in the Perfect Genetics theme, and managed to keep my original sim Ethan's hair colour throughout, despite each generation marrying a girl with black hair.

"It's sticks and stones and broken homes, that taught us how to smile." - The Bens
Test Subject
#80 Old 3rd Aug 2013 at 1:15 AM
if i have island paradise can i get diving lots?
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 6th Aug 2013 at 9:14 PM
I'm totally gonna play it!
Test Subject
#82 Old 12th Aug 2013 at 2:20 PM Last edited by Rob Collins : 13th Aug 2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Update
Is this a corrupted save file?

Edit: Okay, here's the situation. I've tried previously for a few days to try and recover this save. My Sim is currently in France, and when he goes back, the game crashes every time on the loading screen. It's only now, that I just realized I could Edit Town and switch over to the home, to see if anything there was the problem. I was confused when I noticed the walls were suddenly disappeared. A few minutes later, they actually did show up, and since the house wouldn't have probably loaded when I went there, I'm going to assume that the save file itself is corrupted, and not anything to do with the lot.

I am sad that I have failed this challenge.
Test Subject
#83 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 8:09 PM
Ah! I really want to do this challenge, but I don't have World Adventures or University. XD So I think I'll go after the Mailman or some Showtime Singers or something. XD The first male who comes on the lot will be MINE.
This looks awesome, I can't wait.
Field Researcher
#84 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 12:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gurra09
At last, no cheats are allowed except for when you need to reset a buggy sim or move something that's in the way with moveobjects. Of course it's up to you if you follow the rules or not for this challenge, but you are not allowed to use mods that changes game conditions for skills, moods etc. If you are unsure whether a mod should be allowed or not, you can always bring it up for discussion in the thread!

Is it okay for me to use Twoftmama's Romantic Actions for Teens?
Test Subject
#85 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 9:33 PM
I started this last night and I've had sooo much fun! For the exception of random, yelling paparazzi's and glitchy animal spawns.

Might replay it but with a story. :3
Field Researcher
#86 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 5:36 AM Last edited by Sleepy-Genius : 17th Aug 2013 at 4:25 AM.
Okay, so I have started this challenge last night. So far, I am doing okay. It was not as hard as I thought. However, how to I obtain gardening books? I didn't find any when I went to Shang Simla. I am hoping to find some in "France" went I go.

Maybe I will blog about this in a post on my sims blog, but I am uncertain. I have the story in my head, but to type it out...yeah.

Edit 08/15:
Nevermind. I just sent the wife to University. I'm buying up everything. The husband has one more trip left.
Test Subject
#87 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 11:07 PM
can i make 2 sims then the children have children with the mailman or something? since i dont have world adventures :P
Test Subject
#88 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=Rob Collins]Is this a corrupted save file?

Edit: Okay, here's the situation. I've tried previously for a few days to try and recover this save. My Sim is currently in France, and when he goes back, the game crashes every time on the loading screen. It's only now, that I just realized I could Edit Town and switch over to the home, to see if anything there was the problem. I was confused when I noticed the walls were suddenly disappeared. A few minutes later, they actually did show up, and since the house wouldn't have probably loaded when I went there, I'm going to assume that the save file itself is corrupted, and not anything to do with the lot.

I am sad that I have failed this challenge.[/QUOTE
you didn't fail, you thought something was wrong and tried to fix it, don't see anything wrong with that
Test Subject
#89 Old 2nd Sep 2013 at 5:49 PM
Just double click the world file. It looks like the Sims 3 Icon right? Double click and it will download and install into your game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#90 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 7:42 PM
Default Isle of the Midnight Sun v. 3 now released!
There is a new version of the Midnight Sun challenge world available now, with Island Paradise content, check out the first post!

The island is now a houseboat port and there are also diving lots for your isolated sims to explore. This version can be installed alongside the earlier island lot version.

Creator of the Perfect Genetics and Midnight Sun Challenges.
Visit the SimGurra tumblr - home to my TS3 creations, including the official Midnight Sun Challenge worlds!
Field Researcher
#91 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 4:04 AM
Thank you for the update. Hopefully, I can move my home there...somehow.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#92 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 11:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sleepy-Genius
Thank you for the update. Hopefully, I can move my home there...somehow.

I don't think you can move a normal lot onto a houseboat lot but you can always install the new world alongside the old world and then have your family move with the new Move to another world function that came with IP - just remember to put all the stuff you want to keep in their inventories.

Visit the SimGurra tumblr - home to my TS3 creations, including the official Midnight Sun Challenge worlds!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#93 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 12:40 PM
I have uploaded a new version of Isle of the Midnight Sun v. 2 which allows you to use the island version without midnight sun being standard time - I did this so that you just like v. 3 can use my new mod Sunrise/Sunset Season Offset mod for more realistic midnight sun. Get it here: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo....php?topic=1269

If you already have the old version of v. 2 installed you do NOT need to re-install to have the updated version, I wrote a small guide here on how to update your copy of the world manually: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...msg9606#msg9606

Test Subject
#94 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 5:57 PM
Since im to lazy to download the world, im just going to put a 10x10 lot in my world and create a married couple
Instructor
#95 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hotdogs4life
Since im to lazy to download the world, im just going to put a 10x10 lot in my world and create a married couple

I think part of the challenge is the isolation that an island creates . BTW, how many clicks of the mouse does it take to download and instal? Six?
Test Subject
#96 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 11:29 PM
Okay I have read all 4 pgs of comments and not one person has questioned what Custard has found on the v3 file :-/ Is there cc attaching to this file?
Test Subject
#97 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 1:04 AM
This is what custard shows when looking at the v.3 world file.

Click below for a larger copy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98086217@N03/9721761796/

My friends have confirmed that items did show in their game including the house that is listed. Just wondering if the OP is aware and if he will post a warning.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#98 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 4:38 PM Last edited by Gurra09 : 11th Sep 2013 at 5:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by cyberqueen13
This is what custard shows when looking at the v.3 world file.

Click below for a larger copy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98086217@N03/9721761796/

My friends have confirmed that items did show in their game including the house that is listed. Just wondering if the OP is aware and if he will post a warning.

I DID check custard for my first export of the world but I must have forgot to do it for my second, final version. Thanks for noticing, I'll upload a clean version in a minute since this world is using no custom or Store content. Sorry!

Also: the version 3 file is from just a few days ago, only a hundred people have downloaded it and I guess a lot of simmers aren't custarding everything.

Test Subject
#99 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 12:29 PM
i have a question. when playing MS and PG does the family all live together until they die?
Test Subject
#100 Old 22nd Sep 2013 at 2:59 AM
Firstly, I want to thank you for updating MS for Island Paradise, loving it. My one concern, which isn't something major, is that some seeds and small pets (snakes, birds, etc.) are spawning in the water and I am unable to click on them to collect. Is there anyway I can fix this?
Page 4 of 14