Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 1:23 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural
Default downloads folder
why can't you use the downloads folder in my documents. I use mine to store all my downloads in, I also have sub folders, I then transfer these downloads to the appropiate places to instal into my game
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 1:24 PM
The Downloads folder in My Documents is a "holding tank" for not-yet-installed sims3pack files. It does not hold the actual installed files that are used by your game, nor does it read .package files - you can't use it as it just doesn't work like that.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 1:50 PM
Default download folder
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
The Downloads folder in My Documents is a "holding tank" for not-yet-installed sims3pack files. It does not hold the actual installed files that are used by your game, nor does it read .package files - you can't use it as it just doesn't work like that.
If you had read my letter right you would have read that I do use it as a "holding tank" the point that I trying to make is that we are told not to save downloads in the downloads folder we are told to save them somwhere else i.e desktop then rip them from there, why, when the downloads folder can be used for just the same purpose :lovestruc
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 2:00 PM
Because it's usually easier and more user-friendly for most people to save to the Desktop for most people, rather than drilling down several folder levels to put files in a place that seems like it would work to read their files but doesn't. If we tell people, "Put your stuff in Downloads" then they're just going to think it's like TS2 and that's all they have to do, rather than going ahead and actually installing them - especially in the case of .package files that have to be put in a -completely- different place.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 2:33 PM
Bear in mind that we always write our FAQs as if we're talking to the stupidest person we can imagine - because otherwise someone won't get it. If you understand the process well enough to do it slightly differently, go for it - but we don't assume you do understand when we write these things.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 6:55 PM
downloads folder
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Bear in mind that we always write our FAQs as if we're talking to the stupidest person we can imagine - because otherwise someone won't get it. If you understand the process well enough to do it slightly differently, go for it - but we don't assume you do understand when we write these things.
Thanks for that discussion Its good to get your view on things can you go to the exchange and sort that pesky installer out I ca'nt download anything from the exchange. you seem to have the knowledge and expertise