Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 11:05 PM Last edited by LittleJimsSims : 16th Aug 2015 at 2:15 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default PLEASE HELP! The Sims 3 launcher "error during startup" after updating to 1.67 patch
Hey! So recently I reinstalled my ts3 game (around 5 times!), and it works perfectly fine before I update it to the most recent patch, 1.67. When it finishes installing, I open the launcher and it gives me the error: "Error during startup. See Log for more details". I just want to play my game and this error is making it impossible to! It happened the first time too, and all the forums said the registry keys don't match and to reinstall, but I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the patch. Here's what I have done so far:

-I've tried bypassing the launcher, and was given another error. (Service Initialization Failed) I went into Computer -> Program Files (x86) -> Electronic Arts -> The Sims 3 -> TS3W
-I've uninstalled & reinstalled my games
-I've cleared my registry using CCleaner
-I've uninstalled & reinstalled Origin
-I did download important Microsoft computer updates as suggested by a video.
-I've done some complicated things with "msconfig" as it was also recommended.
All to no avail! Once I reinstalled my game, I updated it to patch 1.67 and the launcher stopped working! It was working completely fine before the patch.

Extra info:

-I had my Mods folder out at the time.
-I do have Sims3packs installed and around 20-50 things inside my Downloads folder.
-I have no saved games currently.
-I have 4 expansion packs installed through Origin and 1 through CD, no stuff packs.
-I usually update my game through my launcher.

I have never encountered this problem so I have no idea what to do! Please help

Edit: I also read somewhere that this might be happening because of the update installing improperly, so I reinstalled again and instead of using the launcher I downloaded a manual patch update and let it do its thing for around 2 hours and I still get the error! I'm tired of this, all I wanna do is play my game tbh, I think I'll just do it without the patch if I won't be able to fix this. PLEASE HELP ME!

(also I'm a bit discouraged because most people who are having this problem couldn't fix it )
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 3:46 PM
Hope this help - also I believe there're plenty of people able to give you reasonable advice;

1. don't panic
2. don't mess digital and hardcopy (CD/DVD) versions of the game - they don't like each other; if you have Origin (the same for Steam) version, register in Origin CD components and go through installation solely via Origin;
3. valid executable for Origin Sims3 is in [root]/Program Files(x86)/Origin Games/[...path to Sims3...], Steam version is placed in its respective folder; if you're trying to execute something from hardcopy installation folder it won't work or will work bad;
4. Don't use the Launcher for update - it's well known as troublemaker - use PatchDownloader or manually execute the Superpatch;
5. Disable Origin (both program and service) when you don't need it, it's useless resource consumer;
6. There's no "service" valid to start while using the game executable;

I assume you already have made a nice mess with this procedure described above by you but, just try to:
1. disable the Origin;
2. rename /Documents/Electronic Arts folder (also called as "clean run") and try to run the game from it's Origin installation folder

if it don't work well...
probably there is a significant need to clean up the mess you already made. This is not an impossible mission, just require a little patience and nondesperate temper

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 4:23 AM
Did you followed this step by step? The only time my game did something like that and I had to uninstall and reinstall, I followed the guide and my game worked perfectly fine.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 21st Sep 2015 at 6:57 PM
Default Mixing CD's and Origin is ok
Quote: Originally posted by soundtracks
Did you followed this step by step? The only time my game did something like that and I had to uninstall and reinstall, I followed the guide and my game worked perfectly fine.

I have my dvd's and origin mixed. I have to install about 6 dvds to make my game complete. You cannot mix Steam and Origin.

1. Sometimes the launcher doesn't like a .sims3pack after the update - the file is clean, according to the programs I use, but the launcher just doesn't like it, and will crap out.
2. My computer didn't like me having thousands of mods in my mods folders. I had to merge and purge, and then it was game on.
3. You do NOT have to constantly un-install and re-install your games. Simply move your mods, download folders to your desktop, and any other folder (custom music, collections if you have a lot of custom collection icons) and rename your sims3 folder thesims3.old. Then re-start your game, it will re-generate your folders, then quit once you get to the main menu screen. You can then delete the folder that is named thesims3.old.
4. Use programs to go through your content to determine if there is anything corrupt or incompatible.
5. Start your launcher and it should ask you to update.
6. Do not add mods or sims3packs until your launcher has updated your game. You can go into your documents folder and check your content patches to see if they are all there. If your launcher is scanning through your sims3packs and it craps out, there is a pack or two that it just doesn't like. delete those!
7. Once you have checked, cleaned and INSTALLED your sims3packs, you can then move them out of the downloads folder to your backup. Please tell me you have a backup. If no, create one. On an external drive, or a dvd. I have multiple backups, and in my sims3 backup folder is a current copy of my sims3 folder, which includes, mods, downloads, library, saved sims, installed worlds, collections, custom music, dcbackup and dccache. I use this is a restore point if my game gets fubar'ed.

I hope this helps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Dec 2015 at 2:54 PM
Hello! So I didn't reply to this for a long time, but I did find a solution! It's actually pretty simple, really.
Here's what you've got to do:
  • Open the run box by pressing the windows key + r
  • Enter regedit into the box that pops up & click ok.
  • User Account Control will pop up, just click yes to run regedit.
  • Once regedit is opened, go into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Wow6432Node -> Sims (if the Sims tab is in the Software tab, that's fine)
  • When you've got the "Sims" tab opened, you'll see a list of EPs and/or SPs. Make sure you know which ones you have installed on your computer.
Now, for example, let's say I don't have Ambitions currently installed. This is what is causing the "error during startup" message after I update it to the latest patch. This is because they are leftover keys in the registry, as Ambitions uninstalled incorrectly. All I have to do now is delete the folder that's named "The Sims 3 Ambitions". This will remove all leftover keys and I'll be able to play again. Make sure to delete all the leftover keys from games you don't have installed!

If this is unclear, just let me know and I'll try to make it more understandable.

EDIT: This is in the Game Help section of MTS, but I just got so muddled and I didn't really understand what I was supposed to do.