Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 3:16 AM Last edited by chocoloti : 8th Feb 2016 at 3:27 AM.
Default Launcher turns white with red X
When opening the launcher to install content I have been getting a large red X behind the boxes, sometimes it only puts the red X in the slide bar on the right. I have all expansion packs cds/dvds, I don't use origin. I have checked all my content with Custard and nothing showed wrong. I always clear my scriptCache and the others before playing, I also empty the DCBackup folder (except the ccmerged file). I have 21 dbc files, so I moved the last one out and started the launcher. Everything opened without a problem. So I moved the DCCache files out and put in the latest one - renamed it dcdb0.dbc - opened the launcher and saw what was installed, uninstalled half of them, checked them again with Custard. I can't find anything wrong with my content. So I left out dcdb21 and started installing things again from #20. As soon as # 21 was formed, the Launcher glitched again. I have checked for this problem and found nothing to help.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 3:31 AM
I thought I had had every glitch, but I have to admit, this is a new one. A few questions:

Can you do anything with the launcher? Like playing the game or managing CC?

And have you tried bypassing the launcher to play?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#3 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 4:41 AM
Can't see very well, since image is small, but Game version = 1.66?
Perhaps you need to update?

Last Superpatch is at 1.67; and current Origin-triggered patch is at 1.69. The Store/Exchange has also had updates, so that X looks like the Launcher cannot find the appropriate html files to talk to the Sims3 Store pages.

Last Jan when I did a reinstall of Sims 3 + Store content, some of my Store Sims3Packs didn't install properly until I redownload; 'cause it seems that EA updates some things on the sly at the same time when they release all these updates that didn't even address one measly bug-fix!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 4:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JessiL
I thought I had had every glitch, but I have to admit, this is a new one. A few questions:

Can you do anything with the launcher? Like playing the game or managing CC?

And have you tried bypassing the launcher to play?

I can bypass the launcher and play, but I can't install any content through the launcher when it does this. I have to ctrl/alt/delete to close the launcher. I have put all my 3packs through Custard to check but nothing looks bad. The launcher will work great if I leave out the last dcdb file, so I have no idea what's wrong.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 4:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed
Can't see very well, since image is small, but Game version = 1.66?
Perhaps you need to update?

Last Superpatch is at 1.67; and current Origin-triggered patch is at 1.69. The Store/Exchange has also had updates, so that X looks like the Launcher cannot find the appropriate html files to talk to the Sims3 Store pages.

Last Jan when I did a reinstall of Sims 3 + Store content, some of my Store Sims3Packs didn't install properly until I redownload; 'cause it seems that EA updates some things on the sly at the same time when they release all these updates that didn't even address one measly bug-fix!

I didn't get anything through Origin, so I didn't think I needed it. Some of my mods aren't updated through 1.67 so I stayed with 1.66. I will check what I really need and maybe get the superpatch. Thanks for the advice.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 4:59 AM
Can't recall off the top of my head what specifically was changed in 1.67, but I get the impression almost all mods on 1.66 works on 1.67 because the 1.67 changes was pretty trivial. My SimsWiki articles on patches would have a differential report, I would think.
Though, I haven't done a differential report for 1.67 vs 1.69

Re:Origin : if Origin is not updated (if auto-update is turned off), it won't prompt you that there's a new update for Sims 3. You'd need to either enable Origin's updates or uninstall that old version, redownload and reinstall Origin first.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 3:41 PM Last edited by barbarat : 8th Feb 2016 at 4:45 PM.
I have experienced the same thing chocoloti described. However before the launcher load is completed a script error window pops up advising a script error, do I want to continue. Sometimes clicking yes resolves it BUT sometimes clicking no resolves it. Sometimes I get the red x window and no script error. I have reapplied the Super Patch 1.67 which stopped the message temporarily. Origin is up to date. I have never allowed automatic updates anywhere. All of my mods are up to date, I have no game problems, no game loading or system problems. I only use the Launcher to manage 3packs otherwise bypass to load a game. I have also played around removing DCCache and other folders. Again, sometimes it works sometimes it does not. I have noticed that removing the Mods folder before going into Launcher to install/uninstall seems to have a better chance of not getting that script error and/or the window with the big red X.

It looks to me that those script error messages are caused by the Sim Point video set up. This was yesterdays script error referencing: video.unrulymedia.com/carousel_availibity 15079409

Not even sure if they are related to the red x in the Launcher. What ever it is I have come to the conclusion it is something broken on EA's system. Yesterday I had that problem again so just quit the Launcher. Went back in later and everything was fine.

Edit: Thinking also where I have huge .ebc and .dbc files in DCCache perhaps the Launcher trips over itself when other specific tasks within the application are using resources. Who knows, eh?? It's EA after all.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 5:13 PM
I have had this numerous times. The only solution I have come up with is to simply restart the launcher. That normally clears it up.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 2:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Persian
I have had this numerous times. The only solution I have come up with is to simply restart the launcher. That normally clears it up.

I haven't had any luck restarting. I get the same problem. I found if I wait about 5 to 10 minutes for it to load all the pictures it isn't as bad. Maybe there's too much to load? I only have 20 DCcache files, is that a lot of content?
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 2:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chocoloti
I haven't had any luck restarting. I get the same problem. I found if I wait about 5 to 10 minutes for it to load all the pictures it isn't as bad. Maybe there's too much to load? I only have 20 DCcache files, is that a lot of content?

The more content you have can cause longer load times for the Launcher. Everyone's systems are different and manage tasks differently. My DCCache folder is around 9GBs and it does take a few minutes to load but that should not be causing the distorted window.

You mentioned earlier some of your mods aren't updated through 1.67 so you stayed with 1.66. Have you applied or reapplied the Superpatch for 1.67. There is really no difference between those two patches other than 1.67 had some sort of an on line update if I recall correctly.

Also when you are going to use the Launcher it is best to put your Mods Folder on your desktop. Have you tried that?
Another work around I use: If you are bypassing the Launcher to start your game. Go into a game and access the Launcher from in game. I've been doing that lately and it works like a charm. Once finished installing or uninstalling, close the Launcher save and quit the game and reload. Make sure to delete all those .tmp files in DCCache... they are resource hogs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
The more content you have can cause longer load times for the Launcher. Everyone's systems are different and manage tasks differently. My DCCache folder is around 9GBs and it does take a few minutes to load but that should not be causing the distorted window.

You mentioned earlier some of your mods aren't updated through 1.67 so you stayed with 1.66. Have you applied or reapplied the Superpatch for 1.67. There is really no difference between those two patches other than 1.67 had some sort of an on line update if I recall correctly.

Also when you are going to use the Launcher it is best to put your Mods Folder on your desktop. Have you tried that?
Another work around I use: If you are bypassing the Launcher to start your game. Go into a game and access the Launcher from in game. I've been doing that lately and it works like a charm. Once finished installing or uninstalling, close the Launcher save and quit the game and reload. Make sure to delete all those .tmp files in DCCache... they are resource hogs.

I updated to 1.67 with no luck...But, I did move the Mods folder out and WOW, that worked! I have been pulling my hair out trying to find out what 3pack was broken or not installed correctly. Now I just have to find the mod or package that's bad. I did put all of them through Dashboard and all showed OK. I'll just check one at a time till I find it.
Thanks for all the help.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#12 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 5:57 AM
The 50/50 method would be easier (and faster) than testing one file at a time...see Game_Help:TS3_Finding_Problem_Custom_Contentwiki
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 7:03 AM
The 50/50 method would be easier (and faster) than testing one file at a time...see Game_Help:TS3_Finding_Problem_Custom_Contentwiki

I spoke too soon. After opening the launcher ok with the mods folder out, I was able to install a few things I took out before. Everything looked great. I took a break and opened it again and now I still have the red X but I have the error box with "Handle Targeting Not Found" like was mentioned before. I wasn't getting that box before. And my mods folder is still out of the game. Closing and cleaning out cache files doesn't help. I am going crazy.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#14 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 7:07 AM
Have you tested with clean user folders, ie after doing step#3 in http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...name_User_Files

Does Launcher behave itself with all user data cleared out? Does it reflect that you have patched up to 1.67?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 12th Feb 2016 at 8:00 PM
Have you tested with clean user folders, ie after doing step#3 in http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...name_User_Files

Does Launcher behave itself with all user data cleared out? Does it reflect that you have patched up to 1.67?

Tried with clean user folders... It is patched to 1.67.... works ok as long as I don't put the DCcache folder back in.
So, something in the 3packs is messing with the launcher. I REALLY don't want to reinstall everything.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 14th Feb 2016 at 12:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chocoloti
I spoke too soon. After opening the launcher ok with the mods folder out, I was able to install a few things I took out before. Everything looked great. I took a break and opened it again and now I still have the red X but I have the error box with "Handle Targeting Not Found" like was mentioned before. I wasn't getting that box before. And my mods folder is still out of the game. Closing and cleaning out cache files doesn't help. I am going crazy.

Sorry to hear that RedX is back but not surprised. I still get it off and on and I am certain it is not bad CC and or mods. Sometimes when I try a few minutes later it works and sometimes rebooting the PC works. Very annoying. Other than that I have no explanation for you.

However, I think I mentioned above that I've had much success opening the Launcher while in game. The only problem with that, depending upon your system I'd advise that once finished with the Launcher exit out of the game and clear out those .tmp files in DCCache. Again, depending upon your system those files will eat up your RAM.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 6:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
Sorry to hear that RedX is back but not surprised. I still get it off and on and I am certain it is not bad CC and or mods. Sometimes when I try a few minutes later it works and sometimes rebooting the PC works. Very annoying. Other than that I have no explanation for you.

However, I think I mentioned above that I've had much success opening the Launcher while in game. The only problem with that, depending upon your system I'd advise that once finished with the Launcher exit out of the game and clear out those .tmp files in DCCache. Again, depending upon your system those files will eat up your RAM.

I think it must be something in the downloads. Re opening doesn't fix it. I clean out all excess cache files, took out the mods folder, I have 21 dbc files and when I take out just #21 everything works! But when I put that last one back in that's when the launcher gets red X'd. The only things in that last file are a few counters & shelves, fences and gates, and all my staircases. I've checked them all with Custard. I'm checking each group by uninstalling them. I'm thinking positive... I'll get it working soon.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 15th Feb 2016 at 9:19 PM
Please let me know if you figure this out. I have had the prob before and never tried to figure out what caused it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 12:58 AM Last edited by chocoloti : 16th Feb 2016 at 1:26 AM.
Please let me know if you figure this out. I have had the prob before and never tried to figure out what caused it.

I tried opening the game by bypassing the launcher, but now I get this message and the game asks if I want to continue:
"It looks like you have installed an incompatible game modification"

Is this because I used the Super patch? Is it connected with my launcher problem? I've never seen this message before!
Checking on nraas It looks like something might not be upto the new patch... If that's it, should I go back to 1.66?
Site Helper
#20 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 6:05 AM
It would be easier to find out which mods you might have that need to update.

I have no idea if it's connected to the launcher issue or not, but it's not likely to be directly related to the superpatch except in that you might have patched beyond the level where a mod is supported.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Field Researcher
#21 Old 16th Feb 2016 at 3:00 PM
You have an outdated mod. It has nothing to do with your launcher problem. All of the mods at Nraas are updated to the 1.67 patch. Just make sure when you are downloading that you get the correct version. Are the Nraas mods all that you have installed?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 6:02 AM
You have an outdated mod. It has nothing to do with your launcher problem. All of the mods at Nraas are updated to the 1.67 patch. Just make sure when you are downloading that you get the correct version. Are the Nraas mods all that you have installed?

It can't be related to a mod. I did everything mentioned. I have the entire mods folder out. All Dccache files are back in the folder except the last one and it works!
When I put the last Dccache back in (keeping the mods out) that's when everything breaks down. The only things that are in it are stairs, fences and gates, miscellaneous shelves and counters. And I've checked them all with Custard. Something must conflict with something else in the game.
Site Helper
#23 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 4:07 PM
Yes, but you have 2 issues going on. You have the red X launcher, and the "It looks like you have installed an incompatible game modification" message.
Whether or not your mod is affecting the launcher, it is outdated and causing the Game Modification message. If you get that mod updated, you can bypass the launcher until the other problem is sorted. And unless the mod -is- updated, once the other problem is sorted and you're getting into your game, you're going to have the Game Modification message to deal with.

(Or you could just give up on the launcher and use the multi-installer if you have any Sims3packs that need installing. Or get CC Magic for all your CC. Either way, the outdated mod needs to be updated or removed.)

Can you live without those fences, counters, stairs, etc.? Do you have the Sims 3 packs for them? Does it work if you put that last folder in and take the others out?

If it works if that folder is in, and the others aren't, then something is conflicting with another folder. It's going to be a pain to track it down.
If you can live without them, problem solved. Track down the out of date mod, fix it, and then leave the last DCCache folder out.

If you cannot live without them, you know the problem really is only with the last folder, and you have Sims3packs for them, take out all the other DCCaches so things don't end up in there, then start slowly installing sims3packs, and be sure to put the things that are most important to you in first. Back up the new dccache each time. When the problem starts again, restore your backup and don't install the pack you just added. Check to be sure it's still working.

(If you do keep your files in dcbackup, make 2 new folders. If it works, add the new dcbackup file to the Keep folder. If it didn't work, move the new backup file to the "don't want this" folder. )

Keep backing up the new dccache after each new sims3pack in case there was more than one problem, and keep slowly adding sims3packs. Eventually, you will have added all the ones that work. Now put the rest of the dccaches in and check. If it doesn't work NOW, then something in one folder is conflicting with something in another folder after all. (Are you -sure- you can't live without these? )

And if you are keeping the dcbackup files, put the "Don't want this" folder into the dcbackup folder and run Dashboard. Change the scan folder to dcbackup and make sure it scans subfolders. It will find duplicate files, one in the main folder and one in the "don't want this" folder. Disable anything that has a duplicate in the "don't want this" folder. Then manually delete all disabled files and the Don't Want this" folder.

If you've gotten a conflict with a different folder, it's a similar process, but it involves slowly reinstalling ALL your sims3packs. Again, do the most important ones first. It makes it a lot easier if you end up with something that is conflicting with one of them.

(And don't forget to update that out of date mod, or the Game Modification error message will show up as soon as you get into the game.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Field Researcher
#24 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 7:50 PM
Rename your original sims folder to something like sims3.old. Start the game and it should recreate a NEW sims folder. Now try launching the game. If that clears it up you have a bad mod or some bad custom content. You can always go back and delete the "new folder" it creates and rename the "old" folder and you will still have everything installed. ( Omg I hope that makes sense to you.) Just use it as a test to see if it's a bad install, game bug., or something else just weird. (We all know sims 3 has lots of weirdness happening sometimes)

Here is a link with good instructions:

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/0...installing.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 17th Feb 2016 at 8:34 PM
Rename your original sims folder to something like sims3.old. Start the game and it should recreate a NEW sims folder. Now try launching the game. If that clears it up you have a bad mod or some bad custom content. You can always go back and delete the "new folder" it creates and rename the "old" folder and you will still have everything installed. ( Omg I hope that makes sense to you.) Just use it as a test to see if it's a bad install, game bug., or something else just weird. (We all know sims 3 has lots of weirdness happening sometimes)

Here is a link with good instructions:

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/0...installing.html

Yes, I did this already. I am going to try what Ghost suggested and try to just keep what I need.
Thanks for everyone's help
Page 1 of 2