Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 1:27 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Generations, University Life
Default Problem Moving to University
I have tried twice to get a young adult to move to University, but after the moving van comes for him and the loading screens run, it acts as if I am starting a new game and asks me to move in a family to the university neighborhood. My YA was not one of the choices.

The first time I assumed it was because I didn't have him go to his graduation from high school, so I played again from an older backup. This time, the day he became a young adult the adults won a vacation, and he never got an opportunity to go. Should I start over again?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 1:10 AM
Are you really trying to "Move" your sim to Uni World, as in have him live there permanently as if it were his homeworld, or are you trying to Enroll him in Uni for a 1- or 2-sim week semester of study? Uni World isn't really all that conducive to being a permanent place to live. Enrolling alone or together with other sims involves choosing a major, length of semester, seeing which scholarships (if any) have been applied, and accepting the stated tuition requirement. Then the travel transition happens. When you arrive, you should be asked "Where would you like to stay this semester?" (Dorm, Frat/Sorority House, off campus housing), not "Choose a household to play."

The high school graduation doesn't matter, it's really just ceremonial. The adults going on a Generations EP free vacation does matter -- the general consensus is to always deny that one when the offer comes up as it breaks players' games so easily and we don't really have any kind of fix for that except to mod out the offer from ever coming up in the first place.

The combination of mods that works best to smooth out travel transitions, which is where the original problem seems to be if you really did Enroll this sim from their homeworld, would be NRaas Traveler, Overwatch, and ErrorTrap.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 1:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Are you really trying to "Move" your sim to Uni World, as in have him live there permanently as if it were his homeworld, or are you trying to Enroll him in Uni for a 1- or 2-sim week semester of study? Uni World isn't really all that conducive to being a permanent place to live. Enrolling alone or together with other sims involves choosing a major, length of semester, seeing which scholarships (if any) have been applied, and accepting the stated tuition requirement. Then the travel transition happens. When you arrive, you should be asked "Where would you like to stay this semester?" (Dorm, Frat/Sorority House, off campus housing), not "Choose a household to play."

The high school graduation doesn't matter, it's really just ceremonial. The adults going on a Generations EP free vacation does matter -- the general consensus is to always deny that one when the offer comes up as it breaks players' games so easily and we don't really have any kind of fix for that except to mod out the offer from ever coming up in the first place.

The combination of mods that works best to smooth out travel transitions, which is where the original problem seems to be if you really did Enroll this sim from their homeworld, would be NRaas Traveler, Overwatch, and ErrorTrap.

Thanks. That's what I suspected. No, I didn't mean moving him there permanently. I just meant enrolling and then moving into a dorm or rental. I thought the vacation might have messed things up. I will just play for an older backup. Fortunately, I am in the habit of keeping several days' worth in a backup folder. Sure, his younger brother will miss out on the teen party he threw when his folks and older brother were away, but it was pretty lame anyway.

One further question, though: I thought they had to have a diploma in their inventory when they went to uni, and they got that at graduation? I guess this time I will .Always sure he goes to graduation and see if he gets his diploma and if that makes a difference. Right now I am missing the university system in Sims 2!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 1:37 AM
On your backup strategy, whatever else don't stop doing that! TS3 is delicate. Playing without a safety net of user-created backups or trying to rely on the one game generated .backup save when you save over using the same file name is not a recipe for having a successful ongoing game as you are already seeing.

It is not necessary to attend the HS graduation in person to receive a diploma. I forget whether it arrives in the mail if you no-show for ceremony or it just appears in inventory. I've had sims attend or skip their HS graduations back home after having already started Uni. I've also sent teens to get a head start on Uni while they were still finishing up high school back home (the Traveler mod can unlock this). No one checks on academic credentials, it's assumed that if you have received and paid your tuition bill that you are qualified to be there. NRaas DebugEnabler can be used to generate a new diploma if the original one never arrives.

Come to think of it, no one has ever asked to see my real life HS diploma either. Which is just as well, since I think it's still in a box in the basement of a house that doesn't exist anymore back in the town where I grew up.

But on the broken travel transition and arrival, again would have to highly recommend the Traveler mod (with its partners Overwatch and ErrorTrap). More often the problem players have with Uni is that they can't return home after having invested much time in playing through a semester, not that they can't arrive in the first place, but it's the same fragile transition that causes these issues.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Apr 2017 at 5:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
On your backup strategy, whatever else don't stop doing that! TS3 is delicate. Playing without a safety net of user-created backups or trying to rely on the one game generated .backup save when you save over using the same file name is not a recipe for having a successful ongoing game as you are already seeing.

It is not necessary to attend the HS graduation in person to receive a diploma. I forget whether it arrives in the mail if you no-show for ceremony or it just appears in inventory. I've had sims attend or skip their HS graduations back home after having already started Uni. I've also sent teens to get a head start on Uni while they were still finishing up high school back home (the Traveler mod can unlock this). No one checks on academic credentials, it's assumed that if you have received and paid your tuition bill that you are qualified to be there. NRaas DebugEnabler can be used to generate a new diploma if the original one never arrives.

Come to think of it, no one has ever asked to see my real life HS diploma either. Which is just as well, since I think it's still in a box in the basement of a house that doesn't exist anymore back in the town where I grew up.

But on the broken travel transition and arrival, again would have to highly recommend the Traveler mod (with its partners Overwatch and ErrorTrap). More often the problem players have with Uni is that they can't return home after having invested much time in playing through a semester, not that they can't arrive in the first place, but it's the same fragile transition that causes these issues.

I have been backing up religiously since the original Sims, which crashed on me enough times to make me wary.

Those mods sound like good ones to get. I have read about people having problems with graduating Sims, too. You would think by now there would be a patch or something!