Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 4:09 AM
Default Please Help me Modify a package file.
I have a mod (package file) that I downloaded from this site. http://modthesims.info/d/458056 (No More Annoying Sounds base game.)

In the description, the mod author says we can use S3PE to modify the package file, if we want to remove values so that certain sounds are untouched.

Trouble is, even if I delete all the values except "lifetime wish success", I can't get a modified version of the package file to work. I go in, delete the values, then "save" so the package file has it's same name and it still doesn't work.

Can someone assist me so that the only sound that this mod blocks is the lifetime wish success? I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

And, to be clear, I don't have the "original mod" and "my mod" in the Mods folder at the same time.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 8:07 AM
Okay. I still need help.
I open the file in S3PE and I see "export" under "Resources" but it is grayed out.

If I just have the file on my desktop, I can set the default open program as notepad, but I don't think that's what you mean.

And I'm still not quite understanding.

All the files in the package are "sounds." If these "sounds" are NOT in the package, they will play in the game. I don't quite get exporting them, importing them back if I'm trying to delete them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 10:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Sorry about that. I thought you were xml editing.

Ok, follow these steps.

1) Open the package file with S3PE.
2) Press CTRL + A. This will highlight all the files in the package.
3) Hold the CTRL key, click on "lifetime wish success" and also click on the blank file on the top that is tag "_KEY" (you need to preserve these 2 files) You will see both of these files are no longer highlighted, but everything else is highlighted.
4) Press DEL key. You will see all the highlighted files striked-through
5) Most important part. Click SAVE. (You will notice all the striked-through files are deleted. Only thing remaining in the package are the 2 files.)

Ok done. Exit S3PE and plug it in! You can see the file size is a lot smaller now.

I followed your instructions, but, the sounds are still happening in my game. I don't know what I'm doing wrong :/

I should note that when the game starts, the package file isn't listed in the "packages found" list.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 11:25 PM Last edited by Daleylife : 15th Apr 2017 at 12:17 AM.
When I followed your instructions, I Did NOT delete the key file. I had when I did it originally, but not after you helped me. I clicked save and kept the file name the same.

The edited file shows as "sims 3 package file."

EDIT: Can also confirm the unaltered mod from MTS does indeed work, so I'm still doing something wrong that causes the edited package file to not function.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#8 Old 16th Apr 2017 at 9:04 AM
2 possible reasons:

1. what version are you playing? Jonha's mod is made on patch 1.24 according to the download page. so if this resource has been edited in later patches, that may be why the mod did not work

2. the KEY resource should also only list the AUDT resource that you want, since you're deleting all the other resources. i.e. the resource keys in the KEY should match the contents of the resources in the .package file

I would suggest you export a fresh version of the resource from your current DELTABUILD01.package, zero out the AUDT resource in a HEX editor, and then create your own mod package.