Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2010 at 4:42 AM
Default Successful and proper use of the France distant terrain river...
I am very confused. I had an awesome idea- use TWO france terrains to create a valley with a river flowing through it. In my rough outline, however, I found an issue:

The bottom river has land going through it, which makes it dark. The top one oesnt, as it is farther than the range of the map. But the problem is that I cannot figure out how to make the water light enough so that the river looks consistent. Either it's too dark from too deep of land, or I get what you see here- a sudden break in the riverbed to dark dark waters(up at the top).

I think this could have lots of potential if I can figure out how to make the water edges seamless-ish, so I can do the rest th the valley walls.But i can't figure out how to make it match. None of the terrain paints seem to get even close tot he proper lightness. The water at the top seems completely see through...an effect I can't reproduce on land.

There it is with grass, light sand, dark sand, and stone. None even come close to the same clarity- and the terrain bottom is actually DEEPER than the actual, editable terrain!

I'm just not sure what to do to fix this.

Also I just realized how ENORMOUSLY wide this river is... I guess I have to look at france and see how they did it?
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 12:49 AM
Use the river objects from Metadata to make your river water, instead of just digging a channel and using the water table. It's a lighter color and it also has a directional flow. I'm pretty sure that's what the rivers in France and China use.
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 12:53 AM
No, I'm sure they use terrain painted water...because I know there's a few places where the water "fragments" as it is prone to do against edges.

I just can't figure out how to get it to blend or look appropriate! And I have no sims capable of visiting france at the moment to check it outI'll just have to wait until I can go see. For all I know the camera just doesnt go far enough for it to matter.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2010 at 6:19 AM
My river is lighter in color if I make it shallower and paint the bottom and darker when I make it deeper. Not sure if that helps.