Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 9:22 AM
Default Need help with textures
So I went ahead and transferred CamKitty's wolf feet to Sims 4 (for personal use, sorry for not asking first). I used the dress tutorial from this site as much as I could but because of obvious differences with what I was trying to do I didn't manage to execute it perfectly. I'm satisfied with what I have for the moment but there are some glitches, like sometimes from close look ingame seems to have a tiny gap from a certain angle (guess I didn't match the vertex perfectly because I did it manually - the sim2 vertex merge kept merging the reference material instead of the model .... ) but I'm satisfied with what I have for the moment.
Now the real issue - I'm really bad with the textures - really hard to match the claws with colors and pads tend to distort. So far the best result was when adding the texture as material in milkshape but for some reason in the texture coordinator editor the paws didn't look like paws and I was unable to coordinate them correctly to the pads also I didn't know how to match the claws because there was only one claw texture ( I just got an idea about that last one, but gonna experiment later) on top of that the other parts didn't look as good on the sim (maybe something with the alpha channels). Then I tried to just apply the texture directly to the mesh in the cas tool, here is where the pads looked distorted and I was unable to match the claws .Ya, I know that their normal position is not where the normal nails are so I applied the paw to a normal foot to get the general idea of where they are but I just didn't manage to do it. So at the end I went without textures by just adding the default color in the cas tool...
Now I wanna know what went wrong with the texture coordinator in milkshape (not mentioning how hard was to use it nad navigate through it) - why the paws looked distorted and however I scaled and rotated and moved, I didn't manage to get em correctly. What is the best way to deal with this kind of textures and any general help about textures is welcome.
Btw because I'm not good with painting and stuff the best solution is if anyone is willing to directly help with the textures because I learn best from coping but I'll be satisfied with any kind of help.
And finally here is what I have for the moment.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 10:50 AM
You should post some screenshots of the texture and from Milkshape to show us the problems you're talking about.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 11:22 AM
Oh here they are.
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 3:54 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 10th Sep 2017 at 9:18 PM.
The texture mapping doesn't seem to correspond to what shows up on the model, which is pretty much what you said. I can't tell why from the pics but if you were mapping human feet to the texture like I think you said that might explain it. And the skeleton is funky-looking but if it animates okay it's not worth worrying about right now.

Please upload your package - I need to take a closer look at the mesh and texture to see what's up.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 4:58 PM
Here's my last attempt without adding the template as a material in milkshape.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  wolffeetfailtemp.rar (159.4 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 7:15 PM
The UV mapping is really messed up - sorry - it would probably be easier to start over than try to fix it. Can you describe what you did to do the conversion? I assume you used CAS Tools and the dress conversion tutorial I wrote, but that should have preserved the UV map. Did you use the Model Cleaner in Milkshape before converting the mesh in CAS Tools? If not that might have caused some of the verts needed for UV mapping to disappear. Did you change the mapping beyond scaling and moving it to fit the texture after making the texture 1024 x 2048 and putting the feet in the right TS4 location? And did you change the texture? It doesn't look like the original Camkitty version, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong original.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Sep 2017 at 7:41 PM
In this conversion I used standard reference mesh, used override entire color and I'm not sure but I think I checked uv0 texture, seam stitch and slotray data. I experimented a lot because all my previous attempts the paws were some blackish thing that changed color with clothes and skin. I didn't use the Model Cleaner in Milkshape .-. I must have missed that part... And yes I changed the texture in there and moved it to the feet location.
ps. I tried the model cleaner and got this..
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 12:57 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 12th Sep 2017 at 2:09 PM.
Don't check uv0 - that'll replace the original texture UV map with an auto-generated one that under most circumstances (like this one) is worse.

Edit: If you upload the ms3d mesh you're converting I'll take a look at that too.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 5:21 PM
Here are my last 2 ms3ds - the one with mat and the other without.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ms3d feet.rar (70.2 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#10 Old 12th Sep 2017 at 8:26 PM
I fixed the uv as best I could - not great but better.

The question remains of how it got that way in the first place - the mesh uv of the original should work if you're using the same texture and copying it to one with the right dimensions for TS4, it would just have to be moved to the right place on the new texture.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  wolffeet_fixedUV.zip (145.1 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 5:29 AM
Wow! This looks almost perfect, so what did you actually do there .-. Is it worth to add shadow and specular ?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#12 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 10:23 AM
I fiddled with the UV map by moving, scaling, and rotating parts of the mesh to fit on the texture. I also moved the ankle part to approximately the position of the TS3 ankle to minimize the texture mismatch at the ankle. It could be improved by fitting the foot to the TS4 position and changing the texture to match it more closely. It's just a matter of patience and experience with using the Milkshape texture coordinates window.

Shadow doesn't apply here IMO. Specular might be nice on the claws but I don't know if it's worth it.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 4:14 AM
Is it possible to let me see the ms3d if you still keep it
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#14 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 9:22 PM
Sorry for the delay - here's the MS3D. Also a template of the body standard uv mapping.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Wolf feet resources.zip (793.6 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 5:26 AM
Tnx! This was a great help for future projects :D