Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#101 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Enki
I hate the internet requirement. We were promised internet connection would only be needed for activation ONCE, but everytime I shut down my computer the game yells for internet access before I can play again. I refuse to keep my machine in standby mode while I sleep or leave the house.

Wait, what? You can't play without being on the internet?
Advertisement
Scholar
#102 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BrilliantAzure
Wait, what? You can't play without being on the internet?

I can PLAY offline, but every day I have to go online to be able to START the game. After that I can go offline again. As long as you keep your computer in standby mode you can play offline whenever you want. (From what I hear from my gaming friends they never ever power down their computers, so it isn´t an issue for them.)
Sorry for the confusion!
Field Researcher
#103 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 11:07 PM
I can PLAY offline, but every day I have to go online to be able to START the game. After that I can go offline again.
Sorry for the confusion!

Ah, the pseudo-online requirement. Also annoying :-\
Inventor
#104 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BrilliantAzure
@Swjosdotschka

I agree with a lot of your review of the game. This doesn't feel like a life simulator anymore. It feels like a game in which you control a bunch of dudes. It may seem like a fine line, but the omission of all the ordinary, life-life things that you mentioned (pretty much to a one, the NPCs, the dishwasher, etc) really make this installment feel video-gamey. The lack of realistic careers, like business, medicine, science, etc, the lack of interactable babies...EA really lost their way with this installment...but not even just this installment. It's been a long time coming.

Look back to the Sims 2. What was the first expansion they released? University. They added a new life stage, let your sims go to college, educate themselves, grow as people and build a better life.

What was the Sims 3's first expansion? World Adventures. You could be Indiana Jones.

Granted, that could be construed as a "vacation" EP, but let's face it, EA has been stretching this franchise to appeal to the broadest audience possible. While in many ways, this isn't a bad thing, ultimately they've been losing the identity of the game as a result. The Sims should, at its core, be a life simulator, not an adventure game, not a cartoony mockery of what life could be (though some cartoonishness can be forgiven). In the Sims 4 you can be a super spy but you can't be a doctor or a lawyer. This may be a small nit-pick, but it's something, a direction that's been bothering me for a long time now. And it makes me sad.

At least, in many ways, the core gameplay of this game feels pretty enjoyable even if it's lost its way in a huge way. I think the next few months, if EA decides to get their heads out of their butts and tells us the overall plan of attack for the series (if they can pry themselves away from their yachts and caviar and...private...sports teams and...I dunno, what else do wealthy people buy?), will really tell us if this installment will be worth it. For my part, I really wish I could go back to the Sims 2. It was my favorite of the series by far. But it feels so dated to me. And unfortunately, the Sims 3 is a hot, steaming mess and plays like crap, so...this is kind of my only option.

I hope you can continue to enjoy TS2, however. I'm sorry for your disappointment in the newest installment

The Sims 2 will never g o out of date to those who will always love it
Scholar
#105 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Best_Leopard
Yeah, @DrChillgood -- I can't understand why, with all this emphasis on emotions, sims can't be afraid. It's such a basic emotion, and "very tense" just doesn't capture how I'd feel about a bonfire in my kitchen. :P

Also - messes shouldn't be Uncomfortable, only stench should cause discomfort. Differentiate between a pee-puddle and a water-puddle. Neat-freaks or perfectionists, or those getting chewed out by such, should get Tense around messes.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Lab Assistant
#106 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:01 AM Last edited by WhiteWitch : 6th Sep 2014 at 6:16 AM.
TS4 turned out to be somewhat better than I expected, but there are still toomany things to dislike there:
1) No CASt! Though many recolors aren't that bad, I'd prefer more variety, especially for build/buy mode, but clothes and shoes need some more color options, too.
2) Very dark rooms! Hell, this is so annoying! There was a similar problem in TS3 before we got those invisible lights in WA patch, so we didn't need to overfill the rooms with lamps any more. i hope there will be a patch for TS4 that fixes the lighting, or at least a TS3-type solution to the problem.
3) No transport. The game looks very modern, but noone owns any transport, his looks really weird. The lack of pools is bad, too, but this is not as noticeable.
4) Teens and adults are of the same height.
5) The game is not so easy to play on weaker computers, really. TS3 with almost all SPs and all EPs but without CC and minimum mods plays well on my PC, only huge worlds crash, and I use maximum settings. TS4 is just a bare basegame, with no CC so far, but it crashes too often on maximum settings. I tried to play on medium settings, but everything looks so blurry and ugly then! It seems that this game will need an enormously powerful machine to play it properly, especially after a few EPs are released, or after you put in some CC.
6) Sims' heads are broad,and there is no way to fix it efficiently.Yes, you can move their jaw, mouth and nose down, but you can't make their forehead higher. I'd prefer more variety, many people IRL don't have such broad heads. And those fugly unrealistic lashes!
7) TS2-style jobs and school. I hate the idea of sims disappearing into nowhere, it is even worse than RHs. Yes, many people complained about RHs, but EA didn't get what we wanted insted: we wanted some RHs, like shops and diners, to be open, and some of us wanted career RHs like Hospital or School, to be open, too. But still, seeing your sims actually go to a definite place for studying/work was better than what we got in TS4.
8) Uneditale worlds. Yes, we can build an buldoze lots, and change their type, but we can'tplace new ones, or create new districts. maybe, the world editing options will appear later?
9) Ugly trees! They look much less realistic than those in TS3. I like the variety, but why should the trees look so plastic?
10) THE SHADOWS! They're so unrealistically blue. Shadows fromthe trees look like huge blue stencills on the roed.

To sum it up, TS4 looks like a logical sequel of TS2, as if TS3 had never existed. It is much better than TS2 in all aspects, but it is hard to get used to it after TS3.

Check my blog for worlds and lots: Sims3 ComfoLife Design Studio
Lab Assistant
#107 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:31 AM
i really think that since the world is already loaded and the loading time is seconds from place to place and the world is smaller EA might be able to release a patch that loads everything up before the game starts and leave only a slight loading screen when you are entering another lot or something i mean come on so many games have changed with mods and patches go see the sims 3 patch logs and what did it fix ever since the first patch maybe EA will work on it why you guys are so negative about it the game looks cool already and besides adding toddlers later on is easy just like when the sims 2 had young adults later on
and pools are no problems i mean its not that hard unless they have no animations for swimming and too lazy to make one
so far i dont have the game im saving up for it but im playing the demo and as far as i can see the game is turning really good a lot of people complain about something when it first come out im sure by time the game will be better
back to what i dislike i miss when the hair moves like in the sims 2 heck not even 3 had it i thought 4 will do but no just static basic hair
also if there was only a basic recolor tool to choose from a color wheel i dont think that would hurt the game at least in CAS
and i wish there was a body shop
also i hate that i cant choose too many traits its so stupid
Field Researcher
#108 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 7:20 AM Last edited by leefish : 9th Sep 2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: add the direct link to the mods on this site rather than going round the houses to tumblr
Quote: Originally posted by WhiteWitch
2) Very dark rooms! Hell, this is so annoying! There was a similar problem in TS3 before we got those invisible lights in WA patch, so we didn't need to overfill the rooms with lamps any more. i hope there will be a patch for TS4 that fixes the lighting, or at least a TS3-type solution to the problem.

There's a lighting mod out now :D
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=532961
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=533562
Instructor
#109 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
I figured they wouldn't track the source of a puddle. Did complaining make the offending moodlet go away quicker or something? I imagine it wouldn't work with motive distress..

I had to test it out, but the moods do go away faster.

Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
My changes are just text. I can't do tuning because they're not in nice neat XML files..

I know. But if Bro was really Douche I would actually use it.
Mad Poster
#110 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 4:45 PM
I can PLAY offline, but every day I have to go online to be able to START the game.

So...simming to kill the boredom at Grandma's house is gonna be a thing of the past :/
Field Researcher
#111 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:24 PM
I don't like how the elders have the same clothes as adults and vice versa.
Mad Poster
#112 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:27 PM
I'm less worried about elders having the same clothes as adults as much as I am with teens. As if it wasn't hard enough to tell them apart.
Test Subject
#113 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:33 PM
The lack of an open-world and cars is killing this title. I could live with the lack of toddlers and pools, but goddamnit I can't bear having a loading screen just going to the freaking gym. I don't care if it takes one second or one hour, it completely kills the immersion. The city is unbearably small. This game would be golden if only it had an open-world like the Sims 3, complete with cars and actual places where the sims go to work.
Instructor
#114 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:58 PM
I can PLAY offline, but every day I have to go online to be able to START the game. After that I can go offline again. As long as you keep your computer in standby mode you can play offline whenever you want. (From what I hear from my gaming friends they never ever power down their computers, so it isn´t an issue for them.)
Sorry for the confusion!

I just tested that by shutting down completely and going into airplane mode before trying to open Origin. I didn't have that issue. Once I found my password, I was able to log into Origin and it opened with all my games in 'offline mode'. Game loaded after that with no problems.

We may be able to visit Granny after all.
Field Researcher
#115 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 8:10 PM
my sister has it. so naturally when I went to visit her, I had a go... and lasted about 10 minutes (edit: including loading screens). then, I spent 20 minutes (edit: no loading screens) laughing at her for spending €70 on it.
Mad Poster
#116 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 9:50 PM
They don't have a baby bacon cheeseburger... yet.

And STILL no new sexy way to drown sims or get scared to death by dead Gramma! It's the END OF THE WORLD!
#117 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 1:36 PM
All the loading screens that's the only major thing that isn't going to change according to the guru's. While I am glad the loading is fast its still too many.
Field Researcher
#118 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 3:01 PM
Honestly while I like the smarter Sims, multitasking and some other features of Sims 4, I feel that again younger ages have been neglected (even more so than in Sims 3), and I don't mean just the lack of toddlers, but it's also really hard to find friends for my kids and teens, etc. Plus I really miss the family tree.

For now, I'm planning to alternate between Sims 4 (for focusing on adults) and Sims 2 (for playing families). I do hope that there will be some EPs that will improve those aspects.
Test Subject
#119 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 5:33 PM
So far there isn't much I do like about Sims 4. Build mode lost a number of controls from sims3, I find it harder to manipulate camera angles. Missing pools. like WT??? Only 3 floors. Glitches in the foundation tools. And as for the CAS...I think the sims look less realistic than previous versions. And creating sims is rather hard imo. Again...controls are lacking and not as user friendly. They've also dropped the ability to choose more characteristics. 3 just seems...well...2 dimensional. Oh yeah...the neighborhoods(Laugh loudly) suck. Why only a couple of empty lots?
Ok...so they start out with 20K simoleans again instead of the pathetic 16K in S3. So far that's the only plus. Just my 2.5 cents worth.
Lab Assistant
#120 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 6:03 PM
I unintentionally wrote a little review on my Tumblr when someone asked my opinion on TS4.

Theorist
#121 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 7:16 PM
@Swjosdotschka

I refuse to buy the game. It lacks EVERYTHING I like about Sims 3. I also play Sims 2 but get easily annoyed because it has no CASt. As long as I'm not decorating/building in Sims 2, I'm good. My husband on the other hand is strictly a generation player and family player. Those neighbourhoods would be filled up with all his sims, their kids, their grandkids, great grandkids.. and so on... in no time which would frustrate the heck out of him.

So we're happy playing Sims 2 and Sims 3 and wait until EA decides to bring out SIms 5.... if there will be a Sims 5.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Test Subject
#122 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 9:35 PM
I have been eagerly awaiting this game for months, I've have had/Have every Sim game plus expansions packs, But I've never felt so cheated straight away. Yes, we all know better custom comes in expansion packs.. But you expect new/better stuff to appear in expansion packs/Adventures, Yes? Not what was a basic before. I feel genuinely cheated, It's clear as soon as you play it, It's so basic you need to buy expansions to enjoy it. Not impressed.

I feel EA have focused way too much on the emotion side of a Sim and not realized how much it's the little things that make the game what it was and why we love it? Yes the new smarter Sims is fantastic, the little quirks, a FEW new interactions, don't get me wrong, But after hour of this, i have nothing better to describe it as It's boring tbh! I really don't see how for this so much was lost?!
It feels like it should have just been an expansion to Sims 3. It has no story progression unless you're happy to just go to a bar/park and talk to Sims day/night that's it. I Mean traveling next door is ridiculous! fair enough to other neighborhoods, the bars/parks But next door is just too much, you feel you have to stay where you are, which has ruined it for me, i understood it wasn't open world no more, but next door.. Come on EA? Seriously!

No family tree? I loved building my family's up and seeing them grow up! and looking to see other family's, it probably doesn't seem much but to me that was a massive part the game?! Yeah it still says, Brother on the Sims, But the family tree was a small but brilliant part for them days/weeks you decided you want to go down the route of building up family generations and linking them up with other family's in the game.

No custom style? They say, This new feature of been able to pick rooms, Make different sized walls/foundations is aimed for people who love to build and create the homes/Etc, For me they have made it so basic, Again it has lost all the best parts, Designing the rooms to a way you think your Sim would like it, Spending hours finding new fabrics etc on here and the exchange.
Dishwashers, Trash compacters, Home phones, Shops?! Work?! Toddlers?! Pools, Basements, Firefighters, Repo, Mailman, Police, The genral stuff we have come to love just thrown out to trash like it wasn't much, And when you think about it, So much has been taken out, More than what has been put in.

If the idea is to change the fundamentals of the game, Then they have achieved it, But they are going to lose a lot of the fan base they have build over the years, Me been one! I do hope these basics will return one day, Not over priced.. but we shall see.

I'm just so disappointed in this game, I hoped for so much more/better. But for me they have just completely lost the foundations of the game and gone for an "app" version of the game as apposed to an actually PC version with depth.
Field Researcher
#123 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 7:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aimiie22
I have been eagerly awaiting this game for months, I've have had/Have every Sim game plus expansions packs, But I've never felt so cheated straight away. Yes, we all know better custom comes in expansion packs.. But you expect new/better stuff to appear in expansion packs/Adventures, Yes? Not what was a basic before. I feel genuinely cheated, It's clear as soon as you play it, It's so basic you need to buy expansions to enjoy it. Not impressed.

I feel EA have focused way too much on the emotion side of a Sim and not realized how much it's the little things that make the game what it was and why we love it? Yes the new smarter Sims is fantastic, the little quirks, a FEW new interactions, don't get me wrong, But after hour of this, i have nothing better to describe it as It's boring tbh! I really don't see how for this so much was lost?!
It feels like it should have just been an expansion to Sims 3. It has no story progression unless you're happy to just go to a bar/park and talk to Sims day/night that's it. I Mean traveling next door is ridiculous! fair enough to other neighborhoods, the bars/parks But next door is just too much, you feel you have to stay where you are, which has ruined it for me, i understood it wasn't open world no more, but next door.. Come on EA? Seriously!

No family tree? I loved building my family's up and seeing them grow up! and looking to see other family's, it probably doesn't seem much but to me that was a massive part the game?! Yeah it still says, Brother on the Sims, But the family tree was a small but brilliant part for them days/weeks you decided you want to go down the route of building up family generations and linking them up with other family's in the game.

No custom style? They say, This new feature of been able to pick rooms, Make different sized walls/foundations is aimed for people who love to build and create the homes/Etc, For me they have made it so basic, Again it has lost all the best parts, Designing the rooms to a way you think your Sim would like it, Spending hours finding new fabrics etc on here and the exchange.
Dishwashers, Trash compacters, Home phones, Shops?! Work?! Toddlers?! Pools, Basements, Firefighters, Repo, Mailman, Police, The genral stuff we have come to love just thrown out to trash like it wasn't much, And when you think about it, So much has been taken out, More than what has been put in.

If the idea is to change the fundamentals of the game, Then they have achieved it, But they are going to lose a lot of the fan base they have build over the years, Me been one! I do hope these basics will return one day, Not over priced.. but we shall see.

I'm just so disappointed in this game, I hoped for so much more/better. But for me they have just completely lost the foundations of the game and gone for an "app" version of the game as apposed to an actually PC version with depth.

I totally agree everything you said. The more I play, the more the missing features annoy me.

After playing almost for a week, all I can say, this game is NOT The Sims 4. It is a the sims inspired, simplified, purified stand alone game. They should name it The Sims Neo or something like that but not thesims4 simply because it's not an improved version following the previous game of the series.

Sul Sul! Hooba Noobie?
Test Subject
#124 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 9:52 AM
To be honest, I have not much good to say about TS4. They should og for BIGGER neigbourhoods, not this small crap. And the shopping...let's get back the stores and shopping from TS2. In general, I'm disapointed with TS4, and it will be the first TS game that I wont buy any AddOns to. TS1, 2 and 3 I have Complete....but now I wish I never wasted Money on TS4 at all.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
Original Poster
#125 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 12:31 PM
I played the game using the Origin great games guarantee (I sent it back) - its ok, I think it is fun for a certain play style.

The world is cute, and after a while I didn't actually notice how blocky and low poly everything was.

The thing I hated (and even with a mod I could not fix it to my liking) was how dark it was indoors. I used to complain that in TS3 the sims looked like pudding outside, looking nothing like my sim in CAS; that seems better but now I can barely see my sim indoors

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Locked thread
Page 5 of 223