Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#201 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
We'll all just have to agree to disagree, then. In my opinion, a life simulation game like this one isn't complete without all the life stages. They are not a feature as far as I'm concerned, they are necessary to family play.

As far as them being difficult, the whole game is work. That's why EA pays these people to create it. If they didn't have time to finish the game, they should have extended the release date and I'm never going to forgive them for screwing over the players this way. YMMV.

Most of us are on the same page here though. I didn't like toddlers that much, rarely paid attention to them, that doesn't mean I don't think they should be in the game, they should be here and It is a shame that people who loved that life stage cannot enjoy it in the sims 4. I feel the same about things like story progression amongst many other things.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#202 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 12:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by azxcvbnm321
Will Wright also shopped the idea for The Sims to many game companies and no one wanted to make the game. They didn't understand why The Sims would be fun. You mean all you do is control a person who pees, sleeps, gets something to eat, then goes to work? How do you win? How do you get a high score?

It seems that a lot of the new people at Maxis and EA are the same types that rejected Will Wright's original Sims and SimCity ideas. No toddlers, simplified babies, because why would taking care of a child be fun? Replace all that with goals and rewards that unlock items because people need to be able to "win" and the player needs to have an objective or else they won't know what to do next. This is what the Sims has become.

Your description of the Sims 4 does not match my experience. It is fun taking care of babies, the interactions are cute. I'll speak about goals in a minute, but first I'd like to point out that simply enjoying the interactions and feelings of the Sims in Sims 4 is fairly entertaining. The dynamics in relationships and personalities gives back some of the creative play we loved so much at the beginning of the Sims series.

Sims 1 was so open because the Sims themselves only had needs, no long-term or short-term goals to tell the player what to do. The division of aspirations with the wants/fears/and aspiration rewards system in Sims 2 really killed that, although it was still possible to ignore it and play openly. I found the rewards system very pushy in Sims 3. I can't seem to play without catering to Sims' constant wishes/wants/goals if I want my Sims to have any success at all. Sims 4 still has goals, wants/whims, and rewards tied to those, but it's less in-your-face than it was in Sims 3. You can more easily choose to ignore it and play the way you want. There's a lot less popping up from the game, telling me how to play. I like that.

The unlockables from career rewards are weird, but there's always an option to buy a different model of the same thing in the catalog. For example, the techie career has a super game reward of a cube that your Sim steps into to play a VR game. A different model of the game is available to all Sims in the buy mode catalog. Sims 2 also had unlockable career rewards, so the idea isn't new. The console game version of Sims 1 also had unlockables.

It was so much easier in Sims 1 to just play the way you wanted without the game giving you goals. Every time the Sims themselves were fine tuned, with more personality and with wishes and dreams, the game became more goal driven.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Page 9 of 9