Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 1:51 PM Last edited by lordgeorgie : 15th Sep 2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: solved
SOLVED 2t3 conversion - multiple TXTRs
Warning, I am an absolute beginner! Please ELI5

I'm trying to teach myself to convert Sims 2 packages to S3 and have a potentially silly question but I can't seem to find an explanation..

Following tutorials, I'm able to convert items with a single, wraparound texture just fine but anything with more than one TXTR file ends up incomplete and I have no idea how to add the additional "layers" too it -- having never used sims 2 or tried conversions before I don't know any of the correct terms, I'm sorry if this makes things confusing

Pictures of what I mean:

Yellow boat with single TXTR - converted with no problem IMG 1,2
Red boat with multiple TXTR files (IMG 3,4) - results in object having incorrect textures IMG5

My question is how do I get the roof textures from IMG 4 onto the object and in the correct place???

All the tutorials I've found for converting handle a single TXTR file and without knowing the proper terms wading through google is proving tricky

Please, can anyone explain this to me?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 12:39 AM
Firstly what you should do is either convert your two textures into a single texture image, or adjust your object uv map to accommodate a single texture that combines the two textures into one. But note that the two process go together. Which ever one you take will lead to the other. What you have is a situation of a mesh having 2 mesh groups and each is mapped separately to its own texture which means the textures are overlapping.

For me I can start from any one of the above.

So, let's start with the textures first. From what I can see, texture 3 is 1024x1024 while texture 4 is 512x512. Resize texture 3 to 512x512 to be the same size with texture 4.

Then you have to fix your uv map to accommodate the different textures in a single image.

I will use lithunwrap for the uv mapping adjustment .

So when you import your object into milkshape, you will notice that the object is made up of two mesh groups. Save your mesh as ms3d file where you can find it.

Start lithunwrap and open the ms3d file you just saved. At the right side of lithunwrap if you click on group it will show you the names of your mesh groups. What you have to do is make each group to occupy half the uv interface.

Right click on the first group and among the options that shows up click on select. This will highlight the group in red. What you will see is that both the groups occupy the full uv interface together.

What we want is to change this so that a group occupies just half of the uv interface. So with the first group still highlighted in red, press 'S' on your keyboard. The red will turn green which means you can adjust the u map for the group. For this group let's make it occupy the left part of the mesh interface. So hold an edge, usually at the top or bottom right of your screen and move it horizontal to your left until you get to half of the uv interface.

Click anywhere on the uv interface to deselect the group. Now right click on the other group and select it. Then press 'S' again on you keyboard. This time we want this group to occupy the right uv interface. With the group highlighted in green, hold an edge of the selected group but this time from the left top or bottom and move it horizontal to your right to half the uv interface.

When finished you should have the two groups sitting side by side each occupying half the uv interface.

When ok, click on file and save your mesh as a ms3d file. After this, click on file again and this time choose to save uv map. When the uv texture size box comes up change the size to 1024x512.Give your uv map a name and save.

Open you image program and import the uv map you just saved. Now copy and paste the two images 3and4 as new layers to your uv map. Reduce transparency and adjust each to fit its on uv map interface. When you are ok, return transparency to normal and you should now have a single texture image that contains the two initial separate textures.

Save the finished image as png, and also save as a bmp file too. Now open the mesh that you edited the uv in your milkshape 3d program and apply the bmp texture that you saved to it to make sure it is fine.

If you require to readjust the uv after applying the texture maybe due to the texture not aligned with the uv map. Just save the mesh with the texture applied in ms3d format. Go back to your lithunwrap click on file/model/open and open your model again. This time you will notice that the texture is opened with the uv map. You can now adjust the uv onto the texture. When through save and open in milkshape.

When ok you can assign your groups as you normally do and import into TSRW.

Would have added images, just that am writing from a phone.

I hope this helps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AdonisPluto
Firstly what you should do is either convert your two textures into a single texture image, or adjust your object uv map to accommodate a single texture that combines the two textures into one. But note that the two process go together. Which ever one you take will lead to the other. What you have is a situation of a mesh having 2 mesh groups and each is mapped separately to its own texture which means the textures are overlapping.

For me I can start from any one of the above.

So, let's start with the textures first. From what I can see, texture 3 is 1024x1024 while texture 4 is 512x512. Resize texture 3 to 512x512 to be the same size with texture 4.

Then you have to fix your uv map to accommodate the different textures in a single image.

I will use lithunwrap for the uv mapping adjustment .

So when you import your object into milkshape, you will notice that the object is made up of two mesh groups. Save your mesh as ms3d file where you can find it.

Start lithunwrap and open the ms3d file you just saved. At the right side of lithunwrap if you click on group it will show you the names of your mesh groups. What you have to do is make each group to occupy half the uv interface.

Right click on the first group and among the options that shows up click on select. This will highlight the group in red. What you will see is that both the groups occupy the full uv interface together.

What we want is to change this so that a group occupies just half of the uv interface. So with the first group still highlighted in red, press 'S' on your keyboard. The red will turn green which means you can adjust the u map for the group. For this group let's make it occupy the left part of the mesh interface. So hold an edge, usually at the top or bottom right of your screen and move it horizontal to your left until you get to half of the uv interface.

Click anywhere on the uv interface to deselect the group. Now right click on the other group and select it. Then press 'S' again on you keyboard. This time we want this group to occupy the right uv interface. With the group highlighted in green, hold an edge of the selected group but this time from the left top or bottom and move it horizontal to your right to half the uv interface.

When finished you should have the two groups sitting side by side each occupying half the uv interface.

When ok, click on file and save your mesh as a ms3d file. After this, click on file again and this time choose to save uv map. When the uv texture size box comes up change the size to 1024x512.Give your uv map a name and save.

Open you image program and import the uv map you just saved. Now copy and paste the two images 3and4 as new layers to your uv map. Reduce transparency and adjust each to fit its on uv map interface. When you are ok, return transparency to normal and you should now have a single texture image that contains the two initial separate textures.

Save the finished image as png, and also save as a bmp file too. Now open the mesh that you edited the uv in your milkshape 3d program and apply the bmp texture that you saved to it to make sure it is fine.

If you require to readjust the uv after applying the texture maybe due to the texture not aligned with the uv map. Just save the mesh with the texture applied in ms3d format. Go back to your lithunwrap click on file/model/open and open your model again. This time you will notice that the texture is opened with the uv map. You can now adjust the uv onto the texture. When through save and open in milkshape.

When ok you can assign your groups as you normally do and import into TSRW.

Would have added images, just that am writing from a phone.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for this - you're a godsend! This was so helpful.

After playing with your tutorial and some googling (I also found this tutorial from Aikea Guinea which goes into this in the comments http://www.digitalperversion.net/ga...p?topic=22146.0) I really feel like I understand a lot better and will be able to apply it in the future

Screenshots
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#4 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 6:51 AM
So happy that you got it right.