Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 2:23 PM
Default Another Routing Question
Now that I am paying more attention to routing, ahem, I have a perhaps stupid question. I am adding areas for the water taxis to land in a world I did years ago. It is driving me nuts when routing that I smooth and all is fine and then when I go back later it needs smoothing again, and this happens over and over. I smooth and rebuild in the same places a jillion times it seems.

But my real question is.................there are the areas that are supposedly too steep that show in the red. When I view routing many times the white lines route perfectly well over these areas. Do I believe the red too steep or the routing grid? If non routable areas as too steep why does the routing show they are OK?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 5:41 PM
What do you mean by 'needs smoothing'?

For the red areas, it used to be that they were auto-non routable, but if your routing splines are showing there then sims will route there. Test it out in-game, maybe?
Test Subject
#3 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 6:54 PM
Do you mean going around the edges, cleaning up unconnected dots? Are you using a round brush for it?

I've been routing all day (urgh!) and I've discovered a square brush is mush easier; you can line it up to the routing lines and get much neater routing. Before, I was trying to make sort of smooth 'paths'; I sort of forgot you wouldn't be able to see it in game!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 7:49 PM
I smooth the terrain when the lines are not joining. It seems odd that the routing (joined lines) are fine over red areas that supposedly are too steep. Did they change that in CAW that those areas now can be used and they were off limits before? I have been using the round brush but that is a good idea to use the square one at times.

I will do some tests and see if I have arm waving upset sims or not? If they can cross those areas I have done a lot of smoothing and off-limits painting in the past that was not necessary. ???
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 7:57 PM
Do you mean that the lines appear broken as in this image:
https://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/...l-1190224-3.jpg

If so, that is purely graphical, as confirmed by one of the Sims 3 producers here:
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/gf9utr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 11:17 PM Last edited by daisylee : 30th Oct 2017 at 8:09 AM.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been working like heck to get rid of the broken lines. You have just saved me a lot of work.

EDIT: check out my new thread...... yikes!
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 10:42 PM
Its ok if you don't see the lines completly on your map...they will "go through" the terrain in places where it's not smooth or a bit hilly. What I do is look at the little white circles and if I see more then one line coming out of it, kind of like a triangle - then it's good to go. If the circle is just there with just one line coming out of it..it's like a dead end...and I paint it blue.
The only place on maps where I find "smoothing" the terrain helpful (aside from roads) is at the edges where the land meets the water. Sometimes there are large gaps in the routing in those areas.