Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#51 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 1:09 AM Last edited by caccigirl : 9th Jul 2016 at 11:18 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
This is not a real problem, but it is worth a fix to make your game more enjoyable

The cpu should be rated 4, it is just TS3 is old and it doesn't understand new hardware. Your 2.6 should turbo at 3.4-3.6. Even if it doesn't, it is multicore and newer so it is fast enough to be level 4.

It is a simple enough fix and it will bring more Sims to your community lots.

Open graphicsrules.sgr.

find on the top

Simply change them all to 4s.

I have changed them all to 4s. What next? Should I do something to confirm I've edited it correctly/not messed anything up? Should I run my game and then post my deviceconfig again?

edit:

I went ahead and ran my game and am posting my deviceconfig again. Let me know if this looks like all is okay? Please and thank you! (Also, I will delete the old deviceconfig log from my last response so as not to anger the mods)

[deleted]
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 1:20 AM
That's what mine looks like after making the same edit (changing them all to 4's), so either we are both right, or we are both wrong Togetherness is comforting, right?

I think your next step would be NvidiaInspector, unless I'm missing something.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#53 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndreaJEP
That's what mine looks like after making the same edit (changing them all to 4's), so either we are both right, or we are both wrong Togetherness is comforting, right?

I think your next step would be NvidiaInspector, unless I'm missing something.

Indeed. If this is all correct, Nvidia Inspector is definitely the next step. I'm just...y'know, a little hesitant. I feel like I just made it through this gigantic challenge of fixing something that probably should've been pretty simple, and the whole next Nvidia Inspector thing looks super intimidating.

I of course plan on following the step-by-step walkthrough that Nitromon posted on page 1 of this thread, but before I start...any advice?
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 1:32 AM
When you unpack the NvidiaInspector, the file you need to open is actually called "nvidiaProfileInspector.exe". I think the tutorial calls it something slightly different. The option you need to change may be grayed out, but that's ok, you can still change it. Also, the FPS options it gave me were, for some reason, strange numbers (they all end in .7 instead of being whole numbers). I don't know why, but I just picked "60.7" fps, then checked my frame rate in the game, and it worked, even on the teeny tiniest world I could find (Armiel's Builder's Island, incidentally). Unless someone tells me that the extra .7 is going to make my computer implode, I'm not worried about it, though I would be interested in knowing why it's doing that.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 3:44 AM
No problem with the 0.7. There's some technical explanation on their site about why they did that. I don't care for it, so I just use an older version. But it is essentially the same.

Oh good, thanks! I will probably go find the technical explanation, too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#57 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 6:21 AM
I am a bit confused about one part - in the instructions Nitromon posted about Nvidia Inspector, about doing a 30min-1hour test run in a small world. What is it I'm testing out/looking for in that run? Am I testing to see how smoothly it's running? If so, won't I get something of a false read since I don't yet have any cc/mods installed, and definitely plan to play my game with quite a fair amount of them? And also, why am I doing the test run in a small world? Of all of the default world included in the base game/expansions I have listed as installed, which is the smallest/should I go with?
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 6:34 AM
You are testing to see how high the fps goes. You want a small world without mods/cc installed so that the fps will be pushed very high. If Nvidia Inspector is NOT working correctly, you would then see a very high fps in a small world, whereas in a large world. you might get the fps below 60 no matter what. If Nvidia Inspector IS working correctly, your fps will be 60 or below even with a very tiny world.

For example, I usually play huge custom worlds, and my fps was usually between 45-60 just because the GPU has so much to do. However, after reading about Nvidia Inspector here, I checked my fps with Builder's Island (the smallest world I know about), and it was well over 200, reaching just over 500 at one point. That is why you check with a small world.

If you want to install just one bit of CC to try the fps with, here is Builder's Island: http://modthesims.info/d/403308
I'm not sure what the smallest EA world would be, unfortunately.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#60 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 9:23 PM
Gotcha, I think I understand.

I'm now beginning the whole process. I've downloaded Nvidia Inspector and have placed Nvidia Profile Inspector on my desktop for use in a moment. I'm currently opening up my Nvidia control panel, as according to step 1 (of the walkthrough Nitromon posted on pg 1 of this thread).

Here's where I'm stuck. I'm not sure where I'm supposed to find the 'Sims 3 profile'. When I open the Nvidia Control Panel, I see a somewhat empty window with a green square that says Nvidia Control Panel, and on the left, three categories (3D Settings, Display, and Video) that branch out into several other links. I can post a screenshot if needed.

Where do I go from here?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#62 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 9:55 PM

Click "3D settings" to open the menu tree. Click "Manage 3D Settings" and it will give you the panel on the right. Choose "program setting" and find Sims 3. If it is not in the profile, click "add" and look for Sims 3 and add it. Then you will see the profile for Sims 3.

Okay, following you so far. Sims 3 seems to be listed, but it is listed as sims3launcher.exe . Is that correct? I feel like it's not, since it mentions the launcher?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#63 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 10:31 PM
I'm re-reading your walkthrough and seeing that you mentioned it should say TS3W.exe. Is it safe for me to assume I should Add Sims 3, since the only sims3-related thing listed is Sims3launcher.exe?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#65 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 11:10 PM
Um... I'm not sure. I think it says sims3launcher, but it also has ts3w.exe tagged with it. The NCP (Nvidia Control Panel) is not as powerful as NI (Nvidia Inspector). However, they "both" open the same profile. So why don't you try Nvidia Inspector instead. Open the profile editor in Nvidia Inspector, look for the Sims 3 profile. On there then you will see the listed programs associated with Sims 3 profile, it should have TS3W.EXE and SIMS3LAUNCHER.EXE both in the same profile.

If it does, then you can use NI or go back to NCP to do the vsync and triple buffer. Why don't you just do it in NI instead, the vsync is also in the screenshot I posted earlier. Just put in the same values as in the screenshot for Vsync, triple buffering.

Okay, so I've opened up NI and found Sims 3. Up at the top left in the green bar (like where you outlined as #1 in the screenshot you posted with your walkthrough on page 1) it reads sims3.exe, ts3w.exe, sims3launcher.exe . So should I use NI or go back to NCP?

Also, where your image showed to change Frame Rate Limiter (outlined as #2 in your photo), in the box where you have instructed me to put 60, the default/what it's already set as is 0xA000001E'. Is that normal, is that what it should be before I change it to 60?

Waiting for your response, I can continue to follow your walkthrough for NI, or can go back to NCP. Or both, since your walkthrough sort of makes it seem as though I should be doing both? Not sure...just let me know. Thank you!

edit:
also, i'm now noticing that if in NCP I select 'add' and select Sims 3, it does say ts3w.exe. So to be clear, in case it's relevant, sims3launcher.exe and ts3w.exe seem to be seperate/under two different profiles?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#66 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 1:59 AM
@ nitromon

So I'm still wondering if I should follow your original walkthrough and do both NCP and NI, or just one. Also, another question about NI. There is a drop-down menu of what can be selected for Frame Rate Limiter (as stated above, the default/what it's already set as is [confusingly] 0xA000001E). The closest to 60 available is: [~] 60.7 fps . Though, it does seem to be possible to type something instead, so should I be selecting the 60.7 option, or just type in 60 fps as your screenshot in your walkthrough shows?

Setting triple buffer on seems simple enough, it's just on/off in the drop down menu, so no questions about that. just not sure where the whole vsync thing comes in. Would it be 'Vertical Sync'? As that is listed just a few lines below Triple Buffer. The drop-down menu options for that are Force On, Force Off, Use The 3D Application Setting, 1/2 Refresh Rate, 1/3 Refresh Rate, and 1/4 Refresh Rate. Again, I'm not even sure if by Vsync you're referring to Vertical Sync in the NI program.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#68 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 3:14 AM
I think you are making it more complicated than it is.

As I've said earlier, the NCP is not as advanced as NI, so it simply doesn't "show" all the programs associated with it. It only shows the 1st one. When you load NI, it loads the exact same profile, but you can see "all" the programs associated with it. So you do not want to "add" any new profile to ts3w.exe because it is already assigned to TS3 along with the launcher, etc... You can modify the Vsync in NI or NCP, because they're the same profile. I think AndreaJEP and I already discuss the 60.7, it is fine.

I don't understand why you're asking about 1/2 refresh, 1/3 refresh etc... you're just making it harder than it is and confusing yourself. If you look at the screenshot I've provided, I already have the exact setting you should put in.

I do apologize, I'm not trying to make it more complicated, I'm just trying to communicate what I'm seeing on my end so as to hopefully make it easier for you to help me.

I'll try and rephrase my questions.

1) Should I be using Nvidia Control Panel, or Nvidia Inspector? Your original walkthrough on Page 1 of this thread seemed to instruct me to use both programs.

2) IF you do indeed want me to use Nivida Control Panel, I'm asking if when pulling up the Sims 3 profile, I should select the one that lists it as sims3launcher.exe, or the one that lists it as ts3w.exe ?

3) IF I am using Nvidia Inspector, when I go to fix Frame Rate Limiter, should I type out 60 fps as you have, or should I select [~] 60.7 fps from the drop-down menu? (the drop-down menu is the same bar where I could also type out '60 fps', just so we're clear - that is why I am confused, because I don't know if I'm supposed to just type it or select from the drop-down menu)

Again, I apologize for making everything so confusing. I do so much appreciate your help and paitience, it means so much to me that a complete stranger actually is taking the time to help me out and get all of this set up and straightened out. Genuinely, thank you, and I have so much appreciation for what you're doing.

edited to add #3 question
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 5:06 AM
1) I followed the steps exactly as nitromon wrote them and thus used both programs, but it looks like you could use just NI if you wanted, since it includes all the settings.
2) N/A
3) 60.7 is fine, as nitromon and I discussed above
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#70 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 5:11 AM
1) I followed the steps exactly as nitromon wrote them and thus used both programs, but it looks like you could use just NI if you wanted, since it includes all the settings.
2) N/A
3) 60.7 is fine, as nitromon and I discussed above

Okay, so I'll go ahead and do both. Does it matter which I do first? And could you clarify what you mean about #2? Because I'm honestly not sure which I'm supposed to use, the one that presents as sims3launcher.exe, or the one that presents as ts3w.exe?

Thank you for your help as well, it is so very much appreciated.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 5:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by caccigirl
Okay, so I'll go ahead and do both. Does it matter which I do first? And could you clarify what you mean about #2? Because I'm honestly not sure which I'm supposed to use, the one that presents as sims3launcher.exe, or the one that presents as ts3w.exe?

Thank you for your help as well, it is so very much appreciated.

Which one you do first doesn't matter. Use ts3w.exe
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#73 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 5:35 AM
The thing is, people come in and out of these forums. We can't all be here all the time. So we try our best to give you the most direct way to solve your problem. When you go off tangent, you start confusing yourself, and it makes it harder for you when the instructions are actually indeed that simple. Don't overthink it, don't ask so many questions b/c most of them are not relevant.

I like to point out this will be the 3rd time I'm explaining the same thing. I'm not pointing it out b/c I'm upset, I'm pointing it out to draw attention to you that this question has been answered but I think you are being overwhelmed again b/c you're making it more than it is. Just stay focused. I know a lot of people say asking questions is good, but asking wrong questions is also bad b/c it leads to tangents and bloat situations.

So I will explain it again. NI and NCP both edit the "same" profile. Whatever changes you make to one will be reflected in the other. So you can use either one, it makes absolutely no difference. The only thing is NI is much more advanced and has more options. NCP doesn't offer you the FPS limiter, it is in the NI. However, the option is in the same profile.

From what you said ealier, "Is it safe for me to assume I should Add Sims 3" and I explained that you shouldn't be adding anything since you said NI "1) it reads sims3.exe, ts3w.exe, sims3launcher.exe"

Don't make it harder than it is. It really is as simple as I'm making it out to be. Both NI and NCP uses the EXACT same profile. When you edit one, it is reflected in the other. Since the TS3 profile already has "sims3.exe, ts3w.exe, sims3launcher.exe" there is NO reason for you to add another profile. Just because it doesn't SAY ts3w.exe in NCP, it doesn't mean it is not there. It is simply not showing it.

AndreaJEP and I already had this discussion above, just scroll up and read it.

I apologize, because I think you've hit it right on the nose, about the tangents and overwhelming/confusing myself trying to figure it out. So I feel the need to thank you yet again for your patience.

I obviously wasn't getting it, but definitely do now, and very much appreciate you clarifying it for me in a way I was finally able to get through my head: Either program, both programs, they both change the same thing/any changes made in one are going to reflect in the other. Really simple, I don't know how I wasn't understanding before.

Anyway, here's where I am now.

- I re-read your walkthrough. I really feel like I'm actually understanding it now.
- I opened up NCP and set Triple Buffering to On.
- I opened up NI and set Frame Rate Limiter to the 60.7 fps option from the drop-down menu.

The only remaining question I have is regarding step #2 from your walkthrough. I'm not finding in NCP where to 'force vsync on'. Could you send me a quick screenshot? Otherwise, everything seems to be a-okay and taken care of, I think.
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 5:41 AM
"vsync" is the same as vertical sync. Just choose "on" from the drop-down box.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#75 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 5:46 AM
"vsync" is the same as vertical sync. Just choose "on" from the drop-down box.

Will do. Is it relevant that the default is set as Use global setting (On) ? (The other drop-down menu options are Use 3D application setting, Off, and On.)

Sorry, asking stupid questions, I know. This'll be my last, I promise.
Page 3 of 4