Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 4:02 PM
Default How would I edit the material definition to make something shiny?
Hi people, I am in the process of making a futuristic pool table and wondered, how would I make the frame REALLY shiny? Thanks if you can help!

Oh my it's rear end is having a poo!!- Magical Trevor 2

Come to my new site! I am constantly updating it! Iggy Sims!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 4:28 PM
Wait, I think I have fixed it, but if anyone knows, please tell me anyway, just incase!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 4:47 PM
Nope, it's not fixed, and I get the dreaded "jump" bug when I try to perform a trick shot.... DAM!
Instructor
#4 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 4:59 PM Last edited by thefuzmixman : 17th Apr 2005 at 5:22 PM.
hold on im writing up a mini tut.

They shiney stuff you see is done with reflection maps. Here's how to apply your own.

first, back up your package.

1.) Find an object that has a shine you like and open it within SimPE.

2.)Extract the reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube texture by rightclicking it in the texture image list at the top and selecting, "extract". Name it as something you will remember. It may be named something different but should always haved the -envcube at the end of it's name.

3.)Go into the matd of that same package and find the matd that corresponds to the reflection map and using the same method as before right click it in the list and extract it.

http://modthesims2.com/attachment.p...tid=52837&stc=1

4.)Open up your custom package that you want to add a reflection to.

5.)Go into the texture image section, right click a blank line, and add the image you extracted in step 2.

6.)Go up one texture and copy the file name up to the double underscore.(basically the global name of your package that you gave when using the scenograph wizard) Replace the prefix of the reflectionmap to be the same as the rest of your texture images. Click commit then save.

7.)Go into your matd section and select the matd of the part your wishing to change.

8.) Copy down both the file name at the top and the stdMatBaseTextureName value.

http://modthesims2.com/attachment.p...tid=52839&stc=1

9.)Replace you matd with the one you extracted in step 3, then add back the information you just copied down. Click commit, then save.

That should work. If that doesn't though, there is an alternative method. Also if your reflection has wierd colors you may need to change some more properties in the matd you imported. If you don't know how to do that, just ask

Hope i helped
Screenshots

xD
Forum Resident
#5 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 5:18 PM Last edited by dewshine : 4th Dec 2006 at 4:09 AM.
Altering the material definition to get "shiny" is not that hard. I would love to help you out.
Here's what I do:
Go into the the Material Definition for the frame.
Look for the following: "stdMatEnvCubeCoef"
For the non-reflective frame those numbers following will be "0,0,0"
Change those to any number up to 1 (ie .5, .15, 1 etc) 1 is the most shine. You will have to play with the settings a bit. Look at my reflective roof pieces, most of them are a ".5,.5,.5" but the white is ".3,.3,.3"
Next Look for "stdMatEnvCubeMode" and change the "none" to "reflection"
If you stop there you will have a shiny frame, but the shine will be a odd test pattern to fix this you have to add a line. the property name for this line needs to read "stdMatEnvCubeTextureName"
You can use any of the following textures for your reflection or you can create your own and add it to the package

Reflectionbronze-envcube (orange)
Reflectiongold-envcube (gold)
Reflectionbronzenonlit-envcube (darker orange)
Reflectiondarkgold-envcube (darker gold)
Reclectiongoldnonlit-envcube (med tone gold)
Reflectionsilver-envcube (silver)
Reflectionsilvernonlit-envcube (darker silver)
Reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube (rusty orange to black)
Reflectionsparking-envcube (black to red)
I don't think that doing this to the texture would cause a problem like you describe. to make sure why don't you create the shiny version as a color option?
Instructor
#6 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 5:24 PM Last edited by thefuzmixman : 17th Apr 2005 at 5:42 PM.
dews method is a bit easier and customizable. mines more linear. sorry.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 5:42 PM Last edited by dewshine : 17th Apr 2005 at 5:48 PM.
thefuzmixman, they both work. so now TheSims2Master has two methods to choose from. Oh and I want to add that I "stole" this method from the great RGiles attempts to help Resco create his shiny catsuits and Blink13y with his metallic robot skins :D

PS...You are welcome. the reflectionmaps I listed are included in the hidden textures within the game itself and every game should have them already. Hey I learned something too. Now I know exactly how to add a custom reflection!
Instructor
#8 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 5:43 PM
lol. it's all good. Your method is much easier. I didn't know you didn't have to have the reflectionmap within the package for it to work. You helped two people today.

thanks dear :p
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 6:33 PM Last edited by TheSims2Master : 17th Apr 2005 at 6:44 PM.
Thanks, it's done!
Forum Resident
#10 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 7:14 PM
TheSims2Master I look forward to seeing your pooltable.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 7:19 PM
Thanks, there's just one problem, it has that jump bug thingy when you perform trick shots, like I said before, know anyone who can fix this?
Forum Resident
#12 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 7:40 PM
Sounds like a mesh fault of some type...If it is a new mesh. Of course that would make the problem out of my league. Could it be that something is misnamed in the bahv files?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 3rd Jul 2005 at 11:07 AM
Looks like a dead thread, but I thought I'd Post anyway.
I dont really follow how to add your own reflection. Can you export the ingame ones to recolour your own, and If so, how?
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 20th Aug 2005 at 8:19 AM Last edited by harpy0 : 30th Jun 2007 at 6:05 AM.
All you need to do is change:
stdMatEnvCubeMode to "reflection" (If you do not do this, you will not see any results from the instructions below. It is not the same as reflectivity.)

stdMatEnvCubeCoef to something other than 0,0,0. This controls the brilliance of the reflectivity. 0.01 is very little shine / 0.9+ is a more intensive shine. It's your choice.

stdMatEnvCubeTextureName: reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube
or any of the others posted above.

Also, if you would like the object to be transparent change: stdMatAlphaBlendMode to "blend"

If you would like only certain parts to be transparent. Visit this tutorial:
http://fishtop.com/ts2transtutorial.htm
It is very simple to follow. If you have any trouble, pm me. I'll be happy to help anyone with questions if I can.

I can also show you how to make genuine chrome, or color changing metal. Pm me for details.

NEW TO SIMPE?
Changing MATD settings is very simple: (If anyone needs to know)
Load your object
Select "Material Definition" and then select the file of your choice in the Type pane. (Panes are the sections within a window, obviously.)
Go down to Plug-in view and select the MATD that you wish to modify.
To the right, in the Properties pane, you will see a text box labeled "Value". Delete the text or paste your new text here. Click commit.
You're done.

A reminder: Don't forget to save your file.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 23rd Aug 2005 at 4:10 PM
Thanks ever so much harpy!!! I spoke via Pm as you know, but just so people dont hink I left this thread!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 7:57 PM
I assume this technique works for clothin meshes as well. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Instructor
#17 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 10:53 PM Last edited by AmberDiceless : 11th Nov 2005 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Figured it out.
Quote: Originally posted by dewshine
If you stop there you will have a shiny frame, but the shine will be a odd test pattern to fix this you have to add a line. the property name for this line needs to read "stdMatEnvCubeTextureName"

Hmm. I got the rest without a problem, but I can't figure out how to do this part. *Holds up flashing neon N00B sign* Can anybody explain it to me?

(Edit:) NM, I found out what I was doing wrong. Note to self: click 'add' first, *then* enter data, not the other way around.) XD
Inventor
#18 Old 12th Nov 2005 at 4:31 AM
How do you add choices into that list? I found it a great help, but I'd like to know for future reference. ( For example, a shiny pink or blue. )

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Forum Resident
#19 Old 27th Aug 2006 at 6:16 AM
Hi. I just wanted to share something with somebody, I tried 1,1,1 with a toilet, and this is what I got:
is this normal?
Screenshots
Part-time Hermit
#20 Old 27th Aug 2006 at 6:18 AM
I think that's a problem with texture more than the material definition. Seems to me those red spots are in the texture image itself.
Scholar
#21 Old 27th Aug 2006 at 7:29 PM
the best reflect map to use is the outdoordaytime-envcube for metal. using that i've made metal that looks exactly like chrome, gold and more!
Scholar
#22 Old 30th Aug 2006 at 11:31 PM
i tried using this 1: Reflectionsliver-envcube i got an ugly red around plus i zoomed in and saw the 100100 texture missing thing when the texture isnt there.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 2nd Sep 2006 at 5:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ToRnado
i tried using this 1: Reflectionsliver-envcube i got an ugly red around plus i zoomed in and saw the 100100 texture missing thing when the texture isnt there.

I think it's a mispelling, try using Reflectionsilver-envcube instead, it worked for me

Life's a game, so let's play!
Scholar
#24 Old 2nd Sep 2006 at 3:46 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 3rd Sep 2006 at 1:23 PM. Reason: edited to combine posts
Quote: Originally posted by frillen
I think it's a mispelling, try using Reflectionsilver-envcube instead, it worked for me

man that silver 1 is really cool! i dunno i kinda still like using this 1 the best: outdoordaytime-envcube cos 1. it has a real reflection in and 2. it looks the shiniest.

someone said you can add your own how do you do that?

found another 1

gothlivingroom_01-envcube (brown)
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 7:25 AM
To all who helped in this discussion, THANKS. You all totally rock for sharing your knowlege.

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]I think that the only real way to be hypocrisy free is to stand up for nothing…and I’d rather deal with sometimes being a hypocrite than wake up one day, prostrate in my own apathy.
. *Me*
Page 1 of 2