Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#2101 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 5:04 AM Last edited by palhoncho : 2nd Sep 2014 at 6:12 PM.
I love the idea of the "illogical penguin". I didn't even know seasons had penguins, am very jealous of simmers with seasons! (My laptop's pretty basic so I only installed uni/NL. Seasons seems like a pretty graphic-intensive one so it's probably for the best that I don't get it, but oh how lovely it looks.)

I might use the sacrificing elders thing for my Egypt subhood, if I end up doing that! I'm estimating at least 30 households by gen three, so it's looking likely.

Congrats on the recessive genes! (Apologies for posting so much, hehe, I'm just so ridiculously enthusiastic about this challenge and everyone I know in real life is sick of hearing about it! xD)

Check out my Simblr over at Kat's Simming Adventures !
Advertisement
Instructor
#2102 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 5:28 AM
Oh don't worry we're all just as crazy about the challenge here.

Wow 30 households? Good luck managing that.

I finally got an update up Link here if anyone is interested: http://justanothertestoftime.wordpr...round-3-wynn-3/

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Lab Assistant
#2103 Old 31st Aug 2014 at 5:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
In my first attempt the penguin from seasons keeps wandering past the houses despite the season being set to summer. My sims called it the illogical penguin and had to feed it fish. (Come to think of it nearly all my games have followed this religion since) After one family couldn't afford the payments and started to die from sickness I decided to kill a sim each time the penguin walked past and was not fed. It also helped to keep earnings from fishing down since they fed the penguin so much. In the ice age when fish stocks were low my sims instead built shrines (snowmen) for the penguin.

It's not too late. Pay attention to the strange little things your sims do, make odd occurrences part of their culture.

This is really good advice. Also! Funnily enough I never knew the penguin ate fish until for the first time ever I happened to have fish on the ground mid-selling and it waltzes along (during summer of course) to snatch it up... I was so busy staring gobsmacked it got a second fish gobbled down before I got a sim to shoo it away XD

Today is a monumentous occasion in my game. The recessive genes are finally starting to come through from dark haired couples Yay.

Congratulations! Isn't it the best feeling?! It's so exciting to see long-lost genes reappear. *throws confetti*

Quote: Originally posted by palhoncho
Congrats on the recessive genes! (Apologies for posting so much, hehe, I'm just so ridiculously enthusiastic about this challenge and everyone I know in real life is sick of hearing about it! xD)
Is all good! When I start a conversation with "my sims today..." the people in my household eyes glaze over and those just entering the room promptly turn and run - thankfully there are forums like this around!

Oh don't worry we're all just as crazy about the challenge here.
Nothing but the truth

taliah~
Inventor
#2104 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by taliahneth
Is all good! When I start a conversation with "my sims today..." the people in my household eyes glaze over and those just entering the room promptly turn and run - thankfully there are forums like this around!
Thankfully I've got a sister who's just as sim obsessed, so I have someone to talk to. The other sister however couldn't care about MY sims, only her own. Of course she's used to me rambling on about whatever random thing happens to be on my computer screen, so she usually tunes me out... ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Instructor
#2105 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:38 AM
Gah... I just realized I lost the pictures for half of this round and so much happened too.

My family has the exact same reaction when I bring up sims as well even though they should be used to it after all these years.

Lab Assistant
#2106 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:27 PM
Anyone else getting Sims 4? Restarted challenge when all my Sims games went to the new bundle (good excuse to prune and redownload my custom content), now new Sims game altogether...I'm considering trying the challenge in Sims 4 and I'm curious if anyone else is.
Test Subject
#2107 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 6:05 PM
Hey folks, just nearing the end of my fourth round and all the founders are finally reaching the elder stage. I confess, it makes me a little emotional. I also broke my rules and saved a sim from death for the first time... I just couldn't bring myself to let Sakana die, she's my favourite, so I let her husband plead with the grim reaper. Perhaps he wouldn't have cared if he'd known about her affair with one of the neighbours, haha!

I'm so close to starting the second generation now, very excited.

@lbsgirl: finally up to date with your challenge! Frond, noooo! (I'm still upset about Lixa, too. I loved her hair and her tiny nose.) I love how ridiculously complicated all your family trees are getting, even if it makes things trickier to follow.
I also love how you have this same issue I do of neat sims sweeping up ashes of their freinds/family before the grim reaper is even done taking them away! Always makes me laugh.

Test Subject
#2108 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 8:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by oboesapien
Anyone else getting Sims 4? Restarted challenge when all my Sims games went to the new bundle (good excuse to prune and redownload my custom content), now new Sims game altogether...I'm considering trying the challenge in Sims 4 and I'm curious if anyone else is.

I will try to play this challenge in the sims 4 ill find some way to use both the towns after cleaning it up of corse i dont have the sims 4 yet but i will get it for a fact
Test Subject
#2109 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 9:15 PM
Hi, found this challenge a while back and think I will give it a go. As a history student, the idea of taking the sims through different historical periods really interests me and I have read most of your stories and found them very interesting. So far I have made four "tribes" with two couples in each and moved them into their houses.
Lab Assistant
#2110 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 12:27 AM
Hey folks, just nearing the end of my fourth round and all the founders are finally reaching the elder stage. I confess, it makes me a little emotional. I also broke my rules and saved a sim from death for the first time... I just couldn't bring myself to let Sakana die, she's my favourite, so I let her husband plead with the grim reaper. Perhaps he wouldn't have cared if he'd known about her affair with one of the neighbours, haha!

See, I don't really consider pleading with the Grim Reaper to be cheating. I've let my Sims do that a few times--then of course when my favorite Sim died, the pleading Sim lost the game and I was so mad, lol. BUT her family had a genie, and since there was no rule about wishing a Sim back to life (that I saw, at least) I let her brother do that, and now it looks like she's probably going to be either the emperess, or close to it.

Then one of my Hamilton heirs died and I let his mom wish him back to life...but he came back as a zombie!! That has never happened to me before, lol. I was a little startled at first. Made my already crazy round that much crazier!

The Test of Time Challenge BLOG
Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Instructor
#2111 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 2:19 AM

I'm so close to starting the second generation now, very excited.

@lbsgirl: finally up to date with your challenge! Frond, noooo! (I'm still upset about Lixa, too. I loved her hair and her tiny nose.) I love how ridiculously complicated all your family trees are getting, even if it makes things trickier to follow.
I also love how you have this same issue I do of neat sims sweeping up ashes of their freinds/family before the grim reaper is even done taking them away! Always makes me laugh.

I'm in the same stage with generation two starting to reach elderhood and it is a little emotional, I feel like I've spent forever playing these sims and now they're getting old.

Glad to hear you're enjoying my challenge

I couldn't believe what happened to your Tehash clan So many losses but this challenge has a way of doing that, everything's going well and then something like that happens.
Quote: Originally posted by samd440
See, I don't really consider pleading with the Grim Reaper to be cheating. I've let my Sims do that a few times--then of course when my favorite Sim died, the pleading Sim lost the game and I was so mad, lol. BUT her family had a genie, and since there was no rule about wishing a Sim back to life (that I saw, at least) I let her brother do that, and now it looks like she's probably going to be either the emperess, or close to it.

Then one of my Hamilton heirs died and I let his mom wish him back to life...but he came back as a zombie!! That has never happened to me before, lol. I was a little startled at first. Made my already crazy round that much crazier!

I don't consider pleading cheating either I just tend not to do it unless the death would be really inconvenient for me. I generally do let sims die because I've decided to be ruthless with deaths this challenge but if a sim makes it to the dying sim in time and the death would be mildly inconvenient (ie one spouse dies without a son) I let them plead but otherwise I try not to. Many of my deaths have been from fighting in the past so it's not really worth pleading especially if the attacker was a sibling/lived on the same lot because they just fight again.

I did do everything in my power to help the sons of the Fisher and Accardo clans survive in Neanderthal since they were both hanging by pretty much a single thread at one point or other. If my population was smaller I would have no qualms about pleading regularly.

You have a zombie? Cool.

Quote: Originally posted by Zebra12
Hi, found this challenge a while back and think I will give it a go. As a history student, the idea of taking the sims through different historical periods really interests me and I have read most of your stories and found them very interesting. So far I have made four "tribes" with two couples in each and moved them into their houses.

Welcome to the challenge Can't wait to hear how you get on.

I'm personally not getting sims 4, I'm happy with sims 2 and couldn't live without all my cc tbh. I did install the UC yesterday though so I may be adding in some new features soon.

Test Subject
#2112 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 1:33 PM
I'll probably get 4 but I imagine a historical challenge would be hard to do on sims 4 without any CC since getting everything to look right for the period is half the fun of it for me! Once the game's been out a while it might be cool though, especially since ts4 seems to be taking a lot of cues from 2 rather than 3.

I guess pleading isn't strictly cheating, but I told myself I wouldn't be doing it and I'd just let sims die whenever I had to. Ah well.

Lab Assistant
#2113 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 3:35 PM
I'll probably get 4 but I imagine a historical challenge would be hard to do on sims 4 without any CC since getting everything to look right for the period is half the fun of it for me! Once the game's been out a while it might be cool though, especially since ts4 seems to be taking a lot of cues from 2 rather than 3.

I guess pleading isn't strictly cheating, but I told myself I wouldn't be doing it and I'd just let sims die whenever I had to. Ah well.

After playing it, I have no idea how you would be able to play this challenge in Sims 4. It would have to be highly modified. You can't stock the fridge, and I haven't figured out the purpose of fishing yet because the only option it shows me is to mount the fish, not prepare it as food. And their emotions make them very high-maintenance. Even just practically speaking, there's no family tree to keep track of your lineage, and households age even when you're playing other households, so... it would certainly be much tricker/different, in my opinion. (There are also less than a half dozen available houses in each world (two worlds) so you would have to keep a very limited number of households. Basically your whole entire game would be this challenge.)

Oh, I'm also pretty sure kids can't garden until they're teens.

Haha, my little zombie photobombed the family photo.
Screenshots

The Test of Time Challenge BLOG
Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Test Subject
#2114 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 10:21 PM
Hmm, yeah. Sims 4 looks like it'll still be fun in it's own right, but definitely not very suited to a challenge like this, that span across entire neighbourhoods. Might be good for legacies though, if you keep a family tree manually.

Lab Assistant
#2115 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 1:59 AM
LOL at the zombie photobomb XD I haven't played with zombies in too long... now that makes me realise coz of ATOT I haven't played any creature in too long! Woe is me~

I'm infinitely curious about TS4, from what I've seen it looks like the sims themselves will be highly entertaining, I'd try it just for that. But as I'm still happily in love with TS2 I can't justify the price tag !_! I know, I know, it's not like I couldn't go without food for a few days (really who has time to eat when playing sims?!) no, no... be a good girl now.

I lost my new Neanderthal simmies (long story - involves being a total n00b and the UC so let's just move on now) and it's taken me a while to get back to recreating them because even after only one round they were awesome and I was so attached! Anyone else have that problem? So of course coz I loved them so much I was trying to re-create them exactly - major fail - and in the end created all new simmies that are cracking me up so hard I keep forgetting to take pictures - after only one day in each house! Maybe it was a serendipitous mistake after all XD

I always forget to plead with grimmie =/ I did it once in my original challenge because right at the start my fave sim died from heat stroke before even one child was born - so I got her husband to bring her back - but since then I keep forgetting I can! Probably a good thing though coz it's trouble enough keeping population down.

taliah~
Instructor
#2116 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 5:29 PM
I've updated my blog again. The new part is called 'Hormones and Hurt Feelings' in which the teens discover the opposite sex and the problems relationships can bring, among other things. Check out A Hitch in Time for the full story and pictures. Link is in my signature.
Instructor
#2117 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 3:22 AM
Oh how exciting I'm really loving the style of your updates. I take it you're not playing with the 'loser of all fights must be killed rule' yet? I can see how starting with eight teenagers would make it kind of pointless to do.

Speaking of fights my Colosseum is nearly finished so I think I'll start killing off some slaves next round.

Instructor
#2118 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 11:56 AM
Oh how exciting I'm really loving the style of your updates. I take it you're not playing with the 'loser of all fights must be killed rule' yet? I can see how starting with eight teenagers would make it kind of pointless to do.

No, I'll start playing with 'loser of fights is killed' as well as sickness rolls which can kill sims in the second season the founders are adults. I want to give them one season as adults to start making babies so I'm not in danger of losing a clan entirely.
Test Subject
#2119 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 3:26 PM
I'm loving a Hitch in Time!

Is the Colosseum just a place for executions? I think when I get to the Romans, it'd be cool to have two slaves fight there and kill the loser. (Though I was also thinking of chucking them in a pool full of those animated sharks you can get. Hmm.)

I shouldn't be getting ahead of myself, haha. Generation 2 is well under way in my game though, and the first gen 3 babies have been born (twins!). I'm very excited.

Test Subject
#2120 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 7:53 PM
I don't usually use the mod the sims forum but after seeing this challenge I just had to try it. Though I've only just started, so far it has been super exciting and quite the challenge for me. ^^ For anyone interested you can view my progress here: http://cjar4u.wix.com/bubblesandsims. Documenting my progress in a challenge is also a first for me so if anybody has any helpful suggestions for how to improve my gameplay in this challenge or how to imrpove the way I keep track of things please let me know.

Loving reading about everyone else's challenge especially the illogical penguin haha.
Instructor
#2121 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 3:11 AM Last edited by lbsgirl24 : 7th Sep 2014 at 3:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by samantha_kathy
No, I'll start playing with 'loser of fights is killed' as well as sickness rolls which can kill sims in the second season the founders are adults. I want to give them one season as adults to start making babies so I'm not in danger of losing a clan entirely.

Ok that makes sense It would be awful to lose a couple before any babies are even born.

I'm loving a Hitch in Time!

Is the Colosseum just a place for executions? I think when I get to the Romans, it'd be cool to have two slaves fight there and kill the loser. (Though I was also thinking of chucking them in a pool full of those animated sharks you can get. Hmm.)

I shouldn't be getting ahead of myself, haha. Generation 2 is well under way in my game though, and the first gen 3 babies have been born (twins!). I'm very excited.

Yeah the colosseum is the place to kill slaves. I'm thinking of having two fight each round for now but when my slave population explodes (which it should soon) I'll probably start throwing sims in who have broken the rules. Or maybe just enter the names of any sims who break the rules multiple times so they're more likely to be chosen. Hmm.

Congrats on gen 3! Roman isn't that far for you then.

Quote: Originally posted by 0oOBubbles0oO
I don't usually use the mod the sims forum but after seeing this challenge I just had to try it. Though I've only just started, so far it has been super exciting and quite the challenge for me. ^^ For anyone interested you can view my progress here: http://cjar4u.wix.com/bubblesandsims. Documenting my progress in a challenge is also a first for me so if anybody has any helpful suggestions for how to improve my gameplay in this challenge or how to imrpove the way I keep track of things please let me know.

Loving reading about everyone else's challenge especially the illogical penguin haha.

I'm really loving your updates
I think you'll be suprized how long the ears stick around. I started with two or three elf sims and the ears are still going strong.

Field Researcher
#2122 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 3:45 AM

Hmm, given my track record of owning nearly every game thus far, one would think so.

But after the fiasco of Sims 3 (meaning the staggering cost of that game overall), I'm going to have to decline. So much amazing content for TS2 was created by this community here at Mod the Sims, and by TS3 Maxis had shamelessly recreated it all for their main site as pay content- usually twenty bucks a pop for a set with one item you truly wanted. I bought a couple of those, and then I realized that EA and Maxis is looking at the sims fan base as an eternal cash cow. That, combined with the fact that so many things were broken that they will not and did not fix... their business model is 'get it out on time, finished or not, patch later- which didn't work in most cases... you see where I'm going with this.

Plus (like someone on this page just mentioned), awesome things that happen now with genes reappearing later down the line etc, just aren't in the game. Key features are missing, so I'm voting with my cash and staying the h*ll away from it.

Any first hand knowledge you have to share here would be appreciated, though. Still interested in seeing how it turns out.

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Test Subject
#2123 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 0oOBubbles0oO

I'm enjoying this challenge! Melina Holonson is my favourite, I love her hair. (Whenever I pick a favourite in someone's challenge they end up dead, but even so...)

Wish I'd thought to include elves, that must really shake up the gene pool (plus, they just look so cool!) Maybe some elven immigrants in the roman era? Or I could have it as a marker for my "god" townies? Yeah, I think I'll go with that.

Test Subject
#2124 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 6:34 PM
I'm really loving your updates
I think you'll be suprized how long the ears stick around. I started with two or three elf sims and the ears are still going strong.
Yay I'm glad someone likes my updates! That's good to hear about the ears as I quite like them. I may even be tempted to add more as they die out, who knows?

I'm enjoying this challenge! Melina Holonson is my favourite, I love her hair. (Whenever I pick a favourite in someone's challenge they end up dead, but even so...)

Wish I'd thought to include elves, that must really shake up the gene pool (plus, they just look so cool!) Maybe some elven immigrants in the roman era? Or I could have it as a marker for my "god" townies? Yeah, I think I'll go with that.
Well if I play long enough then all of the originals will end up dead I love Melina's strong face, I hope to see some interesting genes come out of her.

I don't see why you shouldn't add sims as you feel like it. It makes it more interesting if you play the game as you want it. I'll probably be adding sims every generation to expand the gene pool. Just so the sims have someone to marry besides their cousins haha.
Lab Assistant
#2125 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 10:35 PM
Sims 4 /is/ kind of disappointing. Hoping to see more custom content come out for it as time goes on. As it is, back to Sims 2!
Page 85 of 128