Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 8:51 PM
Default Custom Sims 3 meshes possible, for sure
I have some demonstrable proof that Sims 3 meshing works, and tools to do im meshing with. It's all test versions at present, but I decided on an open test.

I have all the details in a post here. While I am an avid supporter of MTS(2|3), you may get faster responses to questions there, since I have to administer the site anyway.

<* Wes *>
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 1:08 AM
Thanks!

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
MaryLou's Sims 2 World - MaryLou Sims 2 Forum (Italiano)
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 4:33 AM
Whee! Now if they'd only ship my PRE-ORDER.. dang! I can't wait to play! :0)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 7:27 AM
Wonderful...this is good news!
Instructor
#5 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 7:48 AM
Wes is wonderful:D
Field Researcher
#6 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by buggybooz
Wes is wonderful:D

Isn't he just?

Now that I've seen the much more impressive amount of customization already built into the game, I can't WAIT to add to it with some of the quality CC that's sure to come out once this clever, artistic community gets their hands on all the tools.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 10:58 PM
Oh thank goodness! I am soooo looking forward to the day when I can actually make my male Sims look presentable again. LOL Thank you, CC Gurus! I don't know how many people have taken the time to tell you all how much we appreciate everything that you guys do, but we really do!
Test Subject
#8 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 3:22 PM
Oh it's wonderful news, Wes! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you ! I'm so excited now :lovestruc. And waiting for when customsims will work again. I can't open the link.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 3:32 PM
We are having some technical difficulties at the moment on the server. Sigh...
Theorist
#10 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 4:12 PM
Truly amazing work!
I have no idea how you even figured out the inner mechanics of a GEOM mesh file. Truly mind boggling. When I load binary files into hex editors, it looks like gibberish to me. I envy your mind!

Resident wet blanket.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Jun 2009 at 5:26 PM
Like everything else, you get better as you do something. It took me a lot longer to figure out TS2 stuff, but that was four years ago.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 4:36 AM
Dude I love you people!!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 10:24 AM
Thats brilliant news! Its fine ea saying that you can customise to your hearts content, but only allowing the customisation of colours/patterns is a huge step backwards from the previous sims games. Talk about stiffling the creative community that they claim to support! Hope the custom meshing is a success!
Test Subject
#14 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 11:20 AM
Thanks a lot for this! I'll definitely give a try! (The only problem - I am more Blender fan, less experience with Milkshape).
Test Subject
#15 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 12:29 PM
thanks!! :D
Theorist
#16 Old 5th Jun 2009 at 5:16 PM
I plan to try this over the weekend, but am I correct in my understanding that at this time, nobody has uncovered how to create all new clothing/accessories and bin them? So we can only modify meshes of existing items right now, to replace existing items?

Or am I way behind? I'm trying to stay current, but it seems info is scattered across many different forums.

Resident wet blanket.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 3:17 AM
You are correct. The issue really is not in the mesh itself, it is in knowing what other files must be created to make the mesh appear as a new item. And I do not know that right now.

I don't doubt this will happen, but right now people other than I are researching that. I am swamped keeping up. I mean, I haven't even had the game for a full week yet.

<* Wes *>
Field Researcher
#18 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 10:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simgrassalidale
Thats brilliant news! Its fine ea saying that you can customise to your hearts content, but only allowing the customisation of colours/patterns is a huge step backwards from the previous sims games. Talk about stiffling the creative community that they claim to support! Hope the custom meshing is a success!

When the Sims 2 first came out, nobody could mod mesh files for it either. It took a little while before things became what this site has become so well known for. It was a completely different way of doing things than Sims 1 was and the custom content community had to figure out the tools back then too. I've no doubt it won't take terribly long for new meshes to start cropping up all over the place.
Instructor
#19 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:21 PM
How we can find a body mesh we want to edit in TS3 package files? Which package file that contain the body mesh geom file?

I open FullBuild0.package and a lot of geom file there, but I don't know which one the file I'm looking for.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 1:58 PM
The short answer is to use Echo's new tool and find it in there, using preview, then export it, extract it and edit it. Echo has her 'Postal' tool posted over at Inge and Peter's place here.

The long answer would be a tutorial, when I can get it written.