Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2020 at 11:54 PM Last edited by Radiiant : 3rd Jun 2020 at 2:16 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Flashing pink squares under streetlights w/ Chris Hatch's SPs installed
I'm running the Ultimate Collection with one of Chris Hatch's unofficial SPs added into my game. I'm on Windows 10, have the 4GB patch installed (16GB of RAM total), and my graphics card is an AMD Radeon RX 550.

I loaded up one of Chris's custom vacation subhoods, Perky Peaks, and was confronted by a lot of pink flashing. Disabling shaders didn't solve it and I noticed that there were lampposts in the middle of the pink squares. I entered a lot, switched out the lamppost for another one (I don't remember the name of what I replaced it with, but it's the green one that just goes straight up rather than extending out over other tiles), and went back into neighborhood view, and the pink flashing disappeared. I then went into neighborhood decoration outside of a lot, and noticed that the decorative lamppost also had a flashing pink square underneath it.

The affected lampposts are Helier's Streetlamp and the Lit Street Light in the neighborhood decorations. Nothing else seems to be affected (though granted, I haven't checked every lamppost, but most of the default ones are on lots somewhere in the 'hoods I'm playing). Deleting my cache and thumbnail files didn't solve the problem.

My best guess is that it's an issue with shadows (I have Radiance Lighting installed), but it's not affecting anything else, so I'm not sure. It's not the typical lack-of-texture-memory issue because it doesn't slowly consume my game and it only appears underneath these lampposts - it doesn't appear on any lots I'm playing or affect any of the Sims.

I can live without using these lampposts, but because I'm a bit apprehensive about leaving flashing pink things in my game considering that flashing pink is typically Bad News, is there something I can try to fix this?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2020 at 12:29 AM
Are the lampposts CC? If so, the pink-flashing texture could come from the CC items needing a particular mod to work.

Read here:
https://criquette-was-here.tumblr.c...ustom-hood-deco

Other than that, pink-flashing tends to happen when there's a RAM issue with texture memory. Seems to happen more frequently with Windows 10, the UC, and certain newer graphic cards.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2020 at 1:15 AM Last edited by Radiiant : 3rd Jun 2020 at 2:08 AM.
It's hard for me to tell at a glance if they're CC, because I don't use lights like this that often and with the unofficial-SP versions of Chris's mods (and not just the standalone files from Smorbie's SFS account), they're placed into the game files as opposed to the Downloads folder. Any CC built into the mod doesn't have the CC star on the thumbnail. I don't recognize any non-blatantly-not-EAxis neighborhood deco because I'm not patient enough to spend more than five minutes at a time decorating a neighborhood, lol.

I installed Criquette's mod and it seems to have fixed the issue, though, so CC or not, it worked. Thanks!

edit: Okay, amendment, it might have just ended up making more issues. It fixed the lampposts, but I played for a little while and then tried to move a household into an apartment, the game went black throughout the move-in taxi sequence, and then it finally loaded to almost everything flashing pink. Flashing pink didn't happen to this magnitude before I put in Criquette's mod, so I'm not sure if this is coincidence or if I'm going to have to remove the mod and just avoid using those lampposts.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2020 at 11:53 PM
I can't use Criquette's light mod for the same reason, it gave me massive pink flashing. Nothing to do with anything put out by Chris Hatch.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Jun 2020 at 12:12 AM
It could be related to the mod, for instance if you have the newest Radiance mod (I think we're at 2.5 or some such? I haven't gotten around to install any of them yet) - see if the mod is mentioned and/or if it's said if there are compatibility issues with it.
Inventor
#6 Old 4th Jun 2020 at 12:46 AM
Just popping in to say that a lot of criquette's cc are repositoried, meaning you can't have one by itself without it flashing pink. I ran into that a lot because I didn't read the post in full. And I had RLS 2.5 before moving to a different one for a non-related issue, and I didn't encounter pink flashing with RLS 2.5.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jun 2020 at 1:24 AM
I'm on Radiance 2.4 - I held off on 2.5 because I'm not sure I like how it looks. I'll try upgrading and seeing if that solves anything, but it's got Criquette's fix included in the more recent versions and I think that was the root of the pink behemoth of an apartment lot, so I'll have to see if it works.

It's possible the lampposts themselves are repositoried to something, but I cut down on my CC and don't use much beyond what's included in Chris's mod and CAS defaults, so I wouldn't know. I don't think the flashing pink after installing Criquette's fix was a repository issue, though - I was able to play for about an hour with no issues and then suddenly got hit with almost everything on the apartment lot flashing pink except for floor tiles and wallpapers. (Without the mod I could play for far longer and get no flashing except under these lampposts.)

If I understand correctly, it seems like the squares themselves aren't actually a sign of a problem, and are just a shader issue rather than a sign of an imminent crash. I can live with that if needed. I can just remove the lampposts where they're used and pretend that the neighborhood residents lobbied for the banning of mysterious lampposts when they began mysteriously levitating inside the massive flashing pink pits opening up underneath them.
Scholar
#8 Old 4th Jun 2020 at 1:30 AM
There is three or four lights that have the ground glow at night, they all use the same material definition so by overriding that with a null material definition it'll turn them all off and should get rid of the problem.
A&N-Null-LightGlow.zip (439 Bytes)
Inventor
#9 Old 4th Jun 2020 at 1:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Radiiant
I'm on Radiance 2.4 - I held off on 2.5 because I'm not sure I like how it looks. I'll try upgrading and seeing if that solves anything, but it's got Criquette's fix included in the more recent versions and I think that was the root of the pink behemoth of an apartment lot, so I'll have to see if it works.

It's possible the lampposts themselves are repositoried to something, but I cut down on my CC and don't use much beyond what's included in Chris's mod and CAS defaults, so I wouldn't know. I don't think the flashing pink after installing Criquette's fix was a repository issue, though - I was able to play for about an hour with no issues and then suddenly got hit with almost everything on the apartment lot flashing pink except for floor tiles and wallpapers. (Without the mod I could play for far longer and get no flashing except under these lampposts.)

If I understand correctly, it seems like the squares themselves aren't actually a sign of a problem, and are just a shader issue rather than a sign of an imminent crash. I can live with that if needed. I can just remove the lampposts where they're used and pretend that the neighborhood residents lobbied for the banning of mysterious lampposts when they began mysteriously levitating inside the massive flashing pink pits opening up underneath them.

Still, it's a good thing to figure out what's exactly going on so you can avoid this in the future . And 2.5 gets rid of the blue curtain at night, that's the major upgrade from 2.4 I've noticed; unfortunately it makes the Apartment Life closets shaded weird and appear black.

I was just about to page Chris but he beat me to it, so try what he linked.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 3:05 AM
I switched to Radiance 2.5 to see if it would fix anything, and then put Chris's fix on top of it when it didn't solve the lamppost issue. The flashing has stopped for now, but I'm going to give it some more time and see if anything else broke somehow. If I don't report back, assume that nothing exploded.

Thank you all for the help!