Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 9:47 AM
Default The Sims 4 - toolmakers and modders - tomorrow's twallans and quaxis
So... who's still on board? For toolmakers, what I know so far is that Peter has said he'd prefer not to be lead developer on any TS4 project. But he would probably be willing to help occasionally or give advice to anyone else attempting it. I probably wouldn't want to make any major tools either, as I found that maintaining them and helping Peter support his was taking so much time I rarely got a chance to play the game or make my own mods.

On the other hand, Kuree, who has already made some TS3 tools has expressed interest in toolmaking for TS4. I think Delphy is still in the mix too, and Mr Supercaw (whatever he is currently calling himself) said a while back he probably would be.

Modding: I am waiting to see a) if I like the game enough to bother and b) whether the tools that become available make it fun or chore. I've been modding for The Sims for 13 years now, and on the verge of becoming burnt out unless it's a pleasant stress-free activity. Twallan has already made it clear he's out.

What about everyone else?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 9:50 AM
Excuse me? There may not be a s4pe for Sims 4?! I guess everyone is screwed then.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Field Researcher
#3 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 9:59 AM Last edited by Miuki : 21st Aug 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Imagine how EA suits shower in champagne now, screaming "The Store will rule!"
Forgot to mention dancing on tables.

Noone expects the spanish inquisition!
My simblr and my downloads blog .
Space Pony
#4 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 11:26 AM
The current "Gameplay" trailer hasn't even sold me yet. And if the game can not be modded or if Twallan can not mod it then that would be a definite no sell for me.

Why haven't you hired Twallan yet EA~!? WHY~!?

And to think he is currently one of the greatest persons who has teh skillz to fix all of your bungling EA/axis :P
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 12:13 PM
I'm just hoping they'll have made modding easier to get into for TS4. If people can start out making small tweaks easily, and in doing so develop skills which are transferrable to serious modding, then big-time modders will emerge, just like they did with TS2. If the skillset is so different that you have to have prior knowledge or embark on six months of studying to learn how to make significant modifications, then we'll have a situation much more like TS3, where only a handful of people are doing major modding work.

Ofc, it'll all be irrelevant if we have no tools .

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
#6 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 12:23 PM Last edited by Honeywell : 21st Aug 2013 at 4:28 PM.
We were talking about this the other day at leefish. If Sims 4 uses the glassbox engine like SimCity won't that mean we'll have a substantial head start on the tools?

ETA:
As for the original post, I don't have any programming knowledge so developing tools is out for me. If I like the game enough to play it chances are good I'll want to mod it and if that's the case I'd be willing to spend the time needed in order to learn/create for it. But the chances of anything innovative or of a real benefit to the community coming from me is low I'm sorry to say, because like I said, I have no programming knowledge.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 12:25 PM
Aww...Peter and Inge. I understand how doing what you have done with Sim games can get tiring and I support you fully. But still... excuse me while I go in a corner and cry a puddle.

Okay, while I get my composure back, although it's devastating to hear all this, every series has produced some great modders that I could not imagine how I would play the next series without them. Sims 2, there was Squinge, Twojeffs, and another that I forgot their name (see, you can even forget but still loved their spirit in the game) that I couldn't imagine being able to play Sims 3 without their style of modding. Then I discovered the wonderful Twallan and along with his works there is a slew of modders that make Sims 3 a good experience. Right now I can't imagine going on without them.

After all this, there has always been Inge and Peter Jones. I must find another corner to cry in...this one is at flood stage.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
I'm just hoping they'll have made modding easier to get into for TS4. If people can start out making small tweaks easily, and in doing so develop skills which are transferrable to serious modding, then big-time modders will emerge, just like they did with TS2. If the skillset is so different that you have to have prior knowledge or embark on six months of studying to learn how to make significant modifications, then we'll have a situation much more like TS3, where only a handful of people are doing major modding work.

I hope they keep the xml system. Those mods were easy to tweak and anybody who knew how to operate a mouse and read english could do them.

Quote:
Ofc, it'll all be irrelevant if we have no tools .

Lol true.
Im out for ts4 mods. As much as i enjoy doing them i hate updating them three times a year when a new ep comes out.

TS3 will keep me plenty happy for a few years. I already have one mod waiting for me to figure how to fix the last bug i have. Another one waiting for me to have time to implement the last feature and four more in the idea phase.

If i switch to ts4 i want to come to a ready table. Where i can just download the newest mods and ask silly questions in the thrad because i can't be bothered to read the instructions
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 3:13 PM
Truth be told Ani_, I think Sims 3 could get more entertaining and I can see more mods coming out after the series end. Look at Sims 2, they keep going on and adding to the game. I am still excited to see what creators and modders come up with after there is no more patching and all. Cool beans.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 4:30 PM
Anybody else find it a little sad that the game isn't even out yet, and we are already speculating about who will step up to the plate to mod it and make it playable?

I'm sure the game will be awesome without having to mod it...... geeze, I couldn't even type that with a straight face.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 4:36 PM
I wish I could help with developing tools - but I don't have the requisite knowledge or skills for that. Maybe I can volunteer to test - if I like the game that is. I guess we're going to see what happens. Anyway, Hey Inge - it'll be good to have you and Peter still around.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#12 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 4:46 PM
I want to play The Sims4 (if I decide I like it enough to buy it) and though I may find in the course of playing that I need mods, starting off modding the game would be a no for me.

However, I am interested in learning how to make tools because once I get bored of the sims I will need something to do, but like Honeywell, I have no idea of how to get started making tools though. We also have to find out what programming language the game uses.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Mad Poster
#13 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 4:47 PM
I don't think modding will be anything on the level is has been for 2 and 3, personally. Mods will come out eventually, like all games, but I don't think many of the heavy hitters want to jump into another era of Sims. Especially under EAs management.

And the game is heavily stylized. I can already see how out of place some object and clothing mods will look against the heavy art style of the game. I'm all for better hair, though.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#14 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
I can already see how out of place some object and clothing mods will look against the heavy art style of the game.

Exactly.Even modded it can look terrible,cuz contast between cc and game style will be very huge.Just imagine shiny hairs in the cartoony environment.........
Instructor
#15 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 6:02 PM
There will a time...when EA realized how precious The Sims modders are...

Is there any of you invited to Gamecom or EA's Sims studio?

Is EA shared and revealed some code to you to make it easy for you to make the mod tool (for THEM)?
Scholar
#16 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 6:08 PM
I cant wait to see copy-pasted-photoskinned-straight-from-google-images-or-clothing-store-website-textures on clothing meshes with floaty-overly-wavy-overly-shiny peggy like hair meshes and oiled up overly toned photo real skin and eyes in this game. It will be great. They might as well water mark there images "IM ASKING YOU TO LAUGH AT ME"
Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 6:47 PM
I wonder if there will be community creators who can work within the chosen style and make it look good. Some unknown talent lurking among the ranks just waiting to shine. (Or am I just throwing down a challenge and trying to be sly about it?)

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#18 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 6:54 PM
I hope for a bodyshop style program. I know we probably won't get it, but no harm in hoping.

In the meantime, I do remember that when TS3 came out there was a special IRC chat here on MTS and modders would discuss things there. A new game like TS4 usually does attract people from the wider gaming community who are not really simmers - they just like taking games apart and figuring out what makes them tick. This is a big help in the early days of a game.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 7:02 PM
Yeah, Rick's still around too. I think he'll want to see what drives it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Yeah, Rick's still around too. I think he'll want to see what drives it.

Oh Rick!! I loved his mods. A trip down memory lane....sighs.

If Rick could do for Sims 4 what he did for Sims 2, I might be tempted, in spite of some of the speculated limitations of the game.
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 7:15 PM
Not that Rick, I don't think.

Inventor
#22 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 8:00 PM
Assuming we'll find a way to access the game files (which I don't doubt), I'll certainly look at how things are done just out of curiosity. I've been dabbling with how I would design a sim like game and the basics came down to traits/characteristics, life goals/priorities, and emotions/mood, so I'm interested in seeing how they implemented it.

Whether or not I'll create actual mods will depend on what others come up with and what I want from the game and don't get or what annoys me and what I want fixed. I think my immediate needs after the game comes out will be a mod so that my gay couple can have babies that are genetically theirs, preferably through male pregnancy with all associated animations/actions. Thankfully, I'm not the only one with that wish, so I don't fear a mod for that will come out soon.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 8:18 PM
I don't want male pregnancy - at least not available by default, because it's not possible. And yet it doesn't bother me when it's aliens...go figure. Maybe if it was associated with a trip to the science laboratory...
Scholar
#24 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Truth be told Ani_, I think Sims 3 could get more entertaining and I can see more mods coming out after the series end. Look at Sims 2, they keep going on and adding to the game. I am still excited to see what creators and modders come up with after there is no more patching and all. Cool beans.

True.I'm already get a lot of mod that I wanted for sims3.Too bad that it show up so late,but better later than never,huh?
Instructor
#25 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 8:26 PM
Considering I've had a little bit of interest in making small mods for myself in my own game for TS2, I think the fact I'll be graduating two months after release, I might be able to do things. This is all depending on where I go to college and work and stuff, but I am pretty excited about it. But like Honeywell, nothing real major will come from me, most likely. I'd probably just remake small mods I liked from TS2 and put them in TS4, or small things I see that bother me in TS4.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Page 1 of 3