Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 12:24 AM
Default I think EA may try to make a Sims movie now...
With the recent success of The Lego Movie, and EA being the money grubbing asses they are, I think they may actually try to license out a Sims movie... If they do try this, it will most likely be complete and utter crap, but there is probably one person in the creative world who could take such an awkward film premise, and both make it good, and embue it with the light hearted insane comedy that most of the games have...

That person would be Dan Harmon, creator of NBC's Community. A show so defined by it's rediculous over the top silly nature, and referencial humor, that I can't stop watching it. (Except Season 4, the year where Harmon left, and managed to be less funny than The Big Bang Theory. It has since been Retconned as the "year of the gas-leak")

If you are unfamiliar with Community, I found a fan video highlighting some of it's silly nature, though to be honest, I have yet to find a video that encapsulates the comedy genius of this show well:
http://youtu.be/dEnFO8hR31Y

So, do you think EA will try to get a movie made based on our game? If so, do you think someone like Harmon could pull it off?

Discuss.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 12:59 AM
Well 20th Century Fox did purchase film rights back in 2007. There was this plan that two kids play the sims and find out they can control people IRL with the game or something. I forgot about that until now actually. There was also a plan for a MySims kids show. I guess that never got off the ground. Honestly, I can't see a sims movie being that good, but then again I thought the lego movie was going to do poorly and it got amazing reviews.
One Minute Ninja'd
#3 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 2:48 AM
Well, if they got Mingham to animate the Scumthorpe saga, I bet they would have a runaway hit on their hands. Imagine Sprog in a 3D IMAX.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 4:18 AM
Did you just diss The Big Bang Theory and Community all in one paragraph? In all my days...

But to each their own, If EA made a The Sims movie the franchise would be ruined for me. Mobile apps, multiplayer features, and now movies? Yeah... No.

❤"Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened"❤"It's okay for you to disagree with me I can't force you to be right"❤"I don't care what anybody says, sleep is my BFF"❤
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 5:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cece15624
Did you just diss The Big Bang Theory and Community all in one paragraph? In all my days...

But to each their own, If EA made a The Sims movie the franchise would be ruined for me. Mobile apps, multiplayer features, and now movies? Yeah... No.

No, just The Big Bang Theory, because if there wasn't a laugh track all those "funny" jokes would look like what they are... Stupid.

I was saying that Dan Harmon is probably the only one who could pull something like this, that would practically be a destined flop, off.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 8:13 AM
"Except Season 4, the year where Harmon left, and managed to be less funny than The Big Bang Theory"

You dissed them both in this sentence. Well I can't say you dissed the whole of Community just season 4, It's my favorite show actually, too bad Pierce (Chevy Chase) will not be returning to season 5.

To quote Pierce one last time...

" I'll show you the tool that's most important to our survival... but fair warning, it's my penis"

P.S, It also isn't a laugh track, they act in front of a live audience.

http://www.mydreamcametrue.com/TheBigBangTheory.html

If you don't want to read it all it here is a quote

"our laughter was recorded using microphones above our heads"

❤"Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened"❤"It's okay for you to disagree with me I can't force you to be right"❤"I don't care what anybody says, sleep is my BFF"❤
Theorist
#7 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 9:59 AM
I think it's a live audience of employees. But the show is entertaining even though you're not going to fall on the floor laughing hysterically hurting your stomach and busting your lungs. There are other shows that have much to envy from big bang - appeal of content, cast chemistry, marketability. But yes, it does have a lot of stupid. Amusing stupid.
Inventor
#8 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 11:24 AM
I think I heard some rumors some years ago about a movie about the Goths, but that could have been bull.

How would a movie about a lifesimulator even work out?
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 12:52 PM
Why? Why? EA!? We make sims films in the community and they probably better than anything you could come up with.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 3:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cece15624
"Except Season 4, the year where Harmon left, and managed to be less funny than The Big Bang Theory"

You dissed them both in this sentence. Well I can't say you dissed the whole of Community just season 4, It's my favorite show actually, too bad Pierce (Chevy Chase) will not be returning to season 5.

Season 5 has been airing (though is on hiatus because of the olympics...) and has been great thusfar. The Harmon stuff is so much funnier than the fourth season, and even the writers recognize it. Hence, the season being Ret-conned as the "Gas-leak season in Season 5's first episode... Also, Chang gave up on the Changnesia thing, and is on house arrest... Except he brought the house arrest sensor to the school somehow, and so has to live at Greendale...

I just don't understand the appeal of Big Bang Theory. It feels like most other sitcoms, aka something that feels like it belongs in the 50's or 60's. Those kind of traditional sitcoms always tread the exact same ground... I swear there are about 50 or so not-so-great stories that have been told a billion times with different characters... Is it that hard to do something creative, or new? I appreciate that Big Bang Theory tries to be relavent to Nerd culture, but it always manages to miss what makes that Nerd culture interesting, or why it is becoming something that more people have been jumping onto...

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I just can't stand that show...
Field Researcher
#11 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 6:48 PM
In middle school, I thought that was a good idea.

But now as a college educated woman, I think it's a bad idea.

vanilla-breyers.tumblr.com
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 9:37 PM
I can only see one other type of the film that EA could make apart from making one about any of the classic sim characters. A documentary film about the creation of the Sims franchise from sims 1 to sims 3.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

Nocturnal Dawn
Field Researcher
#13 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
I think it's a live audience of employees. But the show is entertaining even though you're not going to fall on the floor laughing hysterically hurting your stomach and busting your lungs. There are other shows that have much to envy from big bang - appeal of content, cast chemistry, marketability. But yes, it does have a lot of stupid. Amusing stupid.

No, its a live audience of people, just like the one in the link I posted, you can get them for free but they sell out in 5-10 minutes considering how popular the show is. You can get a guaranteed ticket which guarantee's you into the show or a standby ticket which allows you to go in but it doesn't guarantee anything. They will serve you a slice of pizza while your there and maybe if you're lucky (and fast) you could get an autograph.

No its not the funniest show in the world, but I know for a fact they don't use a laugh track.

Field Researcher
#14 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
Season 5 has been airing (though is on hiatus because of the olympics...) and has been great thusfar. The Harmon stuff is so much funnier than the fourth season, and even the writers recognize it. Hence, the season being Ret-conned as the "Gas-leak season in Season 5's first episode... Also, Chang gave up on the Changnesia thing, and is on house arrest... Except he brought the house arrest sensor to the school somehow, and so has to live at Greendale...

I just don't understand the appeal of Big Bang Theory. It feels like most other sitcoms, aka something that feels like it belongs in the 50's or 60's. Those kind of traditional sitcoms always tread the exact same ground... I swear there are about 50 or so not-so-great stories that have been told a billion times with different characters... Is it that hard to do something creative, or new? I appreciate that Big Bang Theory tries to be relavent to Nerd culture, but it always manages to miss what makes that Nerd culture interesting, or why it is becoming something that more people have been jumping onto...

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I just can't stand that show...

No offence taken to me, everyone has their own opinions and deserves to be heard not judged, I just was stating they don't use a laugh track.

SEASON 5?!?!?!?!?! Ugh why have I not been notified of this, is Chevy Chase still there?! I always do this with my favorite shows considering I almost never watch t.v.... I loved Chang as a teacher... Also wish he was the father of Shirley's kid for some reason.

Inventor
#15 Old 14th Feb 2014 at 11:30 PM
If they do a sims movie, it would have to be about an in-game story and not the game itself. You can control people, woo de doo. Really, I don't think they'd get very far with that.

With the storyline, however, they could expound upon the information given and hopefully make it good. Most video game movies don't go that well, though.
Theorist
#16 Old 15th Feb 2014 at 1:36 AM
A Sims movie is begging for it, or I just want it badly - a single, standalone Sim movie that is about the game itself. The sims begin with a hypothesis that there may be something outside of their life and reality that is messing with them. They begin to try to reach out to the "player" in their own sim ways, but the player is unaware of this. Soon they learn to object to their commands via filibuster objections ( path, desperation, peeing, canceling ), and begin meeting in discreet groups. This gets the player's attention, who creates a sim of themself to persuade sims that resisting player influence is bad for them. Dissent spreads, dividing the sims in their opinions of the player sim, who begins warning of punishment. Then the player sim gets assassinated. Unfortunately, the apocalypse comes and the player burns everyone in a mass fire, except for the ones that had behaved through everything. Look at you murderers! You have killed sims at some point because there is no one to judge you, isn't that right?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 15th Feb 2014 at 3:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xxsoulfire123
If they do a sims movie, it would have to be about an in-game story and not the game itself. You can control people, woo de doo. Really, I don't think they'd get very far with that.

With the storyline, however, they could expound upon the information given and hopefully make it good. Most video game movies don't go that well, though.

Yeah, if they tried to go about a whole controlling people thing, it wouldn't work. That premise isn't fun or lighthearted... It's dark and frightening.

I personally don't want it to happen because of how likely it would suck, but as I said in my OP, I believe if they do attempt it, there are some circumstances that could make it work... Though, having a good Sims movie is probably just as likely as your sim being robbed, abducted by aliens, and getting their fiancee eaten by a cowplant unintentionally at the exact same time...
Mad Poster
#18 Old 15th Feb 2014 at 3:35 AM Last edited by lil bag2 : 25th Mar 2014 at 11:12 PM.
Read the title. First reaction:

Test Subject
#19 Old 15th Feb 2014 at 10:20 PM
If anyone could handle a sims movie I think it would be Dan Harmon, think of the casting he could get a lot of great actors have been in Community as guests and main cast. He already knows a lot about animation as seen in various episodes (Claymation xmas, Greendale babies, ect) and he could bring the right sense of humor to it. And considering how well Lego Movie did and how well it was done ( I just saw it this morning) and the fact that they're already working on a second one I think it would work, as long as it was done well.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 16th Feb 2014 at 6:43 AM
No offense but a movie???? let them concentrate on getting a good game together first. Ideas of flashing money in front of their eyes will blind them into stupid moves.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#21 Old 16th Feb 2014 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NormaJean
No offense but a movie???? let them concentrate on getting a good game together first. Ideas of flashing money in front of their eyes will blind them into stupid moves.

It's not like they care enough to go to Mod the Sims anyways... There's one Guru who occasionally appears here, but he seems pretty down to earth anyways. (Most of the other Guru's probably want to pretend the games are perfect, and so tune out any negative feedback.).

Also, I never said it's a good idea, just that it's a likely possibility knowing EA's "Seek money now, ask questions later" attitude about business... Just trying to open a discussion about the topic, and wanna know if you guys think there is any way it could work...
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 16th Feb 2014 at 12:25 PM
The film would likely be not in the game engine, if it was not live action sims film it would be handed to either Pixar or dreamworks to animate the film. Depending on what style they do it may look nothing like the sims or look like it. I am saying that this is a bad idea for a film but if Lego and bardie can make successful film franchisees then the sims might able to but films based of games have never turned out well or rarely have.

Nocturnal Dawn
One Minute Ninja'd
#23 Old 16th Feb 2014 at 2:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Artimis
The film would likely be not in the game engine, if it was not live action sims film it would be handed to either Pixar or dreamworks to animate the film.

And that would be a shame. Just because we, as heavy players, are tired of horses sticking their head through walls to get into the bathroom to be closer to their owner, doesn't mean the general movie going public wouldn't think it's hysterical. Think of the movie you could make of just all the in game graphical glitches that we see every damn day. Do you think Pixar could ever dream up some of the bizarre stuff we experience thanks to EA's careful beta testing and timely and relevant patch releases?
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 16th Feb 2014 at 6:59 PM
They would be never show the glitches, if they showed it, then EA would be laughed at for making an unstable game and Pixar will be in trouble with EA. but if they make a game showing the glitches then make it funny movie and a hit if done right with jokes espically if they did the best glitch I have seen in sims 3, a laptop taking it self up stairs by itself.

Nocturnal Dawn
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#25 Old 16th Feb 2014 at 7:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Artimis
They would be never show the glitches, if they showed it, then EA would be laughed at for making an unstable game and Pixar will be in trouble with EA. but if they make a game showing the glitches then make it funny movie and a hit if done right with jokes espically if they did the best glitch I have seen in sims 3, a laptop taking it self up stairs by itself.

What about the glitch in 2 where sometimes sink bubble shaders don't disable properly, and you end up with "The Amazing Bubbleman!", aka, a sim with bubbles seemingly coming out their butt...
Page 1 of 2