Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2014 at 12:13 PM Last edited by BubblesO : 15th May 2014 at 12:53 PM.
Default The new UI.
I honestly find the new UI ugly. It has less details and it's shapes and sizes are weird. It looks IN YOUR FACE too much if you ask me. The background wasn't as empty as it is now. And also, what happened to the stage? I loved that stage. The thumbnails are too outstanding than the rest of the UI. It looks very unfinished. I don't find it good looking or appealing in any kind of way. I hope that you'll agree with me. I added some photos so you'd be able to see what I'm talking about.

Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 15th May 2014 at 12:21 PM
I like the new white scheme.
I was sick of the blue scheme to be honest especially The Sims 3 UI.
But I agree that the new build/buy UI looks cluttered and strange...
It doesn't remind me The Sims at all...
But I still have hopes because they change the UI all the time...
Edit: Also I hope they get rid of that bar at the top of the screen...

Check my tumblr:
http://eliasctifler.tumblr.com/
:)
Field Researcher
#3 Old 15th May 2014 at 2:04 PM
Meh, I don't mind the new UI. To me it seems like an evolution of SimCity 2013's interface. Instead of mostly solid white buttons etc, they are translucent white.

Strongly monochromatic UI's are not my favorite, but in this case I think there are bigger issues with the game to worry about.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th May 2014 at 2:08 PM
I have no preference for UI, generally. The theme is consistent, I understand what most of the items there are, it looks good. If it were total crap, I'd have a reason to complain. It's good looking and functional - my opinion is not needed.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Inventor
#5 Old 15th May 2014 at 2:44 PM
It does look clunky and in your face. Is it really necessary to show an ENTIRE kitchen in the UI? >.> I much prefer TS3 UI over TS2 & 1, but this seems like they're expanding it to a silly amount when it is supposed to be as compact and simple to use as possible. It's not something I can have that great of an opinion about until I actually get to use it myself, though, so I won't judge too quickly. :3
Forum Resident
#6 Old 15th May 2014 at 3:26 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 15th May 2014 at 8:30 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Saturnfly
It does look clunky and in your face. Is it really necessary to show an ENTIRE kitchen in the UI? >.> I much prefer TS3 UI over TS2 & 1, but this seems like they're expanding it to a silly amount when it is supposed to be as compact and simple to use as possible. It's not something I can have that great of an opinion about until I actually get to use it myself, though, so I won't judge too quickly. :3

I agree with the clunky bit in regards to buy mode... But then again I think the "room based UI" in 3 is a mess to begin with...

In The Sims 3, I never used the room categorization, despite using it most of the time in 2, simply because it looks like a complete mess, and is about as functional as a computer that requires you to play tic-tac-toe simply to turn it on...

On the other hand, I really appreciate that the green selection highlight from 2 is back. Always thought it looked nice...

Edit: Holy Carp Batman! I didn't even notice the search bar! I've found myself really wanting one lately. Especially in 3...
Test Subject
#7 Old 15th May 2014 at 4:29 PM
Personally, as long as the items are better organized and I can search for what I want, I don't really care. It's not like the UI for build/buy mode are always there or CAS. Now, if the UI during live mode is a mess then I might be upset.
Instructor
#8 Old 15th May 2014 at 5:14 PM
I quite like it. I like the search feature I'm not a big fan of the blue in Sims 3.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th May 2014 at 5:51 PM
I think this part of the UI is fine. I never had any problems with the room design UI even though at first try it was a bit odd but now it's normal. Having EA put in that search bar makes me forgive much in the UI when it comes to build/buy.

What worries me more is the gameplay UI. The ones we saw last year were horrible. But, it's been a year so it can be different now.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th May 2014 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
I think this part of the UI is fine. I never had any problems with the room design UI even though at first try it was a bit odd but now it's normal. Having EA put in that search bar makes me forgive much in the UI when it comes to build/buy.

What worries me more is the gameplay UI. The ones we saw last year were horrible. But, it's been a year so it can be different now.

You're talking about this?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 15th May 2014 at 6:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BubblesO
You're talking about this?

That one exactly. I really do hope it's not like that any more.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th May 2014 at 6:53 PM
That one exactly. I really do hope it's not like that any more.

I honestly find it much more appealing than the white UI...
Field Researcher
#13 Old 15th May 2014 at 7:34 PM
Having EA put in that search bar makes me forgive much in the UI when it comes to build/buy.

Agreed. Whenever I see that search bar, I'm unable to criticize anything near it. Like it shines with some magical aura that melts my heart every time:

Can't remember the last time I was this inspired to chatter nonsense. Who'd say I'd be that happy for a simple search bar .
Field Researcher
#14 Old 15th May 2014 at 8:21 PM
Of course, I don't know, but to me it seems that good old "sort by function" could be under the plain chair icon.

I think the new UI is clear and attractive, what little I have seen of it, and I'm not saying that just because I'm dazzled by the awesomness of the search box. (I am totally dazzled by the search box. EA must have attached the Sims 2 OFB Dazzle interaction on it.)
Field Researcher
#15 Old 15th May 2014 at 8:26 PM
I kind of just think the entire UI in general looks so cartoony and like a phone or facebook game. or a barbie computer game from the 90s.
Alchemist
#16 Old 15th May 2014 at 8:40 PM
Okay, that search bar... I'm sorry, but I do not trust EA very much. I wonder if that search bar is for online shopping at their store. I hate to think so, but I do wonder.
Please tell me it can't be that!
Alchemist
#17 Old 15th May 2014 at 11:47 PM
Is white the new green?

Pre-TS2, the color green wasn't heavily linked to the Sims franchise. The original Sims had different shades of blue with just a touch of green (e.g. loading screen, UI, etc). When the Sims 2 came out, bright greens popped up here and there (e.g. loading screens, EA intro, buttons on the UI). When the Sims 3 came out, they went all out with the green (e.g. DVD case, plumbbobs everywhere, EA intro, UI buttons, CAS buttons, loading screens).

Now in the Sims 4 CAS and Build/Buy Mode previews I see a lot of white where you'd expect blues and greens. Also, why is Bella white?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 15th May 2014 at 11:51 PM
I think the new UI is great. I find it much more attractive than the sims 3's. And i'd hardly call 'it in your face. It's simple and different and has a modern look to it if you ask me.
Theorist
#19 Old 15th May 2014 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tiffyandthewall
I kind of just think the entire UI in general looks so cartoony and like a phone or facebook game. or a barbie computer game from the 90s.

This was my favorite. Holy crap.. I think I still have it.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 16th May 2014 at 12:17 AM
I like the new UI. It's not too distracting like the one in The Sims 3.

HE doesn't need an introduction.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 16th May 2014 at 12:30 AM Last edited by Simmer9000 : 16th May 2014 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Grammatical Mistakes...
Personally I feel like the UI update is cool as something in Star Wars. Hey, it looks Star Wars-Future-designed right? Maybe that's what we need! I'll drink to that search bar though, . It may be a little cluttered and standoffish at first, but with some playing time, I'd get used to it quick. The whole thing feels more organized than the other games prior, which is a plus.

Posting all generations of The Sims, from the first through the foruth.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 16th May 2014 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat

This was my favorite. Holy crap.. I think I still have it.

OMG! I LOVED this game! I used to play it for hours! haha
One Minute Ninja'd
#23 Old 16th May 2014 at 1:53 AM
Personally, I could care less about the aesthetics of the UI, so long as they finally provide some sort of content management right in game instead of through the Launcher or manually though the mods folder like we now suffer with. The Search feature might be nice, but only if all the content is properly tagged. But management right in game, when you can see just how shitty that couch/chair/bed/blouse/hair, or whatever, really is, would be a key feature for me.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 16th May 2014 at 1:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmer9000
Personally I feel like the UI update is cool as something in Star Wars. Hey, it looks Star Wars-Future-designed right? Maybe that's what we need! I'll drink to that search bar though, . It may be a little cluttered and standoffish at first, but with some playing time, I'd get used to it quick. The whole thing feels more organized than the other games prior, which is a plus.

Does anyone else wish there was a confused button on this forum now?

First, Star Wars doesn't take place in the future, it's in the past in a very distant galaxy... Secondly, I see nothing at all in this design that says Star Wars in even the slightest remote way to me...

It's possible you mean Star Trek, but still, I still see absolutely no connection in design...

Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
Is white the new green?

Pre-TS2, the color green wasn't heavily linked to the Sims franchise. The original Sims had different shades of blue with just a touch of green (e.g. loading screen, UI, etc). When the Sims 2 came out, bright greens popped up here and there (e.g. loading screens, EA intro, buttons on the UI). When the Sims 3 came out, they went all out with the green (e.g. DVD case, plumbbobs everywhere, EA intro, UI buttons, CAS buttons, loading screens).

I haven't found the slightest bit of green in The Sims 3 UI... Honestly, the inclusion of green as a highlight in the new UI feels really nice, as well as the Blue to Green CAS background... Assuming they don't change that to a more traditional CAS background... But then again, The Sims 1 CAS background was (while a small box in the UI) a White to Dark Blue background...
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 16th May 2014 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
Does anyone else wish there was a confused button on this forum now?

First, Star Wars doesn't take place in the future, it's in the past in a very distant galaxy... Secondly, I see nothing at all in this design that says Star Wars in even the slightest remote way to me...

It's possible you mean Star Trek, but still, I still see absolutely no connection in design...

Ah, yes, my mistake. In a little OT I had a busy week so pardon me if I get my movies/television references confused and totally forget to consult my brain before making a forum post. How about modern looking? Let's go with that. It looks modern, more contemporary than others prior. Search bar is nice, etc., etc.

Apologies to you parrot999, and others to my stupidity, but let's face it, I'm only human.

Posting all generations of The Sims, from the first through the foruth.
Page 1 of 2