Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2014 at 2:26 AM
Default WTF Russia
They have an 18+ rating just because you can make Sims gay?? I know there were some LGBT issues back in Sochi for the Olympics (which was also dumb), but come on! And it's not like homosexuality is going to "brainwash our children"; back when I was 8 and I got Sims 2, I didn't even know you could make Sims gay in the first place XD
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 16th May 2014 at 2:28 AM
I would say I wouldn't put anything past Russia, but the way other countries *cough* Uganda *cough* have been behaving, I think I'm just losing faith in humanity, in general....

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 16th May 2014 at 2:42 AM
I think Russia's LGBT issues are not just limited to sochi and sims. And while it's obviously not the whole of Russia their leaders are criminalizing the LGBT community.

But at the end of the day it's just a game.
Scholar
#4 Old 16th May 2014 at 3:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mr_Valentine90
But at the end of the day it's just a game.

I feel like that could be looked at two ways... Why would Russia be freaking out and slapping the 18+ label over the "oh-so-evil-and-awful-gayze" if it's just a game. Y'know...?

Scholar
#5 Old 16th May 2014 at 6:33 AM
Everything is wrong with Russia,from now on. That they added sims 4 into +18 category is the smallest issue.....Putin have to be putted down
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th May 2014 at 9:43 AM
I imagine the demonisation of gays in Russia is more to do with distracting people from examining what the political classes are up to than it is to do with anything else. There's a special circle of Hell waiting for Putin and his cronies.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#7 Old 16th May 2014 at 9:47 AM
This is quite a big issue in Russia and has brought a lot of harm to the lgbt community sadly, people there are very oppressed and cannot be open about their sexuality due to the anti gay legislation that was imposed by their government. It has led to many violent groups to target the lgbt community and use means of physical violence against them, some cases end with death so yeah it's a lot more serious than some May think.

It's not surprising why they went with that rating, in fact I'm more surprised that they even allow this game there In the first place.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 16th May 2014 at 10:36 AM
So what? EA will sell fewer copies in Russia. Works for me.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th May 2014 at 11:23 AM
Hmm...I don't know what is going on in Russia but this post was in another thread and I can't help thinking if this is propaganda or really the way things are in Russia? I have read reports that it's dangerous to be openly gay but...

Quote: Originally posted by ProdigyBombay
Pls stop bashing Russia >_<,
Russia is NOT as homophobic as the media tells you, I live here and I have a couple of gay friends, they live happy lives, they DO hold hands and kiss in public without other people attacking them....

What's the real story?

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#10 Old 16th May 2014 at 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Hmm...I don't know what is going on in Russia but this post was in another thread and I can't help thinking if this is propaganda or really the way things are in Russia? I have read reports that it's dangerous to be openly gay but...

What's the real story?

All Russians aren't homophobes, far from it but it's not a gay friendly country with all the extremists having so much power now. But then there's a lot of homophobic tendencies in other part of Europe as well. My country (Sweden) is not excluded from that even if it's way easier to homosexual here than most other places. Hateful and ignorant people exist everywhere. The big difference is how the government act in this issue.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th May 2014 at 11:36 AM
I didn't mean to say that all Russians are homophobes, that would be silly to think that. Just as you said the extremist now can be cruel openly without any charges against their actions, such as assaults, right? According to that post I quoted, that is not the case, as it is in Uganda.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#12 Old 16th May 2014 at 11:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I didn't mean to say that all Russians are homophobes, that would be silly to think that. Just as you said the extremist now can be cruel openly without any charges against their actions, such as assaults, right? According to that post I quoted, that is not the case, as it is in Uganda.

Russia (and other countries as well) may not officially claim that homosexuals should be punished for their lifestyle but that is what's happening to a lot of people. The government, the police etc don't take the threats seriously even tho a lot of people have been attacked and seriously injured. They pretty much treat it as the victims must have done something to provoke the attack themselves, even tho that's not the case.
Scholar
#13 Old 17th May 2014 at 11:48 PM
Russia isn't perfect on LGBTQ issues, but neither is the US. Not that one makes the other ok, but its we're not the most LGBTQ friendly country either, what with random states outlawing gay marriage just because they feel like it.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#14 Old 17th May 2014 at 11:58 PM
The problem with Russia is that the government is encouraging and supporting the extremists. Lets not forget that about a year ago, a 14 yearold boy was kidnapped, tortured and murdered for supposedly being gay, and the police didn't even bother to investigate, because who cares what happens to a poofter? Homophobes are allowed to assault and kill people they think might be gay or not cisgender; the police don't care and are often complicit; and the government has passed legislation making it a criminal offence to even tell under 18s that gay people exist, or to do anything in a public place which acknowledges the fact that there are same sex couples, because doing so would corrupt children and turn them gay.

I would much much rather live in a place where I'm not allowed to marry, than in one where I risk assault or imprisonment for going out in public with my girlfriend, or for allowing any rumours to start that I have one, or would like to have one.

Luckily, I live in a country where neither of those things is true. But really... I know that rating TS4 as 18+ is one of the more farcical elements of the Russian government's current campaign of hate and violence (along with the Sochi police claiming that there are no gay people in Sochi, and everyone in the gay bars is an undercover police officer on the lookout for any real gay people to arrest), but it's nowhere near the most serious or insane element.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
One Minute Ninja'd
#15 Old 18th May 2014 at 2:13 AM Last edited by eskie227 : 18th May 2014 at 2:20 AM. Reason: typo
Huh. There is a recent case of a woman in the Sudan who had a Muslim father, but Christian mother, and chose to marry a Christian, and she has been sentenced to death for apostasy and marrying a non-Muslim (well, death for apostasy in renouncing Islam, and 100 lashes for the marriage thing). (link to CNN http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/15/world...?iref=allsearch) Not to denigrate in any way the outrage at the wave of homophobic legislation being generated in Russia right now, but there are countries with extremist views that make Russia seem downright welcoming. I wonder what the Sudan will label TS4 as (as though it would even be offered for official sale there)?

Not an excuse for bigotry of any kind, but bigotry takes many forms, and some is quite mind boggling to imagine living in a society where diversity is, if not embraced, at least not criminalized. Although I think there might be one or two US States left that have century old sodomy laws still on the books, so there still is room for improvement. Besides, heterosexuals can potentially run afoul of those laws as well, and I have no idea when the last case was ever prosecuted.
Instructor
#16 Old 18th May 2014 at 8:23 AM
Russia Becoming More Dominant
Russia has been getting more and more out there. With everything happening with Syria, Iran, invading Ukraine, and their internal political struggles it's becoming a little unnerving and not something to be ignored.

I really don't feel it is the western media spreading false propaganda, I think it's reality and the truth being discovered. For once, I feel our media is being honest and trying to inform the public as to what is occurring. Furthermore, I'm certain there is a sort of counter-program that Russia is using to spread distrust, disinterest, and ignorance regarding what is going on from media outlets; a similar thing happened with Syria, especially on social media outlets.

I'm honestly very concerned.
Scholar
#17 Old 18th May 2014 at 9:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by James009
Russia has been getting more and more out there. With everything happening with Syria, Iran, invading Ukraine, and their internal political struggles it's becoming a little unnerving and not something to be ignored.

I really don't feel it is the western media spreading false propaganda, I think it's reality and the truth being discovered. For once, I feel our media is being honest and trying to inform the public as to what is occurring. Furthermore, I'm certain there is a sort of counter-program that Russia is using to spread distrust, disinterest, and ignorance regarding what is going on from media outlets; a similar thing happened with Syria, especially on social media outlets.

I'm honestly very concerned.

Yes it is.Russia won't stop if somebody don't stop it. And I'm very concerned too, cuz my country was in SSRS lineup. If they are trying to "retrieve lost states" this means that Lithuania and othert Baltic republics are in danger too. In facebook already is formed group that will support Putin actions in my country.Thats scary
Mad Poster
#18 Old 18th May 2014 at 10:02 AM
Well, look on the bright side, they didn't ban it altogether. They have been quite ruthless in stopping previous open gay propaganda.
Scholar
#19 Old 18th May 2014 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Well, look on the bright side, they didn't ban it altogether.

Oh, yes we should all be so very gracious... I really don't think the fact that Russia could potentially be even more homophobic should be a reason for us to accept the injustice occurring there. Yes, of course it could be worse, it can always be worse, but hell is going to freeze over before I accept, much less thank them, because they could be behaving more unethical.

That's just the "Middle Ground" logical fallacy....

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th May 2014 at 4:41 PM
Isn't it sick how sexual orientation is still that much of a controversial topic? I hate this world sometimes.
Scholar
#21 Old 18th May 2014 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by colazocker13
Isn't it sick how sexual orientation is still that much of a controversial topic? I hate this world sometimes.

We live in a world where there's still extreme gender inequality in some countries. It'll be centuries before this world reaches full equality...

Mad Poster
#22 Old 18th May 2014 at 5:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
Oh, yes we should all be so very gracious... I really don't think the fact that Russia could potentially be even more homophobic should be a reason for us to accept the injustice occurring there. Yes, of course it could be worse, it can always be worse, but hell is going to freeze over before I accept, much less thank them, because they could be behaving more unethical.

That's just the "Middle Ground" logical fallacy....

The problem with ethical behaviour and values is that they are continuously evolving to suit people's current beliefs and needs. I am sure Russian citizens will change their legislation when they will feel the need and are ready for it whether you approve/accept it or not.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 18th May 2014 at 5:44 PM
I feel like that could be looked at two ways... Why would Russia be freaking out and slapping the 18+ label over the "oh-so-evil-and-awful-gayze" if it's just a game. Y'know...?

Yes I completely agree with what you said and I was going to add something similar, but at the time my brain wasn't working right and I couldn't think of a sentence that made sense.

It's all completely ridiculous!
Field Researcher
#24 Old 18th May 2014 at 6:47 PM
We live in a world where there's still extreme gender inequality in some countries. It'll be centuries before this world reaches full equality...

I like your optimism.
Instructor
#25 Old 18th May 2014 at 11:07 PM
The Disagreer
Heh, anyone notice how there is one person who has disagreed with each post about whats going on in Russia? I'd like to hear their opinion on all of this. I'd really like to understand it from their perspective.
Page 1 of 2