Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 4:47 AM Last edited by OpelSpeedster : 7th Jul 2015 at 3:34 AM.
Default Any city-themed apartment lots you know that you'd recommend?
I'm currently creating a city neighbourhood, as I feel we don't have quite enough of them - which also doubles as a desert 'hood, because why not? But I'm a terrible builder, so I'm confined to using others' lots. Since this is a city, I need apartments that resemble buildings - not necessarily skyscrapers, mind you, but they need to have a downtown feel. Maxis' pre-made apartments are cool, but most look a lot like houses, so they don't really fit in.

Could anyone recommend me a list of apartments that fit in the city theme and that do not use custom content? I don't mind if it heavily uses a lot of expansion packs as I have the Ultimate Collection, but since I intend to share this neighbourhood, I'll probably want to avoid requiring every single EP and SP there is, so please identify if a lot requires too many of these packs. And apartments which use elevators are even better, despite requiring OFB.

And, naturally, apartments which don't cost a fortune are a priority over those whom only Mortimer Goth could ever afford.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 7:44 AM
You'll have to ask permission, of course, to use others' lots.

That said, Zarathustra's lots are amazing and never use custom content. But they do use all the SPs and EPs. I don't see how you can get around that when you're building it in UC.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 5:02 PM
Well, I was going to add in a disclaimer giving credit to all lots that aren't mine, of course, but if I need to ask for permission first... Ah welp.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Test Subject
#4 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 6:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OpelSpeedster
Well, I was going to add in a disclaimer giving credit to all lots that aren't mine, of course, but if I need to ask for permission first... Ah welp.

Thanks for the suggestion.

If you are open to the idea of building for yourself, check out apartment for rents' site. Some of the listings will have a floorplan and picture of their apartments. You can get lots of ideas on creating your own plan in UC. That way you can control the content. I use online floor plans to inspire my builds. I especially like online floor plan websites, you can search by what style of house or building you want.
Theorist
#5 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 8:30 PM
If you've done a Lot search for apartments, then my two should have come up. They are Eldorado Court and Concrete Apts #02. They're both meant to be used in downtowns.

They both meet your requirements (NoCC, elevators, etc.), although I do have all EPs and SPs. That doesn't necessarily mean I used objects from all expansions, because I just don't keep track of that stuff.

You can feel free to use any of my Lots any way you want, including using them in uploaded 'hoods. That's the whole point for us Lot builders, that players use our Lots. It's nice to get a link back to our uploads, of course.

Eldorado Court is one of my more popular Lots and I will be updating it in the not-too-distant future. The update is actually done, I just need to stop procrastinating and do a little testing. It will have an improved layout with quiet bedrooms (no noise from neighbors) and better common area amenities.

I'm also working on at least two additional apartment Lots in the Eldorado style that are in various stages of completion.
I'm not trying to toot my own horn, I'm trying to encourage myself to get on with it and finish them.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 9:03 PM
I wish there was some also for people who like to torture their sims. Nevermind the custom content or the lack of it - if you'd just see my downloads folder you'd understand little extra doesn't change anything anymore. But it sucks when sims that are starting out suddenly have free hot tubs and electronics everywhere. Takes so much effort to first download building that is gorgeous outside and then furnish and decorate all the common rooms over again so sims won't have free wide screen television when they are still barely making 800 per week and struggling on lowest levels of their career. I have long life span and some of my young sims really have to work hard to get anywhere and I honestly don't want them to get to have too much fun.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 9:03 PM
Well, some people may have policies that say whether they care if you reshare their lots or not. Kinda sleepy when I posted yesterday, sorry. Other people might in general say it's not okay to reshare but they might give permission for a special project like this one--there's a difference, I think, in re-uploading a lot on your own website that someone else made and using it as part of an entire neighborhood.

If you're wanting to upload your finished neighborhood on a sims site, you might ask the moderators of the site you intend to submit it to what they'd want to see. If I were you, I'd much rather dash off half a dozen pms and emails at the beginning of such a project than at the end! I know MTS has particular rules for neighborhood uploads but I can't say that I've ever read them.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Scholar
#8 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 9:27 PM
I am not a good builder either, but I am getting better. What helped me was finding real life blueprints and trying to copy those as closely as possible.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 4:24 AM
Well... sorry if changing a topic's subject is not allowed, but I've now managed to finish the residential downtown area of the city, thanks to all the lots I managed to download. However, the city has three areas, and for the second, I'll need the community lots that are present on the infamous Downtown neighbourhood from Nightlife: restaurants, dance clubs, spas, etc. Unfortunately, it seems nobody has had the idea to make such lots that look good in city neighbourhoods and that don't require a surplus of CC. Bummer.

Again, could anyone identify me some lots that could do the job(again, without CC)? I'd build some myself, but trust me, when I say I'm a terrible builder, I mean it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 4:53 AM
I have a run down apartment up for download https://www.modthesims.info/d/501683 you may not need anything like this though.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#11 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 10:07 AM
Phaenoh's Downtown Apartment lot would, I think, be well suited for what you're after. I don't believe the few CC things are strictly required. I do remember the lot needs a decent PC to run smoothly though.

And I do have to also recommend Rob's lots he mentioned earlier. I personally prefer his concrete apartments but both that and Eldorado Court are wonderful lots. I've placed both in my city area and they compliment the setting perfectly.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Alchemist
#12 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 11:49 AM
I have a cleaned up apartment fron BellaDonna Cove has hardly any cc http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=519863
And another I have at Sims fans only 2 cc in it http://www.simfansuk.com/sims/downl...partments-1911/
Triciamanly also made one with no cc, not using apartmentlife http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=488109 I converted it for her http://www.simfansuk.com/sims/downl...-using-al-1497/

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 2:43 PM
joandsarah, that's a pretty nice impoverished apartment! I might include it in a poorer area of the second region.

Snufflepaws, I have already downloaded her lot. It looks really nice, and yeah I can agree it requires a good computer, it lagged a lot on mine.

ekrubynaffit, triciamanly's apartment is very beautiful indeed! I'm definitely going to add your AL version of it into the second region.
Scholar
#14 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 2:48 PM
Please upload your hood if you can when you are done. I've been wanting a custom Downtown hood too!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 6:07 PM Last edited by OpelSpeedster : 7th Jul 2015 at 12:06 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by SciBirg
Please upload your hood if you can when you are done. I've been wanting a custom Downtown hood too!

Don't worry, I will. I've been intending to upload it here from the beginning anyway. It will come in four types;

Type 1: Simless Main - A main neighbourhood with no sims, simple as that.
Type 2: Populated Main - A main neighbourhood too, but this one will have Sims in it.
Type 3: Simless Downtown - A neighbourhood you'll be able to assign as a downtown, but with no sims, just like the Maxis Downtown.
Type 4: Populated Downtown - Self-explanatory. Hopefully you can do this like Maxis did with Bluewater Village without causing corruption.

However, the main problem I have is that, when designing it, I had a Custom Pollination Technician mod installed. This may force users to install that mod to prevent corruption/use the hood at all, and might render Types 3 and 4 outright unusable. Is it possible to upload the neighbourhood without those pollinators so users don't need to install the mod?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 10:39 PM
I don't mind my apartment being used so long as a credit is given and your hood is uploaded for free. No pay sites. You also need permission (or an open TOU) from every single creators lot you use.

They will only allow upload of clean safe hoods on here. AGS with only cc needed in the hood is the best way.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 12:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I don't mind my apartment being used so long as a credit is given and your hood is uploaded for free. No pay sites. You also need permission (or an open TOU) from every single creators lot you use.

They will only allow upload of clean safe hoods on here. AGS with only cc needed in the hood is the best way.

It would take a long time to get the permission for all these lots... I was planning to make a list detailing all the lots I used and their respective creators, and in fact already made such list in the form of a credits.txt file in the neighbourhood folder. Couldn't this suffice?
Scholar
#18 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 12:49 AM
Opel, most creators on MTS will have a policy you can read and most say no problem as long as credit is given and it's not uploaded to a paysite.
So it's not that hard.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 7th Jul 2015 at 3:33 AM
Ah, good to know.

Still, as I mentioned before, I realized I forgot to take out my multi-Pollination Technician mod before creating the neighbourhood, and now it has custom PTs in it. I don't want to force downloaders to install the mod just so they can run the city, so I need to find a way to either confine these technicians into the city(which may cause problems if it's assigned as a downtown lot) or remove them outright without corrupting it(which may be impossible).

Since I'm going into full-blown thread-jacking territory, it's better to continue the discussion here and have a moderator/administrator close this one as it's already answered.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 12:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I have a run down apartment up for download http://www.modthesims.info/d/501683 you may not need anything like this though.

I had to get it; but it says requires "9 SPs", so I expect something will be missing...

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 1:17 AM
I tick all the boxes asking what EP's were used as I have all EP's and SP's. As to what the lot actually contains I believe most in that lot is base game and there is no SP's stuff at all- but I can never be sure. I can't remember what came with what EP or SP as I've had them all for years. You do of course need M&G as that is the game engine I build on. Did the bubble blower come with uni or nightlife or something else? No clue.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#22 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 1:28 AM
the bubble blower did come with uni, one of the frats has one pre-placed
Scholar
#23 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 1:46 AM
The bubble blower came with Uni, but will probably just leave an empty space where it should be without Uni; there's Downtown lots that came with NL that have Uni stuff if the player has Uni installed as well as NL, but empty spaces otherwise (or in strange combinations if there's a strange combination of expansions -- as I think we both remember, Jo). And I've just downloaded the hostel, because I love dingy-city buildings (that's why I was looking at this thread in the first place!) and I've lived in places like that -- I'd be the kid banging away on the piano at odd hours!
Mad Poster
#24 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 12:31 PM
Thanks; I have all that so everything will be OK?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 12:37 PM
If I somehow used an sp piece, perhaps the tires outside are from teen stuff? It simply doesn't show up, it doesn't hurt anything.

~Call me Jo~