Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 6:55 PM
Default i thinking about buying this
computer. can you guys tell me if its good to play sims and all? like the graphic card and all.
the link to the computer.

Additional Features and Specifications:

System Bus: 677MHz
Cache Memory: 1MB
Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950; up to 224MB shared video memory; PCI-Express (PCI e x 16) slot available for upgrade
Video Memory: Up to 224MB
Audio: 5.1 high definition audio
Speakers: Stereo; 6-channel 5.0 high definition audio
Modem: 56K ITU V. 92 fax / modem
Network Interface: 10/100 Mbps built-in Ethernet LAN
External Ports: 6 USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 rear); VGA, parallel port; serial port; 2 PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse); RJ-45 Ethernet port; RJ-11 modem port; audio ports: 2 audio (front): microphone, front headphone (stereo); 3 audio (rear)line-in (stereo), speakers/headphone (stereo), microphone
Keyboard: Elite Multimedia keyboard
Mouse: USB optical 2-button wheel mouse
Weight: 23.4 lbs.
Power Supply: 300 watt (internal to desktop)
Case: Classic system design with brushed silver faceplate
Measures approx. 15.50"L x 7.25"W x 16.50"H
Weighs approx. 23.4 lbs.
Model #GT5672E
Comes with a manufacturer's 1-year limited warranty
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 7:02 PM
That's not a good graphics card - it's not even a card. It's an integrated chip. You need a real graphics card in there, and the power supply it's got in it now will not be sufficient for upgrading to a real graphics card unless you upgrade that too - which means you'd need to spend probably about $100 on a power supply and at least that on a graphics card to upgrade it later. You're also only upgradeable to 2 gigs of RAM, which is the max you could use under XP, but Vista can use more, so I would look for something that you can upgrade to at least 2 gigs of RAM and has some slots free (that one comes with both slots filled so you have to discard the old RAM and buy two new gig sticks if you want to upgrade that, and then you're maxed out).

It's a decent system, but honestly, I would look for something a little more upgradeable, and with a decent graphics card already in it, with a power supply capable of handling it (at least 450w)

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 8:21 PM
ok.
thanks for the help. im going to look at other places now.
EDIT:
i found another one. can someone tell me if this on is ok?
the computer.
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Jan 2008 at 4:40 PM
That graphics is actually onboard too not a real card, but it along with the computer as a whole is much better than the other one. If it came with a real card I'd say that'd be a good one but you have the same problems with expanding that one's graphics as you did the other. What is your price range? Do you really need to buy a monitor too?

ETa: you can go to hp.com and go here: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s... and multimedia

Click "customize and buy" orange button next to "Base configuration $749.99"

CHANGE THE FOLLOWING:
graphics card: FREE UPGRADE! 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400, DVI-I, VGA adapter, HDMI
monitor (way down): HP 19-inch LCD Wide Flat Panel Monitor
$849.99

That's if you really gotta have that 19" LCD. Otherwise you can do better. That graphics card should at least play TS2 ok and if you decide you later on down the line you want better performance the power supply shouldn't need upgrading since in theory HP already provided an ok one to work with the 8400 card. I'm having trouble finding exactly what they are using though.