Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Community Spirit contest! - posted on 11th Apr 2017 at 6:33 PM
Replies: 12 (Who?), Viewed: 4569 times. | You are currently not a member of this group. Would you like to join it now?
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 3:53 AM
Default Builders- do you download other builder's lots?
I was recently in the Creator Feedback Forums and two members were discussing that they do not download other builder's lots, since they build themselves. I do download lots by others. I often don't play with them, but I like to see a lot I admire up close. Pictures don't show all the details. Sometimes I take a build apart to see how the builder created something. I have one neighborhood where I have downloaded a bunch of homes from builders I admire, and populated it with people's avatars. It's a fun place to visit. So the question is: Do you download other builder's lots?

Things have been quiet here since some members departed, but I hope we can still be an active group. We have a new member, Vincent T. who has recently had her first download here at MTS. Welcome and congratulations!
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 9:51 AM
I'm too lazy for that. I don't play either if it's not for playtesting, so if I do it's not going to be used for anything. I did a very long time ago download SheHeeTee's insane creation and wanted to see how it handeled weather, so I guess saying I don't isn't right ... but still it's a long time ago.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 9:58 AM
Definitely - even if it is only for taking it apart as you do :-) While I build a lot myself, there are limitations on my build skill and style, so I enjoy other people's builds as they bring variety and new ideas into my game (and lots of awesomeness). That neighbourhood of your's sounds like a lot of fun :-D

Thank you for your kind welcome words!

Find me on tumblr: Nornities
Want to know where I hide? My creative corner
Need help building? Click Here
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 3:09 AM
Vincent T. - Totally agree about the awesomeness that other builds add to the game.

Volvenom- I think you mean Tee Hee She. I love her crazy, twisty, complicated builds.
Did I ever mention that my dad's parents were born in Norway? and that I speak about 6 words of Norwegian? You remind me so much of friends and other Norwegian and Norwegian-American people I knew growing up.
Please don't let my vast Norwegian language skills intimidate you non-native English speakers.

I have taken apart several of Crowkeeper's builds and I still can't figure out how she does it.
dodgy builder
#5 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 4:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attuned
Vincent T. - Totally agree about the awesomeness that other builds add to the game.

Volvenom- I think you mean Tee Hee She. I love her crazy, twisty, complicated builds.
Did I ever mention that my dad's parents were born in Norway? and that I speak about 6 words of Norwegian? You remind me so much of friends and other Norwegian and Norwegian-American people I knew growing up.
Please don't let my vast Norwegian language skills intimidate you non-native English speakers.

I have taken apart several of Crowkeeper's builds and I still can't figure out how she does it.

Ha! I got that name all mixed up Congrats on your six words I have relatives in the us, and I visited one family in Washington state near Seattle some years ago.

Welcome Vincent. Nice buildings, and you know some cfe as well
Destroyer of Worlds
staff: administrator
#6 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 8:41 PM
I don't often download other people's homes, or sims. For me, it comes down to the build style/aesthetic. There are some things I can't build or don't like to build (like modern stuff or huge fancy mansions). When I'm in need of one of those for a story or something, I'll go looking but I also tend to be extremely picky. I don't download anything with sims3packs attached, I don't download anything that's got custom content out the wazoo, etc. I do sometimes like to take stuff apart like you mentioned. Things that I am perfectly capable of building myself I usually do. There are a few builders though that I really enjoy downloading from: @Buckley @alverdine @cutsocks and, of course, @Tee Hee She as well as a few users on tumblr that always produce quality builds.

TLDR: I wouldn't say all builders never download lots, just that we tend to be more picky about it.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Sep 2016 at 1:46 AM Last edited by attuned : 3rd Sep 2016 at 2:07 AM.
New goal: work hard enough and live long enough to be on heaven's short list of builders...

Edit to add: Welcome heaven, and please feel free to join us anytime!
Instructor
#8 Old 4th Sep 2016 at 10:11 AM
(Oh, I made heaven's shortlist! )

I rarely download lots, but when I do they are often for closer looks. I'm probably like a lot of builders where I don't "play" the game much. Much of my playing is testing my own builds. But when i do play the game, I will download lots that are useful and fit a theme (like the excellent art deco/retro lots of @Floraflora2 ) and where i couldn't do better myself.

I also don't upload many lots. I usually only upload those that I've done an interesting build technique/solution, something that most others would not build themselves, or just something I'm insanely proud of (for whatever reason). Even if other builders don't download, I like to think of my lots as being informative and inspirational. I know many other builders' lots are informative and inspirational to me.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 1:23 PM
I download lots and keep them in my neighborhood. I also make lots. I just have them there and put sims in them that I don't play with. It makes the neighborhood more like all my other sims that I make.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 5th Nov 2016 at 1:08 AM
Sure I do. While I really like building lots ... especially community lots ... sometimes, I like how someone else made a lot better than my efforts at the time. And yes ... doing so does help me learn to be a better builder myself. What about these lots appealed to me? Can I replicate what appealed to me in my future lots? This doesn't mean reinventing the wheel, though. If a creator made a great lot ... the creator made a great lot. Use it, give credit, enjoy it!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 5th Nov 2016 at 10:13 PM
I usually download lots I really like to increase a number of the downloads to support the builder, but I installed just a very few. I agree that one simply has to look at Tee Hee Shee's lots in game. She is the Queen of CFE.

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 6:39 AM
I do download other builders lots.... sometimes, if only for unique walls that I spotted in their screen shots.... I try to occasionally upload walls and floors that I've made for other builders... sometimes, they just want the walls/floors...
Test Subject
#13 Old 17th Feb 2017 at 5:16 PM
OF Course, it can make my thought and Neighborhood different. And make building with some their technique too.
building lot and sharing lots it like Research, who can complete each other ^_^
But me, more download lot than create then appreciate their hard work :D