Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Part-time Hermit
#301 Old 22nd Jun 2007 at 2:15 PM
baron311, did you actually try following this tutorial? If so, which part did you have trouble understanding? People will have an easier time helping you if you tell exactly what you're having problems with, after you've tried it yourself first.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#302 Old 7th Jul 2007 at 11:03 PM
so, does the tutorial suits for the new version of SimPE?
Test Subject
#303 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 7:15 AM
I can't get past step two either (I've already read the post by the other person, I downloaded v 0.05). Maybe you're using a different version of SimPE? For me, the filter is a seperate window on the right. it has these four bars: "Group:", "Instance", "Recol Name", and "Semiglobal Group". Under "Group", I put GroupID 0x7FC82329. I left the "Instance" and "Recol Name" bars empty. And the for the "Semiglobal Groub" bar, you aren't allowed to type in anything. You can only chose from what they have provided. Maybe I can find it if you just tell me the name of the actual file. Please help me, I think the tutorial looks great, and I need to make a career because I can't find any that meet my requirements. Thanks.

Btw, what version of SimPE are you using? I'm using V 0.62.1.100.

-Captainheroe
Test Subject
#304 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 9:38 AM
Default thank you
for this great turorial, without it i would never have been able to bring my career creation abilities to the stage they are now. my first custom career is soon to be released.
Test Subject
#305 Old 16th Oct 2007 at 1:05 AM
how do you open the actual file onto word? i downloaded it but it was a ".rar" file and it wouldn't open onto word
Test Subject
#306 Old 17th Oct 2007 at 4:20 PM
Sorry, i have a problem.
I dont speak good english. ^^
And I cant download the file from the first page! How has got a german tutorial?

HELP!
Test Subject
#307 Old 10th May 2008 at 6:13 PM
I just want to change the uniform of the athletic career to a workoutfit from the base game does anyone know how.
Test Subject
#308 Old 11th Jul 2008 at 5:21 PM
When it you are first making the template you have to open package.xml, but my SimPE says its unable to read past the end of the stream. I don't know what that means but it doesn't work.
Lab Assistant
#309 Old 23rd Aug 2008 at 1:38 PM
Default Almost finished making my career...but I'm a bit stuck
I used this tutorial to create my custom Career because I was unable to use Bidou's career editor. I have loaded the game and tested the career and have noticed a few errors:

1. When sims use the custom reward I created they earn 5 simoleans every 3 seconds!

2. My custom icon is not showing with custom reward object. I used this tutorial http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=218281 to link the object to the career. Have I missed something out? I read something somewhere about extracting the object after I cloned it. I didn't extract anything so could this be the cause of the problem?

3. I tested the career again and removed the career object from my downloads folder. Now it doesn't show up in the game. Is this problem linked to the above? If the object is linked to the career will there be no need for it to be in my downloads folder? I'm so not getting this part, because when I download custom careers i do not need to download additional career objects.

4. The skills required for each level are showing up a level early. Ie. if level 1 requires 1 body skill and level 2 requires 1 body and 1 creativity, the latter is what will show up for level 1. This format follows through all job levels: level 3 shows up as level 2 and so on.

5. Because I din't use Bidous Career editor I'm not sure if this will display all language. When I typed eack string I copied to all. Will the languages show up now?

I am at the last stages of getting this career completed and have put a lot of effort to make sure it is of a high enough standard to be posted on MTS2. I really don't want to fall at the last hurdle so any help to sort out these last few problems would be greatly appreciated.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#310 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 11:07 AM
Is there a particular reason why you can't use the career editor? It does save a lot of pain, and this tutorial really is very old now.

1. What is you custom reward, and what is it supposed to do? Did you code it yourself?

2. Is your custom icon showing up in all the other places correctly?

3. You need both the career and the custom object in your downloads directory. Most likely if you've downloaded other careers before which didn't require additional downloads, they're just using objects which are already in-game as career rewards.

4. You've probably got the levels in the wrong box. That's one of the things that Bidou's editor makes a lot easier.

5. It will show up for all languages, but there are nicer ways to do it than copying text to all languages. The "Default String Only" button works better if you really only want one language in your career.

Putting effort into your work is definitely a good move, and I applaud your efforts! :D
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#311 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 1:31 PM
There was a bug crept into the career editor with a recent release, which resulted in an unnecessary error message popping up when some careers were loaded. There is a fix now in the latest QA. Everyone is welcome to join the QA group and get the very latest version.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#312 Old 28th Aug 2008 at 11:06 AM
Echo, the career reward I used was the podium form the lawyer career. I cloned it and gave it a new GUID.

The custom icon does show up as the career icon, but not in the career rewards panel with the career reward. I haven't done a full test of the job; just testing the chance cards are all there and work days and time are showing up correctly.

I'm quite sure the skills are set at the right level but I will DL the latest version of the career editor and see where I get from there.

Thank you guys for your help.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#313 Old 30th Aug 2008 at 11:13 AM
Well if the object works differently to the way it normally does with just a guid change, then it's probably self-referencing. Try this?
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=127742
Test Subject
#314 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 12:23 AM
How do I edit the default careers in sims 2 and its expansion packs?
Top Secret Researcher
#315 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 7:59 AM
You need to go to SimPE and open up the object workshop. Go into 'other' (I think!)and find a custom career, then just clone that and use it as your base!
Instructor
#316 Old 31st Jan 2009 at 8:18 PM Last edited by morten8035 : 31st Jan 2009 at 8:36 PM.
Where can I download Maxis default careers.

EDIT:
Found them.

EDIT:
When trying to remove a level I getting a error:

Unauthorized incoming post!
Field Researcher
#317 Old 26th Apr 2009 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coko
I used this tutorial to create my custom Career because I was unable to use Bidou's career editor. I have loaded the game and tested the career and have noticed a few errors:

1. When sims use the custom reward I created they earn 5 simoleans every 3 seconds!

2. My custom icon is not showing with custom reward object. I used this tutorial http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=218281 to link the object to the career. Have I missed something out? I read something somewhere about extracting the object after I cloned it. I didn't extract anything so could this be the cause of the problem?

3. I tested the career again and removed the career object from my downloads folder. Now it doesn't show up in the game. Is this problem linked to the above? If the object is linked to the career will there be no need for it to be in my downloads folder? I'm so not getting this part, because when I download custom careers i do not need to download additional career objects.

4. The skills required for each level are showing up a level early. Ie. if level 1 requires 1 body skill and level 2 requires 1 body and 1 creativity, the latter is what will show up for level 1. This format follows through all job levels: level 3 shows up as level 2 and so on.

5. Because I din't use Bidous Career editor I'm not sure if this will display all language. When I typed eack string I copied to all. Will the languages show up now?

I am at the last stages of getting this career completed and have put a lot of effort to make sure it is of a high enough standard to be posted on MTS2. I really don't want to fall at the last hurdle so any help to sort out these last few problems would be greatly appreciated.

4.if level 1 the sim requires 1 body and level 2 requires 1 body and 1 creative
1 skill point= 100 , 4 skill point = 400
lv1: Skill Req - Body
0x1 Dec = 100

lv2: Skill Req - Body
0x1 Dec = 100
0x2 Dec = 100(still 1 point)
Skill Req - Creativity
0x1 Dec = (blank)
0x2 Dec = 100(need 1 point)
Test Subject
#318 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 12:43 AM
i don't get this!!!!! I wrote the whole tepmlate well, I've read this from sapphire sims and it says you open this career package but I don't have it where is it? Can you please help me! xoxoxx Brittany<3 :] please reply A.S.A.P I've been doing this for 10 hours trying to figure this out!!!!!
Test Subject
#319 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 5:31 PM Last edited by Tarante11a : 21st Jul 2009 at 7:42 PM.
[Hello there - I'm having a wierd problem with my custom career creation. Everything was going fine and I've nearly finished except I would like to change the Name Reference in SimPE. The trouble is I seem to have lost my Plugin View so I can't seem to edit anything anymore. Is there a way I can do this without Plugin View?

I have already given my career a new GUID - is that why I can't edit it?

Sorry if I'm being an idiot by the way - there is so much information to sift through to find answers that sometimes I miss things.

Many thanks for your help in advance! ]

After some searching and farting around I found a "reset layout" button which has sorted everything out - sorry for being a numpty folks!
Test Subject
#320 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 6:43 PM Last edited by xxoxxAmixxoxx : 21st Jul 2009 at 7:23 PM.
Erm... I most likely missed something vital out in a tutorial somewhere. (I'm not using Bidou's career creater) So... how can I attatch my custom Icon onto the career? (I used a template so it already has another picture... but its no good.) And links to tutorials or advice would be greatly appreciated! (Its probably REALLY simple too.) *+* Sorry! But my PC jumped to the end of this before I could see the tutorial. I read it and it was Very helpful. Thanks! Basically, I no longer need help*+*
Test Subject
#321 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 8:02 PM Last edited by Tarante11a : 21st Jul 2009 at 8:31 PM.
Hello again folks - I hope you can help me.

I'm using Bidou's Career Creator and I'm just nearing the completion of my first career. I've followed all the instructions I could find but in testing my career, my chance cards haven't over-written the base career you have to have to make Bidou's work (it's the Science Career). I've got a new GUID from registering with the SimPE website.

However, the group ID doesn't seem to have changed - it's still 0x7F7201DA which is the Science one. Not sure if this is the problem or not.

If anyone can help me I'd be most grateful - I've looked here and on the SimPE website and I can't find a solution.

Many thanks

[just to let you know that I've now followed Superfly's tutorial for getting the Group ID right and making the career EP ready (although I now have '110' and '92' next to the All Res and Behaviour Constant *sighs* but we'll see]

But I still haven't got the chance cards working - any ideas?
Lab Assistant
#322 Old 15th Oct 2009 at 5:35 AM
Default It doesnt work?
So this doesnt work anymore? :O Thats bad I want to make my own jobs... Like hookers and stuffs xD
Test Subject
#323 Old 2nd Nov 2009 at 9:52 AM
Hi, I can't find any info on this. I can't get more than 10 career levels to work in the game. I added an 11th level, but it dosent appear in the game or even in the chance card tester cheat. I've look every where. Can anyone help? I'm trying to make a custom Entertainment career.
Test Subject
#324 Old 19th Mar 2010 at 10:42 PM
HOW DO YOU EVEN GET THE FILE?
idk.
Test Subject
#325 Old 5th May 2011 at 2:47 AM
Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.
Page 13 of 14