Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 11:46 AM
German Let's Plays made with love (well, and sarcasm)
Hey guys,

I've been playing the Sims 3 now for over eight years, and I feel like I love the game even more now than when I started. But still, at some point I was looking for new challenges, new goals I could achieve.
And that was when my youtube channel was born. Currently I am playing two different LPs, one is about growing a lot of bad apples (for this gastronomy opportunity - never managed to beat that before >.<), and the other one is about my Sim having 20 grandchildren.

I know this is an english forum, and so far I'm only doing german stuff, but I hope that in the future I'll also be brave enough to make english content!
Also there may be people here who are actually german like myself, want to learn german or already speak it!

I'm thankful for every piece of advice and of course I would love to hear if you like my content. I love doing those videos, but after some weeks it gets a bit... lonely with no interaction at all
And I gotta admit, so far I was to shy to tell anyone but my boyfriend and my brother about this project of mine.

So, I'll stop rambling now and just give you the link to my newest video (Part 8, bad apple challenge) and underneath you'll find the link to my channel. Thank you for your time!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzpV3FXgrks

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8...NqaqLgQasAkg0hA
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 12:01 PM
Hey I'll take a look. I love sarcasm and I really ought to learn some German as well.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 12:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Hey I'll take a look. I love sarcasm and I really ought to learn some German as well.

Very cool of you! I hope I'm not wasting your time Did you already start learning german?
Instructor
#4 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 7:34 PM
I'll pop in too, I've been learning German through Duolingo so it'll be good to see how much I actually understand without the pre-fabricated sentence constraints like 'Ein Mann trinkt Wasser/Apfelsaft/Kaffee' and hear some real world German Especially since I once got a sentence on Duolingo about birds reading the newspaper. O.o
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orose
I'll pop in too, I've been learning German through Duolingo so it'll be good to see how much I actually understand without the pre-fabricated sentence constraints like 'Ein Mann trinkt Wasser/Apfelsaft/Kaffee' and hear some real world German Especially since I once got a sentence on Duolingo about birds reading the newspaper. O.o

Nice! I love Duolingo xD I'm learning spanish with it and the sentences are so hilarious... "The crab is drinking milk"
Instructor
#6 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 12:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Alice1994
Nice! I love Duolingo xD I'm learning spanish with it and the sentences are so hilarious... "The crab is drinking milk"

Ahahaha, wow. Maybe he's trying to build a strong... shell? Whatever the outside of a crab is called, anyway :D

I'm learning Spanish on there as well and today I got 'the cat cooks a mouse' so... yeah.

But hey, I watched your first video from the Faulapfelbaum challenge and thought it was a lot of fun. I didn't understand a ton, but as I kept watching I got the gist of more of it, whether from context or having spent too much of my life on this game. Besides, screaming at the game when the camera jerks away as the school mascot and time portal arrive are universally understandable

I use these two tweaks in my game so that the mascot and portal still arrive but my camera doesn't jerk away to show them:
No Mascot Camera Zoom http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=590518
No Time Portal Camera Zoom http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=590519

Question: Is there any specific challenge page for the bad apple tree challenge? I searched but couldn't find anything.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 10:38 AM Last edited by Alice1994 : 13th Jan 2018 at 11:15 AM.
Ahahaha, wow. Maybe he's trying to build a strong... shell? Whatever the outside of a crab is called, anyway :D

I'm learning Spanish on there as well and today I got 'the cat cooks a mouse' so... yeah.

But hey, I watched your first video from the Faulapfelbaum challenge and thought it was a lot of fun. I didn't understand a ton, but as I kept watching I got the gist of more of it, whether from context or having spent too much of my life on this game. Besides, screaming at the game when the camera jerks away as the school mascot and time portal arrive are universally understandable

I use these two tweaks in my game so that the mascot and portal still arrive but my camera doesn't jerk away to show them:
No Mascot Camera Zoom http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=590518
No Time Portal Camera Zoom http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=590519

Question: Is there any specific challenge page for the bad apple tree challenge? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thank you! I'm instantly installing those two badasses to my game! It's nice to hear that you understand a bit of the video! I'm actually thinking about doing some videos in english, just to get some practice in speaking. Would watch something like that, too? I'm getting a bit nervous when I think about it, but I'd really like to...

As for the bad apple challenge, it's not really a challenge, but there is actually an opportunity belonging to the gastronomy challenge, I believe it's called "A tad bit batty" where you're given a bad apple and required to somehow return with ten of them. I've tried to solve this multiple times, but if you just plant the apple, the tree will turn out as normal usually... so the only solution I could think of was using the omni plant. And THEN I'm still gonna grow a bad apple tree, just for the sake of it :D
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 8:10 PM
Fellow german here, I totally understand being nervous when having to speak English "in public" That said I think we are always are our worst critics, there's tons of non-native speakers doing english videos and as long as you can understand it most viewers don't seem to mind. So I hope you can gather your courage eventually, bigger audience and such!

I never heard of this opportunity, even after playing for so many years. I can't leave comments because I don't have YT account but I'll tune in!

Ha, I just started learning Korean on Duolingo. No milk drinking crabs yet but maybe that'll come later.
Instructor
#9 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 9:10 PM
Thank you! I'm instantly installing those two badasses to my game! It's nice to hear that you understand a bit of the video! I'm actually thinking about doing some videos in english, just to get some practice in speaking. Would watch something like that, too? I'm getting a bit nervous when I think about it, but I'd really like to...

As for the bad apple challenge, it's not really a challenge, but there is actually an opportunity belonging to the gastronomy challenge, I believe it's called "A tad bit batty" where you're given a bad apple and required to somehow return with ten of them. I've tried to solve this multiple times, but if you just plant the apple, the tree will turn out as normal usually... so the only solution I could think of was using the omni plant. And THEN I'm still gonna grow a bad apple tree, just for the sake of it :D

My pleasure! Those two mods made my life so much easier :D

To answer your question, yeah, I'd definitely watch them in English! I'm going to keep watching the German ones too, because it was actually really fun to listen close and try to see how much I could understand of it.

And honestly, your English is very good. One of my best friends is from Germany (she moved here a few years ago when she got married) and I have this theory that people who aren't native English speakers end up speaking English better than native speakers, because you guys learn 'proper' English and don't pick up bad habits like those of us who grew up speaking the language and have a shaky relationship with the grammar rules. Also, English is just really bad German, or vice versa, she and I never did figure out which came first when we looked into it, but the languages are similar enough that it makes learning one or the other a bit easier, so I say go for it! You could even do a series of short videos (like little tour videos for various sim worlds or something, or mini challenge vids) if you're more comfortable starting small.

That would explain why I couldn't find anything about a challenge. Sounds tough because I can't think of a good way to grow terrible produce. The only other option I could think of is if you have the science station from university life and could clone the bad apples.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 13th Jan 2018 at 9:43 PM
Did you already start learning german?

Yes and no. My parents both speak a good bit of German, so I've gotten bits of German cinema/comedy/music here and there, and I tried Duolingo for a while, but ultimately my German is still very poor. I can understand it reasonably well, though. Being Dutch helps.
Oder, ich verstehe Deutsch, aber ich spreche das jetzt nicht so gut

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 12:45 PM
Hey guys, I gotta say I just LOVE how supportive you all are. That's an entirely different experience compared to some german forums...

@Nocriel:
You're probably right! I think my written english is pretty decent and I comfortable with it, but speaking makes me soooo nervous. But I will do it. Maybe even today May I ask why you decided to learn Korean? It's pretty interesting, but you don't hear that so often.
I come across this opportunity pretty often, because the gastronomy career is my absolute favorite, followed by science.

@orose:
You're so supportive, thank you! I think I'm gonna go and make a video this evening. Maybe I will show a little bit of my neighbourhood. That's gonna be fun I really think it is much easier to learn english than to learn another language when your native language is english, just because we are surrounded by it. I hear and see english every day and that probably makes it a lot easier. I often think how sorry I am for people who don't speak english because they miss so many cool things! I also can't watch english series in german now, it sounds sooo stupid when you know how the original voices sound.

As for the idea with the science station, I thought about that, too, but it's a bit risky. You get only one bad apple to start with, and most of the time my science station just destroys it :D

@GrijzePilion:
Dutch is such a cool language! There are a few languages on my list of what I wanna learn in my life, and dutch is definitely on it! I can say exactly one sentence: "Roken is dodelijk" xDDD
Mad Poster
#12 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 12:54 PM
I can say exactly one sentence: "Roken is dodelijk" xDDD

And you read it on a pack of smokes...interesting way to pick up a language, but certainly better than following some boring course. The best way to learn a language is to dive right into it. Like most people, I picked up my English through movies, TV and video games. Can you recommend a TV programme or a YouTube channel that I could dive into?

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 1:11 PM
And you read it on a pack of smokes...interesting way to pick up a language, but certainly better than following some boring course. The best way to learn a language is to dive right into it. Like most people, I picked up my English through movies, TV and video games. Can you recommend a TV programme or a YouTube channel that I could dive into?

Hm... that's a hard question. Most of the german series feel like they were made for "old" people. There is good stuff out there, you just have to find it xD A german series I loved when I was younger is "Türkisch für Anfänger" (turkish for beginners). It was a huge success I think, because now they've made 3 cinema movies (is that even a word?xD) out of it. They feature the same actors, but a different storyline. I like the series because it's incredibly fun (at least to me) and the episodes are only 20 minutes long. The first 2 seasons are the best I think. I don't know if you'll like it, but if you want to try you can watch it on netflix. It's probably been made for teenagers, but I still find it very entertaining. The movies are fun, too.

There's also a german series called "Dark" on Netflix. It' said to be very good, but I haven't watched it myself.

If I can think of something else, I'll tell you! Also, I will now go and check out the Plumbit Subreddit, it sounds awesome :D
Mad Poster
#14 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 1:22 PM
There's also a german series called "Dark" on Netflix. It' said to be very good, but I haven't watched it myself.
If I can think of something else, I'll tell you! Also, I will now go and check out the Plumbit Subreddit, it sounds awesome :D

I've seen bits of Dark...didn't like it. It's not very German at all. It's more like every other Stranger Things-style show, there's nothing really unique about it.
As for Plumbit, don't bother. It's dead.

insert signature here
Instructor
#15 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 10:43 PM
@orose:
You're so supportive, thank you! I think I'm gonna go and make a video this evening. Maybe I will show a little bit of my neighbourhood. That's gonna be fun I really think it is much easier to learn english than to learn another language when your native language is english, just because we are surrounded by it. I hear and see english every day and that probably makes it a lot easier. I often think how sorry I am for people who don't speak english because they miss so many cool things! I also can't watch english series in german now, it sounds sooo stupid when you know how the original voices sound.

As for the idea with the science station, I thought about that, too, but it's a bit risky. You get only one bad apple to start with, and most of the time my science station just destroys it :D

Can't wait to see it!
I have such mixed feelings about English, lol. While I like [and greatly benefit from] the fact that it's one of the prevailing languages of the world, I hate how anglo-centric everything is in the states. In some places people act like English is all you ever need to know, and most high school language programs aren't the greatest. I finished two years of high school spanish knowing how to ask where the bathroom and the grocery store are, and I've honestly learned way more in a few months of on and off use of duolingo. Plus the rules for English are kind of inconsistent, lol. I dunno, I'm rambling.
tl;dr Learning languages is a good thing. :D

I'm testing some theories on the science cloning thing now in one of my saves. Mostly I'm trying to find out how cloning from samples works because like you, I'd be afraid to lose the one piece of fruit, haha.

Oh, I was meaning to ask you, where did that glass pattern/texture that you used in the greenhouse tutorial come from? Is it actually transparent or is it just an opaque light blue swatch?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 11:30 PM
@orose
Sorry for the late answer, somehow I completely missed out on those two latest answers!
I can imagine that it's quite hard to find the motivation to learn a foreign language when you're native one is already english. Good thing absolutely noone wants to learn german, so I'm kinda forced to do something so I won't miss out on all the good stuff!

The Greenhouse: That's just a light blue carpet, I wanted to do the tutorial completely cc-free. There is actually a glass-roof at simszoo, but the problem is, as you can only have one roof colour per lot, the roof of your sim's house will be out of glass, too... You could work with these transparent rugs, but then you can't shape the roof the way I do it in the tutorial... This is so tricky :D
Instructor
#17 Old 19th Jan 2018 at 6:23 AM
@Alice1994 No worries! I've been known to do that too

I think I've seen the glass roof CC, but didn't download it for the reasons you mentioned. I've also seen a glass flooring item which might be somewhat useful, provided I can remember what I was going to do with it, lol. I think my plan was to do a second story and use CFE to make it very short, then add glass floors to the second floor and the pieces from the store greenhouse set on the roof? IDK, I'll have to see if I can remember how it worked I need a greenhouse that actually keeps the weather out, too. I usually end up planting everything on the grass rugs from into the future so I can just move them inside during winter.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 12:28 AM
So I just made an english video O.o
It's about two TSR greenhouse build sets and I'm actually scared someone will watch it and listen to me speaking english It took me two attempts to record this because the first time I was so nervous I was stuttering all the time... xD But I think the second one is decent.

I'd like to start a series of videos called "My CC favourites" where I show some of my favourite custom content. You can find the new video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pECuXo-RgAg

I can't believe I just did this! It's really out there for everyone to watch. I would loooove to get some feedback from you guys!
Mad Poster
#19 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 12:55 AM
That was great, honestly. I personally keep having to rerecord all my commentary because I always sound really bored and/or tired but you do a better job in 2 takes than I do in 3.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 1:02 AM
That was great, honestly. I personally keep having to rerecord all my commentary because I always sound really bored and/or tired but you do a better job in 2 takes than I do in 3.

That's so sweet, thank you. I thought long and hard about uploading this, but in the end it's never gonna be perfect and if I try again and again it's never gonna happen. So I try to embrace all the 'unperfection' and tell myself that that's just how I sound. xD
Instructor
#21 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 1:21 AM
Your English is really good, don't overthink it. Besides, a video that's got a few imperfections is more relatable and a lot more fun, imo. We all get tripped up talking and curse our games out when they do dumb things like autoroofing or camera jumps, it makes it feel authentic, like you're just hanging out with a friend playing the sims :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 24th Jan 2018 at 1:26 AM
Your English is really good, don't overthink it. Besides, a video that's got a few imperfections is more relatable and a lot more fun, imo. We all get tripped up talking and curse our games out when they do dumb things like autoroofing or camera jumps, it makes it feel authentic, like you're just hanging out with a friend playing the sims :D

That's true! Thank you for your support, it really helps so much! I was smiling over my whole face when I read your comment :D
Instructor
#23 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 3:19 AM
@Alice1994 I'm back! And with only moderate success on the windows thing, lol. I should have remembered that CFE doesn't affect floors. I ended up with a wonderfully sloped roof and a flat sheet of glass balanced on top of it D:

However, I did figure out the window combination:

It's Asarina's 37 degree 3 tile windows that we were talking about, and for the sides, the foundation window end and middle from this modular set .

et voila! Although I really dislike that strip of green above the triangle windows. Wish I knew how to mesh or that I understood the reasons why transparent build mode flooring hasn't been developed yet.

The greenhouse on the right was just me playing around with the build sets you linked, haha.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 10:22 PM
@Alice1994 I'm back! And with only moderate success on the windows thing, lol. I should have remembered that CFE doesn't affect floors. I ended up with a wonderfully sloped roof and a flat sheet of glass balanced on top of it D:

However, I did figure out the window combination:

It's Asarina's 37 degree 3 tile windows that we were talking about, and for the sides, the foundation window end and middle from this modular set .

et voila! Although I really dislike that strip of green above the triangle windows. Wish I knew how to mesh or that I understood the reasons why transparent build mode flooring hasn't been developed yet.

The greenhouse on the right was just me playing around with the build sets you linked, haha.

That's awesome, I'm gonna get those windows immediately... I get your problem with the green strip, though. There's gotta be a solution to this... Omg this just became a life task :D
Instructor
#25 Old 25th Jan 2018 at 11:28 PM Last edited by orose : 26th Jan 2018 at 1:38 AM.
That's awesome, I'm gonna get those windows immediately... I get your problem with the green strip, though. There's gotta be a solution to this... Omg this just became a life task :D

Seriously right? Like.... am I really willing to spend even more hours trying to make the perfect greenhouse in an 8 year old computer game?

...sadly the answer is absolutely.

I wonder if I cfe'd the angle differently.... *wanders off to boot up the game*

EDIT: OMG I THINK I MAY HAVE IT. Go down 5 steps with each cfe leveling, and then use the 45 degree windows. gonna have to rework the side windows though..

I had to paint the floor edges black because the angle doesn't match up perfectly and could see the edges through the window. 5-5-4 might work better for the steps as I think about it because it's just ever so slightly off. And I'm OCD enough to be concerned about that.
I cannot find a foundation window short enough to fit so now there's a small green strip on the sides :D
Page 1 of 2