Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 11:47 PM
is it done? if it is where do i get it ? because i am sooooooooooooooooo pro-blender its so much better than milkshape or whatever.
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#27 Old 9th Feb 2010 at 11:52 PM Last edited by cmomoney : 10th Feb 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ertt95
is it done? if it is where do i get it ? because i am sooooooooooooooooo pro-blender its so much better than milkshape or whatever.

No, it's not done. But you can test it. It's on post #1

ETA: Just to clarify, all the groups are there, and in their respective datablocks (by name), but their actual object names are the same.

This pic shows the group00 datablock, with the object named group03.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#28 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 8:10 AM
Ahhh, I see what you mean. Just loaded the building again and there it was. ME fine, OB not so good Back to the code then.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 5:33 PM
Further info. I loaded the Building into Milkshape, exported it as a Wavefront .obj and imported that into Blender. I did exactly the same as my Blender import script in that it named all the ME correctly, but assigned all the OB as just one name. It looks to be random, since in my script it looks to select the last groupname (group27) as the OB name, but in the .obj import it the OB as group22. I'm still investigating, although I have made some changes to slim down the script a bit.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#30 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 6:05 PM
I imported a bed with four groups;
as .obj:
ME -> OB
group00 = group00
group01 = group01
group02 = group02
group03 = group03

with the importer script:
ME -> OB
group00 = group03
group01 = group03
group02 = group03
group03 = group03

You have to select the object for the name to change (if you didn't already know).

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 9:42 PM Last edited by Ceixari : 10th Feb 2010 at 11:05 PM.
I've removed the last attachment and created a new attachment to the first post of this topic. I'll replace that one with a new one as we go along and keep some version history going.

After cmomoney's tests and me going and relooking at the code I decided to scrap that hack of the .obj import and write a new clean small script. It's now 6kb instead of 36kb, but I have to point out that it only loads the verts and faces, because I wanted to make sure that the groups loaded correctly rather than how it did with the last script. I've run it through sofas, ovens, cars and garden gnomes and it seems to load the groupings much better now.

Another obvious change is that there's no other popup after selecting the import file as it's not really necessary. If people require some extras later I can work on it, but for now it would go on the wishlist.

I'll work on the UV next.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#32 Old 10th Feb 2010 at 10:06 PM
Tested. All groups loaded correctly, and very quilckly.

Awesome.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 6:09 PM
Oh my goshhhhh, I love you guys SO MUCH right now. I can't wait for this to be completed.

You are AWESOME.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#34 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 11:16 AM
Struggling a bit with the UV, not because I don't know what to do, but because Python is weird.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#35 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 12:45 PM
Which version of blender do you have, Ceixari? I'm using 2.46 and for me the import doesn't seem to work at all (the script loads, but the import does nothing) – does it require a newer version?

Or is this an OS/filename issue, perhaps? I'm on OS X, and I already know that for some reason blender can't import textures when they're named exactly like S3PE spits them out ("S3_00B2D882_00000000_41D5382F1562C12E_defaultBlackSpecula_0x05314cdb2011373e%%+_IMG.png") – when I shorten the filename (I usually cut off a more or less random amount at the end), it works. But no amount of truncating or changing the filename seems to work for s3ascg import .. does it perhaps rely on a part of the filename that blender/OS X can't read? Or that gets truncated during export from S3PE (note how it says "Specula" there, not "Specular" – all of my s3ascg files are named like "S3_01D10F34_00010000_34A0A22309BB4DC8%%+MLOD_group00.s3ascg"; I have no idea whether there's anything missing there)?

This is OS X 10.5.8; I'm exporting with s3pe_0912-13-1729 and converting with S3ModlD V1.01 under WinXP.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#36 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 1:06 PM
I'm pretty sure he's using 2.49, because the 0.1 version of the script had a warning about your version being older than 2.49. I upgraded to make sure the problem I was having with the groups wasn't a version issue.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#37 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 1:35 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 13th Feb 2010 at 1:50 PM.
Tried with blender-2.49b-OSX-10.5-py2.5-intel, still no dice. blender seems to find the script itself just fine (the option is there and it also directs me to the source when I check Help > Scripts), but nothing happens when I try to import.

I have no idea how blender behaves under Windows: can you import a texture with a name like above? If you can and I can't, then it could really be something to do with the filename I think. The only reserved character under OS X is : though, so it would have to be the OS X version of blender that somehow doesn't like these names.

ETA: looked at the texture filename problem a bit closer – seems like there's a character limit as to what blender (my version at least) can use to address files with. See schreenshots below. I don't know if the s3ascg import tries to use strings that are even remotely this long, but I guess it's a possibility.
Screenshots

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#38 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 1:57 PM
It might be how the directory structure works. I'll have a look around to see if there is something I should consider.

Yes, I'm on 2.49.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#39 Old 13th Feb 2010 at 4:32 PM
I have that problem with textures, but not s3ascg.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#40 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 6:50 AM
Error ID 10T!

It does work! Sorry! Nevermind!

The problem was just that I didn't realise where scripts *actually* need to go under OS X, which is:

blender.app/Contents/MacOS/.blender/scripts/

That, and the fact that I appear to have a "Milkshape Ascii" script for some reason, and thought that must be yours since I had never noticed it before .. that's what wasn't working. *facepalm* Sorry.

I haven't tested very excessively yet, just quickly confirmed that it's working. Provided the user puts it somewhere where blender can see it. =P

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#41 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 8:26 AM
Nice, I'll include that directory in the instructions. Thanks
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#42 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 2:57 PM
Here's how to unhide invisible directories under OS X (otherwise people will not see the ".blender" folder):

Open Terminal and type

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles true (+ hit enter)
killall Finder (+ hit enter)

To hide them again:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles false (+ hit enter)
killall Finder (+ hit enter)

The latter is important … OS X is basically Unix, so when everything is unhidden so the user can trash it if they don't pay attention, things can go very wrong =).

I don't know if there is perhaps a more userland way of installing plugins for blender .. it seems like there should be, since poking around in the innards of apps and opening invisible directories is not something the user should normally do. I bet there is a shiny button somewhere in blender and I just don't know it.

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#43 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 3:35 PM
Under user preferences -> file paths you can change the default file path for scripts, but I've never used it.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#44 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 9:19 PM
Apologies for the big gap between. I've been reading loads of python information and checked other scripts. Not all of it made sense, but it does look like the UV code is now in and looks okay. My main target (except of course importing a proper mesh) is to write as simple and clean a script for future maintenance.

I would really appreciate a quite check to see if the UV looks okay for you and whether it is workable.

The new script is loaded at the top. Thanks
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#45 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 10:40 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 17th Feb 2010 at 10:52 PM.
The attachment in post #1 is named "0.1.1", is that already the updated one?

e: hm it does say "0.1.2" in the source .. so I'll just assume it is =)

e2: just quickly tested one EA object, the uv seems to be top-down:

I've imported this before (the milkshape > obj way); I don't remember looking at the original UV but I haven't seen top-down ones before.

I'll test a little more .. will be right back.
Screenshots

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#46 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 10:48 PM
When I put it in the scripts folder, Blender opens and then crashes. It ran correctly from the Text editor.

Also the UVs are flipped:

obj

s3ascg

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#47 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 11:03 PM
Sorry about that, mind is a bit fuzzy at the moment The file should be 0.1.2.

I'l have a look at the flipping. The crash seems strange as I'm just running the script from the script folder, but I will check it in any case.

Thank you both for having a look at this so quickly.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#48 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 11:22 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 17th Feb 2010 at 11:44 PM.
This one seems a little busted: it's the "Victorian Curtain" from the Base Game – once imported from an .obj, once with your script.

I'm attaching the .blend file in case it helps you to figure out what exactly is wrong. Layers 1 and 3 have the one imported from s3ascg, layer 2 is from the obj.

e: also attaching the files i imported, for reference (0000.zip)

I haven't found any other problematic ones.

Do you have any recommendations what to test with? I checked a table, a chair, some lamps; all of them EA objects.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  s3ascgimport-test_viccurtain.blend.zip (99.4 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  0000.zip (57.3 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#49 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 7:16 AM Last edited by Ceixari : 18th Feb 2010 at 7:26 AM.
I had a quick look this morning by selecting a random thing I previously exported to see how the vertices and faces looked like and it too, unfortunately, looks busted. It is the CarUsed1. So back to debugging. At least it's better than just the two points we had earlier

I did however load this script from the .script folder, not using the editor. Cmomoney, do you have the full python installed?

Plasticbox, just the one you found that was wrong is great since it gives my a good one to test and debug with. Since the others seem to be okay so far I can look inside the .s3ascg files to see whether their UV strings has any obvious difference as a start.
Screenshots
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#50 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 7:53 AM
I tried it again and it worked from the script folder. Must have been something I did :P

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Page 2 of 10