Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 10:28 AM Last edited by Anwnn : 24th Jun 2016 at 9:23 PM. Reason: It works now ! Thank you
Default Resolved - TestingCheats : Can't Shift Click
Hi,

I'm sorry if something similar has been reported already, I couldn't find anything when I searched it but maybe I missed it ?

Well, I have an issue in my game with Testingcheats, I enabled it in my game folder but I have the feeling it's just half-working ? What I mean is, I can do a bunch of cheats like move objects, SetQP, etc, and I can drag my sims motives as I want, but I can't do anything that requires shift clicking on a sim. I can, though, shift - right click on a sim to make them active/inactive.

I honestly have no idea of why, and since I didn't find anyone with the same issue, I'm guessing I did something wrong somewhere but can't figure what.

I have some mods, Grim's core and CC ( hair, mostly ), but I tried to take everything away already and it changes nothing. I'm on Windows 10, and my game runs through Origin, so I changed Commands.ini in my Origin Games folder.

If someone have any clue of why it's doing this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Ps : English isn't my native language, so I'm really sorry if I'm not clear enough
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anwnn
Hi,

I'm sorry if something similar has been reported already, I couldn't find anything when I searched it but maybe I missed it ?

Well, I have an issue in my game with Testingcheats, I enabled it in my game folder but I have the feeling it's just half-working ? What I mean is, I can do a bunch of cheats like move objects, SetQP, etc, and I can drag my sims motives as I want, but I can't do anything that requires shift clicking on a sim. I can, though, shift - right click on a sim to make them active/inactive.

I honestly have no idea of why, and since I didn't find anyone with the same issue, I'm guessing I did something wrong somewhere but can't figure what.

I have some mods, Grim's core and CC ( hair, mostly ), but I tried to take everything away already and it changes nothing. I'm on Windows 10, and my game runs through Origin, so I changed Commands.ini in my Origin Games folder.

If someone have any clue of why it's doing this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Ps : English isn't my native language, so I'm really sorry if I'm not clear enough

In what manner are you shift clicking? Do you hold down the shift key, then left click on a sim, or are you pressing the shift key then immediately releasing it, after pressing the left click button on your mouse? I suggest you hold down the shift key first then left click your mouse, simply because nothing whatsoever can occur in game mode by simply pressing the shift key alone, and by pressing and holding down the shift key first, ensures your keyboard can receive the command.
How old is your keyboard, and what condition are the keys in? Keys that are slammed on (hit hard) tend to lose their responsiveness to pressing, or if they are old and well used. Your keyboard is not wireless correct? If not, fine, but I would still make sure the cord is securely attatched to the computer, and its plug pushed in tightly to make sure its receiving proper power.
Nothing else strikes my mind as to what might be the cause of your issue other than it could be a compatibility issue with Windows 10. I often encounter people having compatibility issues using Windows 10, the spying operating system. It could possibly be Origin as well, as they seem to enjoy making all the rules, and hate it when a gamer refuses to follow them, as they are smart enough to play using their own standards.
If you have more information you are able to add to your thread, that you think might be extra detail that is in more depth, perhaps we can nail down the cause of the problem, so please add it, if you can.

Good Luck for now.

Xeny

Quote:
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 4:23 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply,

I tried all kind of ways to shift click, I even tried doing ctrl shift click, or alt shift click to it to see if something happened, but without any success. My keyboard isn't the problem here, because I can do the " shift + right click ", but not with left click. The mouse itself shouldn't be problematic either since I'm perfectly able to use it's left click in game.

Also, I noticed that when I shift click on a sim, it says " Aucune interaction disponible ", which is the french for " No interaction available " ( I don't know how the game says it in english ). I am not able to shift-click the ground to teleport either, nor building on any lot ( Carl's Guide says you can do this while clicking the ground ).

When you change the command for Testing Cheats from 0 to 1, do you have to do anything else in game to make it function ? Am I missing another mod that gives the ability to shift click on sims ?

It would be a pain if it was Origin that causes that, but, I find it weird that no one else would have that issue ?

I'm sorry I can't think of something else that could help to know what the problem is.. But if you have any question, I'll try my best to answer it.

Thanks
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 12:37 AM
do yall happen to have windows 10 by chance??
Field Researcher
#5 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyEllesmere
do yall happen to have windows 10 by chance??

@LadyEllesmere

Yes, the questioner has Windows 10, which she mentions almost immediately in her statements. I also in my response mentioned she may have an incompatibility issue due that she is using Windows 10. If you have information concerning this problem for Windows 10 users, it would be generous of you to share it here, don't you think?

@Anwnn No, there is nothing else to add to merely have testingcheatsenabled to work, however it would be wise to return to the page you edited from 0 to 1, to ensure it remains at 1, and that the computer or Origin did not change it back to 0. If your permissions are set correctly, having you as administrator when you edited the page, then there is nothing more to change or add. I suppose it might be possible the set up might be different for Windows 10, but if it is, I find that ridiculous. Lets hope LadyEllesmere has some helpful information for you.

Xeny

Quote:
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 4:03 AM
Hi,

I checked in the file just to be sure, but it still says TestingCheatsEnabled=1. I guessed it would be the case since I can use move objects on/off or drag my sims' motives, but it was worth trying anyway.
Alas for me, I think LadyEllesmere's question refers more to her issue than to mine, and I'll leave a message to her in her own thread if no one beats me to it.
I'll keep trying to understand what could cause TestingCheats to just half work for me, but I'm starting to think I'll just have to deal with it..

Also, not really relevant to the bug but, I'm a guy.

Thanks for your time
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 5:04 AM
I guessed it would be the case since I can use move objects on/off or drag my sims' motives

Correct. There's not a general issue with running TSM on Windows 10, it runs fine, and there's not any additional steps you need to take to enable cheats.

I have some mods, Grim's core and CC ( hair, mostly ), but I tried to take everything away already and it changes nothing

Was that the same kingdom you already had while the mods were installed? If so, start a new kingdom instead and see how it goes. If it works, then put the mods back and start a new kingdom again and see if it still works. If it does, then the issue is isolated to your original kingdom and not your game as a whole.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 10:26 AM
Hi,

I did what you said, started a whole new Kingdom while no mods were installed, picked a predetermined Sim for the King and tried to shift click him : No success.

So at least now I know it's neither my old Kingdom nor my mods, but the game itself that causes the problem..

Unless I missed something while removing the mods ? Or did something wrong.

I took out from it :

The " Mods " folder
Resource.cfg
d3dx9_31.dll

And I also deleted the cache files from My Documents folder

Is there something else that I need to get rid of ?

Thanks for your time
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 1:39 PM
Hm, that's interesting. Can you try and put your "Saves" folder (My Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims Medieval > Saves) into a ZIP-archive and attach it to a reply here? I'd like a chance to investigate what's going wrong.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 2:25 PM Last edited by Anwnn : 22nd Mar 2020 at 9:41 AM.
Hi,

I don't really know if you'll be able to find anything with that, but in any case, I'm grateful that you're trying to help me.

I tried to attach it but I'm not sure how well it's working ? Also, it's a .RAR, I hope it will still be ok ? If it's not, tell me and I'll try to download Winzip.

Thanks
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 7:21 PM
I needed your saves to investigate whether or not the actual interactions were correctly injected by the game, but that's not the issue here and that's good news because that means there's absolutely nothing wrong with your game.

So the only things that remains different between your game and mine is the locale. I'm a Dane so my game defaults to English as it's not been released in Danish, but when I changed the locale to French (like yours), it doesn't work for me either. Funnily enough, if I set it to something else like German, it works fine. To be honest I'm clueless as to why that is atm, because it makes absolutely no sense.

So a solution for you right now, would be to change your game's locale to English. There's no easy way to do so, as you will need to edit your Windows registry.
To do so on Windows 10, the steps are as follows:

Please understand that you will do so at YOUR OWN risk! Manually editing the Windows registry can be extremely dangerous unless you know what you're doing!

1. Open the start menu and type in regedit and press ENTER to open up the tool
  2. In the treeview on the left, open the following folders:
    1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    2. SOFTWARE
    3. WOW6432Node
    4. Electronic Arts
  3. You should now see a folder named The Sims Medieval. Click on it to highlight it, and you should then see a table on the right
  4. Double-click on the Locale row and change the value from fr-FR to en-US
  5. If you have the Pirates & Nobles expansion pack, there should be another folder named The Sims Medieval Pirates and Nobles. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for this folder
  6. Exit regedit

To keep your settings and kingdoms, go to My Documents > Electronic Arts and make a copy of the Les Sims Medieval folder and rename it to The Sims Medieval.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 9:22 PM
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help ! After editing my registry to the english version, it works perfectly fine indeed.
I would never have thought of that, it's really weird that the language causes an issue with the cheats, but I'm really glad to be able to shift click now. Having to play the game in English is totally fine.

Thanks again for all the help, I'm really grateful.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 10:51 PM
Glad to hear it, and you're welcome!