Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#26 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 2:45 PM
Just wait until she tells you her name herself. Every cat I've ever had, not too long after having them, some name will just pop into my head when I'm around them that fits perfectly and then suddenly, no other name will make sense at all for them.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Original Poster
#27 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 2:48 PM
Aw I hope so... thanks HP
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 5:26 PM
Also remeber, if the kitten bites you and being nice won't get it to disengage from your arm, then you can bite him back. This will startle them into letting go and you can disentangle yourself. Don't chew gum if you decide to do this.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Alchemist
#29 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 5:59 PM
You dont mean to seriously BITE your cat back do you?
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kustirider2

Yes... it works surprisingly well. I mean, its common knowledge that to get a dog to stop being mean to you you bite it, and it isn't as much common wisdom with cats, but it definitely works.

I mean, you don't do it every time the animal bites you, but it does work if used sparingly.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Alchemist
#31 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 6:12 PM
That is really cruel...
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 6:15 PM
That is really cruel...

Humans are omnivores.
Therefore humans have blunt teeth, unless you go to a lot of trouble and agony to sharpen them, which I don't.
Cats are predators, therefore they have a thick pad of muscle in between their shoulder blades, and they live in temperate environments, therefore they have thickish skin.
So blunt teeth into thick skin does not do more than startle the cat into letting go of your wrist so you can scuttle away. How is that creul?

Alchemist
#33 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 6:17 PM
Because the cat will be scared, You dont have to bite him. You can just tap him on the nose and say NO, I would never bite my cats.
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 6:21 PM
Isn't that what Mother cats do to their kittens to disapline them?

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 6:40 PM
Something I actully am good at....

I have 3 cats.
5 year old girl.
4 year old boy.
1 year old girl.

Best thing to do is act as if the kitten is a human baby/toddler.
Baby proof the house right away.

-House plants aren't the best on the ground or where the cat can climb...unless the sight of a possible dead cat, Cat puke all over the floor or even leaf chunks all over the floor excites you then, I'd move all plants.

-Put outlet plugs into the wall outlets. Kittens are extra curious so that would let you rest alittle better knowing your kitten wont be a static furball.

-Cat posts. You will need lots of them.
Inside we have two.
In the garage (where they all sleep and the two older ones play mostly) there are 4..there might even 5.
Even though you can buy the most perfect cat bed that even you'd want to cuddle on...cats are weird and rather be asleep on the cat post.

-Mealtimes. Unless a fat little kitten is what your going for, mealtimes would be the best for it.
Three meals just like people. If you and your boyfriend work and the kitten has the run of the house and you guys don't go home for lunch then feeding it twice as much in the morning.

-Cat toys.
If she stays home alone then it'd be better for you to spoil her with cat toys (that is unless ripped sofas and knocked over house items make you happy).

-Tie Wraps. Yes, those white-ish things that usually hold wires together.
They are your bestfriend. Our kitten is walking around the house with a smaller tie-wrap in her mouth and drops every now and then.

-Plastic Halloween spiders. Yes, cats are very weird. All of our 3 love plastic spiders.
The two girls really love them. They drop everything for them.

-Litterbox vs. Litter trays.
The youngest cat we have had a litter tray because, she wasn't properly trained to use litter.
We tried attaching the litterbox top (with the flap door)....yeah...She wouldn't go potty.
The older two love their stair litterbox (Yes, it has stairs).

EDIT:
Try not to yell/scream or run around angry. Doing so will scare the cat and might fear people.

-Names. Like what HP said, wait for them.
Or...you can look at them and name them by their appearence (like what we did with the older two), pick a name just because, you like it.

Ok, I think I've covered everything.
I hope you enjoy your new little fluffball!

kustirider2, Biting isn't completely cruel. Depending on how you bite it.
Cats have extra skin and if you do bite them and it does hurt them...your face will know.
Biting isn't the best thing to do. Cats have great memory (which is why our oldest cat hates my dad).
How you disipline the cat is up to the owner and how the cat reacts is the owners fault.

Ex. The cat jumps on a expensive decoration (or something else not aloud) and you swat it with your hand the cat can either attack back (which usually gets more introuble), fear hands in general or do what you want and obey.

SilentPsycho, No, mother cats hold on to the nape of the kittens neck to move them.

So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

Mad Poster
#36 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 7:13 PM

We did that every now and then when my dog was a puppy. Not taking a chunk out of him, just a little nip. One time he bit me on the ear when I was holding him, so I bit him on the ear. All it did was startle him- he would have whimpered if it hurt. Now he doesn't bite anymore and it obviously worked like a charm.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#37 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 7:19 PM
Y'know, with cats what works a lot better than biting them (and doesn't get fur in your mouth) is giving them a flick on the nose and a sharp NO.

As I mentioned before, after a few times of doing it, just the hand gesture of your middle finger held down with your thumb can get them to stop doing something to avoid the flick.

With dogs, a bite means "I'm in charge," and appeals to their innate pack instinct (what works even better than that - and doesn't get dog fur in your mouth, is a sharp NO and staring them in the eyes. If they continue, flipping them on their back, looking them in the eyes, and grabbing their throat is an even clearer sign that you aren't gonna take any crap).

With cats, it doesn't matter if you think you're in charge or not - to them, you're a live-in servant, not a master, and the cat believes they're in charge no matter how hard you train them. Instead of appealing to their pack instinct, you have to appeal to a cat's sense of dignity and offense. Getting flicked on the nose is extremely undignified and offensive to a cat. Thus, it works better than biting them.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 8:07 PM
I have/had (long story) 3 cats and one wasa big problem kitty when we were potty training her. I learned the hard way to not yell at them and freak because it just startled her and she just kept spraying all over the house but in hidden areas because she knew I'd be pissed.

To keep them busy was actually pretty easy. I tied an old shoe lace around the doorknob and all three of them would play for the longest time. It was very low budget but easy and fun for them.

It's funny thinking of how far I've come as a pet owner because I never thought of myself as a cat person until I got one. The best thing I can say is to treat your kitten as a baby. They sleep, eat, poop, and play like newborns. Aww, I miss my kids kitten days. They had a bed time and everything. Which worked out for me because my oldest boy, Boone (almost 2) now knows when it's bed time and will come laay under the covers with me....AWWWW Meow!
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 9th Sep 2008 at 10:54 PM
Instead of biting or hitting them on the nose, you could always hiss at them. Just give her/him your best snake hiss and they get the picture.

Cats hiss at other cats to tell them to back off.

My eldest cat "bops" the kitten on the head when she does something wrong. It's actually quite funny to watch; he's training her. Of course, he could train her not to knock stuff off the table. >.o

I'm indifferently curious.
8/2010
9/2011
#40 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 2:48 AM
For one thing cats hav a mind of thier own if you piss them off to much they wont even look at you or they get this pouty thing like my cat does. Don't feed it too much tuna or everytime you open a can they'll want wants ever in it. Also leave your cat alone for periods of time, or they'll get seperation anxiety if your around all the time and then you suddenly leave.( Yes my cat is that lame.)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#41 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BitterSweetNoodles
Don't feed it too much tuna or everytime you open a can they'll want wants ever in it.

Hehe, whenever my gran gave her cat canned cat food he would go out and catch a mouse, and then place it on top of the dish of food as if to say, 'I can catch better than you offer'!
Original Poster
#42 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 1:38 PM
Thanks so much for all the extra advice since I last checked this thread...

I've now had my kitten for a whole week! She's got a name now - Daisy.

She's such a well behaved kitten! Always uses her litter box, hasn't destroyed any furniture (even though she's been left on her own during the day this week as my boyfriend who normally works odd hours due to him working shifts has been doing training all week), she doesn't bite or scratch, loves to play and loves cuddles! She always comes and finds me or my boyfriend to snuggle up to when she's ready to go to sleep.

And we intoduced her to our house rabbit. He loves her! He hops around the room after her grunting happily lol. She's not so sure though... she backs away from him sometimes when he gets a little too over-excited. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they might get on eventually though...
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 7:32 PM
I'm sure someone has said this, but do not panic is she hasn't eaten yet. I used to work for the Humane Society and it was common to get frightened new owners calling to ask what they were doing wrong because their new baby hadn't eaten yet. They are just getting used to a new environment and parents. But she is drinking water, which is fabulous!

I wish you luck on your new addition. I remember when I got my puppy (who's 10 now) and how exciting it was!
Original Poster
#44 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 8:51 PM
She is eating fine now thanks sarrrrah

Think it must have just been the excitement of the first day! She is definitely deciding on her favourite flavours of food though... she always cleans up the tuna straight away, but only picks at turkey! Hehe.
Page 2 of 2