Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 6:01 AM
Sexy Nurse Costumes: Okay or Not?
What's your view on the whole stereotype of the "sexy nurse"? "Naughty police officer"? Do you think it's *really* offensive, or do you find it funny?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 6:16 AM
It might depend on the venue. I wouldn't want to see it at a kids' party or on children, for example. It might also depend on how over the top the costume is.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 9:01 AM
It's not offensive or funny... just very unoriginal and wreaks of desperation.

... kind of like Courtney Stodden!
Banned
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 1:47 PM
Haha, yeah that's true.
Instructor
#5 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 2:29 PM
I think its fine- for adults. I wouldn't wear one personally, but they are popular, and I'm ok with that.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 3:24 PM
For adults its okay but I wouldn't want kids wearing that kind of stuff. Also there is a limit.. if its too revealing it should be worn in the bedroom for like role play or something not a Halloween costume.
Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 10:33 PM
But I'm seeing teenagers dress like that! Not even teenagers- more like 13, 14 area.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 10:42 PM
13 and 14 year olds are teenagers .

I don't find it offensive at all.Whilst I've never owned a "sexy" police officer or nurse costume, I have worn similar fancy dress in the past. It's just a bit of fun.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 10:45 PM
I find them more annoying than offensive really. I agree they're unoriginal and the whole "sexy <insert choice>" is a very tiresome cliché. But whatever floats your boat at a grown-up party.

Really my only problem with them is that it seems the "powers that be" in the costuming world appear to believe that those are the ONLY costumes adult women want to buy. What about some other choices for those of us that either don't like them or don't fit into them?
Banned
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 10:59 PM
But seriously... 13 year olds?! I mean, I'm not THAT old, to wear I hate the new generation (although I DO hate the new generation) and complain about how "back in the day" there was a thing called MODESTY, but seriously... Not to mention I've heard my friend's daughter talk about "Ugh, when am I going to lose my virginity!" even though she's only ten... It's disgusting to me.
Theorist
#11 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 5M0K3
But seriously... 13 year olds?! I mean, I'm not THAT old, to wear I hate the new generation (although I DO hate the new generation) and complain about how "back in the day" there was a thing called MODESTY, but seriously... Not to mention I've heard my friend's daughter talk about "Ugh, when am I going to lose my virginity!" even though she's only ten... It's disgusting to me.

Shouldn't you be complaining about your generation? After all, they're the ones raising the kids. Our biology hasn't changed and therefor whatever things you don't like about children today is due to to the adults. Children will learn these behaviors from their parents, from their friends (whose parents taught them), and from the media (again, it's the parents job to restrict what their children can view). It's not the kids buying skanky costumes!

Hi I'm Paul!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 11:50 PM
I agree with most of the people in this thread: sexy nurse costumes are fine. A little cliche, but I don't think they're offensive unless it's reduced to nipple tape and a thong. And, yes, I've seen that sort of sexy nurse's costume, and, yes, it was a bit much for a Halloween party.

My mother has raised me that, when it comes to costumes and going out, it's always better to be classy and still a little original, which is why I've never even thought about donning a sexy nurse/maid/police officer costume. Instead, I'll dress as the TARDIS, for example, but rather than look ridiculous in a giant blue box, I'll adapt pieces of clothing I have and make little signs to indicate what I am. My parents are always willing to help with things like that, whereas a lot of others just want their kid to stop nagging them and therefore buy the sexy nurse's costume for their thirteen year old.

It's down to parenting when it gets to the kids who are that young, but I've never seen a thirteen year old in a costume that skanky.
Banned
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Robodl95
Shouldn't you be complaining about your generation? After all, they're the ones raising the kids. Our biology hasn't changed and therefor whatever things you don't like about children today is due to to the adults. Children will learn these behaviors from their parents, from their friends (whose parents taught them), and from the media (again, it's the parents job to restrict what their children can view). It's not the kids buying skanky costumes!

But I'm not the one raising them. And in all honesty, you seriously have to cut the parents some slack. Kids are crazy. They were when I was young. When my parents were young. They always will be. But some things will be deemed as "cool" and whether the parents like it or not, the kids will find a way to get into it themselves. I've seen people half my age selling drugs and their bodies before. In some cases it is my generation's fault, but in other cases it's the kid. Hormones and what not. Makes them out of control.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 12:11 AM
Slutty costumes are not scary. They're not for Halloween. Girls only wear it to show off to perverted boys... in my opinion, anyway. My parents would NEVER let me step out in a slutty costume, I think... well, I don't want to, anyway.
Fairy princess costumes for little girls, I can understand, but not slutty costumes.
Oh, does anyone else think the prices for costumes totally inflated this year?

ENTJ
Banned
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 12:27 AM
*I* pressed the love button on the comment above me. You remember that.
Theorist
#16 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 12:54 AM
But I'm not the one raising them. And in all honesty, you seriously have to cut the parents some slack. Kids are crazy. They were when I was young. When my parents were young. They always will be. But some things will be deemed as "cool" and whether the parents like it or not, the kids will find a way to get into it themselves. I've seen people half my age selling drugs and their bodies before. In some cases it is my generation's fault, but in other cases it's the kid. Hormones and what not. Makes them out of control.

Okay... but there's no need to hate on the younger generation when you admit that you acted that way also. Parents can't stop everything, but a good and attentive parent can keep them on the right path. For example, teaching them to think for themselves, realize the possible dangers and not do something just because it's cool.

Hi I'm Paul!
Mad Poster
#17 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 4:42 AM
You have a valid point. I'm not sure how one would communicate to a young teen that it's ok for an adult to dress that way and not a teen, but it does seem totally inappropriate for a young girl. I would worry that a girl wearing that kind of costume would not be making a joke and would be looking for the wrong kind of attention. Sad about your friend's daughter. Have you talked to her?

Banned
Original Poster
#18 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
You have a valid point. I'm not sure how one would communicate to a young teen that it's ok for an adult to dress that way and not a teen, but it does seem totally inappropriate for a young girl. I would worry that a girl wearing that kind of costume would not be making a joke and would be looking for the wrong kind of attention. Sad about your friend's daughter. Have you talked to her?

Her mom gave her "the talk" but I don't think she's really changed her mind. But I think it's just a phase right now. When I was 17 I went through a "I'm still a goddamned virgin" phase... However I was 17, she's 10. But still, kids go through phases, so pretty much as long as her mom keeps her from... Having sex, then it'll eventually passed.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 5:00 PM
Her mom gave her "the talk" but I don't think she's really changed her mind. But I think it's just a phase right now. When I was 17 I went through a "I'm still a goddamned virgin" phase... However I was 17, she's 10. But still, kids go through phases, so pretty much as long as her mom keeps her from... Having sex, then it'll eventually passed.
Maybe. It almost sounds like she thinks there's something wrong with being a virgin. She might need more than one talk. Ten - geesh!

Scholar
#20 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 8:32 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=stra...KYuqHWDg&zoom=1

And that's what straight jackets are for!

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Banned
Original Poster
#21 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Maybe. It almost sounds like she thinks there's something wrong with being a virgin. She might need more than one talk. Ten - geesh!

Yeah... I told her that I lost it when I was 25 but she thinks that you're 'old and wrinkly' when you're 25. But with this it's hard, because we can't tell her that having sex at a young age can get you pregnant and possibly ruin your life, because she knows her mom had her at 19, so knowing her, I'd say she'd think that what we're REALLY saying it, 'you ruined your mom's life'. But when I was 13 I had a friend who had a baby, and after she had her she said it did ruin her life, especially since she couldn't go to school anymore (at least not normal school while in the showing stages of pregnancy, or right after she had the baby) and I'm not really sure what happened to her now, but that's coming from someone who was affected by teenage pregnancy. (And ironically she always dressed up as a 'sexy' something for Halloween!) I'm not saying that kids dressing up as a 'sexy nurse' makes them pre-teen moms, but it definitely is something to consider.
Scholar
#22 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 9:00 PM
Tell her to watch the miserable ones on 16 and pregnant. Every single last one of them regrets having an underage pregnancy. And, if all else fails don't forget the straight jacket! *Goes makes straight jacket to send to 5MOK3*

Banned
Original Poster
#23 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 9:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
Tell her to watch the miserable ones on 16 and pregnant. Every single last one of them regrets having an underage pregnancy. And, if all else fails don't forget the straight jacket! *Goes makes straight jacket to send to 5MOK3*

You and your straitjackets...
Scholar
#24 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 9:55 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing!

Mad Poster
#25 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 11:01 PM
Yeah... I told her that I lost it when I was 25 but she thinks that you're 'old and wrinkly' when you're 25. But with this it's hard, because we can't tell her that having sex at a young age can get you pregnant and possibly ruin your life, because she knows her mom had her at 19, so knowing her, I'd say she'd think that what we're REALLY saying it, 'you ruined your mom's life'. But when I was 13 I had a friend who had a baby, and after she had her she said it did ruin her life, especially since she couldn't go to school anymore (at least not normal school while in the showing stages of pregnancy, or right after she had the baby) and I'm not really sure what happened to her now, but that's coming from someone who was affected by teenage pregnancy. (And ironically she always dressed up as a 'sexy' something for Halloween!) I'm not saying that kids dressing up as a 'sexy nurse' makes them pre-teen moms, but it definitely is something to consider.
I guess you could point out that there's a big difference between 10 and 19. And it's not just pregnancy that she needs to be careful about; there's venereal disease plus the confusion of self that comes from being intimate with someone you are not actually emotionally intimate with. That's a tough one to explain to a child.

Page 1 of 2