Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 2:10 PM
Buying new PC - needs a bit of input, thanks!
I'm buying a new pc and I'd appreciate some input or recommendations from more computer savvy users. I know a bit about what to get, but I'm still on the fence about certain things.
I've read through the sticky topics, but I still need a bit of help so I hope my post is justified!
I'm not a native English speaker so I do hope I use the correct terms and such.

I've got my eye on a few computers, so what I'm interested in is getting some advice about the parts I'm putting in it.

1. Is SSD nessecary? I can get a 120gb SSD + a second HDD drive. But I really dislike having two hard drives, and I'd prefer 1 drive. But upgrading a SSD drive to at least 500 gb is too pricey. Will a regular HDD 1TB hard drive be good?
I'm looking at the Seagate Barracuda® 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 3.5" - its cheaper getting this drive, than getting the 120 gb SSD drive. (And with the 120gb SSD I would also need a second drive which is even more money)
Is it fine if I go with the Seagate 1TB?

2. I've checked the list of compatible graphics card and the one I'm thinking about is on it. It's the Sapphire Radeon HD 7790. I'm assuming that's fine? Is there another one I should rather choose? The 7750 is 40$ cheaper. I dont have a need to downgrade, but does it matter if its the 7790 or 7750? I wouldn't mind saving 40$ but it's really not a big deal. What do you recommend?

3. It has a standard main board (is that the same as mother board?) and I don't know anything about this part really. It's called MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155 m-ATX, B75, DDR3, 1xG3-PCIe-x16, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, VGA, DVI, UEFI - I have no idea about this really. Is this fine or should I change something? I can upgrade to a more expensive, this is just the standard one they put in if you don't upgrade.

4. The standard is the Intel Pentium G2030 Processor LGA1155, Dual Core, 3.0GHz, 3MB, 55W, HD Graphics, Boxed w/fan processor. I'd like to upgrade it, and I'm thinking this one: Intel Core i5-3330 Processor Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.0GHz, 6MB, 77W, HD2500, Boxed w/fan - what do you think? It's about 150$ extra, but that okay if it's worth it. Is this upgrade going overboard or does it make sense? MTS recommends i5 or higher so that's why I'd upgrade.

5. It comes with 4Gb RAM and I'd like to upgrade to 8gb.
How is this:
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600MHz 8GB 2x4GB CL10 XMP 1,5V, Red

I hope this wasn't too long to read!
I just need to verification if these parts are fine.
I'd also like inputs if you'd recommend something better though, however my budget isn't exactly unlimited!!

Quick one though - windows 7 or 8? I used to have vista so I haven't tried these really.

Thank you so much in advance!!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 2:29 PM
What is your native language? If its french I can help you out in french...

Do you already have a desktop? Computer screen?
What else do you plan on doing with the computer? Video Editing? Photoshop?
What is your budget? How much are you looking to spend and how long do you expect your new computer to remain relevant?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 2:44 PM
I'm Danish.

I have the accessories like screen, keyboard and all that - but I need a complete desktop. I'll most likely be buying from komplett.dk
My budget is around 950$ or 600£.
I don't plan to do hardcore gaming, mostly sims 3 as I prefer to play ps3 games otherwise. But I will be playing with most EPs installed and hopefully some Mods and CC.
Other than that I'll do some writing and probably use photoshop, but only for "home use". I don't plan on using it for anything work or school related. I just a "home" computer that works WELL with sims 3, amateur photoediting and Netflix.
I'm looking at this:
http://www.komplett.dk/k/config.asp...gSystemId=10700

But I need to know which parts like hard drive, processor and stuff to choose. If that makes sense.
Scholar
#4 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 3:26 PM
950 USD equals 715 EUR... what's your budget in DKK? Also, would you be willing to assemble the computer yourself?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 3:34 PM
My budget is around 5500 Dkkr. Or at least under 6000 Dkkr
I wouldn't mind assembling it myself, but I haven't done so before so I don't know if I could.
If I buy from www.komplett.dk they assemble it for me. I just need to fill out the form of what I want in it so to speak (the link in my previous post). I would prefer it this way, but if there's a cheaper options where I can get the same for less money with doing some assembling myself, I'd be open to that.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!
Scholar
#6 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 4:54 PM
Intel Core i5-3330 Processor 1,299.00
MSI Z77A-G41, Socket-1155 679.00
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 649.00
WD Desktop Blue 1TB 499.00
ASUS GeForce GTX 660 2GB PhysX CUDA 1.459,00
Corsair CX 500M, 500W PSU 469,00
Cooler Master CM 690 II Basic Sort 629,00

Total: 5.683,00 incl. VAT

To that you'll need to add Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. If you get OEM, its about 600 Dkkr, if you get retail its about 1100 Dkkr. If you find its still a bit expensive, I would get a cheaper case. But the cooler master is good, I use it myself.
Before you buy though, I would shop around and see if you can find somewhere that sells the same stuff, but cheaper.

If you can keep your current PC for a year or two though, that would be really good for you. You can save a bit more money and then it'll be closer to when The Sims 4 launches and you can get a PC that will run it better. What are you using right now?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 5:18 PM
Thank you!

I can get this :

Cooler Master Elite 310 Sort/Sølv
Cooler Master GX Lite 500W PSU
Intel Core i5-3330 Processor
MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5
Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224DB
WD Desktop Blue 1TB
MS COA Label Windows Home Premium 7
MS DVD Win H.P/Pro/Ultimate 7 DK 64bit
MS ROYALTY Win Home Premium 7 Nordic

Completely assembled and shipped for 5.765 Dkkr.

How does that sound? Are some things too downgraded? Should I upgrade something, like the graphics card? I'd like to stay below 6000 Dkkr.
Is the MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155 alright?

And I would keep my old computer if I could. But it's super old and it's not even able to boot up now. I've had it checked and it seems just dead. Besides, it's actually not even mine so I should get a new one anyway. I don't know if I can take it apart and use some parts, but as I said, it's actually not mine so I don't know if my brother (who owns it) would want it back and use certain parts himself.
Scholar
#8 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 7:09 PM
The B75 motherboard is intended for businesses not home use. It has fewer USB and doesn't support SRT and doesn't support faster RAM.

The graphics card you chose is kind of weak. Its the weakest card that I would say someone should play the sims 3 on. I really don't think it will play the later expansions for the sims 3 well.

Why did you list three copies of Windows?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 7:24 PM
I only listed 3 copies, cause I copy-pasted it from the website.

Yeah, I also realised that about the graphics card, and I'll choose a different one. Probably the EVGA Geforce GTX650Ti 2GB - that would be alright?

About the motherboard - I don't know much about it, and that was the standard one I could choose for the gamer unlimited PC at komplett's website. I've been looking at one at mm-vision.dk, but I can see that this one has the same motherboard.
I'd prefer finding a pc where I can change things like the graphics ect, and have it assembled and shipped to me. But most seem to come with the B75 motherboard, so I guess I'll have to look further. I just don't think I could buy parts and build it completely myself honestly.

So I think I'll need to do some research about where I can get one with a better motherboard without killing my bank account completely.
Scholar
#10 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 7:35 PM
The 650 ti would be better yeah. i think you should shop around some more and keep your eyes open for specials. that website seemed a bit expensive honestly...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 8:10 PM
Thanks for all your help.
I think it's pretty expensive too. But everything in Denmark is generally overpriced.
I've emailed mm-vision.dk about their computers. Seems I can get the same or better for less money. I can get the 650ti and the motherboard you recommended, as well as a better processor.
Everyone always recommends komplett.dk, it's even recommended here on one of the sticky topics. But I'll probably stick with mm-vision or look out for specials.

Thanks for your help, again