Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#51 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 9:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
This is actually something to consider - if you're a YouTuber who plays The Sims, you're either uber girly and annoying or a psychopath. That's kind of a problem, methinks. Say that I were to do a serious, non-obnoxious, heavily edited and partially scripted Let's play with normal people shit like swearing and stuff, would you guys watch that?

You mean like a legit let's play like we get of other games? Without the ear-splitting, high pitched squeal of 12-16 year old girls? AND there's swearing?!

Hell yeah, I'd probably watch the hell out of it. If there's one thing on you tube I hate almost as much as these high pitched squealy kids, it's their brain-dead child commentors freaking out every time they say something vaguely representative of a cuss word.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 10:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
You mean like a legit let's play like we get of other games? Without the ear-splitting, high pitched squeal of 12-16 year old girls? AND there's swearing?!
Hell yeah, I'd probably watch the hell out of it. If there's one thing on you tube I hate almost as much as these high pitched squealy kids, it's their brain-dead child commentors freaking out every time they say something vaguely representative of a cuss word.

Okay, I'll do my best. I'm a sucker for production value so when I do a thing like that, I'll do it right. Plus, I'm a pretty good talker so I can probably fill 20 minutes every few weeks.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#53 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 5:28 PM
I would rather watch paint dry than others play, other than bits in say LGR who plays a bit to demonstrate things in his reviews. He is the only person I will watch play, at all.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 5:33 PM
I wouldn't really make it a Let's play anyway, I don't think that'd be very interesting. I think I'd edit 3 hours' worth of gameplay down to 20 minutes.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#55 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I would rather watch paint dry than others play, other than bits in say LGR who plays a bit to demonstrate things in his reviews. He is the only person I will watch play, at all.

idk, I enjoy other people's frustration more than my own. We also have to think of people who want to enjoy the game but can't afford it and don't have a friend with an Origin account from whom they can leach.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 10:05 PM
Why play Sims if it frustrates you so much? I play it to have fun, not get irritated and I sure don't want to watch someone else playing it who is having issues with it. I can think of a zillion other ways I would rather spend my time.
Theorist
#57 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 10:43 PM
Why play Sims if it frustrates you so much? I play it to have fun, not get irritated and I sure don't want to watch someone else playing it who is having issues with it. I can think of a zillion other ways I would rather spend my time.

Because I'm a masochist. :x

Also like I tell other people, unless I plan to adopt which I cannot do with my present financial situation I won't be able to have a family. So it's nice for me to be able to live that stuff vicariously through my sims :\
Mad Poster
#58 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 10:51 PM
Well anyway, if you guys like to see frustration, you'll love watching me playing my game.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#59 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 9:45 AM
Generally speaking, I'm with you. Let's Plays are torturous to me. I did somewhat enjoy an English Simmer who had a nice voice and sweet observations, but couldn't watch for very long. Generally, I find just about anything Clint puts out very entertaining with only a couple of exceptions, but those are reviews, not Let's Plays. One time, he was playing Sims 1 and it did get boring to watch as he became non-verbal and obviously caught up in his own game.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 9:57 AM
The problem with Let's plays as opposed to edited videos is that they usually don't edit out the boring or tedious parts. What's the point of that? I don't know if you guys have ever watched Robbaz's TS3 series, but he compresses an entire afternoon of gameplay into 12 minutes and he always has somewhat of a goal for the video. So most anything that happens in those 12 minutes is comedy. He makes it entertaining, and he's not even that good at the game.

insert signature here
Theorist
#61 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 11:46 AM
The problem with Let's plays as opposed to edited videos is that they usually don't edit out the boring or tedious parts. What's the point of that? I don't know if you guys have ever watched Robbaz's TS3 series, but he compresses an entire afternoon of gameplay into 12 minutes and he always has somewhat of a goal for the video. So most anything that happens in those 12 minutes is comedy. He makes it entertaining, and he's not even that good at the game.

How would you do the commentary? I'm a fan of in-the moment commentary. the kind where you can show your frustration to what's happening in the game rather than the kind that goes back and puts it over the footage after. What they THINK they were thinking in that particular moment.

I love the raw, spontaneous rage when you realise the perfect fucking item only comes in three hideous colours.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 11:57 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 6th Oct 2017 at 12:08 PM.
How would you do the commentary? I'm a fan of in-the moment commentary. the kind where you can show your frustration to what's happening in the game rather than the kind that goes back and puts it over the footage after. What they THINK they were thinking in that particular moment.
I love the raw, spontaneous rage when you realise the perfect fucking item only comes in three hideous colours.

I wouldn't do post commentary. I'm not very good at that and it'd be boring. I always talk to myself when I'm playing The Sims, and when I've recorded myself doing it, I've found it pretty entertaining to listen to.
So I'll probably go for the semi-scripted format where I have an end goal for the episodes, and a rough outline of what I want to do before then. And I'll cut out moments where I feel they're not appropriate.

I'm kind of trying to apply filmmaking or TV logic to how I want to do everything, so it's really important for me to plan ahead.
I love the idea of kind of making it a mock sitcom, so I've been toying with the idea of setting it my 80s world instead of the regular one so I can get really creative with that. Only half of my potential entertainment value could come from the gameplay itself; the rest would have to come from the embellishment around it. The jokes, the references, and the tropes. That's my strong suit.
Other than that, I'll keep it genuine and improvised.

So yes, there will be raw spontaneous rage and impromptu profanity. But it will be only when the story allows for it.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#63 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 12:17 PM
I have yet to find any sort of Let's Play that I would like- namely a series that focuses on setting/place, letting sims do their own thing and with a natural, game-play derived narrative.

Most of them focus too much on shock value or challenges (1000 baby challenge!!!), entirely building with no gameplay, direct their sims around too much or are purely story-driven. Also doesn't help that nearly all the sims look like supermodels 24/7.
Mad Poster
#64 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 12:28 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 6th Oct 2017 at 12:42 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
I have yet to find any sort of Let's Play that I would like- namely a series that focuses on setting/place, letting sims do their own thing and with a natural, game-play derived narrative.
Most of them focus too much on shock value or challenges (1000 baby challenge!!!), entirely building with no gameplay, direct their sims around too much or are purely story-driven. Also doesn't help that nearly all the sims look like supermodels 24/7.

I know exactly what you mean. Check your PMs.

insert signature here
Theorist
#65 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 1:05 PM
So yes, there will be raw spontaneous rage and impromptu profanity. But it will be only when the story allows for it.

But then again, if it's you doing it it'd be a sims 3 gameplay which doesn't have nearly as much rage potential. xD
Mad Poster
#66 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 1:12 PM
Oh, you know nothing, Shigemi. You know nothing. I get angry at EVERYTHING.

insert signature here
Theorist
#67 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 2:49 PM
Oh, you know nothing, Shigemi. You know nothing. I get angry at EVERYTHING.

Oh, you know nothing, Pilion. You know nothing. The Sims 4 is the textbook definition of aggravation.

If frustration was a programming language...
Mad Poster
#68 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 3:24 PM
Oh, you know nothing, Pilion. You know nothing. The Sims 4 is the textbook definition of aggravation.

I know, I've played it for 918 hours. And to think I didn't even get paid for it.

insert signature here
Theorist
#69 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 4:47 PM
I know, I've played it for 918 hours. And to think I didn't even get paid for it.

YOU SAID A MILLION TIMES IN THIS FORUM YOU DON'T PLAY THE SIMS 4 D<
Mad Poster
#70 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 4:51 PM
Past tense, present tense.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#71 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 5:01 PM
Another problem for me in the tiny bit I have watched Let's Play is the jerky camera movements. People move the camera all over the place or cannot even keep it steady. I see that and I am gone.
Theorist
#72 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 5:03 PM
Another problem for me in the tiny bit I have watched Let's Play is the jerky camera movements. People move the camera all over the place or cannot even keep it steady. I see that and I am gone.

oh you would HATE watching me. My camera looks like it's being operated my a hungry squirrel on meth.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 5:19 PM
Same, probably. I put my camera wherever I need it. Luckily I don't tend to need it in a lot of places, but I'm personally 100% immune to shaky camera movements done my either myself or the person I'm watching.
Do remind me to add in rapid cuts, steadicam footage, dutch angles and lens flares. I want to get that full Michael Bay-JJ Abrams feel going. Make it look Transformers, F&F, Star Trek or one of those other shit franchises.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#74 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 5:26 PM
This is actually something to consider - if you're a YouTuber who plays The Sims, you're either uber girly and annoying or a psychopath. That's kind of a problem, methinks. Say that I were to do a serious, non-obnoxious, heavily edited and partially scripted Let's play with normal people shit like swearing and stuff, would you guys watch that?

If you know how to swear (not like those people that spit cusses out of cusses), than heck I'm all in for it.
Scholar
#75 Old 6th Oct 2017 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000

Heh, I've had vague thoughts of recording my TS2 medieval style 'hood, but fear it won't be popular because it does practically all you've said here. Stable camera, natural gameplay (with some randomization/random events), letting the sims mostly do their thing, and just watching how things flow and what stories arise out of it.
Page 3 of 4