Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

2018 MTS Calendar Contest - posted on 13th Nov 2017 at 3:48 AM
Replies: 103 (Who?), Viewed: 27568 times.
Page 5 of 5
Test Subject
#101 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 3:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunder
I'm not the one who resurrected it.

I never said you resurrected it, I said you had commented 5 times SINCE it had been resurrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzie
You say that and yet since the thread was 'resurrected' you have commented 5 times!! Almost every day!
Instructor
#102 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 4:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerDeTerre
Ummm..."No one's rights are being seriously threatened."????? You're basing this on what? Have you never heard of the rates of arrests, incarcerations, and legnthier sentences for black citizens? Have you never been aware of the loss of opportunities due to race and skin color? Are you unaware of the disavantages the many face due to the color of their skin and their attendant zip code? How did you come to this conclusion, anecdotal evidence (aka: an individual's experience that does not represent what the majority experiences) aside?

First, the rates of crimes are also higher for black citizens, so the arrestation rate discrepancy is justified. In regards to the length of sentences, while that is unfortunate, it is not systemic. The imprisonment gap between men and women is much larger than the gap between black and white people, though, and I see no men starting riots over this.

Lost opportunities due to race and skin colour apply to all races. The ever-present "race quotas" that compare people based on their race rather than their abilities come to mind. Interestingly, while denying racial minorities opportunities based on their race is ILLEGAL, denying racial majorities opportunities based on their race is often LEGALLY ENFORCED. How ironic that the only systemic problem is actually the OPPOSITE of what you claim. Anyhow, zip codes are based on location, not race, though I'm not actually sure what point you were attempting to make.

Finally, I'd like to emphasize again that nothing you brought up is systemic, so there are no systemic solutions. Do you honestly think racially-motivated violence is a valid way to change public perspective for the better? Don't make me laugh.
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman101
First, the rates of crimes are also higher for black citizens, so the arrestation rate discrepancy is justified. In regards to the length of sentences, while that is unfortunate, it is not systemic. The imprisonment gap between men and women is much larger than the gap between black and white people, though, and I see no men starting riots over this.

Lost opportunities due to race and skin colour apply to all races. The ever-present "race quotas" that compare people based on their race rather than their abilities come to mind. Interestingly, while denying racial minorities opportunities based on their race is ILLEGAL, denying racial majorities opportunities based on their race is often LEGALLY ENFORCED. How ironic that the only systemic problem is actually the OPPOSITE of what you claim. Anyhow, zip codes are based on location, not race, though I'm not actually sure what point you were attempting to make.

Finally, I'd like to emphasize again that nothing you brought up is systemic, so there are no systemic solutions. Do you honestly think racially-motivated violence is a valid way to change public perspective for the better? Don't make me laugh.
^^^This!^^^
Lab Assistant
#104 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzie
I never said you resurrected it, I said you had commented 5 times SINCE it had been resurrected.
Just as you have, and you're right, you didn't say that. My apologies.
Page 5 of 5