Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 10:12 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Access violation and crash upon loading CAS.
I was forced to reset Windows, which meant I had to download Sims 2 from Origin again. I previously had the original UC,and everything was fine (I load the game often; multiple times a day sometimes, for creating, and everything was perfect). The new UC crashes as soon as I click the add a Sim button in CAS. Add a pet works fine. I have Windows 10 home 64 (with the 1709 update), and an AMD A10-9600P, with Radeon R5 integrated graphics, 12 GB ram. Things I've tried - a brand new EA folder with no mods, setting the CPU Count to 1, a 4GB patched exe, running in compatibility mode for XP, Vista, 7, and 8, turning off DEP, overriding high DPI scaling behavior, updating the graphics rules. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 12:46 PM Last edited by ihatemandatoryregister : 16th Mar 2018 at 1:00 PM.
Graphics drivers okay? If you're fetching the drivers through Windows Update (which I believe is mandatory on 10) there have been cases where it gets outdated drivers or the wrong ones entirely. Bit of info here about disabling it.

Another hunch here - when creating a new Sim in CAS, it creates a temporary character file in the neighbourhood's Characters folders. If for some reason it's unable to do that (the folder getting set to read-only or an overly-aggressive antivirus) it could cause problems - I've never tested this theory, and it kind of falls apart when it comes to the pets, but it might be something to look into.

I'd run a chkdsk too, as bad sectors can cause all sorts of weird problems.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Test Subject
#3 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 10:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I was forced to reset Windows, which meant I had to download Sims 2 from Origin again. I previously had the original UC,and everything was fine (I load the game often; multiple times a day sometimes, for creating, and everything was perfect). The new UC crashes as soon as I click the add a Sim button in CAS. Add a pet works fine. I have Windows 10 home 64 (with the 1709 update), and an AMD A10-9600P, with Radeon R5 integrated graphics, 12 GB ram. Things I've tried - a brand new EA folder with no mods, setting the CPU Count to 1, a 4GB patched exe, running in compatibility mode for XP, Vista, 7, and 8, turning off DEP, overriding high DPI scaling behavior, updating the graphics rules. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Hi! when I first installed windows 10, I had that particular problem of the game crashing whenever I tried to create a sim. Select your "my documents" and add permissions for your user to write in there and check that EA games isn't "read only". If it's a problem with the windows 1709, then I don't know how to help, other than installing older version or waiting for a fix. Maybe try older amd drivers.

Hope you get it fixed!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Mar 2018 at 12:25 AM
Thanks. I'm going to try these things and will update. I wouldn't be surprised if there's bad sectors on the disk. I reset the computer because it was crashing every so often (and HP said it was because Windows didn't update properly) and who knows how much damage all of that caused.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 3:28 PM
After an incredibly long chkdsk /r session (literally days), all is well again. Thanks for the help.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 3:59 PM
After an incredibly long chkdsk /r session (literally days), all is well again. Thanks for the help.

Don't those things drive you mad? I had the system insisting it wanted to do that too - and with the big drives we have nowadays, it takes ages. Except for the SSD - that was great.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th Mar 2018 at 9:51 PM
Oh wow. I actually didn't expect it to be the chkdsk.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Test Subject
#8 Old 20th Mar 2018 at 9:47 PM
Glad you got it fixed!
Scholar
#9 Old 21st Mar 2018 at 12:05 AM
Question,

Do you happen to have a backup of your important files from your computer onto a portable hard drive? I ask this just in case you end up having to do disk-checking again (if it gets more frequent with bad sectors appearing). If you have important files, I'd recommend having at least 2 backups, in case your main drive ends up not working.

It could be very expensive to do disk recovery, if it ends up being a physical issue with the hard drives (like the reading arm not working, so no matter what software you use to recover files, you'd need to pay for professional services to fix and transfer the files into a new drive).

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!