Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for July - posted on 1st Aug 2018 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 8 (Who?), Viewed: 757 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 2:53 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Just me Getting Annoyed
I always disliked the fact that the game would always reset the "options" settings, especially with regards to video settings, whenever an update patch for Graphics cards rolls out and gets applied. Kind of infuriating at times.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 3:14 PM
Everyone does, it's not just you.

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 4:02 PM
Yeah I know hence the title LOL
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Jan 2018 at 11:31 PM
Why not simply make a copy of the options.ini file? Which is what I did.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 9:41 AM
@nitromon:

I didn't know doing that was possible, thanks for the neat tip :D
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 2:58 AM
marstinson over at the Steam Discussions forums for TS3 has outlined a detailed method to work around this annoying feature of the game found here...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/47890...659769955941341

...which goes...

Quote:
1. put your settings where you want them and exit the game.
2. make a backup of Options.ini
3. update drivers
4. launch game to generate a new Options.ini
5. exit game
6. open Options.ini and copy the lastdevice line
7. open backup Options.ini, replace the lastdevice line, and save
8. delete/move/overwrite \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Options.ini and replace it with the backup 9. relaunch the game

Now if I can only find an easy method to stop the game from recording movie clips in 640 by 480, even when in Windowed mode, then everything would be honky dory. Well there is Windows 10's built in gameplay recorder, but it doesn't allow for recording videos with the game's UI hidden.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 3:17 AM
Oh, I see it is overwritten by the updates.

Here's the thing I tell people about that. Never update your GPU or actually anything, unless something is not working, there's a security leak, etc... Contrary to popular belief, the fact is, if it is not broken, don't fix it.

Now about recording, most people use OBS and Frap, except it records the whole thing including the UI. The only work around is to use the TAB camera, but then you cannot really control anything while in TAB mode.

Though it might be possible to use the ingame TS3 recorder to record beyond 640x480, but see... a built in recorder in TS3 is sharing the resources of the game. It is a 32 bit program and already pushing the limit. When we use a 3rd party software, it is a separate software, all it impacts is really your GPU performance. If you use TS3 to record, your whole game is being directly affected. If you jack it up to higher than 640, you're looking at total laggage.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 8:48 AM
@nitromon:

Quote:
Now about recording, most people use OBS and Frap

No longer necessary thanks to either Windows 10's built in game recorder functionality called "Game Bar", nVidia's GeForce Experience game recorder or AMD's version of a game streamer/recorder.

Quote:
Though it might be possible to use the ingame TS3 recorder to record beyond 640x480, but see... a built in recorder in TS3 is sharing the resources of the game. It is a 32 bit program and already pushing the limit. When we use a 3rd party software, it is a separate software, all it impacts is really your GPU performance. If you use TS3 to record, your whole game is being directly affected. If you jack it up to higher than 640, you're looking at total laggage.

True, if you're playing on a Laptop or a computer with a low end GPU.

Besides TS3 I also play games like XCOM 2 which is a fairly newer game, compared to TS3 which was released in 2009, and my GTX 750 Ti GPU can easily record gameplay footage from it in 1920x1080 windowed mode with 45FPS. It also helps that my RAM is 16GB as well. And I tried to make a quick recording test using Windows 10's recorder and I noticed little to no lag at all, granted the clip was just 20 seconds long and was taken in Summer where there aren't that much more items the game had to render :/
Mad Poster
#9 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 9:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV13
True, if you're playing on a Laptop or a computer with a low end GPU.

... granted the clip was just 20 seconds long and was taken in Summer where there aren't that much more items the game had to render :/

I think you're misunderstanding me. If you are using a 3rd party recorder such as Win 10, AMD, Frap, OBS, etc... it would not matter b/c those are independent programs. They'll run "side by side" with your TS3 and record.

But the video recorder which is built into TS3 runs from TS3, which is a 32 bit program which is running both a recorder and the game simutaneously. It wouldn't matter if you have a high end GPU/CPU or lots of RAM, b/c we're pushing the max extent of the game. This is why the video recorder in TS3 is limited to 640x480.

Actually, I have mine set to 1080p, I just never use it. Let me see if I remember how I did it so you can try it. I just did a recording, the game slows down way more than a 3rd party recorder. What bothers me the most is the compression, so it is blurry when you move around. But I suppose you can also increase the compression rate, it'll just sacrifice more performance.

------------------

In your Sims 3 game folder, open Sims3.cfg with notepad.

[VideoRecording]
LowQuality = video:vp6, audio:adpcm, fps:10.0, bitrate:1000
MediumQuality = video:vp6, audio:adpcm, fps:15.0, bitrate:2000
HighQuality = video:vp6, audio:adpcm, fps:30.0, bitrate:4000
MaxQuality = video:rgb24, audio:pcm, fps:30.0, bitrate:0
Small = 1024, 0
Medium = 1280, 0
Large = 1920, 0
VideoFolder = Recorded Videos
SnapshotsFolder = Screenshots

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.