Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 5:23 PM Last edited by QBUILDERZ : 28th Oct 2013 at 2:07 AM.
Default Groundwork: A TS3 Foundation Challenge -- Final Scores Posted; Thanks for Playing!
Groundwork: A Foundation Challenge

Sometimes, it is awesome having unlimited freedom. It is nice – sure! I’ll make a giant mansion with a pool on the second floor!
Yeah, I want that bathroom to have a hot tub in it! – but eventually, all the glitz and glamor of being uninhibited wears away.
There is just no challenge to it after a while and some people, like me, get very bored…very quickly.

This contest aims to fix that by testing your skills a little bit, and putting some challenge back into your game!

The idea is super simple – instead of building your house to a set of criteria, or trying to stay on budget, I will provide you
with a footprint that you must build on, decorate, landscape, and deck out, with a catch, to the best of your ability. Don’t forget
that all of this will be done while competing against the other entrants!

Much like the previous foundation challenge I hosted – “Building Blocks” – this contest will attempt to challenge you in more
ways than just changing shapes. Instead of each round increasing in shape complexity, each round will bring a new hitch
(with the exception of R1.) This might mean split levels, diagonal segments, basements, any combination thereof, and even more.
Join in on the action and have a great time with the rest of us!

*Note* This is a TS3 only contest; based on what I have planned, replication in TS2 would be very difficult / impossible.

• No altering the foundation is allowed
    o Its shape should still be clearly visible from top down.
    o No adding more foundation on
    o No taking any foundation off
    o No adjusting the height
    o Aesthetic changes are allowed (ex. Painting, adding or removing plants, wall hangings, etc.)
  • Building away from the foundation
    o As stated above, the top down view should still resemble the original lot. This means no over hangs for more space and no
    adding basements. However, you are permitted to add a shed, car ports, garages, etc. and attach them to the lot as long as
    they don’t add more livable space. For example, garages can only be used to house cars, not store an extra bed.
  • Lot Size
    o The lot size will be included in the post. You are not allowed to place the foundation on a larger sized lot than what is given.
    o You are allowed to rotate the lot any way you would like.
  • Custom Content
    o Is allowed.
    o MTS encourages the creation and use of CC, but everyone deserves their credit. You don't have to list each bit of CC,
    just the creators that made it so they get their work highlighted.
  • Pictures
    o You are REQUIRED to upload the following pictures with each round:
    ----->• Front picture
    ----->• Back picture
    ----->• Floor plan pictures
    o Extra pictures are recommended, but not required.
    o No photoshopping please!
  • Time and Extensions
    o Each round will last for a ten day period.
    o Extensions are allowed, but there should be a valid excuse.
  • Questions
    o For the most part, this contest relies on people being honest. The more you adhere to the rules, the more fun it is for
    everyone. Try not to bend the rules; if you think you can exploit something, try not to – it ruins the game for everyone. If
    you want to make sure that what you’re doing is allowed, just ask down below and I, or someone else who has done
    these before, will help you out.

• Structure: 25 Points
    o Everything related to the physical building of the house is scored here! The following criteria are what we will
    be looking for in this category...
    ----->• Curb Appeal (front of the house)
    ----->• Structure as a Whole (sides and back of the house)
    ----->• Roofing
    ----->• Interior Layout
    ----->• Aesthetically Pleasing
  • Landscaping: 25 Points
    o Don't forget to make the yard look fitting, too. Gardens, driveways, terrain paint, and sculpting bring a lot of dimension
    to a house! Don't forget this important category!
    ----->• Is there landscaping?
    ----->• Does it fit the theme? (desert, lush, forest, etc.)
    ----->• Aesthetically Pleasing
  • Decorations: 25 Points
    o The inside is just as important, if not more important, than the outside. Make sure you keep these key points
    in mind for a high score!
    ----->• Space is Filled
    ----->• Good Flow (no stomping sims)
    ----->• Coherent Style
    ----->• Matching Colors
  • Presentation: 25 points
    o Now, you gotta show off your work! To get the last few points on your score, hit on these points for a guarenteed
    25 points!
    ----->• Pics at least 800x600
    ----->• Clear, Detailed Pics
    ----->• Detailed / Descriptive Post
  • Bonus Points: 20 points
    o These are awarded hit or miss. You either get all of the points or no points at all.
    o Is your house set to a theme? How neat!
    ----->• +5 bonus points
    o You took extra pictures and they are gorgeous! They show off the lot really well!
    ----->• +5 bonus points
    o WOW! Your lot was a standout all around! You really went the extra mile!
    ----->• +10 bonus points

Entering is simple! All you need to do is download the attached file labeled "Round 1" and complete it. Once you've done that, take
the required screenshots (posted above) and some bonus point screen shots (also above) and make an awesome post showing
your entry off!Since entry rounds are normally longer than the subsequent rounds, you will have 14 days to complete your lot and
enter it. After those two weeks, the judges and I will close off entries, give you the next foundation, start scoring your previous
round, and post the scores up for everyone to see!

If you'd like to be a judge, all you need to do is post your interest, say a few qualifications (like how awesome you are, any other
contests you might have participated in, other things you've judged, etc.) and I'll let you know if we need you or not! I'd like to have
a cap of five judges, unless there are a large amount of entrants.

Round 1 over!
SCORES

Round 2 over!
SCORES

Round 3 over!
SCORES

Round 4 over!
SCORES

Here is a list of scored contestants and their entries:

ContestantRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4
King_DeadlyBelinda GreenWorkCozy Elegance----
LeviniSpirit of Painted RopeSpirit of Glass and Shimmering Lights----
Bhanse1Villa di Lusso------
Elegant RubbleSunflower GroveClearwaterStudent RentalYou Can Take the House out of the City
Fairycake89Mrs. Miggins' Pie and Bread ShopCastawayGramaryeArrivederci Morgana!
FuzzlechanAurora AbodeGraduation Place----
AisquaredStrictly for SinglesPondside RetreatWood and Stone ModernStrictly for Richer Singles
SionelleAlessandro's ElixirsZoolie's Interstellar CantinaHong Kong Highrise PenthouseKhizanat Kutub al-Hikma
DiwtayGarden SiestaOpen Concept Split LevelA Fairy/Elven Forest HomeGrimm's Mansion
RikachuFancy Titles------
P13579oddsGrandma's Country Cottage------
JermanBrick 3 StoryGrandma's House----
Mandimoo33Feels Like Home------
LucyBorgiaArtist's CottageOld Dressmaker's HouseSearching for SurfQuarry House
LewjenStill LovedHidden in the TreesSprung Up--
ElephantsSusanna's Place------
Rosebud1773Modern BlissModest LuxuryColonial Cottage--
Mage4DragonsTower HouseLouisa's LuxuryHill Top ManorSpider Cube
AuronetteSummer Breeze------
CutsocksSerho Concept Cottage Model #46An Occidental OrientationCarnegie LibraryAlvarez-Rosenthal House
VolvenomBrick Hipster------
ArmielSonate to Pink BushesAutumn ColorsColors and Bushes--
ArchitectlingsDissoudre le Béton------
Miles2007The Franconia Cottage------
ReyaDMeadow Family Home------
Beccapixie10The ArdmonaMoonshadowSimmington State LibraryTaylor Family Home
SimsgirliexdBaie Blomme------
MorgaroniIl Gardino CineseSweetwater LoopThe Modern Beach House--
EvairanceBlack White and Red------
BuckleyStandpretty Cottage------
SahmormakmomMom and Pop's GlenThe InheritanceLazy Afternoon Abandoned Airstrip RND4
AdonisPlutoWitzenhausen TudorDagressi ModernLittle Modern--
TaesangPounawea House------
OhthatsimschickOld English Cottage------
Yogi-TeaThe Canary HouseDragonhill CastleMoonbase BetaThe Village Holiday Resort
quileutegirlTiny Tudor Farmhouse------
NaiyasFurySuburban PrideDerelict and DecrepitCountry Manor Vineyard and NectaryA Fisherman's Dream
DreamfoilMiddle of NowhereMiddle of Nowhere 2Middle of Nowhere 3Middle of Nowhere 4
PoundingheartThe Simple Cottage------
SunnaieSunny Side Up!------
IsteffensimladyHiding in Plain SightHiding in the MountainsThe Woodword Porterson Mansion--
Klf1The Border HooseOriental Re-OrientationIl Casa Per LibreThe Horse / Inheritance / Bookcase
Klf1Designer Dream------
Deluxe DesignsNo.3 Plimco DriveDwindling WaterKhadija--
SatiDelennGrandma's HouseRuins of the MotherThe Bear Pitt--
SoulofsilenceReflection PondRelictus Castle----
MissroxorMid-Century MiniYe Olde Witch's CottagePapa Mario's Italian Bistro and Coffee Shop--
SaramaaGlade Road 114Kate's HouseThe Pastel DreamElements
SlkjdfvBasic Family HomeCabin in the Woods----
IshigreenSANursery Friendly HomeThree LevelsSimlan ChurchThe Science Station Lab
MarbiBright'n BlueModest ModernStonehurst--
Creativemommy1985The First ModernChocolate Slice----
SaiyruThe Greengrass------
HedfonezXZen GardensOld World CharmThe Cargo Van--
CragglesCosy Little Cottage------
Nanette37Cozy River Cottage-------
FenisaSimple Beach House------
FukothepixieOn The Breeze15 Mercedes BendsTerrace Vineyard--
Fairycake89Villa Contento------
SlkjdfvModern Bachelor Pad------
TamlynCabin in the WoodsThe Dorothy Lane Centre for ArtsVictorianaOld Warehouse
Klaarjte68Primrose FarmG.A.T.E. ModernThree CherriesStonehill Cottage
HarlequinduskHumble Family Abode------
FenisaFamily Beach House------
Menaceman44Greens and BluesAqua Fitness Activity CentreMystery ManorSupporting Cubix
GogolinopzFairytale RetreatTudor for TwoLa Hacienda LocaBayview House
Qnshr5Call of the Wild-ishArdin NectaryBoarding School HouseMediterranean Knock-Off
WriterChickShabby Chic Second Empire------
SaramaaSwedish Country Home------
SelarocheMy First Competition------
CocoliThe Lonely RedThe Inspiring AbodeThe Bloody Manor--
KmoldovanWeeping RosesCherry Manor----
KahemehChalet EncombreTabloid DreamLighthall HouseThe Old New Barn
InvisibleturtleSweethavenPirate CastawayRazzle DazzledMother of Invention
SulyukiCountry HomeCasa Alla CascataMerton ManorGrandviews
FenisaWriter's RetreatBlue in the MountainsHidden in the TreesFireman's Loft
CrinuryModern Gingerbread Formal------
CharmedqueenJavanut Cafe------
Yogi-teaAcademy of Sun Shangxiang------
AjabileneVista BreezeECOasisForsyte ManorCelebrity Beach Mansion
Aeval99FrankencottageThe Vinter's CottageHacienda Hell--
NanatoanaFrench BluesCountry BlueMountain BlueAzul Espana
SnailpasteWillow CottageAlmost BoathouseOceans EdgeUnderhill Home
Matts_DadMiniModern464 Shoreline Drive251 Foothill Drive56 Oceanview Drive
Morphead35 McDougal DriveOxford Hitch's Modern Craftsman----
Rosebud1773Victorian Summer------
jhd1189The Professor's HouseThe Dornish Water GardensAmazon Theatre--
kmoldovanGrandma's Haven------
Tee Hee HeeAriocarpusThe Knott ResidenceThe Finnspiration Center--
Electra225Bamboo GroveLost Temple of the StarsBlue House--
Aree25 Left Ave.------
SilenscupioModern Writer's RetreatBirchwood----
lace_and_metalJust in Time------
ReyaDBleepBlaine's Legacy House----
snailpasteThe Beached Bachelor------

Here is a list of late-comers who still made wonderful entries. They will not be scored, but check them out anyway!
PlayerRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4
Jones7659Fairie Fields Coffee House------
Wittymore123Oak Lullaby------
_Phae_Prescott Street 22A------
PlirtooBeach Home------
FinnKid----Robottien kotitalo--

Here is a list of judges and stuff:

1 - Qbuilderz
2 - PlayinSafe
3 - Seemyu
4 - TVRdesigns
5 - BlakeS5678
6 - GigaRevival

The judges scores will be kept anonymous through the whole competition so you guys don't attack them. Much like
last time, they will be assigned a color on a Google docs sheet, they'll fill out the scores, the averages will be calculated
and posted here on this post. Last time, it was a bit messy, and I aim to keep it simple and easy to do this time
around for both the participants and the contestants.

Answered Questions

Participant Resources

ModYourPanties -- You can use this site to host images as long as you have an MTS account.
Advice on Picture Taking -- A hint from AdonisPluto on taking grid-free pictures.
Armiel's Builder's Island -- A flat, quick loading world that makes the challenge lots easy to access.
The Building Blocks Foundation Challenge Thread -- Can be used for some quick ideas and as a guide to see what's to come.
vB Code List -- Learn some stuff to make your post nice and tidy.

Additional Credits:
Entrants to my previous challenge -- you guys were awesome!
The creators and their intellectual property I used to make the banners up there ^^^
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Round 1.zip (426.0 KB, 483 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Round 2.zip (532.6 KB, 223 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Round 3.zip (661.4 KB, 176 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Round 4.zip (655.3 KB, 149 downloads) - View custom content

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Advertisement
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 5:38 PM
Contest Approved
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 8:50 PM
Checking in, everybody. I just need to find where I put that first foundation file and we can get this started :D

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#4 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 8:58 PM
Hey is this for sims2 and 3? or just sims3?

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by karen lorraine
Hey is this for sims2 and 3? or just sims3?

Unfortunately, I only have TS3 installed on my computer at this point in time, so this will be a TS3 competition only. Sorry for the inconvenience

Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 9:26 PM
ok, but it's not very clear from your blurb which game it's for. Pity cos it looks like fun but i'm a sims 2 builder.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 9:36 PM
I apologize once again for misleading you -- I have updates the title and first paragraph to be more clear to avoid this from happening again

Alchemist
#8 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 9:37 PM
That is a shame, was hoping it was going to be sims 2 as well!

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Interstellar Traveler
#9 Old 17th Jul 2013 at 10:10 PM
Ooo! This looks like fun! I'd love to be a judge! Since my contest just ended, I have free space to do so!

Formally SeeMyu | Retired Mod
Forum Resident
#10 Old 18th Jul 2013 at 1:30 AM
Hey Q! Sounds great!
If you need another judge, please sign me up.

Qualifications: judge [Building Blocks] & participated in at least 2 other contest

PS- I love that you used pics from previous contest entries. That's really nice!
The other one
#11 Old 19th Jul 2013 at 8:45 AM
I'm certain it's just me being dim because it's way past my bed time already but I'm not seeing the attachment :/ Sounds fun, I'll need to see if I can squeeze in some time somewhere to give it a shot
Forum Resident
#12 Old 20th Jul 2013 at 1:48 AM
You're not all dim, missroxor. The foundation file's hiding from Q (post #3).
The other one
#13 Old 20th Jul 2013 at 6:44 AM
Haha, so I was being a little dim then Thanks for pointing that out, I must've just read the checking in bit and skimmed past the rest of that post
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Jul 2013 at 9:41 PM Last edited by QBUILDERZ : 21st Jul 2013 at 10:12 PM.
Goddamnit! I could've sworn...ugh.

Give me 5 minutes, I need to switch computers.

Edit -- it is up! Now, I'mma go advertise a bit

Field Researcher
#15 Old 21st Jul 2013 at 10:38 PM
Hey Q, I'll put my name in for judge. Obviously if we have to list qualifications... haha. I dunno. I build them? Pretty well, I would think.

I didn't see you there. Hello. *runs* | Visit my CFF World thread
Field Researcher
#16 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 12:00 AM
Does round 1 have a particular theme? If so, I must have missed it. If not, then I take it this is just "build on this foundation", correct?
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jaguwar
Does round 1 have a particular theme? If so, I must have missed it. If not, then I take it this is just "build on this foundation", correct?

Yes, R1 was going to have a gimmick, but I decided against it. Nice and straight forward for round 1!

Field Researcher
#18 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 12:34 AM
Excellent, thank you!
Test Subject
#19 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 12:39 AM
I think I might be on the slow side when I ask this: are things from the expansion packs allowed to be used?
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by InkSketch
I think I might be on the slow side when I ask this: are things from the expansion packs allowed to be used?

Of course! Use everything you've got if you'd like!

Scholar
#21 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 12:56 AM
I know this is a really long shot, and it's unlikely. But, would love to be a judge if you'll have me. While I don't necessarily meet the qualifications I have been building houses for The Sims since 2005 and have experience, (I play The Sims 2 and 3 all the time to this day) , in no way am I saying I'm perfect though. I have ton of time on my hands and it really would be a total honor if I could help out.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
I know this is a really long shot, and it's unlikely. But, would love to be a judge if you'll have me. While I don't necessarily meet the qualifications I have been building houses for The Sims since 2005 and have experience, (I play The Sims 2 and 3 all the time to this day) , in no way am I saying I'm perfect though. I have ton of time on my hands and it really would be a total honor if I could help out.

You seem really passionate about the game and I really like that! Sure! I'd love to have your help

Scholar
#23 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by QBUILDERZ
You seem really passionate about the game and I really like that! Sure! I'd love to have your help

Thank you so much, I guess I was really enthusiastic sounding.

Test Subject
#24 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 1:27 AM
is there a preferred world/lot for this?...not sure if i saw anything saying that..
Scholar
#25 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunnaie
is there a world/lot for this?...not sure if i saw anything saying that..

Sunset Valley may be a good choice seeing as it has lots of flat area that can be used and looks pretty generic, but you can choose anything you want really. If you have a certain theme in mind you could choose a world that corresponds with that theme, all in all only your lots will be judged so it's not that important.

Page 1 of 59