Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th May 2017 at 9:49 AM
Default object editing
hello

this is my first time posting a question thread in modding discussion

so basically I want to edit some object (decor) particularly the shape so I can use it for my pose, my question is how to edit the .package file wether using milkshape or blender (preferably blender since I used blender for pose making)

I don't understand the mesh or anything like that (duh..) I just want to edit the shape of certain object, can it be done? would be nice if someone could tell me how

ps: I already following the tutorial for object creation by orangemittens, but sadly it's way beyond my ability
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 4th May 2017 at 9:56 PM Last edited by Greenplumbbob : 5th May 2017 at 11:44 AM.
Considered the fact that most object tutorials seems to be quite hard to follow due to most of the easy ones' being deleted, I'm working on one myself.

However, guess that's gonna take a while before I'll release it. I think you know the basics of Blender already, which makes it probably easier to follow some tutorials! Again, this is a Sims 4 conversion tutorial but very helpful!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1a...youtu.be&t=2m7s

Let me know if there's something you're unsure about! :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th May 2017 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
Considered the fact that most object tutorials seems to be quite hard to follow due to most of the éasy ones' being deleted, I'm working on one myself.

However, guess that's gonna take a while before I'll release it. I think you know the basics of Blender already, which makes it probably easier to follow some tutorials! Again, this is a Sims 4 conversion tutorial but very helpful!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1a...youtu.be&t=2m7s

Let me know if there's something you're unsure about! :D

your tutorial is how to get the mesh from sims 4 object (s4package) using sims 4 studio into .blend file, but how can I do that from sims 3 .package file?

I knew how to import package file but only as a prop for rigging pose, as I wrote before, I don't understand those meshes things (duh... )
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 5th May 2017 at 11:48 AM
Hmm it's a interesting progress, which doesn't refer to a Blend file at all! (well besides saving your meshed stuff of course :P) Basically what I do, is open the cloned object you want in TSRW. like, a reference. Then, when it loaded, go to the Mesh tab and then click the box icon with the red arrow pointing outwards.

Now by default this is set to 'workshop object WSO. (in the window where you direct it to a place on your computer where you wanna save it). Switch this to 'waterfront Obj. instead.

And finally you can import it into Blender by going to the FIle> import> waterfront obj. And tada! A mesh! It doesn't have bones though but this will be explained in the vid tutorial I showed you! ^-^
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th May 2017 at 3:54 AM
Hmm it's a interesting progress, which doesn't refer to a Blend file at all! (well besides saving your meshed stuff of course :P) Basically what I do, is open the cloned object you want in TSRW. like, a reference. Then, when it loaded, go to the Mesh tab and then click the box icon with the red arrow pointing outwards.

Now by default this is set to 'workshop object WSO. (in the window where you direct it to a place on your computer where you wanna save it). Switch this to 'waterfront Obj. instead.

And finally you can import it into Blender by going to the FIle> import> waterfront obj. And tada! A mesh! It doesn't have bones though but this will be explained in the vid tutorial I showed you! ^-^

I finally got the mesh (exporting it with TSRW into wavefront object) and I can import it into blender, I followed your tutorial but the problem is after I exported it from milkshape into TSRW objects (wso) in order to import the edited mesh with TSRW from the original custom object (package file) with my edited mesh, it says import failed,

did I make any mistake??? I didn't edit the texture or anything because I only want to edit the shape of the object, I assigned the joint according to original object but it still failed whyyyyy
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 6th May 2017 at 11:27 AM
Okay... so you opened the package file of the download you wanna edit right? After that, you imported it as a WSO and not as a obj file in TSRW, right? And added the bones in Milkshape I hope?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th May 2017 at 12:20 PM
Okay... so you opened the package file of the download you wanna edit right? After that, you imported it as a WSO and not as a obj file in TSRW, right? And added the bones in Milkshape I hope?

yeah, so after I edited the object with blender I exported the file into wavefront object (I checked both the "selection only" and "write materials" option) and then I imported the .obj files into milkshape, but I only made one .obj file since I didn't edit or tweak the material or texture (only the shape, just moving position. the vertices and faces) after that I renamed the group to "group_0" because the original object only has one group (group_0), and then I imported the object's original .obj file into milkshape and assign the joint or bones (I don't know if that the same thing? ) finally I exported the files into TSRW (.wso) file and I open TSRW and the create new object and new import using the original object so I can import the edited mesh into it, BUT... when I tried to import it says

Import failed
could not update swiffleinformation for mlodentry, 2214 vertices, 4228 faces

but if I tried to import into let's say rug object, it works!!, I exported into sims3pack files and I convert t into package file and I install it but in the game it becomes RUG!!! not the original object (the orignal object is blanket) I tought it could work if I use rug but it's not I don't which part where I made a mistake or did I skipped any step??
Virtual gardener
#8 Old 6th May 2017 at 12:55 PM
Sounds to me like your did everything right. You did edit the name in Milkshape though right and not in Blender? The 'group_0' thingy.?

However, the error happens to show up a lot whenever you use the latest TSRW version. If you do have that one, I'd try downgrading: http://greenplumbboblover.tumblr.co...005426/tsrw-172

What if you import it though? The original package, as in Create new project>New import> Click packcage/sims3pack (Of course you need to switch from TSRW WRK to Package/sims3pack ^- ~) And see what happens ^-^
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th May 2017 at 1:53 PM
What if you import it though? The original package, as in Create new project>New import> Click packcage/sims3pack (Of course you need to switch from TSRW WRK to Package/sims3pack ^- ~) And see what happens ^-^

how do you do that? converting TRSW work file into package or sims3pack? blender or milkshape don't have that option, an I did downgrading my TSRW but the problem still persist

I tought in order to create the new edite sims3pack or package you have to import the edited mesh into the original or reference object, is it possible to directly converting the TSRW from milkshape into sims3pack?
Virtual gardener
#10 Old 6th May 2017 at 4:10 PM
Oh nono I mean Their Package or sims3pack, you want to open up theirs This will be your reference, so you don't have to replace all your textures and such.

However, if you are done and you want to export your own project. You can either go to File> export> sims3pack. Or edit>Project contents and then in the next window>export.

If you want me to take a look that's totally fine too! So I can see what's going on, and explain you what you're doing wrong ^- ~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th May 2017 at 3:19 AM
Oh nono I mean Their Package or sims3pack, you want to open up theirs This will be your reference, so you don't have to replace all your textures and such.

However, if you are done and you want to export your own project. You can either go to File> export> sims3pack. Or edit>Project contents and then in the next window>export.

If you want me to take a look that's totally fine too! So I can see what's going on, and explain you what you're doing wrong ^- ~

ahhh... thank you!! here I put it in my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9a4nxywki...lanket.rar?dl=0

there are 4 folders in there for every step that I followed from your tutorial, that would be from original file to milkshape step
realllllyyyyy appreciate if you can find where the heck did I make a mistake
Virtual gardener
#12 Old 7th May 2017 at 2:22 PM
You sir, are one organised person! not that I mind, I usually set up my folders like that as well.

Anyways, apparently the error wasn't your fault, but the person who made the blanket. Seems like they deleted some MODL data that they really shouldn't have deleted in the first place, which I won't bother you with. So in your case, using their package isn't going to work out nicely. I would use/clone the cowplant sculpture instead and import the mesh you just exported in there. Oh and replacing all the textures! Not sure if you're familiar with importing textures and such? You can export their textures through S3PE though so you don't have to boost it up with TSRW in order to get all the needed textures ^- ~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th May 2017 at 3:51 PM
You sir, are one organised person! not that I mind, I usually set up my folders like that as well.

Anyways, apparently the error wasn't your fault, but the person who made the blanket. Seems like they deleted some MODL data that they really shouldn't have deleted in the first place, which I won't bother you with. So in your case, using their package isn't going to work out nicely. I would use/clone the cowplant sculpture instead and import the mesh you just exported in there. Oh and replacing all the textures! Not sure if you're familiar with importing textures and such? You can export their textures through S3PE though so you don't have to boost it up with TSRW in order to get all the needed textures ^- ~

I haven't tried it yet, I will ( I'm currently stuck making power point presentation for my thesis presentation duh... ) but I just curious why cowplant? isn't cowplant has two group (group_0 and group_1) won't it reject my imported mesh (my edited mesh only has one group) and won't it happen like when I imported it into the rug object (the shapes became weird and the position is on the floor not on the bed) I had an Idea before using other custom blanket object (nadegata blanket) but it didn't work too

this modding thing is really killing me...
Virtual gardener
#14 Old 7th May 2017 at 9:00 PM
Oh wait yeah the 2 groups thing, you can delete 'group' one though! By just right click>delete on it. Do make sure it's the shadow (Black plane) Thing! Ther eason why you wanna use the cowplant is because it's a recolourable decor piece.

By the way, I won't be around for about 3 days, so just so you know i'm not ignoring you! ^- ~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th May 2017 at 1:28 PM Last edited by bluehazard : 8th May 2017 at 3:06 PM.
Oh wait yeah the 2 groups thing, you can delete 'group' one though! By just right click>delete on it. Do make sure it's the shadow (Black plane) Thing! Ther eason why you wanna use the cowplant is because it's a recolourable decor piece.

By the way, I won't be around for about 3 days, so just so you know i'm not ignoring you! ^- ~

I tried with the cowplant and it didn't work, the shape is wrong, some part are missing and kinda distorted, this is getting into hopeless case

maybe this modding thing is way beyond me, but I'll keep trying to experiment with it, see if it works with another object, btw thanks for the help , I'll give you heads up if it works
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th May 2017 at 3:07 PM
HEYY!! it works!!!! I downloaded and used another blanket object and replace it with my mesh, it WORKS!!!! it's ALIVE!! (damn, I sounds like dr. frankestein ) thanks a lot for your help
Virtual gardener
#17 Old 11th May 2017 at 1:53 PM