Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 9:14 PM
Default Do you listen to music while you sleep?
For the past few months I've been putting soothing music on repeat while I sleep and I was curious whether anyone else does the same.

I listen to 2 specific songs on repeat for no other reason except that I like them. The songs are "River Flows In You" by Yiruma, it's a beautiful piano song. The other one is "Canon in D, Piano and Violin Duet".

♫ She's got sunset on her breath, I inhaled just a little bit now I got no fear of death ♫
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 10:43 PM
I do that too. I have a CD - Arthur Rubinstein "Nocturne" - a compilation of classical pieces. I've listened to it for so long that I associate it with sleeping now. The first one is Chopin Nocturne Op.27/2. and I usually don't make it through the second one - Nights in the Gardens of Spain.
Test Subject
#3 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 11:44 PM
Pffft. I listen to Five Finger Death Punch and any other songs I have in my playlist. It actually helps me sleep surprisingly.
Instructor
#4 Old 17th Mar 2014 at 11:46 PM
I used to when I was younger, but now I don't. Any noise beyond what I'm used to (cars outside and general urban white noise) just keeps me awake instead of putting me to sleep, unless I'm really tired.

my tumblr - sim pics and downloads
my dreamwidth - ts2 downloads
linkdecrypter - bypass adfly and other harmful pay per click download link hiders
Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th Mar 2014 at 10:41 AM
I have a very difficult time falling asleep with music. It interferes with my thoughts. If music is playing as I wake, it influences my dreams. I do better with a blank slate.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#6 Old 18th Mar 2014 at 11:20 AM
If the definition of music is loose enough to include my neighbours yelling at their kids 'Get in the fucking bath!', then yeah, there's music every weeknight.

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Mad Poster
#7 Old 18th Mar 2014 at 3:13 PM
I need a quiet, dark, cool room and no noises, otherwise I can't sleep well.

If I'm influenced by something (movie, music, sounds, or just thoughts) I tend to get very vivid dreams, and often wake up in the middle of the night. I also react to noises while I'm trying to fall asleep (particularly snoring), and while I'm very tired I just can't seem to fall asleep until I'm completely exhausted, which might take a few hours if it's bad enough.
Test Subject
#8 Old 19th Mar 2014 at 2:52 AM
simmer22: I'm the same way, have to have total darkness and quiet to fall asleep, and I often have nightmares that wake me up. I live less than a block away from two different railroad crossings, two doors down from a bar, and have a boyfriend who snores, sleeptalks, and sleepwalks, so you can imagine how well rested I usually am...

I do have friends who absolutely can't fall asleep without music playing, or who have to have a nightlight of some kind. I wonder how we all form those different preferences?
Field Researcher
#9 Old 19th Mar 2014 at 3:21 AM
I used to need music on to fall asleep when living in dorms at college to drown out the background hum of people. But living at the top of a dead-end street, it's reasonably quiet, and I prefer falling asleep to voices talking. So I tend to find a west coast baseball game, or if that's not in season, I put a familiar movie or my YouTube MST3K playlist on repeat.

I've never noticed strange or unusually vivid dreams from any of it. The only thing that seems to disrupt my normal dreaming is taking a Benadryl. Then I end up taking a bullet for Shannen Doherty or some weird shit. I've actually had that dream twice...I don't know, brain.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Mar 2014 at 1:11 AM
It's interesting what you were saying about falling asleep to the sound of voices. That I can do. Turn on a TV and I konk out. If I have a radio alarm, the best setting for me is a news station so I'll wake up to someone else's conversation. Music just always gets into my head somehow and voices I can listen to or tune out as I please.

Haha - the Benadryl. Sounds about right

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Mar 2014 at 3:25 AM
If I'm tired enough, I can fall asleep anywhere, no matter the place or the level of noise. Used to fall asleep on the bathroom floor when I was younger, and I often fall asleep on the couch in front of the TV if I'm tired enough, but I'm not one of those who needs a booming loud volume on the TV, so the noise isn't very bothersome (I prefer a volume loud enough to hear but low enough to not disturb anyone else, and that goes for music as well - I've had roommates who turn their music up loud, open the door so the music can be heard in the entire house, and then they go take a shower - but my usual TV-volume can't be heard at all once you're outside the room with the door closed. I use headphones for music unless I know I'm alone or I just want some background noise).

But if I'm not tired enough to fall asleep at once, everything disturbs. This morning I was woken up at 10 am by someone sawing down the walls in the other end of the house (renovation because of leakages), and it was plain impossible to go back to sleep. But mom insisted the work on the walls started 8 am, so I've most likely slept through some of the noise. I'm a deep sleeper, I guess...