Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 7:23 AM
Default Running a Hospital - How Do You Play It?
A few of my 'hoods are ready for hospitals/small clinics that can (of course) cure and house sick Sims. I'm a bit lost on how to play them though, so I'm looking for some feedback/advice from other players. It will be played residential, and I would really love to have Sims who rarely leave their beds (from weakness, sleepiness, etc.), so how do you do it? What are your rules? How do you simulate a working hospital?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 1:53 PM
Hiya ;-)

I use a mod on MATY called real sickness as well as IngeJones´Prison Core mod here.

With this mod, when a Sim gets sick, it is often very dangerous and potentially fatal. As soon as the popup about the illness comes up, I leave the lot and switch to my hospital, which is owned by a Sim, the doctor.

I summon the infected Sim via the Prison Core Mod, and he receives a token so he stays in the hospital and doesn´t wander around in the town.

You could probably lock the Sim inside the room, but I let mine walk around. The hospital has all the nice amenities I could think of, like a whirlpool, TV, kitchen, comfortable beds, chairs and sofas, because the higher the comfort, the higher the recovery rate.

To add more suspense, I do absolutely nothing for three Sim days, and don´t control the Sim. He is free to do what he wants. Sometimes, the doctor who runs the hospital cooks for the patient, but this is it (except when I cheated with a really beloved Sim, he received additional massages).

If the Sim survives, he receives a dose of Sunni´s vial of health that brings him back to health, and he gets released. Most Sims seem to survive this harsh treatment, but sadly Beau Broke was not one of them. It made for an interesting storyline, though :-)

Other mods I use in addition:

CJ-FrequentDiseaseProcessing here

SW-Maximum-Strength-Disinfectant-Part-1
SW-Maximum-Strength-Disinfectant-Part-2

The latter two from Simwardrobe are important because my doctors tend to contract the diseases quite frequently, too, and those help disinfecting the hospital. The doctors need to use the vial of health, often, also.

Since some of these mods are hard to find these days, I put them all in a zip, which can be downloaded here

All credit goes to the lovely creators for their mods!

I also included a file named medizinschrank_mod.package, which is a medicine cabinet from Shaklin, maybe? And the biotechfix from Pescado.

Hope this helps?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 2:18 PM
I use the hospital mod here. http://www.backalleysims.com/adults...Hospital-Births It lets you send both sick sims and pregnant sims to hospital.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 2:25 PM
I've never run a hospital, but when I decide on a premature birth I simulate the Sim leaving for hospital by calling a BV taxi so they walk out carrying a bag. Then I quit without saving, use a modded object to make them give birth, and then set them up to walk back home from the mailbox. I document my game with screenshots so I can look back at what happened later on, and that method lets me have shots that suggest leaving pregnant, and coming back home with a baby, even if they didn't actually leave the lot. Too lazy to use BV taxi for the coming home, but one could use it again to make the bag appear this time too.

Not very useful for regular gameplay, but if anyone likes to stage pictures you could use it for patients leaving the hospital.

I feel like I've heard something about beds and Sims staying in them when sick, but I can't remember if it was an actual object/mod, or if it was someone looking for one. Darn taunting vague memories

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 3:51 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Nov 2017 at 4:20 PM.
I only use hospitals for stories and pictures, so I don't mind if the hospital doesn't actually work. I run mine as regular residential lots with the staff and some extra patients living there, along with a few lots with extra sims if need be. The "patients", "doctors" and "nurses" are just sims dressed up as such, though I have several sims with different hairs/skins/clothes for each clothing category so they can look like different people - quite useful so as not to clutter up the neighborhood too much. If I need characters to come to the hospital, I just use a summoning mod. I don't use story progression of any kind, so I don't save the hospital lots unless I do structural or decoration changes (usually the first thing I do).
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:00 PM
Wow, thanks for the options and opinions on how you guys run a hospital. Not sure which option I want to make use of, but everything sounds exciting. Perhaps I'll have some 'hoods do a more personally run hospital and others have the Hospital Mod. VERY interesting and thank you all again for the links! :lovestruc
Mad Poster
#7 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldenbtrfly
Wow, thanks for the options and opinions on how you guys run a hospital. Not sure which option I want to make use of, but everything sounds exciting. Perhaps I'll have some 'hoods do a more personally run hospital and others have the Hospital Mod. VERY interesting and thank you all again for the links! :lovestruc

If you are interested in the hospital mod make sure that you download it quickly as BAS is shutting down on the 1st of December.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 2:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
If you are interested in the hospital mod make sure that you download it quickly as BAS is shutting down on the 1st of December.

Thanks for the reminder, Charity. I just made sure to do that.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 6:17 PM
Does a Clinic count?

It's pretty simple. I have one doctor that goes out into the lobby to welcome patients. He'll offer them a massage on the massage table since that works as a medical exam. Most of the time my sims are pretty happy with that and leave feeling better. My doctor gets paid for the massage. Other sims that are actually sick will get a massage and may be gifted with a bowl of grandma's soup.

I have a few items from PCSims also, but most of the time, my sims get health exams.

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AliaD85
Does a Clinic count?

It's pretty simple. I have one doctor that goes out into the lobby to welcome patients. He'll offer them a massage on the massage table since that works as a medical exam. Most of the time my sims are pretty happy with that and leave feeling better. My doctor gets paid for the massage. Other sims that are actually sick will get a massage and may be gifted with a bowl of grandma's soup.

I have a few items from PCSims also, but most of the time, my sims get health exams.

That's so cute for a small clinic! I have a tiny town where that sounds like something the residents would do. Thanks for the great idea.

You all are so creative!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 7:34 PM
I've run a hospital before (using Chris' older hospital mod) and now I'm running a 'clinic' which is where doctors can go to do day surgeries and teeth stuff (Katy PC Sims dentist set). They make good money, and sometimes gain a skill point or two.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 11:23 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 18th Nov 2017 at 11:24 AM.
Coral Bay Clinic (now probably small hospital.)
I play this as a residential lot. It's being slowly built up. Right now it has a waiting room, pharmacy, doctor office, isolation ward, a shared ward, pyc area, research room. Upstairs is now maternity along with their house rooms. I don't have room for more and don't really want to go larger because it would start to lag.

I have one doctor, one doctor in training, one nurse and one midwife. I let one sim represent many.

So I play this various ways. My doctor who is now chef of staff goes to the rabbit hole job once or twice a week. Other days she holds clinic where she sees patients. I do this by running the place as a home business. The only way I have found to get them to her office is lock the door and move them in there. I do this to any sim not looking to buy something at the pharmacy who is merely hanging around. Once in her office I make them selectable and have her use her pcsims doctor bag on them, make them check the eye chart or take a pregnancy test or just sit and talk.

At the same time I use the simlogical meeting controller to bring the nurse and midwife to the office/pharmacy. I often have the nurse to man the front desk and write an article on Monique's computer or do some study there.

I bring sick sims to the isolation ward by Christianlov's transport mirror which temporarily moves them in. If you load up their home lot you would find them gone unlike other teleporters which often have an instance of the sim at both lots. I toss a prisoner tag into the sims inventory- do remember to take it out before ending them home.

I use to have a cryochamber which put sims in a kind of freeze state but I haven't used that here. My isolation ward is very homey with a private bathroom, bookcase and easel and I use a snap dragon to keep most moods up. I have not yet opened my phyc area, it's not finished. Once it is patients with mad cow disease or serious breakdowns will be able to be treated on that side. My diseases are generally funny. Made Cow disease means means wearing a cow suit and pranking people.

I bring some pregnant sims to the maternity unit to have their baby. Some pictures from last time I played.
I don't use real sickness or have anything dangerous happen here. I play for fun and my sims wellness since my sims all have pretty cushy lives apart from some poverty.
Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I don't have room for more and don't really want to go larger because it would start to lag.

I don't know what those words mean...

There is something to the aesthetic of a neighborhood clinic, but there's also something to the huge scale and institutional design of a huge regional hospital with many different departments and wings and whatnot, both from a design standpoint and a storytelling standpoint...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 1:39 AM
Yes but I actually play my buildings. Maybe one day when I have a machine that isn't 6 years old with a graphics card hanging on by a thread...

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 20th Jun 2022 at 1:31 AM
I might ise the simlogical prison system for an asylum for sims who need it or for sims sho need to be quarentined for sickness as my Pleasantview Epic Challenge takes place in the 17th century in the start and a lot of issues like cholera were around back then.It could even happen to colonists on the sailing ships intransit to the colony.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 20th Jun 2022 at 3:11 AM
Just missing my giant hospital lot, but probably need to scale it down a bit if I'm ever going to use it for screenshots again (that thing usually set off pink-flashing on my old desktop computer, pretty sure it's going to be even worse on my laptop...). It is technically not too bad when it comes to manuverability, though - I always decorate so sims can route somewhat properly, even if this lot was a giant nightmare, pun very much intended. Was a bit laggy, but it had a ton of CC and reached the wall limit, so no wonder

Sometimes I just think it's fun to decorate hospitals. So far I've made 5 different buildings with variations to the interior.

Most of the time I've used one of my older lots for storytelling, because it's less laggy and plays a lot better. I don't have to delete half the CC for it to run well, either...
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#18 Old 14th Jul 2022 at 7:52 AM
Is anyone using Chris Hatch's hospital mod? I cannot get it to work and don't know what is going wrong.