Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2011 at 4:32 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Cant get the Sims 3 to start
I would not consider myself a noob at this as I have had problems with games in the past and been able to fix them. I also have a few mods out for the Sims 3.

Recently I bought a new computer though because my old one was very laggy when I would play video games. My new computer has been working awesome and I have had no problems with the games I have played until now. I just tried installing the Sims3 for the first time and when I tried to launch the game it crashed. I got an error saying that d3dx9_31.dll is not working. I have reinstalled directx about three times now so I know my its up to date. My computer has more than enough specs to run the game especially compared to my old computer. I have read through some FAQs but for the most part they just said to re-install DirectX which isnt working. I did restart my computer after each time, I have also deleted all cache files that I had transferred over from my old computer so other than the data that comes with the game my computer has no other Sims stuff on it. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated and if you have any questions that might help you to help me I would be more than happy to answer them.

Sims

Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th May 2011 at 11:42 AM
That sounds suspiciously like it may be related to the old Program Files CC installation. Do you perhaps have an old copy of the d3dx9_31.dll file in the user files you transferred across? If you search your computer for it, does it pop up in any unexpected places?

Have you patched basegame? Which patch version is it on?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st May 2011 at 12:25 AM
When I transfered data from my computer I only moved over the user files for my account except for with a few games where I wanted to keep my save data, but no EA games were included in that. I have not patched the base game because the game wont do anything when I attempt to open it. My game has absolutely no custom content files, and I have done nothing to the sims folder in program files.

Sims

Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 2:59 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue.
    • Please post a Quick summary of your System Specs
      Instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.
    Please Do NOT post your complete DxDiag report in your thread.

• Sims 3 - Installing / Patching / Uninstalling
    1. Whether you are Installing for the first time or Reinstalling, be sure to read the Game Help:Installwiki FAQ.
      -
    2. This Game_Help:TS3_Uninstallwiki link has the step-by-step instructions to guide you through uninstalling The Sims 3,
      and its (EP/SP) packs. As well as removing any leftovers after uninstalling.
      -
    3. The Game_Help:TS3_Patchingwiki Guide provides information on:
      • Tips Before You Begin
      • Patching Common Errors
      • Manual Patch Downloads
      • Invalid File Errors and more

Did you move or just copy the User File information from the old computer to the new computer?
Did the game work ok before you moved the User Files?
What version of Directx do you currently have on the new computer? You can do the dxdiag report as shown in the guide above to check your version.

I tend to agree with whiterider that you may have copied/moved a file that you didnt need to. If you still have all the saved info on the old computer, it may be best for you to completely wipe out the game and any related info on the new computer and reinstall using the guides above. Test the game to make sure it works and generates User Files. Once that is done you can copy info from the old computer to the new one.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 8:27 PM Last edited by oykawoo : 1st Jun 2011 at 10:04 PM.
==System==

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110408-1633)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: FX6850
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 3135MB used, 13210MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

==Display==

Name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 440
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce GT 440
Approx. Total Memory: 4063 MB
Main Driver: nvd3dumx.dll, nvwgf2umx.dll, nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Version: 8.17.12.5933
Driver Date: 8/6/2010 11:43:0

==Sound==

Description: AT3265-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
Driver Name: nvhda64v.sys
Driver Version: 1.00.0015.0000 (English)
Date: 6/21/2010 15:07:36

==Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives==

Drive: C:
Free Space: 776.7 GB
Total Space: 935.3 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332

I had copied them but they were deleted shortly before my second post.
I did not try installing the game before I had copied the user files because I had moved them over to my new computer because I had moved over all my user data before installing any programs.
I have DX11

I though that sounded very possible but I removed all the userdata that I had moved over for the sims and I still cant get it to run. I am in the process right now of uninstalling the sims though and I will reinstall using the above guides and let you guys know if it worked or not.

EDIT: I uninstalled the sims, then deleted the sims3 folder in program files, (the one in my documents was deleted by me before uninstallation), then I restarted my computer and reinstalled the sims. Installation went smoothy as it did before. When I clicked on the icon to run the game though, I got the same error.

Sims

In the Arena
retired moderator
#6 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 3:56 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Sims 3 - Post Your Game Versions
    In order to help you we need more information on your game versions.
    If you need help finding what your game versions are see the links below:
    Please post the game version for each game that you have,
    (i.e. 1.12.70.006001 or 2.12.8.009017)
    • Base Game =
    • World Adventures =
    • High End Loft =
    • Ambitions =
    • Fast Lane =
    • Late Night =
    • Outdoor Living =

Let's try updating Windows to SP1 and graphics card driver.

You verified registry is free of Sims 3-related stuff before reinstalling?
Base game on version 1.0, vanilla, and unpatched doesn't load? Via Launcher? Tried Game Help:TS3 Bypassing the Launcherwiki ?
This is a disc copy? And did you install EADM when prompted?

So, if you search for that .dll file in your system, where is the location of the ones found?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 11:50 PM
I have Windows Service Pack2. My computer is only a month old.
The Sims 3 base game is at version 1.0.631, I have no other Sim games installed.
To the best of my ability I checked to see that there were no Sims related files before reinstalling. The files left over in my documents and in program files I deleted before reinstalling.
This is a disc copy, it opened fine on my laptop. I did install EADM when prompted the second time I installed the sims.
The only locations for it are on my external hard drive, and in the System32 and SysWOW64.

Sims

In the Arena
retired moderator
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 7:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by oykawoo
I have Windows Service Pack2.
You have an in with M$ft? Win 7 SP1 was only released Feb 2011, and your OS build 7600 shows that that is Win 7 retail version. Have you updated the Nvidia drivers?

Uninstall EADM.
Follow the guide to uninstalling and reinstalling werismyki posted to the letter, please, and then report back.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jun 2011 at 9:23 AM
Sorry I was thinking my old computer, its on XP.

Alright, just updated to SP1, and the Nvidia drivers.
I uninstalled EADM.
I followed the guide on uninstalling and reinstalling exactly, the only part I did not do was the advanced section of the registry cleanup. I did do the basic though.

I reinstalled the Sims 3 and no luck. Im still having the same error.
If it helps any, the error I get is when I try to launch the Sims 3 from the TS3 icon in program files. When I just launch the launcher it tells me that it stopped working.

Sims

In the Arena
retired moderator
#10 Old 4th Jun 2011 at 4:26 AM
Do the basic meaning you used CCleaner? Or not?

You're installing with default settings or customized?
Skip EADM when prompted.
Let the game generate user folders when you launch it the first time, yes? None of the old machine's files are around anymore?

In the DVD main (or root) folder of the game, where the "Sims3setup.exe" is, there is "skuversion.txt" file, open it and post the contents.

DirectX errors still tells me it is something to do with graphics drivers. You downloaded the correct version for 64-bit Windows 7 of DirectX runtime and drivers, correct?
Post a new system specs, too please.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 6:13 AM
Yes sorry by basic I mean useing CCleaner, exactly as instructed.

Default settings. Skipped EADM. I have no user folders but the game will not generate them because it will not launch. No, absolutely none of the old computers files relating to the sims are on this computer.

GameVersion = 1.0.631.00001
Code:0.DL-0.0.11195
Asset:1.Content.Devtest.1397
Thumbnails:1.Thumbnail.dl.933
TCC:1.TCC.dl.1209
CiderVersion#002432

I downloaded a nvidia program that downloaded the correct updated files for me and I installed them.

==System==

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model FX6850
Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 2254MB used, 14091MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

==Display==

Name: NVIDIA GeForce GT440
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce GT 440
Approx. Total Memory: 4063
Main Driver: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Version: 8.17.12.7533
Driver Date: 5/24/11 11:09:12 PM

==Sound==

Description: AT3265-1 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
Driver Name: nvhda64v.sys
Driver Version: 1.02.0023.0003 (English)
Date: 5/24/2011 23:09:17

==Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives==

Drive: C:
Free Space: 791.9 GB
Total Space: 935.3 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332

Sims

In the Arena
retired moderator
#12 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 10:45 AM
OK, let's just patch to 1.22 manually. The specs looked good.
Link in the Patching wiki werismyki provided under "Patch Downloads" Heading. If you haven't come across that guide before, I'd advise to do a read through once before starting to patch. Be warned the file is huge, @650mb.

This is the first time installing this game on this machine? Doesn't bode well for it, does it, even if it is a quad-core.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 12:50 PM
Ive patched it according to the directions but still no luck. Im still coming up with the exact same error. Ive installed it on this machine about 4 times now this week but all with the same results. Prior to that though this game has never been installed on this computer.

No it doesnt and I dont see any reason why. The computer is more than capable of running the game and it does fine with other games. Im still having the dll error though and I dont know how to fix it other than ways I have already tried.

Sims

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#14 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 2:29 PM
I had this same error trying to install Photoshop 64bit, have you updated/installed directX?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en

I believe the one you want is the first one, the directX Redist. You may need to uninstall the game then install directX and reinstall.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#15 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 4:41 PM
Have you done the DEP step as shown in Game_Help:Crash_workaroundswiki?
Another tool to see what is being loaded is Process_Monitor.

If reinstalling DirectX again didn't work, and the above 2 steps also don't work, it may be time to examine conflicting software.

What Security (Firewall/Antivirus/Spyware/Malware etc) programs or other monitoring (backup / syncing) programs are running in the background?
What runs automatically on Startup?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 1:16 AM
I downloaded and updated directX, not with the file you suggested though. I downloaded directX Redist, is it a manual install because if not I have no idea what to do with it, even if it is manual, im kinda confused.

I cant do the DEP because the sims doesnt run...anything at all. As soon as i click the icon to open it, it tells me it has crashed. The program doesnt even begin to open for me so the game isnt able to create any files. In my documents there is no Sims3 folder.

I also tried ProcessMonitor but as the game wont run even for a half a second im not finding it to be helpful, I tired it but nothing came up.

As of right now I only have windows firewall running as my security, I will have trend micro back up when I can purchase a subscription again in a few weeks. I have no backup/ syncing programs running. I do all my backup manually every few weeks.

Programs that run on startup, I dont know all of them but the ones that are active in the task bar are: dropbox, google gadgets, steam, logmein, logitec webcam software, intel rapid storage technology (it notifies me if there are system errors or warnings dealing with my hard drive), NVIDIA Settings.

Sims

In the Arena
retired moderator
#17 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 5:01 AM Last edited by ellacharm3d : 6th Jun 2011 at 5:15 AM.
I downloaded and updated directX, not with the file you suggested though. I downloaded directX Redist, is it a manual install because if not I have no idea what to do with it, even if it is manual, im kinda confused.
To install "DirectX Redist (June 2010)", you need to extract the files to a temp folder and then double-click on the executable just like any other installer. There is only one .exe in there.

If you'd rather do a Web install, then you need to be online and choose the "DirectX User Runtime".

If installer reports nothing to install, I think Directx updates may already be included in SP1.

I cant do the DEP because the sims doesnt run...anything at all. As soon as i click the icon to open it, it tells me it has crashed. The program doesnt even begin to open for me so the game isnt able to create any files. In my documents there is no Sims3 folder.
Uh...what?!?
DEP is a Windows feature. It does not need the game to be run once at all. You should be looking for the ts3w.exe in the Programs Files folder, since that is a program that is installed with the game, not in Documents. The DEP workaround is to help resolve the crashing. Thus why it is listed in the Workaround Wiki page. Please do read the instructions over again...Carefully!! Messing with DEP is considered to be bad, but it is the only way to help with crashing, at the moment.

ProcessMonitor did not even show any Sims 3 .exe or .package files being processed? That is not good.
You did specify the filter to be "ts3w.exe" (on 1.22 at this point, correct?), or "ts3.exe"?

Is TrendMicro still installed, even though it is not turned on?
And you do have syncing programs, my dear. Dropbox is one. As is Google Gadgets, it sync to your Google account while you're online, I believe? As is Steam.
Unless they are running, but you're not logged on? Then why have them running in the background?

If crashing still occur even after you do the DEP step, do this
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
Please go to your start menu and type msconfig in the search box.

Go the the 'Startup' tab. Uncheck EVERYTHING but your antivirus and firewall, if you have one.

Go to the 'Services' tab and check the box that says "hide all microsoft services". Again, uncheck EVERYTHING else but your antivirus and/or firewall.

Click ok and it will prompt you to restart your computer. Restart your computer.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 6:50 AM Last edited by oykawoo : 6th Jun 2011 at 7:05 AM.
Ok sorry, I just skimmed the folder and only saw rar files, not the exe. I installed it.

As for the DEP, Im just confused with it. I dont know what an xcpt.txt file is or where to find it. The instructions said "The Sims 3 produces exception (xcpt*.txt and xcpt*.mdmp) files in the user's My Documents directory when it crashes." but I cant find anything sims related there. As for program files, I see ts3w.exe in program files but what do I do with it? Im sorry Im getting confused with this.

I followed the directions as best as I could for ProcessMonitor and no it did not show any sims3 exe or package files being processed. I specified the filter to be ts3.exe like the instructions said to do.

Gotcha, I was thinking file backup for syncing programs. Ill turn all those off.

Yes TrendMicro is still installed even though its not currently on because I do plan to turn it on again soon.

I didnt do the DEP yet but, I did try turning off all but my firewall in msconfig in startup and services just as you said and did a restart but still no luck. Im still coming up with the same error. I really cant understand whats going on.

Sims

In the Arena
retired moderator
#19 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 7:38 AM Last edited by ellacharm3d : 6th Jun 2011 at 7:51 AM.
You can ignore the "Diagnosing section..." as what you're trying to do is "Change DEP Settings".

Can we uninstall TrendMicro until you do have a subscription for it?

BTW, there are free choices out there like AVAST!, Comodo, and AVG with no paid subscriptions needed.
Though AVG has been known to clash when some updates happen and things got messed up. TrendMicro has also had some conflicts reported with Sims 3 sometime ago, FYI.

I'm using Comodo Internet Security (Firewall + AV), and others here are using Avast! mostly.

I'd still like to see if ProcessMonitor report anything hung up while Sims 3 is loading. So if DEP didn't help still, use "ts3w.exe" as the filter this time.
Oh, and all this talk about ts3w, I forgot the most fundamental question: are you bypassing Launcher to start the game, still? Game Help:TS3 Bypassing the Launcherwiki
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 9:37 AM
Ive read the DEP page a few times but Im completely lost on what I need to do. It sounds like im supposed to make a brand new text file, which doesnt seem to make sense because it wouldnt have anything in it.

I have trendmicro on my laptop right now and it works fine with the sims 3 but yeah I can remove it.

Im trying both ways, with launcher first and then i try bypassing it the second time. When I try the launcher I just get an error saying it crashed. When I bypass it I get the error telling me the dll file is messed up.

Ok still havent done anything with DEP, but I ran ProcessMonitor and when i opened the launcher, nothing happened. When I ran TS3.exe though I got a bunch of stuff, its says there are 381 events for the game. Im not sure what Im looking for on here but there is a lot of stuff.

EDIT: I have removed TrendMicro and installed Avast!

Sims

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#21 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 10:37 AM
I dunno what you're reading, but the "Change DEP" section says nothing whatsoever about text files.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 11:49 PM Last edited by oykawoo : 7th Jun 2011 at 12:02 AM.
I was reading the stuff on DEP here.

Game Help:Data Execution Prevention

"Open an xcpt*.txt file with Notepad or your favorite text editor. "

Im not sure why I got so confused though sorry about that. I finally figured out DEP. I changed the settings and added TS3W.exe, restarted my computer and unfortunately like everything else we've tried. Same problem.

Sims

In the Arena
retired moderator
#23 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 5:19 AM
I'm sorry, I'm out of ideas.

The 2 possibilities I can still think off are:
- you misread something and/or misinterpreted something and/or get confused about something else, and the instructions were not followed correctly.
- if you think it cannot be operator-error, something else is wonky with the PC that we cannot help with remotely.

Just to confirm all this while, it was always the d3dx9_31.dll error, no matter what we tried?
If you want, you can post a screenshot of the error so we see what we are really dealing with and do not misinterpret your posts about the .dll error.

If you're up to posting screenshots, take one of ProcessMonitor with the ts3w.exe filter applied.

Last resort - one we have not tried - is to create a new Windows User account.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#24 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 11:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
...Since you already have a Steam account (I presume), why don't you download a couple demo and play them, download maybe 3 demo from different game developers and maybe different genres. I just want to make sure this DirectX problem is not a widespread problem, but only TS3 problem giving false alarm about DirectX. This is important, please do it. Don't need to play a lot, just download, get in the demo, get to play, run around, shoot someone, build something, make sure the game demo looks exactly as good as the screenshot, without some weird artifacts (which may point to a defective DirectX interface). Or to hope that this GT400 video card is working OK with 3D games.
<snip>
Disclaimer: I am not trying to step on anyone toe or insult anyone's intelligent, I just listed a bunch of stuff to be thorough and hopefully help OP with his problem. 80% of the time, there is a tiny little thing that we overlooked somewhere. So let's not miss a corner.

tomomi, with all due respect, I wish you'd take the time to read carefully and properly when attempting to help. While your intention is good and all, you do come across as condescending in most of your posts. I'd rather not spend my time stalking your posts and correcting you all the time (or flagging them as unhelpful), because frankly I have better things to do with my time.

First, this shows oykawoo has already installed and played games on this machine. In their very first post in this thread, I might add, no need to read so far.
...My new computer has been working awesome and I have had no problems with the games I have played until now. I just tried installing the Sims3 for the first time and when I tried to launch the game it crashed. I got an error saying that d3dx9_31.dll is not working. ...
Secondly, really?!? That wall of text is just basically a repeat of all I've said and all that we've tried.
You might want to give oykawoo a chance to read my latest response and for her/him to reply before repeating things and being redundant. Or as the netizens of a forum we love to hate (or hate to love) would say: stop threadshitting all over the place, will ya? I've let things go when they're not all incorrect, or some crap suggestions, but enough is enough.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 12:07 PM
Sorry, I did miss that line saying he did play other games before.

There was so much efforts put in by OP which failed, so I tried to branch off to deal with the problems from another perspective seeing if there is a way out. I just made the summary to recap what he did in previous posts, not purposely asking OP to redo exactly what he already did.

But anyway, sorry that you fell offended, I won't post here again.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Page 1 of 2