Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 3:07 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Is this a good laptop for Sims 3 gaming?
Hello! Firstly, I want to say I hope I've posted this in the right place - I read over all of the pre-posting stuff and there didn't seem to be anything addressing posts of this matter, so I hope it's alright!

Basically, my old setup was on a Dell desktop, barely met the bare minimum system requirements to run the game (aside from a nice upgraded graphics card). Anyhow, the time has come for me to buy a new computer, and I'm buying it specially as a gaming laptop, with Sims 3 in mind.

I did a lot of online research on the game requirements, as far as system specs go, and also what kind of system specs would provide not just decent gameplay, but great gameplay.

I believe I've found a computer that would be really great for Sims 3 gaming, but because I'm not a tech expert, I really want to be sure that it's as good as it seems/the website makes it out to be.

Here are the systems specs:
(also feel free to view them on the Asus website here: http://store.asus.com/us/item/201509AM220002986 )
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 6700HQ Processor

Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit

Chipset
Mobile Intel CM236 Express Chipset

Memory
16 GB DDR4 MHz SDRAM, up to 64 GB

Display
17.3" 16:9 IPS FHD (1920x1080) Hardware supported G-Sync

Graphic
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M with 2GB GDDR5

Storage
1TB HDD 7200 RPM

- - -
Basically, I'm wondering if I could get some input, whether or not this is the one I should go for/what quality of gameplay it will provide, roughly based on the specs? (I have the Base game+WA+AMB+LN+GEN+PETS+SHT+UNI+IP).

Thank you so much in advance, and I do apologize if this question is at all bothersome or annoying, or in the wrong place. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Cass
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 4:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Yeah, this will do, kind of an overkill. It is a game from 2009, so most modern systems are fine.

I did forget to mention that I'm a pretty big user of mods and custom content. I've had my fair share of bad experiences in the past (forgetting to download the updated version of a mod after a new patch, issues with conflicting things, corrupted CC issues, etc) so I've learned to be really good when it comes to making sure I'm not using anything that'll cause issues with my game - it's more just that it's a lot in volume.

In your opinion, would you expect this laptop to provide good, smooth gameplay? My #1 issue with the aforementioned desktop compute (see original post) is that there is just a ridiculous amount of lag. It was pretty okay when I was just playing the base game + WA + AMB, but got worse and worse with each expansion until it gradually became unplayable.

I guess I just really want to be sure that this is a computer that can give me gameplay that is smooth, fast, lag-free; that the computer can REALLY keep up. Do you think, in your opinion/from the system specs, that's what I can reasonably expect with this particular laptop?

I really appreciate your input. Thank you!
Cass
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 7:36 AM
Well if you are asking about the hardware, yeah, generation 6 i7s are more than adequate for TS3, 16GB of ram can allow you to use a huge ramdisk to make the game run smoothly. Theoretically you can get TS3 running smoothly on a lesser system. However, issues like lags and performance is as much as software as it is hardware. Some issues like routing lag and the 32-bit limitation of TS3 cannot be overcome with better hardware. Stay in touch with this forum, there are plenty of people here that will help you fine tune your game to run smoothly such as unparking your CPU, using a ramdisk, sorting your CC/mods packages, etc...

So, when it all boils down...what would your opinion be, when it comes down to it? Would this laptop be able to provide the smooth, mostly lag-free gameplay I'm looking for? As mentioned in my last response, I didn't experience much game lag or anything of the sort until I really got quite a few expansions installed and really started filling my custom content folder.

I really don't mind if I could get away with a cheaper laptop or lesser computer, as I've been meaning to upgrade anyway - rather, my concern/fear is that I'm going to sink a grand into this computer, and then have it turn out to be /not powerful enough/. Do you think that's a possibility, or should I be pretty well-off, when it comes to Sims 3 gaming?

Thank you so much again,
Cass
Instructor
#7 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 2:27 PM Last edited by PapaEmy : 28th Jun 2016 at 2:42 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by caccigirl
Storage
1TB HDD 7200 RPM

As Nitromon already described them well to you about your choice of laptop, the only thing that would holding its full performance is the HDD, yes this 7200RPM HDD is a very fast HDD, but SSD is faster and yet it also more expensive..

But TS3 as whole with its EPs SPs CCs and Mods installed, altogether you could end up about 32 - 40 Gb (or even more) files that the processor needs to process in running the game, the game engine don't read them all of them at once while the game is running, if this is the case how TS3 engine game run then there would be an easy answer to solve it, buy a 64gb of ram and just put all of them into ram.. and the system would run them blisteringly fast, but the engine game don't do that.. and only read all of them while it were loading, like its making some index lists of its database, and just run the ones its needed at a time, therefore TS3's loading time.. the more EPs SPs CC and Mods installed.. the bigger the saved game being load.. the more it takes time to load, but when the game is fully loaded it just run normal and you can see that your system don't use the whole RAM installed no matter how many GBs you have..

So since that's the nature of the TS3's game engine works, TS3 will certainly makes some writings to the HDD like caching them, now this is bad for SSD lifespan (if you have SSD though it fast for TS3 loads its database), any extensive writings should be avoided for SSD's lifespan, but if you don't have SSD.. your HDD will runs even more harder so overall it would slowing down your whole system, so basically even TS3 is a 2009 game, to get it run "ideally" with all EPs SPs CCs and Mods, in theory.. it needs both SSD to accelerate its overall loading time, and a HDD when it needs writing to cache them..

In desktop PC you can have both of them, but for laptop, it need more space to have both, so there's an option about SSHD, but still.. it's not the ideal solution for its loading time, you can add more RAM like 32bg or 64gb as another option so you can put the whole game to RAMDisk, but 32gb is not enough if you also have tons of CCs and mods, and the engine game doesn't work like that either, but how much will cost you to buy 64gb rams anyway? And the other option so you can have both SSD and HDD in your laptop, is to get dual drive SSD and HDD like this http://www.cnet.com/products/wd-black-2-dual-drive/, you can put TS3 installation files to SSD and make writings or caching to HDD like in desktop PC when SSD and HDD were installed, but is dual drive (like in the link) worth it?

I don't mean to suggest you to get any of the above, but just to give a perspective to see and to considers, that's how TS3 engine game works (let alone tweaking it to have better gameplay performance), if money is not an issue.., well it's your decision, but if satisfaction is the one that you're looking for.. in overall not just for TS3 or other gaming.., desktop PC is still the more flexible option..

But if laptop is the one you need, not just for gaming but for every other things, you might need to consider how its weight for mobility needs, the more powerful the processor is.. the more powerful the graphic video is.. the more energy needs to be stored in the battery, the more heat its creates while in full load especially when gaming, so overall.. the more management it requires to keep it in good shape, when it comes to battery's life, just don't overcharged the battery, try to avoid charging the battery to 100%.. and you'll have your battery's life as max as it can gives you..
Inventor
#8 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
So since that's the nature of the TS3's game engine works, TS3 will certainly makes some writings to the HDD like caching them, now this is bad for SSD lifespan (if you have SSD though it fast for TS3 loads its database), any extensive writings should be avoided for SSD's lifespan, but if you don't have SSD.. your HDD will runs even more harder so overall it would slowing down your whole system, so basically even TS3 is a 2009 game, to get it run "ideally" with all EPs SPs CCs and Mods, in theory.. it needs both SSD to accelerate its overall loading time, and a HDD when it needs writing to cache them..

According to recent tests, the ssd short life spam is a myth. I mean, every component has a life spam but it will an obsene amount of data written to kill a modern ssd. I think is safe to say that life spam shouldnt be a concern when deciding whether to buy an ssd.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2856...lity-fears.html
Instructor
#9 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
According to recent tests, the ssd short life spam is a myth. I mean, every component has a life spam but it will an obsene amount of data written to kill a modern ssd. I think is safe to say that life spam shouldnt be a concern when deciding whether to buy an ssd.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2856...lity-fears.html

I don't know about the recent tests, but I do hope you're right on this especially for the newer generation of SSD, I agreed with you that every component has its own life spam.. not only SSD, but I did have my very 1st SSD died on me, I bought it in December 2012, I didn't know what the cause was, but I did defrag it back then (because I didn't know I wasn't suppose to do that), maybe I treated it wrongly, but luckily it's still under its 5 years warranty so I got replacement from Corsair in 2013, and it still running until now in my laptop.., I never defrag this one as a result, and so does with the newer ones that I installed in my PCs.. I set them hybrid with HDD as the one do the writings..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 8:11 PM
Hmm

Perhaps I'm not the best person to reply to you because I think too analytically.

I want to give you a simple answer, but this isn't a simple question. Think of TS3 as more of a car engine. It requires a lot of tune-ups tweaks, etc... to get it to run lag free. Purely speaking on hardware level, yes this system will run TS3 + any or all EPs/SPs beautifully. But as I've mentioned earlier, hardware is only 1 aspect of tuning the TS3 engine. It still require other things like NRAAS mods, Kuree's savegame cleaner, etc... FPS limiters, unpark the CPU, ramdrive, etc... to make it optimal.

I guess I just don't want to give you the false impression that it is all hardware, if you spent a grand on a super gaming computer, TS3 is expected to run flawlessly. I mean, it helps, but it still requires some tune up, tweaks, etc... which many members here are more than happy to help you with once you got your system.

---

Because I mentioned a system lesser than this can run TS3 very well too and you mentioned cost etc... Well, let's not talk about TS3 specifically. I'll just give you my opinion about buying hardware.

1) i3, i5, and i7 are 3 different grades. i3 is the "budget" CPU, cheap and light. Typically i3s are dual cores. i5 is the "consumer" CPU, the one most people buy and suits the market consumer. It is more expensive than i3, but cheaper than i7. It is typically dual core hyperthreaded to quad, there are also some which are pure quad cores. Now, i7 is the "topline" CPU, so typically much more expensive. It is usually quad core hyperthreaded to 8 cores. This is usually the one a person buys for gaming or development. There are also other factors involved such as different level cache, etc... And each one of these categories themselves have subcategory of grades. Not all i7s are the same.

Now, TS3 is a dual core game and could theoretically run well on any of them. Of course, the more cores the better b/c you may be playing in window mode and surfing the web, etc... multitasking and need more cores... and of course, faster speed is good too. But TS3 aside, which CPU would a person buy? Well it is an investment issue. The higher grades will last longer in the sense that they won't be outdated as fast by new hardware. For example, I'm running a 4 yr old generation 3 i7. I suspect that I can use this i7 for at least another 4 years or more before it becomes obsolete. Now if I bought a generation 3 i5, it would probably be outdated earlier as it is slower, less cores, less cache, etc... So it is a matter of investment. How long do you plan to use your laptop before you upgrade?

2) RAM, most people only need 8GB of ram for all their gaming needs, including TS3. Anything more than that is really for developers or people who knows how to use those extra ram. It just so happened that we can use ram as a ramdisk to help improve TS3, so getting 16 wouldn't hurt. However, it depends on how much you are paying for the ram and how much they cost on the market right now. For example, when I bought my laptop in 2012, the upgrade from 8GB to 16GB was $150 from HP. So I kept the 8GB and then bought 16GB from eBay for $40. But these are like Dell or HP, big name brands. I don't know how much the vendor is charging you for the ram in this laptop. Maybe they gave you a fair price. You can ask and you can do a little research on eBay.

3) GPU and HDD seems fine. Some people may opt for a SSD instead, they're faster but more expensive, and may have shorter lifespan. GPU is fine, I'm running a GT 650m and it is more than adequate for TS3. I run it at full graphics.

Anyways, maybe someone else can weigh in and give you some opinions. I maybe making it more complicated than you had expected. :P

Thank you, I do very much appreciate your response.

You do mention some mods and other programs that would help keep the game running well. Could you possibly tell me more about the ones you mentioned, or maybe provide a list of what you'd recommend I use?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 12:20 AM
So, should I be concerned about the SSD/HDD thing? Should I possibly be looking for a different laptop than the one I have picked out?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 12:54 AM
I don't think it is a big deal. I'm using a 7200 rpm HDD and it is great. It really is up to you, mostly for budget concerns. SSD is more expensive. However, you can probably get a smaller capacity one for the same price as the 1TB HDD.

How big of a difference would it make when it comes to gameplay?
Instructor
#16 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 12:24 PM
However, when I get into a car and have the camera follow it while it drives, the FPS drops b/c the game needs to load from the HDD every lot the car drives by.

This is one of the reasons why I put my TS3 Docs folder and some of package files like the Deltabuild0.package and Fullbuild0.package from TS3 BG folder into RAMDisk, it helps a lot
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 8:33 AM
This is one of the reasons why I put my TS3 Docs folder and some of package files like the Deltabuild0.package and Fullbuild0.package from TS3 BG folder into RAMDisk, it helps a lot

I would be greatly appreciative if you could elaborate on this, what exactly you're doing and how/why it affects gameplay? Please and thank you in advance!
Instructor
#18 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 10:49 AM
I would be greatly appreciative if you could elaborate on this, what exactly you're doing and how/why it affects gameplay? Please and thank you in advance!

If you have enough ram available for RAMDisk, just put the whole TS3 Documents folder (all of Electronic Arts\The Sims3) to RAMDisk, I only use 2 saved game every time I want to play therefore my total size of TS3 Docs folder including cc/mods is about or less than 3gb in size.

I have 16gb ram and I personally prefer to use ROG RAMDisk (RRD) software from Asus, it's easier for me to use it, I just make 2 drives from RRD menu, and then just navigate to which folder I want to put in ram drive and RRD and will do the rest and saved/updated them, so I don't have to do them all over again every time i start or shut down my computer, but with this setup, it is in the expense of slowing down my Windows OS when it's starting up or shutting it down, because RRD will have to load all of them at the beginning and saved/updated them when shutting down..

So I made 2 ram drives from RRD main menu, one 3gb ram drive to put my TS3 documents folder, and the other one is 8gb ram drive, where I put all the *.package files, with RRD I can just navigate it to any folder I would like to put in my ram drive, and for example, this is how I installed my TS3.. I just navigated it to D:\Games\The Sims 3 Base Game\GameData\Shared\ and select "Package" folder so RRD will saved it to my ram drive, and I also did the same to some of the EPs package files/folders as long as my ram drive have enough space to store them..

So that's how I do it.., how I set up my hybrid setup for SSD + HDD and + RAM Disk for TS3, I installed all my TS3 including EPs SPs to my SSD, I set up my Documents folder (and all other Downloads, Music Pics, Video folders and OS paging system file) to my HDD so EA will automatically follow that and go to my HDD when creating TS3 Docs folder, then I use RRD to put TS3 Docs folder to ram drive, so the actual data files are saved in my HDD, but every time I run TS3, RRD will navigate TS3 to go to my ram drive, this helps reducing TS3 loading time, improves gameplay, and I don't have to worry TS3 or my OS will write something to my SSD, cause it will go to my ram drive for TS3 and to my HDD for OS paging system, and RRD will update them to my HDD whenever or after I'm done playing TS3
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 10:13 PM
If you have enough ram available for RAMDisk, just put the whole TS3 Documents folder (all of Electronic Arts\The Sims3) to RAMDisk, I only use 2 saved game every time I want to play therefore my total size of TS3 Docs folder including cc/mods is about or less than 3gb in size.

I have 16gb ram and I personally prefer to use ROG RAMDisk (RRD) software from Asus, it's easier for me to use it, I just make 2 drives from RRD menu, and then just navigate to which folder I want to put in ram drive and RRD and will do the rest and saved/updated them, so I don't have to do them all over again every time i start or shut down my computer, but with this setup, it is in the expense of slowing down my Windows OS when it's starting up or shutting it down, because RRD will have to load all of them at the beginning and saved/updated them when shutting down..

So I made 2 ram drives from RRD main menu, one 3gb ram drive to put my TS3 documents folder, and the other one is 8gb ram drive, where I put all the *.package files, with RRD I can just navigate it to any folder I would like to put in my ram drive, and for example, this is how I installed my TS3.. I just navigated it to D:\Games\The Sims 3 Base Game\GameData\Shared\ and select "Package" folder so RRD will saved it to my ram drive, and I also did the same to some of the EPs package files/folders as long as my ram drive have enough space to store them..

So that's how I do it.., how I set up my hybrid setup for SSD + HDD and + RAM Disk for TS3, I installed all my TS3 including EPs SPs to my SSD, I set up my Documents folder (and all other Downloads, Music Pics, Video folders and OS paging system file) to my HDD so EA will automatically follow that and go to my HDD when creating TS3 Docs folder, then I use RRD to put TS3 Docs folder to ram drive, so the actual data files are saved in my HDD, but every time I run TS3, RRD will navigate TS3 to go to my ram drive, this helps reducing TS3 loading time, improves gameplay, and I don't have to worry TS3 or my OS will write something to my SSD, cause it will go to my ram drive for TS3 and to my HDD for OS paging system, and RRD will update them to my HDD whenever or after I'm done playing TS3

You mentioned using Asus ROG software. The computer I mentioned in the original post of this thread is an Asus ROG laptop (which I ended up ordering from Best Buy yesterday!). I won't have it until next Wednesday, but I'm sort-of understanding what you're saying and it sounds like it could be a really helpful trick. If I understand right, you're moving certain folders (or perhaps all of them) so that most of the loading takes place when you boot up your computer, rather than while you're playing the game?

I would love if you could refer me to maybe some sort of step-by-step process on how to get that set up? Do you know if there is some sort of guide somewhere out there, perhaps wherever you learned it from? I would appreciate it so much. Normally I would probably be able to figure it out on my own, but it's been so long since I've even gone through the process of downloading CC/even messing with any TS3-related folders, plus I'm going to be new to Windows 10 - the system I was playing on was still on XP.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 1:36 AM
TS3 - Use Ramdisk

Here you go, study it well.

You'll need to use the same method, but for a larger ramdisk and then link the files papaemy mentioned.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!
Instructor
#22 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 9:32 AM
You mentioned using Asus ROG software. The computer I mentioned in the original post of this thread is an Asus ROG laptop (which I ended up ordering from Best Buy yesterday!). I won't have it until next Wednesday, but I'm sort-of understanding what you're saying and it sounds like it could be a really helpful trick. If I understand right, you're moving certain folders (or perhaps all of them) so that most of the loading takes place when you boot up your computer, rather than while you're playing the game?

I would love if you could refer me to maybe some sort of step-by-step process on how to get that set up? Do you know if there is some sort of guide somewhere out there, perhaps wherever you learned it from? I would appreciate it so much. Normally I would probably be able to figure it out on my own, but it's been so long since I've even gone through the process of downloading CC/even messing with any TS3-related folders, plus I'm going to be new to Windows 10 - the system I was playing on was still on XP.

Yes I did moved some folders to ram drive, "The Sims 3" folder located in Documents folder, and the "Package" folder located from TS3 BG folder and also the ones that located in each EP folder, the BG "package" folder by default located in C:\ProgramsFiles(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\.., just navigate to the EP's installation folder for each EP.

To download the RRD software you can download it here, it works for Asus ROG products and Asus non ROG products as well (it's even work with my Lenovo laptop with no compatibility problem) : http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...pDesk_Download/ , from there just go to "Driver and Tools", select your OS, navigate to Utilities and look for RAMDisk

After that just install it, restart your computer, launch RRD, and from RRD menu;

1. Set the drive you want to make for ram drive and type the amount of megabyte you want to create for ram drive, 1024 for 1gb, 2048 for 2gb ... 8192 for 8gb
2. Click the "Add" button to create the ram drive
3. Click Junction Tab, you'll see your ram drive you've just created is ready for you
4. Click "Browse" to navigate to the folder(s) you want to put in the ram drive
5. Click "Add" button to put them in the ram drive, and you're good to go..

Notes:

1. If you put your whole TS3 Docs folder to ram drive like me, don't forget to saved them to your HDD after playing by clicking the synchronize button to update the HDD
2. If you want to remove them from ram drive after playing, go to junction tab and just click the trash button next to them
3. If you want to remove or dismount the ram drive (after you removed its contents), go to disk tab and click the trash button next to them
4. If you don't do the 3 steps above, when you shut down your computer, your OS will go slow when shutting down because RRD are saving them, and also will take more time for your OS to load up next time you turn it on because RRD loading the ones that been saved previously.

To answer your question about loading time, no.. the most loading did not take place at booting up the computer, that only for RRD to get your ram drive(s) ready and to fill them back with whatever you'd put them there earlier (if you didn't move them out before shutting down the computer), the loading will take place after the game is launched (not just for TS3), instead of loading whatever the game engine needs to run from HDD and/or SSD, the RRD navigates the game engine to find them and load them from ram drive(s) you've set earlier.

Note for Windows 10:

1. Since you're buying new laptop with pre-installed Windows 10 (I assumed), if they didn't give you an OS installer copy disc, you'll need to download one for your own copy cause you might need to add some few things in the future from the installer like the .Net3FX (3.5 included) for Windows 10, and its's located under the Source\SXS folder in your OS installer copy. RRD might need it before you can install it.., they should have installed it for you since you bought the pre-installed one, but just to be safe, you have to have a copy of your own, you won't need a serial key even if something happen and you need to reinstall your Win 10, once it's installed in your machine.., it's yours forever and you don't need to call them for reactivation unless you changed the motherboard of your laptop.

2. You might need to install Microsoft Visual C++ (Redistributable) 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2013 (both x86 and x64 versions if you have 64bit OS)

3. You might need to get your new laptop's gpu recognized by TS3 before you play the game (and only do this after you have patched your game to 1.67), and one last thing is also important is... please........... don't touch patch 1.69 no matter what..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 3:54 PM
Yes I did moved some folders to ram drive, "The Sims 3" folder located in Documents folder, and the "Package" folder located from TS3 BG folder and also the ones that located in each EP folder, the BG "package" folder by default located in C:\ProgramsFiles(x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\.., just navigate to the EP's installation folder for each EP.

To download the RRD software you can download it here, it works for Asus ROG products and Asus non ROG products as well (it's even work with my Lenovo laptop with no compatibility problem) : http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...pDesk_Download/ , from there just go to "Driver and Tools", select your OS, navigate to Utilities and look for RAMDisk

After that just install it, restart your computer, launch RRD, and from RRD menu;

1. Set the drive you want to make for ram drive and type the amount of megabyte you want to create for ram drive, 1024 for 1gb, 2048 for 2gb ... 8192 for 8gb
2. Click the "Add" button to create the ram drive
3. Click Junction Tab, you'll see your ram drive you've just created is ready for you
4. Click "Browse" to navigate to the folder(s) you want to put in the ram drive
5. Click "Add" button to put them in the ram drive, and you're good to go..

Notes:

1. If you put your whole TS3 Docs folder to ram drive like me, don't forget to saved them to your HDD after playing by clicking the synchronize button to update the HDD
2. If you want to remove them from ram drive after playing, go to junction tab and just click the trash button next to them
3. If you want to remove or dismount the ram drive (after you removed its contents), go to disk tab and click the trash button next to them
4. If you don't do the 3 steps above, when you shut down your computer, your OS will go slow when shutting down because RRD are saving them, and also will take more time for your OS to load up next time you turn it on because RRD loading the ones that been saved previously.

To answer your question about loading time, no.. the most loading did not take place at booting up the computer, that only for RRD to get your ram drive(s) ready and to fill them back with whatever you'd put them there earlier (if you didn't move them out before shutting down the computer), the loading will take place after the game is launched (not just for TS3), instead of loading whatever the game engine needs to run from HDD and/or SSD, the RRD navigates the game engine to find them and load them from ram drive(s) you've set earlier.

Note for Windows 10:

1. Since you're buying new laptop with pre-installed Windows 10 (I assumed), if they didn't give you an OS installer copy disc, you'll need to download one for your own copy cause you might need to add some few things in the future from the installer like the .Net3FX (3.5 included) for Windows 10, and its's located under the Source\SXS folder in your OS installer copy. RRD might need it before you can install it.., they should have installed it for you since you bought the pre-installed one, but just to be safe, you have to have a copy of your own, you won't need a serial key even if something happen and you need to reinstall your Win 10, once it's installed in your machine.., it's yours forever and you don't need to call them for reactivation unless you changed the motherboard of your laptop.

2. You might need to install Microsoft Visual C++ (Redistributable) 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2013 (both x86 and x64 versions if you have 64bit OS)

3. You might need to get your new laptop's gpu recognized by TS3 before you play the game (and only do this after you have patched your game to 1.67), and one last thing is also important is... please........... don't touch patch 1.69 no matter what..

Oh, dear...what happened with patch 1.69? (and is that the current patch?)
Instructor
#24 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 8:18 PM
Oh, dear...what happened with patch 1.69? (and is that the current patch?)

yes it's the latest one, and if you buy the game via Origin your TS3 will automatically be 1.69, if you have the original TS3 installer disc including all its EPs and SPs discs, all you need just patch them with SuperPatch 1.67, and unchecked the automatic update option from TS3 Launcher main menu to prevent updating your game to 1.69, I don't know about 1.69, but I heard it's problematic with some mods..

PS: Don't forget to install FPS Limiter for playing TS3 to protect your laptop gpus, either FPS Limiter or Nvidia Inspector which ever one fit your new laptop since your laptop seems like to have dual gpus, on i7 chip and Nvidia GTX965M, I don't know about ROG laptop if it's dual switchable graphics feature but it seems like one..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 6th Jul 2016 at 5:19 AM
yes it's the latest one, and if you buy the game via Origin your TS3 will automatically be 1.69, if you have the original TS3 installer disc including all its EPs and SPs discs, all you need just patch them with SuperPatch 1.67, and unchecked the automatic update option from TS3 Launcher main menu to prevent updating your game to 1.69, I don't know about 1.69, but I heard it's problematic with some mods..

PS: Don't forget to install FPS Limiter for playing TS3 to protect your laptop gpus, either FPS Limiter or Nvidia Inspector which ever one fit your new laptop since your laptop seems like to have dual gpus, on i7 chip and Nvidia GTX965M, I don't know about ROG laptop if it's dual switchable graphics feature but it seems like one..

I have all of my game discs, that will definitely be how I'm installing them.

How do I go about patching my game to 1.67, and what is SuperPatch? (apologies for all of the questions. again, it's been ages since I've even thought about Sims and I'm more than a little outside the current loop). Thank you again.
Cass
Page 1 of 2