Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 2:33 PM
Default Create-Your-Own Plumbob
So I know that this is Sims related; however I am not talking about creating an In-Game plumbob.
I'm talking about creating one that you can physically hold in your hand.
Via whatever means makes you happy; clay, plaster, plastic, rubber, paper, wood, etc.

Has anyone else ever wanted to make one? Have you ever actually done it? In what medium did you create your plumbob? What did you create it for?

I found two plumbob papercrafts on the internet. One is a lame three-sided thing, which looks odd because plumbobs are six sided. The other is a fairly accurate six-sided plumbob, but it is slightly harder to make properly since you actually have to make two halves and then tape them together.
I can't find the link to the 3-sided one, but here is the 6-Sided one (which is better, IMO.)

I also found a plush plumbob that someone has made, which is thought was freakin' adorable. I might have to try my hand at that next.

Anyway; I made both the 3-sided and 6-sided paper plumbobs and then got a neat idea; I printed out and laminated various sizes of the 6-sided one to used as a mold for making plaster plumbobs.
I've got the original size, to use as a decorative bit of clutter (or perhaps I'll make a set and make some Plumbob Bookends), a slightly smaller paper-weight size, a small necklace size and a super tiny earring size.
Since you have to glue two of the paper ones together, I'm currently waiting on the first half of my plumbobs to dry out before I make the second half. Once they're all dry I'll glue them together somehow and sand the faces nice and flat.

I looked around and didn't see any sort of discussion like this; although if there is one please point me to it.
Also, note to mods; I couldn't find an appropriate place for this in the Sims Creativity so I put it here.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 21st Sep 2012 at 11:37 AM
When I was 12, I made a tiny paper plumbbob, and coloured it in green. Then I glued it to the end of a chopstick because that's what the wands in The Sims: Making Magic looked like... :P