Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gunmod's Radiance Light System 2.4 *4/29/09*

by dDefinder Posted 27th Jun 2008 at 3:46 PM - Updated 29th Apr 2009 at 1:24 PM by dDefinder : to 2.4

556 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 481 Feedback Posts, 74 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 7 of 23
Test Subject
#151 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 10:16 PM Last edited by iluvamylee : 17th Oct 2008 at 10:41 PM.
So... I'm very confused. Terribly sorry, but how do you uninstall this? I am about to install it, and I want to know what to do if I end up not liking it. If it has already been said, would someone please show me what page? Again, so sorry if it's already been explained.

Also, should I go ahead and back up all of my program files too?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#152 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 10:43 PM
The easiest way to remove the Radiance is to run the Scriptorium installer and choose the option "Restore Maxis Lights & Uninstall Scriptorium". Of course, you can use the Scriptorium to install it, too

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#153 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 11:11 PM
Haha, it's that easy? I really wasn't expecting something so simple. Well, thank you very much, Numenor.

P.S. And thanks for all of the awesome downloads, too!
Test Subject
#154 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 3:43 PM
Just AMAZING, I have just played with the mod and I'm shocked... It looks fantastic :P

Kiss Kiss... Bang! Bang!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#155 Old 20th Oct 2008 at 9:27 AM
For anyone interested, the SMARTER LIGHTS mod has been updated.

(I hope that dDefender isn't annoyed by my "advertising" it here After all, it's a mod specifically tweaked on the Radiance users' needs )

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#156 Old 25th Oct 2008 at 7:54 PM
Awesome!! Amazing!! Outstanding!! Can't find enough words to describe how much I liked this mod. Thanks for sharing and adding a lot more fun to my game.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#157 Old 25th Oct 2008 at 9:25 PM
Sorry for advertising again, but this may interest the Radiance users, too.

I've created some Courtesy Lights specifically tweaked for use with the Radiance. If a room is too dark to click the objects in it, then a Courtesy Light may help (hopefully, this will make things easier for those Radiance users that think that the Radiance is "too dark" )

Forum Resident
#158 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 2:33 AM
Thank you both! I have always loved this light system! It does seem a bit dark to me, but I will have to check the items in game like noted. Many thanks!

Sims Utopia...where your sims dreams become reality!

Click above to check out my site for more updates :)

New Roleplay site Sims Utopia the town that never dies..
Field Researcher
#159 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 3:41 AM
stupid question for you here - I use a laptop with an nvidia 256mb graphics chip in it (a GeForce Go 6150) and I'm wondering whether or not my laptop would be able to handle the radiance lighting system or not?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#160 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 8:23 AM
Thanks for the update Numenor its always wecomed, as well as the Courtesy Lights there both very useful!!

@`kiki
If you can play with the lighting settings on High without constant FPS drops than it can play with the radiance mod.

"High difficulty can lead to Phoenix Down addiction."
Lab Assistant
#161 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 5:47 AM
Thank you so much for keeping this mod going. Has to be the best cosmetic mod there is!
Lab Assistant
#162 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 7:02 AM
i love you. seriously!

online once again!
(haven't opened this account for years..)

Friendster profile :)

Facebook proffii:D
Lab Assistant
#163 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 7:03 AM
and by the way nice graphics card XD

online once again!
(haven't opened this account for years..)

Friendster profile :)

Facebook proffii:D
Lab Assistant
#164 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 11:15 PM
Is this compatible with AP?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#165 Old 3rd Nov 2008 at 9:15 AM
Yes it is. If you read the first lines of the post, dDefinder mentions updating/fixing several Apartment Life objects (witch-craftables, bohemian windows, apartment doors...)

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#166 Old 4th Nov 2008 at 1:59 PM
2.3 Beta 1.8 NOV-04

-Re-check SP and EP lights and tweak accordingly
-Removed debug lines in userstartup.cheat
-Increased pool lights practical fallout range
-Reduced vending machine fallout range
-Reduced night practical global lighting to provide lighting balance with diffusion
-Reduced practical lighting during the day
-Adjusted indoor window cast and outside pole lights
-Adjusted season’s outdoor lighting and sun positions.
-Adjusted custom/default lighting
-Fixed blue snow during overcast.
-Fixed wrong witch floor lamp light color.
-Fixed certain wall lamps not casting light correctly
-Fixed spring’s incorrect shadowing which made the lot darker than other seasons.

"High difficulty can lead to Phoenix Down addiction."
Test Subject
#167 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 2:13 PM
I love this mod! The lighting effects made the buildings look beautiful, so much so that I went a bit crazy taking photos of a historic mansion I'd built. Thank you so much!

The only thing that bothers me is that most of the Maxis lights are quite dark. Where I used to have 2 wall lights in a room, increasing them to 4 still leaves some rooms dark. In the photo below, you'll see a room with wall lights on all 4 sides, but the Sims are still dark.

The ModFather
retired moderator
#168 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 5:21 PM
Those wall chandeliers cast little light, just like in real life. You should add a ceiling light, imho, or add some floor lights, in style with the historical theme.

Field Researcher
#169 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 11:22 PM
ok I have to say this is great. Sadly, I downloaded this and I haven't seen a difference (I have an Intel video card, and it sucks).
I tried setting everything to high (graphics, etc.), and it still didn't work for some reason.

what would be the minimum requirements for this mod to work? (video card-wise) what I mean is, what's the lowest video card I could have that would still allow this mod to work?

When the smoke clears, you can consider us even.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#170 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 2:36 AM
If you can't see any difference, it's not a problem of computer specs. You probably didn't install it correctly. Have you performed the manual installation, or have you used the Scriptorium?

Test Subject
#171 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 9:06 AM Last edited by ileana98 : 10th Nov 2008 at 2:03 PM. Reason: fixed photo link; added test results with Smarter Lights
Thanks for the suggestion, Numenor.

It appears that the lighting problem with those wall lights corrected itself. Here's the same scene a few days later, without my having to do anything. I think the problem was that I had just installed the mod, and the lights on the opposing walls not shown in the picture were not lighting up. I read somewhere that it takes up to 24 hours for the effect to work completely. I also took out the "Smarter Lights" mod. Maybe that'd explain why the problem fixed itself?

Without "Smarter Lights" - snow is falling, visible on right side of image

With "Smarter Lights" - slight difference in lighting; snow is no longer falling
The ModFather
retired moderator
#172 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 5:02 PM
Comparing these new snapshots with your previous one, there's so much more light in the room that it seems like there is no Radiance any more -
As for the Smarter Lights, it only modifies the timing of the automatic on/off of the lamps, it doesn't modify in any way the overall lighting of the game; the (very little) difference between the two shots must be due to the snow that stopped falling.

Field Researcher
#173 Old 11th Nov 2008 at 3:00 AM Last edited by omgrawr213 : 13th Nov 2008 at 1:00 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
If you can't see any difference, it's not a problem of computer specs. You probably didn't install it correctly. Have you performed the manual installation, or have you used the Scriptorium?

well I used the Scriptorium for 2.3, but for some reason I didn't see a difference (I tried the dark room with the many sculptures test like the screenshot on this thread and the whole room lit up with just one light).

Does the scriptorium automatically put all the files in their correct places without even having to go to this page for download?

EDIT: Nevermind Numenor, I figured it out. I checked my Lights folders for my EPs after reinstalling the Scriptorium, and I realized that there were two folder for the base game (since I have deluxe), and only one of them had the RLS documents.

I saw an amazing difference in lighting afterward. It's hard to describe exactly how amazing it was though. :]

When the smoke clears, you can consider us even.
Test Subject
#174 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 5:28 AM
Thanks, Numenor. I think I need to delete some lights so that the Radiance effect shows up better.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#175 Old 17th Nov 2008 at 9:43 AM Last edited by Numenor : 21st Nov 2008 at 11:43 AM.
omgrawr213 - Probably this is due to the Scriptorium old code, that was not fully compatible with (Double)Deluxe.
In Deluxe, anyway, you should NOT have two base-game lights folders: the right one is
C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\Lights
(as opposed to the standard folder C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Lights, that you should NOT have in your game installation).

EDIT: I've corrected the path mentioned above: there was an error, I forgot the "TSData" part.

Page 7 of 23